PDA

View Full Version : popup when low on spell components

Garth_of_Sarlona
11-06-2011, 06:46 AM
similar to this dialog:

http://i.imgur.com/UqC4D.jpg (http://imgur.com/UqC4D)

Have one that appears when you are low (e.g. fewer than 50) on spell components for a particular spell you have memorised.

Garth

~jradnut
11-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Hey! That's a pretty good idea, imo. Gj!

Uska
11-06-2011, 08:29 AM
No there is little enough immersion I dont want more dumbing down of the game dont need more simplification thank you very much.

Aaxeyu
11-06-2011, 08:31 AM
/signed

But an even better idea would be to remove spell compontents.

Rheebus
11-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I'd like to see it with 10 or less thieve's tools as well. How about stacks of 1000, like every other component?

It's not less immersive. It should be a popup when you cast a spell.

Fireballs casts Wall of Fire.
Popup, "You only have 34 level 4 spell components left!"

It represents the character noticing that they are nearly out of spell components when they reach into their bags to get the next one. Otherwise we are oblivious.

Here is why this won't be added: Turbine makes $$ when we are lazy and forget to check these. Mid quest, the only way to get them is to buy them from the DDO Store. I don't fault them for this, they have to make $$ to keep the game running, but it won't be high on the priority list. The incentives are backwards.

Uska
11-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I'd like to see it with 10 or less thieve's tools as well. How about stacks of 1000, like every other component?

It's not less immersive. It should be a popup when you cast a spell.

Fireballs casts Wall of Fire.
Popup, "You only have 34 level 4 spell components left!"

It represents the character noticing that they are nearly out of spell components when they reach into their bags to get the next one. Otherwise we are oblivious.

Here is why this won't be added: Turbine makes $$ when we are lazy and forget to check these. Mid quest, the only way to get them is to buy them from the DDO Store. I don't fault them for this, they have to make $$ to keep the game running, but it won't be high on the priority list. The incentives are backwards.

it is less immersive you should keep track of stuff yourself if its automatic there is no immerrsion and yes we used compents in pnp starting in 78 when the first phb came out.

Uska
11-06-2011, 08:59 AM
/signed

cant agree with this

Aaxeyu
11-06-2011, 09:10 AM
cant agree with this

How does stocking up with 2-3000 hen hearts do anything positive for immersion?

~jradnut
11-06-2011, 09:14 AM
How does stocking up with 2-3000 hen hearts do anything positive for immersion?

LMAO! Would need a mule train or a chicken ranch...

umeannothing
11-06-2011, 09:30 AM
/signed! Would be very nice.

As far as immersion? when I buy 10k bat guano and sulfur, I do so so that I can NOT run out for awhile. It is a deliberate measure to be able to quest longer, without a constant need to have to remember to get the components every time I decide to join groups.

What would be nice as well as the OP suggestion, is the ability to add more than 10 components at a time to a stack, and increase the max number of pots, components, and ALL basic necessities for all classes. Can only buy 1 stack, adding 1 at a time of pots, when you need to grab 7 or 8 stacks of various pots. Same goes for all other mats/components/scrolls/etc.

Syllph
11-06-2011, 09:31 AM
In the meantime, a simple solution is to make a hot bar and fill it with reagents, then put it vertical and out of the way.

This will be a clear and visual reminder of all of your spell components.

Works for most things: 10 units on the hot bar, 9 levels + stoneskin. Some components, like the one for raise undead, in my opinion are not used enough to warrant a space on the bar.

hope this helps.

R0cksteady
11-06-2011, 11:14 AM
No real point to having them in this game. They don't serve the same purpose as they do in PnP.

All they do is cause you to walk to house J every couple of weeks to buy stacks of items that you put on the last page of your inventory and forget about for awhile.

But since they wont take them out of the game, a warning would be ok.

umeannothing
11-06-2011, 12:41 PM
No real point to having them in this game. They don't serve the same purpose as they do in PnP.

All they do is cause you to walk to house J every couple of weeks to buy stacks of items that you put on the last page of your inventory and forget about for awhile.

But since they wont take them out of the game, a warning would be ok.

This.

Rian
11-06-2011, 12:47 PM
A trick I like to do is hotbar all my spell componets so I can see them for myself.

You can see them right there!

Elixxer
11-06-2011, 12:50 PM
IMO the whole PnP spell system is pretty bad. I've never really liked.

Having another quickslot bar on my small screen is annoying. If the components got removed casters would be even better :P

/signed for the OP

oberon131313
11-06-2011, 01:50 PM
How is it immersive or fun to go to cast a spell like haste on your party and realize you are out of components?

My issue with the "warning" is a technical one, as the game has to keep track of each stack in relation to the others. If I have 3 stacks and one is getting low, the game has to do constant checks of my inventory to make sure that the others still exist.

There is precedence in Pen and Paper for not tracking spell components with a "negligible cost."

Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.

To me, the basic components in this game fall under that category, while the ones that have a higher cost (stoneskin, death pact, create undead, etc.) are the ones we should have to track.

Bodic
11-06-2011, 04:32 PM
similar to this dialog:

http://i.imgur.com/UqC4D.jpg (http://imgur.com/UqC4D)

Have one that appears when you are low (e.g. fewer than 50) on spell components for a particular spell you have memorised.

Garth

Big No. I hate them being in DDO store. If you lack comps you lack comps. More pop-ups are bad.

That aside its a pitance of a plat sink even if you stone skin everyone every 5 minutes. They should be coverted into special comps only with a generic single bag in which you must refill ever so often your lvl determines costs pnp and ddo satisfied. or self assume each class always has basic comps.

Grenada
11-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Doesn't everyone have eschew materials?

You must all be noobs.
/signed

biggin
11-07-2011, 10:41 PM
As others have said, hotbarring them is easy enough. And as others have said, no more popups.

Scriplin
11-09-2011, 07:22 AM
I think there is a better approach than a popup message.

I do hotbar my components, I still forget.

For one thing, we need spell component bags, hate wasting 10+ inventory slots on just spell components.

I think it's hard to say what the number would be that is considered "low" and also, I don't wanna see a popup message every time I cast a spell once I get low, as that could get annoying.

My vote is to add the the stack size of the given component to the spell icons so that when you hotbar the spell, if it uses a material component, it tells you right on the spell how many more times you can cast it.

Then, I no longer need to hotbar my spell components, and I won't have to deal with pop ups, and for those that don't want it or don't want the game "simplified" by addressing things are just annoying (like going into a quest with 3 spell components), give them another option on the right click menu for spells for "Display remaining components" to enable or disable it.

mobrien316
11-09-2011, 07:50 AM
I think keeping track of your spell components is one of the necessities of playing a caster. I put mine in a hotbar so I can see them and keep track of how many I have left.

Rangers and arcane archers have to keep track of their arrows. Rogues have to keep track of their tools. It's part of the game.

I would like to see a spell component bag, though!

somenewnoob
11-09-2011, 07:52 AM
We already have something like that.

If you click 'I' it will open up your inventory. Then you simply choose which pack has your components and viola!
:rolleyes:

Scriplin
11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
I think keeping track of your spell components is one of the necessities of playing a caster. I put mine in a hotbar so I can see them and keep track of how many I have left.

Rangers and arcane archers have to keep track of their arrows. Rogues have to keep track of their tools. It's part of the game.

I would like to see a spell component bag, though!

I also would like the disable device skill (and open lock) to have a quantity shown on it's icon with how many thieves tools I have left, and a right click menu like spells have to enable or disable the display of the quantity, but also, it'd be nice to be able to right click and see a list of which thieves tools you have in your pack, and be able to select "Always use this stack" or something like that.

Not an issue for experienced players, very much so an issue for newer players. Even if they have good thieves tools, if they loot some that aren't so great, they could be using the lower tools and not even realize it.

As far as arrows and bolts are concerned, I think there needs to be some work done such that stacks of arrows inside a quiver can be hotbar'd, and you should be able to hotbar the ammo slot itself and NOT just the stack of whatever is there currently. Therefore, you could hotbar your ammo slot, and see how many arrows / bolts of the currently equipped stack there are, and a hotbar with all of your ammo types on it, but that ammo is actually inside your quiver.

Scriplin
11-09-2011, 08:01 AM
We already have something like that.

If you click 'I' it will open up your inventory. Then you simply choose which pack has your components and viola!
:rolleyes:

The spell component bag is needed for inventory space saving, not to see what components you have.

katz
11-09-2011, 08:02 AM
i say give us a spell component bag, or get rid of components entirely. having YET ANOTHER item i have to clutter my extremely limited inventory with is a pain. i ran with Eschew last life, and if i could fit it, i would probably run with it this life too... but i can't fit it. :mad:

it's all fun and games till you decide to try to play a bard with rogue splash... OMG scrollswandspotsmatstools *headasplode!* :eek:

Bogenbroom
11-09-2011, 08:12 AM
Here is an option. Just a stray thought that may or may not suck...

Why not remove spell components of individual levels and make one generic "Spell Component." Spells of different levels could use multiple components. Maybe "special" spells could use a lot. (20 to cast "create undead," 15 for "stoneskin.") That way you continue to have the resource drain and you have the advantage of limiting the inventory space to 1 spot.

The downside would be if you ran out of components you would be fairly well screwed, as opposed to current state where you simply have to adjust your strategy.

Just a thought.

Meetch1972
11-09-2011, 08:19 AM
What about, whenever you start talking to your favourite components vendor, they notice you're low on certain ingredients and make a suggestion?

<vendor> says: My my, looks like you're low on few eagle feathers and nymph tears. Remember to add them to your purchase list, eh?

Not a pop-up, but more of an inline reminder than such a thing.

Scriplin
11-09-2011, 08:26 AM
What about, whenever you start talking to your favourite components vendor, they notice you're low on certain ingredients and make a suggestion?

<vendor> says: My my, looks like you're low on few eagle feathers and nymph tears. Remember to add them to your purchase list, eh?

Not a pop-up, but more of an inline reminder than such a thing.

The only problem with this is, if you're at the vendor that sells them, you're probably already aware that you need them :P

Templarion
11-09-2011, 08:28 AM

This /signed.

At the moment, spell components add nothing to the game. Useless mechanics/rules should be either removed or fixed to such that affect distinctly on the gaming experience.

http://bplteensofwa.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/just_say_no.jpg
...to useless game mechanics!

Hellllboy
11-09-2011, 08:40 AM
I think this is a great idea +1

I always find out im low when I run out.

The tool bar idea is also a good idea for a work around-thanks for the tip. :)

mobrien316
11-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Maybe we could have a visual pop up when I'm low on cure moderate potions. And another one when I'm low on cure serious potions, and another for when I'm low on haste pots. And then I would need one for my lesser restoration potions, my remove curse potions, etc... Ad infinitum...

It really doesn't seem that taxing to keep track of your own gear. I keep a stack of 1000 of each spell component, visible in a hotbar, and after running enough quests for any of them to get down to 750 or lower I teleport to the Portable Hole and top them all off. Easy peasy.

umeannothing
11-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Maybe we could have a visual pop up when I'm low on cure moderate potions. And another one when I'm low on cure serious potions, and another for when I'm low on haste pots. And then I would need one for my lesser restoration potions, my remove curse potions, etc... Ad infinitum....

Oh that's right, I forgot we open our bags mid fight to use a potion or cast a spell. Silly me for wasting a hotbar slot on them.

Seriously, when you are playing on an older monitor, and can really only fit 6 or so bars on your screen, adding a hotbar for components is not an option, not if you want to see what you are actually doing. and I speak from prior experience on that.

And wasting bags slots to carry around 1 stacks x6 to 15 stacks is ridiculous as well.

Those classes that do not require spell components wouldn't likely see the pop-up.

If nothing else, how about an icon where the world event text opens at, just a box we can mouse over and see it say we need components? Might be less intrusive for people that don't like the pop-up.

Alternately, let us stack stacks of spell components to 10k per stack, then we can fit a weeks supply in our bags.

mobrien316
11-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Oh that's right, I forgot we open our bags mid fight to use a potion or cast a spell. Silly me for wasting a hotbar slot on them.

Seriously, when you are playing on an older monitor, and can really only fit 6 or so bars on your screen, adding a hotbar for components is not an option, not if you want to see what you are actually doing. and I speak from prior experience on that.

And wasting bags slots to carry around 1 stacks x6 to 15 stacks is ridiculous as well.

Those classes that do not require spell components wouldn't likely see the pop-up.

If nothing else, how about an icon where the world event text opens at, just a box we can mouse over and see it say we need components? Might be less intrusive for people that don't like the pop-up.

Alternately, let us stack stacks of spell components to 10k per stack, then we can fit a weeks supply in our bags.

If you have room for one hotbar on your screen, you can hotbar your spell components. Put it on bar #2 if you like, and every so often click on the arrow to look at that hotbar.