PDA

View Full Version : Why PvP in DDO sucks?

GregorianPL
11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
I am waiting for answer. PvP in DDO is boring why we dont add to DDO Guild Wars battles on the Airships or somthing else ? People are escaping DDO because there is no PvP. Turbine please do somthing.

I just wanna say, all MMO games now are based on PvP but not DDO... We have Guilds but really what for ? Guild should be a formation of merchants, warriors or mages... also there should be Evil Alignment with no doubt. I am Fan of D&D and also Player of DDO, imho this game is not going in the right direction im sure turbine would be able to earn more money and players could have some differentiation from grinding equip, leveling and raiding, Turbine can also give us rewards for PvP, but casters should be nerfed on PvP also its not funny to be 1 hited as fully geared barbarian with 1k hp in D&D it couldnt happen.

Please comment and join the discussion.

AmatsukaIncarnate
11-07-2011, 02:08 PM
The main reason for the naysayers to PVP in DDO is balance.

The amount of damage we deal versus the amount of damage we can take is HIGHLY imbalanced. For lots of endgame characters, one spell or one swing can kill an average level 20 character.

Kmnh
11-07-2011, 02:14 PM
We have a pretty solid PVP system on DDO, but people don't use it. At most you see a few idiots trying to gank people in the lobster. It's a sad sight: 6 people sitting at the balcony, waiting to attack when they see that someone is distracted.

Enoach
11-07-2011, 02:19 PM
DDO Bar Fights <> PvP

If all you ever do is Lobster Brawling area than you have not truly seen DDO PvP.

Brawling areas are great places to mess around for a bit while waiting on a group, or to check out new gear etc. Its also a great place for a level 7 character to get constantly owned by level 20 characters. A place for people to be jerks to each other while feeling superior...

Try out the PvP arena's where you can actually set up a fight between you and another, or groups against groups.

rdasca
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
I am waiting for answer. PvP in DDO is boring why we dont add to DDO Guild Wars battles on the Airships or somthing else ? People are escaping DDO because there is no PvP. Turbine please do somthing.

I just wanna say, all MMO games now are based on PvP but not DDO... We have Guilds but really what for ? Guild should be a formation of merchants, warriors or mages... also there should be Evil Alignment with no doubt. I am Fan of D&D and also Player of DDO, imho this game is not going in the right direction im sure turbine would be able to earn more money and players could have some differentiation from grinding equip, leveling and raiding, Turbine can also give us rewards for PvP, but casters should be nerfed on PvP also its not funny to be 1 hited as fully geared barbarian with 1k hp in D&D it couldnt happen.

Because DDO (D&D) is not built on the premise of Character vs. Character battles and for most of the DDO population agrees with this. Balance is next to imposable to achieve in PvP because of the type of classes that are in DDO.

For example, you call for a ‘nerf’ of casters in PvP, why? Because they can kill your toon?
Ok, how about we ‘nerf’ a barbarian’s rage and frenzy abilities, next the rouge’s assassination, and the arcane archer’s muli-shot slayer arrow combo, of course we cannot have clerics healing themselves so ‘nerf’ that as well, and you know what monks hit to fast, so slow them down … ect …

You get the idea yet?

As for guild vs. guild airship wars, sounds cool; however, it will never fly. Why? Simple put up and LFM for a 12 person team vs. team PvP and see how long it fills, now do this every night for a month, if at the end of that month you are still filling in any amount of reasonable time I might change my opinion, but not likely to happen.

As for your suggestion of having evil alignment in the game, why? What would be the point, so you can steal people’s loot? Oh wait you can’t do that in this game, so maybe it is because you want to help the monsters beat those pesky adventures that come into their lairs, nope can’t do that either, oh wait I know it is so you can raise your undead army and take over Stormreach for yourself, oh never mind.

The only reason to be evil in this game is so you can say “hey look I’m evil, how cool is that” no thanks.

Vordax
11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
... but casters should be nerfed on PvP also its not funny to be 1 hited as fully geared barbarian with 1k hp in D&D it couldnt happen.

Actually in PnP D&D, there would be absolutely no chance that a level 20 barbarian could kill a level 20 wizard, and yes a level 20 barb getting 1-shotted in PnP by a level 20 wizard would be the norm, not the exception.

Vordax

Galeria
11-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Are you actually lamenting the fact that you can't grief lowbies?

The PVP instances are a blast, if you haven't tried them. My favorite is the capture the flag one but the men in the family like the TOD one.

Get 12 people, divide up into teams and go for it. They are really a lot of fun and require totally different strategies than dungeons.

If you are upset that you can't PVP people who don't want to fight you or are 4 levels lower than you... sorry. I'd hate to see the game go that direction and I'd leave. I don't want to play a game where ganking other players is entertainment.

I think some structure for the PVP arenas and some achievements would help encourage it, but it's really hard to set anything like that up and not immediately have it exploited. If you are looking for "what do I get out of it" then there's no reason to PVP. If you just want to have fun, set up a blue/red team and try it.

countfitz
11-07-2011, 03:01 PM

1. Dungeons and Dragons is NOT a player vs. player game. It is a team game vs. the Dungeon Master (Turbine) which creates quests for our teams to play in.

2. Since all other MMOs are "based on PvP" then why would DDO try to compete with them when it has a monopoly (as of this month) on truly well balanced PvE MMOs? If they focused on PvP then they would just be one more run of the mill MMO that wouldn't have anything special to offer. Their sucess is based on the fact that we DON'T do that.

3. People are NOT escaping DDO because of a lack of PvP, and in fact, if you look under just about any thread in this forum referencing PvP, almost everyone agrees they DON'T want it, and would in fact leave if the developers started to spend time on it instead of the myriad of things we really do want, like finishing the PREs, Druids, Gnomes, Eberron races, and adding end level quests. People are escaping DDO because they've taken too long on this and because other MMOs that are NOT based on PvP are being released.

4. The player base of DDO is mature, friendly players (I'm biased, I play on Thelanis) who enjoy each other's company and play as much for the game as the friends and fun. Turning this into a grief fest, teabagging game where only the best players have any fun, with immature children (or adults acting that way) like every other MMO and FPS would bring an end to Turbine's success.

5. And you are SO WRONG in saying a wizard could not 1 hit a Barbarian in real PnP D&D. In fact, not only could a 20th level wizard in PnP do that, but could take out an army of Barbarians, all level 20, while sitting in a self cast impervious castle, and be dinning with the gods themselves, in just one round. At least in 3.0 and 3.5. And don't get me started on what a druid or cleric could do.

SisAmethyst
11-07-2011, 04:50 PM
5. And you are SO WRONG in saying a wizard could not 1 hit a Barbarian in real PnP D&D. In fact, not only could a 20th level wizard in PnP do that, but could take out an army of Barbarians, all level 20, while sitting in a self cast impervious castle, and be dinning with the gods themselves, in just one round. At least in 3.0 and 3.5. And don't get me started on what a druid or cleric could do.

Mhhhh, lets see, a cleric could probably cast Destruction (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Destruction) or Wail of the Banshee (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Wail_of_the_Banshee) and as most clerics are some kind of sadists (despite the common believe they are good helpfull people) just to cast afterwards a Resurrection spell to kill him once again.

Well if I think of it right, that would be to expensive, too quick and the Barbarian could maybe accidently save on Fortitude.

Lets see, what is an other week save, especially before he can get into rage? Will? How about casting Greater Command (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Greater_Command) and just spank him to death while he lie prone? That would be much more worthwhile. However I guess a Cleric wouldn't even bother about the Barbarian but just tell the God who he dine with to rumble the earth with an Earthquake that bring the barbarian to his knees to bow before the one with greater power.

Anyway, I totally agree, but maybe GregorianPL played a different kind of D&D then us?

Also I agree to Enoach and Galeria that the private PvP arenas are a totally different kind then the tavern brawls, and I even remember some tough fights there in mid level with some strangers.

Battlehawke
11-07-2011, 06:31 PM
....because DDO has more Devs than people that actually want to PVP! Not a lot of people who played PnP tried to kill each other....it way usually your party vs the world of evil.....usually..

herzkos
11-07-2011, 07:46 PM
a thread asking for better pvp and wants evil alignments added?
sir or ma'am, i respectfully suggest that you read the eula/coc.
specifically the part where it says role playing is not an excuse for griefing.

Exanimus
11-08-2011, 09:59 AM
GregorianPL...already been mentioned by several people why PvP is the way it is or lack thereof in ddo...i find fault with 'all MMO games now are based on PvP but not DDO' that's a lie. if you want a real debate never resort to padding your arguements with outright falsehoods, makes your entire statement pointless.

not all mmo's are based solely upon PvP, in fact it's about 50/50 and in many PvP is optional, not required.

Chai
11-08-2011, 12:45 PM

DDO has two options regarding surviving in the MMO world. They can either emulate other games, or they can hold onto their niche market they have already cultivated.

The "games that cater to the LCD of people on the internet" market is already saturated. Why would Turbine want to jump into that market and try to compete?

Many players play DDO due to the fact that it is not one of those "other games". My exagerated hyperbolic view of the MMO market is as follows:

1. WOW - one game. scads of LCD players
2. WOW clones - games that try to emulate the WOW experience to make money - cant beat em? join em.
3. Not WOW clones. Few and far between - use different unique game mechanics to cater to niche markets.

The equally exagerated view of "all MMOs are centered around PVP" is rebuked by "DDO is not trying to be those other games".

Grenada
11-08-2011, 07:51 PM
1. get 12 bored guildies (or 12 people you know/can convince to join you)
2. roll up vets if you can, otherwise just level 1s will do
3. assign teams using a raid group
4. arena battle or ctf
5. now wasn't that enjoyable without having everyone being OP/needing nerf/needing love/etc ?

You can try this at higher levels, but its a little harder to balance, especially if you have a mixed group of geared and not-so-geared characters. That's why rolling up vets makes it a lot more fun.

Memnir
11-08-2011, 07:58 PM
It sucks for two reasons.

The devs put it in as an afterthought, and haven't improved it much since.
The game is not balanced for PvP - nor should it be. Ever.

amnota
11-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Because that's the way uh huh uh huh we like it.

Flavilandile
11-09-2011, 03:48 AM
Yeah PvP sucks... too bad...

As Memnir said, PvP in DDO is an afterthought that came with module 3... so 8 Month after the game was released.
And since then ( October 2006 ) it has almost not changed. The most important change being the removal of the PvP Leaderboard because it was broken beyond repair from the begining.

As for the Barbarian surviving as spell caster ?

As a Wizard : Cast a Wish ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wish.htm )
As a Cleric : Call his god for a Miracle ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/miracle.htm )

And that's just two carefully selected spells...
there's more, for example : http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stormOfVengeance.htm

No way a melee is going to last long enough to be in range to kill a spellcaster in D&D.

Such755
11-11-2011, 03:13 PM
I like it the way it is.
Most people aren't drawn to PvP either because it sucks or they aren't here for that purpose, so more people focus on quests, the main feature of the game, and the reason that at least I am here.
Less people who PvP = more people who do quests.
You can say something like "If pvp will be better, it will draw people who only PvP into the game, and you'll still have the same amount of people for quests". I think it will still lower the number of questers.

By the way guilds can be used to gather people who have things in common (same timezome, all team players, all speak the same language, etc etc etc) and connect them for the favor of questing. Not only for PvP.

GregorianPL
11-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, i see you were playing different d&d than i do. There where i am playing mage is totally exhausted after throwing 1sic! high level spell, and by the way if you ever could be interested the council of wizards let them teach to fight with light weapons after one of them met that strong fighter so he could survive all of his spells..

Now lets see we have a heavy fortification that let us avoid damage from Criticals from melees why we cant avoid a critical from spellcaster ? fortification should work on it... we have a dr to any of physical damage but we dont have dr to spells expect some crapy magic resistance when casters have much much above 40 spell penetration, protection 120 dmg or 30 resistance to elements..

McFlay
11-12-2011, 01:38 PM
I think a melee would absolutely crush a caster 1v1 in the old turn based D&D games I used to play. Sure casters get their big godly spells but...

1. Casters couldn't move while casting...meanwhile in DDO they can run backwards hopping around and still manage to cast.

2. The beefier spells tended to have long cast times. Meanwhile in DDO everything is pretty much instant cast with the right set up.

3. Casters were extremely limited as to what they could cast. I'm sure everyone remembers the old x number of level 1 spells, x of level 2, etc system. Meanwhile in DDO casters can run around spamming their highest level spells endlessly.

4. Oldschool D&D had friendly fire and you could hit yourself. Sure I can see why they disallow this in pvm, but why is it in pvp casters can stand in their own splash damage, and if you manage to get a group together and make some pvp teams, their team mates are immune to their splash damage as well?

I'll go on if you want me to, but I think I've already proven my point.

Kmnh
11-12-2011, 01:49 PM
I think a melee would absolutely crush a caster 1v1 in the old turn based D&D games I used to play. Sure casters get their big godly spells but...

1. Casters couldn't move while casting...meanwhile in DDO they can run backwards hopping around and still manage to cast.

2. The beefier spells tended to have long cast times. Meanwhile in DDO everything is pretty much instant cast with the right set up.

3. Casters were extremely limited as to what they could cast. I'm sure everyone remembers the old x number of level 1 spells, x of level 2, etc system. Meanwhile in DDO casters can run around spamming their highest level spells endlessly.

4. Oldschool D&D had friendly fire and you could hit yourself. Sure I can see why they disallow this in pvm, but why is it in pvp casters can stand in their own splash damage, and if you manage to get a group together and make some pvp teams, their team mates are immune to their splash damage as well?

Nope, a caster would look at the silly melee, use a spell that has no save and works from a distance to incapacitate him, and then nuke away. Similar to what happens in DDO.

Angelus_dead
11-12-2011, 10:44 PM
Nope, a caster would look at the silly melee, use a spell
In the old D&D games it took sixty seconds to cast one spell.

Because of the loose rules on actions in combat, a caster was virtually helpless when any enemy was nearby. There was none of that casting defensively, concentration checks, standard actions, or any of that to make it easier.

Angelus_dead
11-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I am waiting for answer.
The reason PVP sucks in DDO is because it would take heavy effort to create good PVP, and the DDO team has not spent that heavy effort.

Why haven't they put in that effort? The most important reason is that they're not even close to finished with PVE game rules yet, so diverting any of their time to PVP would make their existing customers unhappy.

Chai
11-14-2011, 08:26 AM

Roafles. :p Lets go over this.

They didnt need to move. If a melee could even get through their buffs it would be a miracle.

Longer casting times arent an issue when the melee doesnt know where the caster is. Ill explain that in a min lower down in this post.

In 1v1 that limitation wouldnt come into play.

The way the game is coded.

Put a melee and a caster into the same map. Even if its a 10x10x10 map, which is extremely small, the caster now has 1k spaces to move around in, flying, with improved invis, stoneskin, etc. A melee wouldnt even know which square / hex (depending on edition) to attack into, much less be able to damage the caster even if they did know.

The caster has full advantage, and plenty of time, while the melee stands there holding their weapon at the ready waiting. Readied action? Not so fast, Improved invis doesnt drop on casting.

A caster level 7 or higher crushes melee in 1v1, and it only gets more hilarious from there on, in P&P. Caster limitation is their number of spells per day. Those options arent limited nearly as much as they are in DDO however....so its not nearly as easy to metagame against. In DDO casters have like 1/10th of the spells to select from per level.

GregorianPL
11-14-2011, 10:11 AM
All your posts are interesting but it is still trash like someone else before me said.. hey i got Tharne Goggles how i could not see a caster ? True Sight let me see invisiblity.. in my D&D Sessions i have killed invisible mage with 1 shoot ofc that was lucky i rolled 20 when had that 5 % chance to hit him with critical but i was lvl 1 he was lvl 10 GM was really upset i have killed his hero.

Chai
11-14-2011, 05:01 PM
All your posts are interesting but it is still trash like someone else before me said.. hey i got Tharne Goggles how i could not see a caster ? True Sight let me see invisiblity.. in my D&D Sessions i have killed invisible mage with 1 shoot ofc that was lucky i rolled 20 when had that 5 % chance to hit him with critical but i was lvl 1 he was lvl 10 GM was really upset i have killed his hero.

Because in P&P, a good DM creates a situation where metagaming is not possible.

Melee has but a few options open to them, where level 7 + casters have hundreds. A caster can prepare for just about anything a melee can do, where a melee can only prepare for a small amount of things a caster can do.

THe only thing balancing about TEAM pvp, is that both teams can have the same classes / builds.

Perspicacity
11-15-2011, 04:36 AM
Because that's the way uh huh uh huh we like it.

I loled at that, +1.

@ op: PvP is anti-DDO. You want a good PvP system go play Guild Wars or Rohan: Blood Feud. As many have said before and many more will say after me, PvP has no place here. Move along.

SSFWEl
11-15-2011, 04:54 AM
This is EXACTLY why I play this game. I played SWG and PvPed there and ended up hating it. And 90% of PvPers are big, whiny babies. The main reason I LOVE DDO is the focus on PvE. My lvl 14 Sorc son beats my lvl 20 rog every time when he wants to try out a new spell.

So yes yes this:

1. Dungeons and Dragons is NOT a player vs. player game. It is a team game vs. the Dungeon Master (Turbine) which creates quests for our teams to play in.

2. Since all other MMOs are "based on PvP" then why would DDO try to compete with them when it has a monopoly (as of this month) on truly well balanced PvE MMOs? If they focused on PvP then they would just be one more run of the mill MMO that wouldn't have anything special to offer. Their sucess is based on the fact that we DON'T do that.

3. People are NOT escaping DDO because of a lack of PvP, and in fact, if you look under just about any thread in this forum referencing PvP, almost everyone agrees they DON'T want it, and would in fact leave if the developers started to spend time on it instead of the myriad of things we really do want, like finishing the PREs, Druids, Gnomes, Eberron races, and adding end level quests. People are escaping DDO because they've taken too long on this and because other MMOs that are NOT based on PvP are being released.

4. The player base of DDO is mature, friendly players (I'm biased, I play on Thelanis) who enjoy each other's company and play as much for the game as the friends and fun. Turning this into a grief fest, teabagging game where only the best players have any fun, with immature children (or adults acting that way) like every other MMO and FPS would bring an end to Turbine's success.

Yokido
11-21-2011, 06:23 AM
See now, Turbine does seem to have initiative towards making the players have fun whilst pitting against each-other, this was shown by their release of challenges with scores and time limits.

Any direct developments done to improve the quality of the pvp realm would have to involve only 1v1 battles,
where player's have a selection feature to choose which classes they will accept a fight with.
Coupled with that would also possibly be a reward system, it could be day long buffs, or it could be enhancements you get to choose from, or it could be tokens you get which you can craft onto anything for a boost.. Whatever it is, I'm sure Turbine will try their hardest to make it a very intriguing solution.

Vanquishedfo
11-23-2011, 08:57 PM
lets see 1st ed due to the way HP worked all it would take is a few MMs cast long before the barb closed to gun down the sword swinging thug.

2nd ed which I recall alot more clearly atm, fly and whatever spells I felt like atm. id probably just use a few wall spells to box him in and put up a reverse gravity spell inside to kill him from fall dmg.

or if I was a cleric my favorite spell was creeping doom. unstoppable dmg that would eat anything alive. Killed no few dragons with that spell and barbs lol whole villages with a few of that spell. And lets not forget harm insta all but 1d4 hp. and clerics in PnP are easily on par in a fight with any fighter class with little effort.

3E well its even sicker with all the domains and specialties arcane classes and prestige classes and domains. Its just always been a realm ruled by magic in D&D like science and tech do for the real world.

unless your DM is running a specifically low magic setting which many do, where items are really rare and casters struggle to learn even a handful of spells for thier books, and classes like clerics might be outright banned. But in general the more free a player is allowed to be with using classes and feats from splat books the more powerful magic becomes especially with spells and clerics who always can access any on thier list as needed and dont have to wait on finding a scroll to add that spell to your book etc.

snick69
11-25-2011, 06:48 AM
So you all say that you preffer PvE than PvP right? But think for 1 second:

What were your the best times when you played a Single player CRPG's? Which battles you enjoyed most? If you ask me I would answer that I enjoyed most when I won vs human classes or parties maked of clerics, fighters, mages etc. Same thing about bosses. They were mages xx lvl, fighters xx lvl or even multiclass and that were the most enjoyable battles. And yes, pvp sucks in this game but not because the system or classes or because dmg that casters deal. It's because a few things that could be easyli changed, for example:

- rays should be dodgeable and saveable (they deal the biggest dmg in the game so this is the real reason that casters own everything even if theyre xx lvls lower than the opp)

- fortification should work in 50% on pvp or melee classes should get skills to reduce forti for 50% (this is the way to make rogues functionable in pvp world, their sneak attacks and assassination, poisons etc)

- rogue sneaking should work for pvp (this is the way to use more tactics not only for rogue, but also for all classes to avoid the sneaking rogue who want to assassinate you. I mean casters using AoE spells or swinging for melee classes)

Believe me, if they would fix these 3 things PvP in DDO would be great and a lot of fun.

It is not bad right now because vs casters you got spell abs items (cloak etc) which allow you to get close to the caster and try to kill him. But also i dont like that the rogues are completely disabled from PvP'ing because 90% of their skills arent work on PvP. Think about this guys.

Sorry for my english and regards :P

noinfo
11-25-2011, 08:58 AM
In the old D&D games it took sixty seconds to cast one spell.

Because of the loose rules on actions in combat, a caster was virtually helpless when any enemy was nearby. There was none of that casting defensively, concentration checks, standard actions, or any of that to make it easier.

And melees got 1 or 2 attacks in those 60 seconds. Depending on the version of the game some casting times were much faster than weapon speed modifier. Sleep and slit the throat at low level comes to mind.

Uska
11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Yes, i see you were playing different d&d than i do. There where i am playing mage is totally exhausted after throwing 1sic! high level spell, and by the way if you ever could be interested the council of wizards let them teach to fight with light weapons after one of them met that strong fighter so he could survive all of his spells..

Now lets see we have a heavy fortification that let us avoid damage from Criticals from melees why we cant avoid a critical from spellcaster ? fortification should work on it... we have a dr to any of physical damage but we dont have dr to spells expect some crapy magic resistance when casters have much much above 40 spell penetration, protection 120 dmg or 30 resistance to elements..

if you play were mages are exhausted after throwing a high level spell you werent playing by the pnp rules then were you:rolleyes:

NecroKovy
11-25-2011, 10:13 AM
Why can't we have a pvp zone on an airship? I don't care much for the 'Me vs You to determine who gets ego whipped!!'.

I much prefer going to the Phoenix Tavern with someone new, and allowing them some swings at me for training them in basic mechanics. Even if I'm not teaching them anything, I can fight back with just enough force to keep things urgent for them when necessary, and kill them outright if they just plain take too long to do something. This is why I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a way to get pvp on a guild ship, nice private combat training without having to worry about a MS crushing everything in, interrupting everything.

Also, it's great for basic spell research if you bring a buddy who is willing to just let you wail on them. I don't feel the need to fight the other players, the monsters bust my stones just fine thank you.