PDA

View Full Version : I am jealous of an iron dog...

Sarezar
10-26-2011, 01:49 PM
I am a Pale Master, I raise skeletons, cast death spells to everyone in my path, I even take double Light damage and yet... something is missing from my (un)life... something is not right... something... something that a dog has and I don't!

Before any nasty jokes start flying around, I'll say that I am talking about the Eviiiiil alignment. Everytime I ask, Eladrin says "No! Bad boy! Sit!". But now those iron constructs can actually be Bad Boys, where I cannot! It's not fair! Do they have more wisdom about their life choices to allow them to be evil? Has Darth Vader been around their house for tea and biscuits more often? Why? Why?!

Why can a dog be evil and I cannot... *violins*

Veriden
10-26-2011, 01:58 PM
This should help you cheer up :) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujzp9ffPwPM)

You see, being evil is over powered, he says so. Think of all those times if we were evil we'd leave coyle to die and point some fingers, or the times that we blow up our hirelings in blown to bits or undermine (not that I don't do it for fun now.)

We have to be neutral and good in the public eye but there are plenty of opportunities to do evil...its just not intended by the devs. ^_^
Killing eladrin, paladins, wielding unholy weapons, necromancy(I don't care how people put messing with unlife is evil), summoning demons and devils(summon monsters).

Alexandryte
10-26-2011, 02:04 PM
I could not read this without having the "imperial march" slowly ramp up in my mind.

As for evil alignment....

Virtually all the quests in the game plays out as if we are the "hero", only one to my knowledge actively pits us against good (albeit tricked) aligned enemies, and overall thematically evil doesn't make much sense in the quest and group dynamic that DDO has.

So why do people want the tag of being "evil"?

If there were parts in the game that could back it up, like vastly varying quest objectives (like a live DM could provide) I could understand. But there isn't.

./shrug

Zeruell
10-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Virtually all the quests in the game plays out as if we are the "hero", only one to my knowledge actively pits us against good (albeit tricked) aligned enemies, and overall thematically evil doesn't make much sense in the quest and group dynamic that DDO has.

So why do people want the tag of being "evil"?

If there were parts in the game that could back it up, like vastly varying quest objectives (like a live DM could provide) I could understand. But there isn't.

There are two and a half that I can recall off the top of my head (the half is for a quest that has two end-of-quest NPCs that are of good alignment).

But that aside, a fair number of quests revolve around no-questions-asked mercenary work or apocalyptic threats to Xen'drik and/or Eberron. It's not difficult to justify evil characters wanting a piece of the action / loot / glory, to the point of cooperating with Good-aligned PCs.
Even the Emerald Claw and Silver Flame tolerate each other when dealing with the Abbot.

LrdSlvrhnd
10-26-2011, 03:01 PM
But that aside, a fair number of quests revolve around no-questions-asked mercenary work or apocalyptic threats to Xen'drik and/or Eberron. It's not difficult to justify evil characters wanting a piece of the action / loot / glory, to the point of cooperating with Good-aligned PCs.

"Hey, I may be evil, but no monsters are gonna invade MY home, goldurnit! At least, unless I'm the one in charge..."

Scraap
10-26-2011, 03:09 PM
I am a Pale Master, I raise skeletons, cast death spells to everyone in my path, I even take double Light damage and yet... something is missing from my (un)life... something is not right... something... something that a dog has and I don't!

Before any nasty jokes start flying around, I'll say that I am talking about the Eviiiiil alignment. Everytime I ask, Eladrin says "No! Bad boy! Sit!". But now those iron constructs can actually be Bad Boys, where I cannot! It's not fair! Do they have more wisdom about their life choices to allow them to be evil? Has Darth Vader been around their house for tea and biscuits more often? Why? Why?!

Actually, dropping into form at the very least makes you neutral aligned for item purposes, judging by my PMs last life (He was good, equipping a Death's Touch when in form showed no negs.)

Primalhowl
10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Pfft. Evil alignment has negligible use outside of RP purposes... just like alignment in general (except for a few items).

If the Devs are going to work on the PM PRE at all, what I'd like to see is the whole summoned skeleton enhancement line turned into a pet line like the artificer, but where the pet is a base skeleton instead of an iron defender.

The enhancement line could have options to advance to the melee, ranged, or caster style of skeleton... it could allow you to select normal, frostbone or blackbone types... and so on and so forth.

The tech is clearly there to allow PMs to have pet skeles. I say make it happen.

irivan
10-26-2011, 05:15 PM
No, i want a Zombie Pet, or better yet a wraith, even better would be a Vampire, i think PM should be able to summon one of their choice based on Choosing action points independant of each other and by level. Also since they are your pets they should be able to carry some of your gear too, as well as be some what equiped...

Please make this happen Devs!

Also since we have Homonculus in the game, why dont wizards have one, i mean seriously, Homonculous was always a wizard thing, why did Artificers get them before wizards?

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Homunculus

Keybreaker
10-26-2011, 11:22 PM
I am a Pale Master, I raise skeletons, cast death spells to everyone in my path, I even take double Light damage and yet... something is missing from my (un)life... something is not right... something...

I really wanted you to say something about breathing... Why do PMs in undead form need to breath?

Yea it's kinda funny to survive the spikes in the crucible swim with help from aura, only to drown in undead form...

Shade
10-26-2011, 11:33 PM
Palemaster is by any sane persons account the most powerful PRE in the game.
Wizards (or sorc) being an absoultely critical class in nearly every difficult adventure.

You get nothing more.

Missing Melee PrEs (Ravager, Occult Slayer, Purple Dragon Knight, Warpriest) and Deepwood sniper are what needs love next. Maybe some improvements to paladins as well.

irivan
10-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Wizards (or sorc) being an absoultely critical class in nearly every difficult adventure.

You get nothing more.

Missing Melee PrEs (Ravager, Occult Slayer, Purple Dragon Knight, Warpriest) and Deepwood sniper are what needs love next. Maybe some improvements to paladins as well.

Well its a good thing that you are not one of the games developers.

I personally see the Wizard and Sorc as kind of a Franchise player for DnD, and as a result they get the biggest contracts with all sorts of benefits, you are correct they are critical, not just to the success of missions in this game, but to the success of the game itself since most every one who played table top remembers their Wizard, and the scope of power they posses in that game, even as hard as they have tried to nerf the class in 4E, it is outrageously more powerful, as it should be, they are freaking WIZARDS.

Now back to my point, why do Artificers get Homonculus and Wizards do not? We are talking about even the inception of the idea itself starting with the Wizard, and not just a few moments before, we are talking about Dacades, for Decades they have had the ability to build Homonculus, yet when its launched its only given to the Artificer? Turbine, i am sure you have something in the works for this right? Wink Wink

FranOhmsford
10-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Forget Homunculi for the moment please.

Wizards and Sorcerors NEED Familiars.

Rangers NEED Companions.

Paladins NEED their Horse.... All I'm asking for here is for The Rusty Nail to be given a stable where the Pally can go to tend to his forgotten steed.

Rasczak
10-27-2011, 03:21 AM

You not that evil, you more like wannabe evil. I know you, you like bunnies and rainbows. I bet you have a carebear poster and my little pony t-shirt.

If it makes you feel any better and stop sniffling, just behave like a random pug who intentionally or not makes my time in dungeons harder to complete :D

zwiebelring
10-27-2011, 03:29 AM
Why no evil alignment? Simple as that evil alignment breaks the original spirit of DnD. You fight evil guys you rise and shine they die and fall. Okay so much for the flavor...

Truth is, Blasphemy affects only *non evil* and thus, a ToD was no challenge any more since the Blasphemy attack is simply laughed upon. Yes, of course people were happy then since they did not have to grind for those friggin' boots but well, no fun for customers is the motto ;).

Sarezar
10-27-2011, 09:25 AM

You get nothing more.

Huh? What are you talking about. I'm asking (for the Nth time since 2006) to allow players to have Evil alignments. It's just a flavour thing, especially since dogs can be evil now. How does that have anything to do with the PrEs?

Barashkukor
10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Huh? What are you talking about. I'm asking (for the Nth time since 2006) to allow players to have Evil alignments. It's just a flavour thing, especially since dogs can be evil now. How does that have anything to do with the PrEs?

Seems to me he was probably talking about pale masters needing to breathe while undeads. Because, deadites need oxygen too, yo.

xandariant
10-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Forget Homunculi for the moment please.

Wizards and Sorcerors NEED Familiars.

Rangers NEED Companions.

Paladins NEED their Horse.... All I'm asking for here is for The Rusty Nail to be given a stable where the Pally can go to tend to his forgotten steed.

TRUE!
/signed to finally Turbine add them to the game.
Especially for rangers that are very weak right now in ranged and good only as tempests.

Partydeluxe
10-31-2011, 08:52 AM
I have experienced every 2-8 year old I encounter in this game to automatically be of Chaotic Evil allignment no matter what is stated on their character sheet.

PestWulf
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Speaking of Evil dogs, I kind of wish that whenever I grouped with an Artificer that it would just go ahead and grey out my Web spell. It would save me a lot of mana, I keep thinking that *maybe* THIS TIME! I can get it in there and the dog won't eat it like cotton candy. but nope. nom,, nom, nom goes the evil dog.