PDA

View Full Version : Heal/Repair Improvement idea

Paxsmickey
11-09-2011, 06:42 AM
As it stands now there is little reason for a high heal/repair skill especially if you have a healing spell, because you can simply heal yourself then use the shrine to restore you remaining Hp and Sp, and when someone is in the negative healing 1 Hp per healer kit is nowhere near effective. (I hear there is a possibility for repair to effect repairing items?)

In 4th edition of D&D a high heal skill gave a bonus to healing surges when used in combat, and I was thinking, "why not do that in DDO?"

My idea: you get a +0.5% per skill point in heal to the amount you are healed by a spell. In other words, if I have 50 skill points in heal I would get a +25% bonus to the amount I am healed, so the 24 hp I would be healed becomes 30.

The bonus doesn't seem to be too much, and would validate a high heal skill. Furthermore it would encourage Clerics, Favored souls, Paladins, and Rangers to consider putting points in heal.

Repair would act the same way for war forged (and maybe self-forged?)
On that note, are self-forged (construct-essence) considered to be constructs, and therefore use repair instead of heal?

Just a thought, thanks for reading.

Dilbon
11-09-2011, 06:45 AM
I've been thinking about the exact same idea. The only downside is that WF wizards would be even more overpowered with their high repair skill.

Meetch1972
11-09-2011, 06:49 AM
I'd like to see someone with more insight than me explore this. :) Edit: For the above WF wiz issue, perhaps the repair spell could be easier to interrupt?

WannaBeDonator
11-09-2011, 07:00 AM
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3931561&postcount=117

And yeah, /sign

Those skills need love.

Snootch
11-09-2011, 07:13 AM
I have been thinking about this lately, as well: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=349272.

Basically, the Healer's and Repair Kits have become obsolete for the following reason: Echoes of Power grants free Spell Points once you get below 12 SP, meaning that you can just cast Repair or Cure until the person revives (those spells cost between 6-12 SP).

The low-level spells used to cost more SP, but Turbine changed that recently (I think Update 9...?) by making the costs be based on output. Hence, a lot of spells got cheaper. And with the inclusion of Echoes of Power, all you need to do is wait a few seconds to continuously have 12 SP and Cure/Repair people.

The Heal and Repair skills, however, are not obsolete. However, they really only serve one benefit anymore since using the Kits has become obsolete. That benefit is found at the Rest Shrines, where the whole party (and yourself) can benefit from a high Heal or Repair skill, depending on race, of course. This is free HP, as I see it, and much better than waiting around for a long time for Echoes of Power give you 12 SP to cast low-level spells (that would be too expensive with Empower Healing Spell or Empower Spell on).

As for Warforged spellcasters being "overpowered," that continues to be a myth. Simply put, people build Warforged Arcane spellcasters so that they can cast the Repair spells (usually just Reconstruct) on themselves. They call this self-healing, and the amount of resources needed to be a self-Repairer cuts into other aspects of the build. But the Repair spells never take into account the Repair Skill, just like no healing spell takes the Heal Skill into account. This means that all that a Warforged character gets from a high Repair Skill is the higher HP regeneration from resting at a Shrine. There is simply no other benefit than that. (Even though Healer's and Repair Kits are now obsolete, one cannot use Kits on oneself!) So don't think that Warforged Arcane spellcasters are overpowered just because they allocate resources to self-Repairing. I instead like to think of overpowered parties where there is a party healer and party repairer, as opposed to everyone watering down their toons so as to heal/repair themselves. That lets people specialize and do better, and thus have more power.

Lastly, I would not personally be in favor of having the Heal or Repair skills making their respective spells any better. However, I do like your thoughts on making the party Healer and party Repairer roles more valuable in DDO. My ideas have been laid out in my post link above, but to restate them here, I'd like to see Incapacitation being expanded upon. I would like to see only Healers/Repairers being able to resuscitate those who are Incapacitated, which would be a Heal/Repair SKILL function, and thus bar magic from resuscitating Incapacitated characters. That is, if Incapacitation can only be corrected through the use of the Heal or Repair Skill (and using those neat Kits), then you bet your tacos that people would take the role (as this is a role-playing game) of party Healer or Repairer more seriously.

Shy of making the Heal and Repair skills more valuable, as we are suggesting, then I think that Turbine should just get rid of those skills and incorporate them both into another skill. I think that Concentration would do fine there, though I would much prefer the enhancing the value and need for those skills than removing them.

Snootch

arkonas
11-09-2011, 08:39 AM
you know i actually like this idea that it could add a little more healing amp. with heal some wf really need it. lol

MysteryNotes
11-09-2011, 08:40 AM
This sounds like a great idea /signed!

MrkGrismer
11-09-2011, 09:04 AM
Actually, if taking the skill gave you a small 'SLA-like' ability that worked kind of like a CLW/CMW/CSW (or even a mass CLW if above 20 ranks or something) it would be more useful. The more ranks the more healz per click. It would be useful to characters that did not have healing spells, for instance. Simply having a 2-5 minute cooldown would make it useful for 'topping off' or emergency use when running away (to regroup) without making it overly useful in battle.

Dilbon
11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
1 hp per heal/repair skill point healed. Requires a healing/repair kit. 1 minute cooldown. Could work.

kaleid0star
11-09-2011, 09:34 AM
/signed

the heal and repair skills need some love, i should know because I never take it on my cleric and its a class skill (>_<)

danotmano1998
11-09-2011, 09:49 AM
I couldn't help but /facepalm when I realized what the "heal" skill is actually for in DDO.
I have no idea why they would put so many skills in that have almost zero actual usefulness.

I would be ecstatic just to be able to use "heal" kits to "heal". I know, crazy idea, right? :p

Base kit could be 10 points of healing, +1 per rank of skill.
So a heal kit could be worth 50hp or more to the right builds. Or even just make bandages exactly on par with a basic cure light wounds potion. With bonuses based on healing skill?

/Not signed to use the skill to amp spells, instead signed to make the skill more universally usable.

Snootch
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
/Not signed to use the skill to amp spells, instead signed to make the skill more universally usable.

I agree. I think that Incapacitation should only be remedied by Kits instead of spells.

Also, I take Heal and Diplomacy for my Clerics. I appreciate the rest shrine benefits and the ability to eliminate aggro en masse. Concentration is redundant with the Quicken Spell (which I always take).

So I would just like to see the Healer's and Repair Kits come back to usefulness. Either do that or eliminate the skills. I think Turbine should make the kits NECESSARY by preventing magic to resuscitate those who are Incapacitated.

Snootch

BadBuy
11-23-2011, 12:35 PM
/Signed for enhanced usefullness.

The skill is a total waste and it always hurt my heart putting ap in improved Heal I and II for Radiant Servant PrE.
40 skill points in the skill is worth almost as much as one Radiant Burst at best.