PDA

View Full Version : Mabar Observations

Dagolar
11-01-2011, 09:29 AM
These are the following observations of things that players generally agree they'd like to see changed to Mabar (outside of the obvious improvement of lag issues):

*The ability to trade scales, keys, and fangs for a small portion of their mote purchase value- OR the ability to trade scales and keys freely. Given the nature of the event, and the guarantee of a scale on victory, the initial consideration seems best. Given that motes are the hardest thing to get in the long run, this likewise seems a solid way of smoothing things out.

*More variance to 'wilderness' events. Cove benefited from a wider area, randomized bonus chests, and bosses that at least SEEMED unique in form. I've heard suggestions ranging from the more ridiculous inclusion of random spectral dragon attacks to unique bosses and loot inclusion- which definitely would spice things up. Given the nature of it, adding a bit of graverobbing..er, loot sarcophaguses, would certainly add spice. Likewise, more variance to bosses would be great, and being given something to focus on other than the irregular and unreliable component drops would reduce the complete grinding sensation.

*More items. Cove benefited not only from the primary craftable items, but from a greater variety of secondary and component items. Adding in more loot would be great; My personal wish on this would be some non-upgradable named drops from (newly added) level-range-specific named mobs, and an additional 2-3 primary craft items.

*Dragon scale armor/docent. The spectral dragon is the only dragon without an associated dragon scale armor set. Sure, the frequency of the scales makes it a bit tricky, but the associated armor could be quite unique, both in appearance and benefits (though, sadly, an 'anti-lag' benefit, while appropriate for Lag Dragon armor, isn't feasible).
Here's a possible (epic level) template:
+6 Enhancement Bonus
+6 Armor Bonus
Dodge +1 bonus
Negative Energy Absorption - Guard effect. Armor has a chance to counter incoming negative energy damage and convert a portion of it into temporary hit points. (For undead players, countered negative energy damage is taken as healing).
Negative Energy Vortex - Guard effect. Small chance to release a negative energy burst attack.
Negative Energy Guard - Guard effect. All attacking enemy creatures take negative energy damage.
Aura of Night - All friendly undead creatures benefit from a stacking Augment Summon bonus.
Mabar Weave - This armor is attuned to the essence of night. This armor has no noticeable weight or spell-casting penalty, grants the wearer Dusk, and grants an exceptional +5 bonus to hide and move silently.
Light Attraction - This armor naturally attracts light, diminishing the damage nearby allies take from light damage, and increasing the damage the wearer takes.

Something of this or similar construction works in line with the defense/caster/death orientation of the event while remaining unique (though any additional added items would be welcomed to better benefit other class types).

*(This is one thing I haven't heard others discuss, but personally thought relevant:) More variance to the Dragon challenge. It's an obvious thing that the kobold challenge in cove is far, far more complex than the Dragon challenge. While this isn't workable with the lag as it is, it would be nicer to add more variation or complexity to the dragon challenge, without making it cumbersome or frustrating. Perhaps some mirror/light alignment, light/darkness situational-shift effects..

Regardless of response to this list, it'd be nice to get some feedback of what is being considered for future changes.

adam1oftheround
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I like all of your suggestions. I do prefer the Dragon Spectral Armor suggested here:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=348484&highlight=spectral+armor

I think the Overlapping of Mabar Epic benefits is interesting.

I would want a random proc of displace or Etherial Body. Maybe a Shadow Walk Clickie if D-Door is deemed too powerful.

Zenako
11-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Well if you look at the Cove items and the Mabar items there is not really any slot overlap, and there are a couple of slots untapped so far. It would be possible to make some Mabar Bracers or boots for example that might be worthwhile to build. The MUCH shorter list of "good" things to make, renders the Mabar experience a lot shorter lived than the Cove experience for many players.

Cove = Hat, Trinket, Gloves, Ring, Armor (leather and plate), Shield, and weapons.
Mabar = Cloak, Robe/Docent, and Handwraps

Both have some consumable items, but frankly the Cove ones outshine the Mabar ones in almost every metric.

So slots in play: Goggles, Bracers, Boots (ring?), Quiver? (would be a real niche item), Necklace, and other weapons perhaps.

Luis_Velderve
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I like all of your suggestions. I do prefer the Dragon Spectral Armor suggested here:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=348484&highlight=spectral+armor

I think the Overlapping of Mabar Epic benefits is interesting.

I would want a random proc of displace or Etherial Body. Maybe a Shadow Walk Clickie if D-Door is deemed too powerful.
IMHO 20 Spectral Scales for a Spectral Dragon Armor +6, ethereal (no penalty for spellcasters), +10DR/Dragon,+2 Exceptional Seeker,+31 spectral hitpoints and a Large Augment Slot for a permanent Large Guild Cristal (no guild level requirements nor item requirements)