PDA

View Full Version : Vault of Night

ZeroTakenaka
11-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I want to bring my artificer into VoN5 elite but I'll die because i have no evasion... are there safe spots to be in while disabling traps?

Diyon
11-04-2011, 12:08 PM
I want to bring my artificer into VoN5 elite but I'll die because i have no evasion... are there safe spots to be in while disabling traps?

Yes there are safe spots, but they aren't big. I'd recommend going in on your own and practicing if the damage is going to be a problem.

Kmnh
11-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes there are safe spots, but they aren't big. I'd recommend going in on your own and practicing if the damage is going to be a problem.

There are safe spots right at the pillars in the middle. if you can survive one hit from the blade traps, you can get there.

Yhose traps are easier to do with 2 people disabling, as the boxes on one side disable the balde traps on nthe other. Running back and forth between sides works, but will take a little while :)

Sarisa
11-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Start on the right side. Jump through the electric trap, avoid the blades, and get into the little corner by the pillar just inside the first electric trap. You'll be safe and able to get the box. Then you just alternate sides. Each one after that can be reached without having to stand in a blade, but you have to survive going through the electric. A few of the ones after will still require jumping into a corner to avoid blades in order to disable the trap.

Making a mistake is usually fatal at level on elite. I recently did this on my TR Pali (was 9 Pali/2 Rogue then), and with a buffed up reflex save of 36-38 (depending on boosts), I was still regularly failing saves on both the electric and blades.

herzkos
11-04-2011, 12:21 PM
yessir, there are safe spots but not many.
what i did to learn how to do it:
I went to the free agent vendor and bought 300 +1 tools(the DC on normal is pathetic) and
went in there on normal til i could get past the lightning and blade traps without having to make a
save. I assumed any roll would be a failed save on elite for training purposes. It could take
several hours of practice to get it down. (it took me about 3.5 hours). Yes, I occasionally still get
hit on elite but if your party has any intelligence they're going to figure someone is going to die
at some point in that quest anyway. The hit isn't always fatal but assume the worst and you'll be all right.

note, suggest getting buffed up the same as you would during the quest because a higher jump score/
haste/ anything else will cause your character to behave differently and could throw off your timing.

LordPiglet
11-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Electric can be timed though. You go through when the bottom two are electrified (or maybe it's the top 2). I rarely worry about it unless I'm doing an at level elite so I kind of forget.

Calebro
11-04-2011, 12:40 PM
There are nly two times that you have to find those safe spots. On the very first one, and about halfway through. And they're fairly easy to reach once you know where they are and how to get to them.

The three problems you're going to have on your Arty, in an elite run, if you're doing it at level are these:
1. The blade trap in the beginning of the east hall (or is it the west?). The box is on the other side of the blades, and the save DCs in there on elite are simply brutal. Without evasion, you should fully expect to die and accept a raise in front of the box.
2. Those two safe spots I mentioned. They are the only two real threats from the blades in the lightning hall that you'll have, but they are big threats. You're looking at really tough save DCs here, just like the previous trap. If you make a mistake getting into position, you're toast.
3. And the biggest threat in that lightning hallway? The lightning itself. Without evasion, you need to learn how to get through those lightning blasts safely. Resist isn't going to be enough without evasion. You can time your way through them without even having to make a save, but to do that your timing needs to be almost flawless.

I suggest you head in there solo in your free time and practice.
As someone said, when Artys are doing the traps, it's better to have two of them for the lightning hall, one on each side. As I said, the biggest threat in the hallway is the lightning itself, and having to run through it repeatedly, over and over and over again while you swap sides back and forth, is what's going to kill you. One on the left, one on the right. You only have to pass through the lightning once (a handful of saves), minimizing the risk, rather than multiple trips (dozens of saves).

Ravoc-DDO
11-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Get a rogue

ZeroTakenaka
11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
May a mod move this to General DDO Discussion please?

WruntJunior
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
As long as you're very careful to get hit only once or twice and stand in the right spot, you should be good, especially with being able to heal yourself back to full, assuming you can survive a little over two hits. This is the tactic I use in epic von 5, since my reflex save isn't high enough for this trap on my epic-ready trap-monkey-capable toon (exploiter). Just be careful.

What I'm curious about is why is this in the Lamannia section?

I saw discussion and thought DDO General discussion x.x
Fair enough

ZeroTakenaka
11-04-2011, 04:12 PM
As long as you're very careful to get hit only once or twice and stand in the right spot, you should be good, especially with being able to heal yourself back to full, assuming you can survive a little over two hits. This is the tactic I use in epic von 5, since my reflex save isn't high enough for this trap on my epic-ready trap-monkey-capable toon (exploiter). Just be careful.

What I'm curious about is why is this in the Lamannia section?

I saw discussion and thought DDO General discussion x.x