PDA

View Full Version : Feedback - Challenge - Lavacaves: Circles of Power

KookieKobold
10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
The Kobold Mining Union has found a large amount of crystals deep inside a volcanic cavern!

Filled with dangerous enemies, the Union needs your help.

Additionally, Mysterious circles of unknown energies can be found throughout the caves... Maybe it is possible to harness their power!

Feel free to leave feedback here and to discuss the Challenge Lava Caves: Circles of Power

oradafu
10-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Ugh! Another Cove clone. So 11 of the 21 that are just the Cove. That's 52% of a pack that is suppose to be full of new "challenges" with each quest. I'm one of the people that sort of liked the Cove, but this is overkill. And I can't wait for people who hate the Cove to comment...

I didn't even bother playing this quest, but instead went exploring until the DA killed me. Before I even really started going in a direction, a similar problem found in Extraplanar appeared: kobolds die too quickly. It seems to me that these kobolds would be jealous of Coyle's HP. This was when I knew I did the right thing by just exploring the fire cave.

I don't know what to really add though. When I fought the drow, they went down pretty quick. The scorpions were tougher, and the actually mob that killed me on DA4.

I guess I should leave on a positive note: I like the "Kobold Soulstone (oops!)" on the map.

mystafyi
10-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Ugh! Another Cove clone. So 11 of the 21 that are just the Cove.

well i guess it could be worse. WoW ran out of idea's also. they went the route of kunfu panda's and pokemon battles ;/

LeLoric
10-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Ran this solo on my wizzy at lev 15. Crystal cove version 2.2. I guess this would be okay if we didnt also have the extraplanar palace as a cove variant. actually liked this one less than the palace one as it's actually in very similar caves.

350 crystals seems fairly easy.

The other stars in a full group should be fairly acheivable. Doubt we see any solo 5 star runs however.

Kobold hp is pretty light. Not sure if this is a scaling issue. I hope it is as if they don't scale up with larger groups and the mob dmg does it could be ugly trying to keep them alive.

Claver
10-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Ran this with my level 9 warforged air savant along with Tower (level 8 warforged FTR hireling). I did a level 8 and level 6 instance - failed both times. I also tried Time is Money with a Level 16/2/2 Monk/Ftr/Rng but failed that as well.

Here are my thoughts and observations:

- More interesting than Extraplanar Mining because at least there is some kind of a twist on crystal cove.

- The various kobold upgrades and challenge features (extra time requisitions) that can be purchased at the store look like a fun feature. I would encourage Turbine to have these items periodically drop from end bosses or be awarded in the lottery. I also like the daily challenge token feature.

- It took me a few runs before I realized that once activated, a kobold teleporter no longer needed to remain in a power circle. I'm still fuzzy on what happens if you have 3 teleporters and you are activating multiple circles are you in effect shutting down some of the circles as you go.

- Finally, the game play of moving transport locations looks interesting but as whole the challenge appears to be too similar to Extraplanar mining. Presented with the choice between Lavacaves and Extraplanar Mning I will only choose Lavacaves, not both. Circle of Power and Buying Time seem to be too similar. I will play one or the other on any given character but not both.

These ideas are being spread too thin, particularly given their similarity to Crystal Cove. Turbine should have combined the ideas from Circles of Power AND Buying Time into a single challenge to help differentiate it from Extraplanar Mining. Colossal Crystals should have been reserved for Epic versions only so that Epic will have another gameplay twist from non-Epic. And the various incarnations of Extrplanar Mining should have be consolidated and released in a future update given its stark similarity to Lavacaves

mystafyi
10-31-2011, 02:24 AM
These ideas are being spread too thin, particularly given their similarity to Crystal Cove.

Quantity over Quality is their motto now ;/