PDA

View Full Version : Weight... I may be Packrat, but I'm no Mule!

quijenoth
10-24-2011, 04:08 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can we have fewer collectables/ingredients per item?

Greensteel items, Dragonscales, Gianthold Relics, and the zone wide collectables require only a few items of each and you get 1 per drop.

Festival coins had a slightly increased drop but you mass turned them in for single items.

Since Mabar and CCove and now Crafting the amount of items you need to aquire items runs into the 100s and 1,000s.

Quite frankly my 10 str wizard just cannot carry that sort of weight around all the time! I have 2 large ingredient bags, one is currently 58lbs in weight the other is 122lbs! (I'm still at medium encumbrance even with a +7 str item and under rage!) I destroyed thousands of coins during CCove because I couldnt handle the weight (and being torch runner weight is a concern)

What I don't understand is why you chose such high numbers when dividing by 10 gives exactly the same results without problems such as stack limits (mabar spectral scales), multiple bag requirements, weight, etc.

These new cannith challenges are doing exactly the same!
Why must I give in 400 (4lbs) obsidian arrowheads when dividing the drop rate and costs by 10 or even 100 would result in the same rewards?

I noticed you get 1 item for every 10 dragonshards you aquire from the kobold khaos quest. With 500 required to succeed thats 50 per run minimum (if you dont blow them just before completion on optionals). divide it by 10 and I'll get 5 instead but i still get something!

Terebinthia
10-24-2011, 04:29 AM
/signed

Cove coins and motes are annoying, too, while you're at it.

Ryiah
10-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Quite frankly my 10 str wizard just cannot carry that sort of weight around all the time!

So don't be a 10 str wizard. My wizards have always had a strength item on them somewhere. I can't stand getting Ray of Enfeebled, Waves of Fatigued, or Waves of Exhausted. It just isn't fun and there's no reason why you shouldn't have a strength item on.

Dandonk
10-24-2011, 04:47 AM
So don't be a 10 str wizard. My wizards have always had a strength item on them somewhere. I can't stand getting Ray of Enfeebled, Waves of Fatigued, or Waves of Exhausted. It just isn't fun and there's no reason why you shouldn't have a strength item on.

Read the OP again. Yes, he has 10 str base. But he's also wearing a +7 str item and has cast rage on himself.

Now, my newer casters generally have 14 base str, but I do agree with the OP - the amount of collectables and ingredients are getting out of hand.

SirShen
10-24-2011, 04:55 AM
/signed

I have to put my bag in my bank its just to heavy to take with me. So all those shards iv crafted stay in that bag.

Dandonk
10-24-2011, 04:56 AM
The best thing is to suspend the weight requirement for anything inside bags. It's magic - they can hold thousands of items. Just remove the weight requirements unless you stick them in your inventory. If it's in the bag; no weight.

Oh, yes please. Can haz?

EDIT: Ninja!

patang01
10-24-2011, 04:59 AM
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE can we have fewer collectables/ingredients per item?

Greensteel items, Dragonscales, Gianthold Relics, and the zone wide collectables require only a few items of each and you get 1 per drop.

Festival coins had a slightly increased drop but you mass turned them in for single items.

Since Mabar and CCove and now Crafting the amount of items you need to aquire items runs into the 100s and 1,000s.

Quite frankly my 10 str wizard just cannot carry that sort of weight around all the time! I have 2 large ingredient bags, one is currently 58lbs in weight the other is 122lbs! (I'm still at medium encumbrance even with a +7 str item and under rage!) I destroyed thousands of coins during CCove because I couldnt handle the weight (and being torch runner weight is a concern)

What I don't understand is why you chose such high numbers when dividing by 10 gives exactly the same results without problems such as stack limits (mabar spectral scales), multiple bag requirements, weight, etc.

These new cannith challenges are doing exactly the same!
Why must I give in 400 (4lbs) obsidian arrowheads when dividing the drop rate and costs by 10 or even 100 would result in the same rewards?

I noticed you get 1 item for every 10 dragonshards you aquire from the kobold khaos quest. With 500 required to succeed thats 50 per run minimum (if you dont blow them just before completion on optionals). divide it by 10 and I'll get 5 instead but i still get something!

I agree. The whole carrying more material stuff is going overboard. I have mules and I try to bank as much as possible but my Artificer and the guy who carry all the crafting stuff started out with lower str and even with a +6 item he gets overloaded a lot. The best thing is to suspend the weight requirement for anything inside bags. It's magic - they can hold thousands of items. Just remove the weight requirements unless you stick them in your inventory. If it's in the bag; no weight.

S1M0N5
10-24-2011, 05:30 AM
The best thing is to suspend the weight requirement for anything inside bags. It's magic - they can hold thousands of items. Just remove the weight requirements unless you stick them in your inventory. If it's in the bag; no weight.

A bag of holding appears to be a common cloth sack of about 2 by 4 feet (0.61 by 1.2 m) in size. It opens into a nondimensional space (similar to a magic satchel) or a pocket dimension, making the space larger inside than it is outside. Each bag always weighs the same amount, between 15 and 60 pounds (6.8 and 27 kg), regardless of what is put into it. It can store a combined weight of up to forty times its own weight, and a combined volume of 30 to 250 cubic feet (0.85 to 7.1 m3). A living creature put in a bag of holding will suffocate after about 10 minutes.
If a bag of holding is overloaded, or if a sharp object pierces it (from outside or inside), the bag will rupture and be ruined, the contents lost forever in "nilspace."

Reducing the max weight of whichever type of bag along with it's carry properties to more closely match the ORIGINAL pen and paper D&D would, most likely be the best middle ground option on this. You could still maintain the separation of the different types of bags (i.e. Gem, Collectible, Ingredient) and even the different size categories (Tiny, Small, Medium, etc...) by just scaling the base Bag of Holding weight/size numbers thereby still maintaining the "value" of each respectively.

Call the original D&D Bag of Holding a "Large" size category:

Large Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 60Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 2400Lbs (This can still be broken down by stack size and number of stacks with a little math.)

Medium Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 40Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 1600Lbs (Again, break this down however is needed.)

Small Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 20Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 800Lbs (Again, break this down however is needed.)

Tiny Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 10Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 400Lbs (Again, break this down however is needed.)

This would still allow for maintaining appropriate game mechanics, while making a Bag of Holding actually BE a Bag of Holding.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Good gaming!
-Simon

EDIT: On a more... Devious Note.... I would LOVE to see some of these appear randomly (VERY LOW Drop Rate):

Bag of Devouring -
Essentially a bottomless pit in a bag, this bag appears to be a normal sack, like a bag of holding, and seems to be a bag of holding on closer inspection. However, the bag is a lure used by an extradimensional creature; it is one of its feeding orifices.
Any substance of animal or vegetable matter put into the bag has a chance of being swallowed over time. Even a person reaching in to retrieve or place an item, after the initial time, has a chance of being completely dragged into the bag and swallowed. The bag of devouring will act as a bag of holding, but every hour it has an increasing chance of swallowing the contents. Any plants or animals swallowed by the bag in this way are transported to the creature's stomach, digested, and lost forever, while inedible items are swallowed and spat into another plane.

somenewnoob
10-24-2011, 05:44 AM
/signed

I'm completely burnt out on crafting ingredients. But judging by the last few updates it seems that will be the new norm. Each of the last few updates have items that you need to collect 1000 other items to upgrade. Kind of tired of it really.

xandariant
10-24-2011, 06:01 AM
/signed

This should be corrected.

Best is to make all colectables weight 0,00 lbs instead of 0,01.

Yvonnel-1
10-24-2011, 06:14 AM
extradimensional storage room takes more weight in inventory than the bag itself - meh, epic fail!

as mentioned above this should just not be - own weight sure, but if i store it not really "in" bag why is it still making it heavy?

and to the OP: yes, u R a packrat and now come and get my garbage down... its too heavy for me :D

honkuimushi
10-24-2011, 06:15 AM
I agree, not only the weight, but also just the shear number of new ingredients. You've got 12 different greater essenses, if you do any deconstruction, you've got 12 different lesser essences, you've got distilled enhancement bonuses, you've got the new special crating materials, Shroud ingredients, Risia ingredients, Cove stufff, Mabar stuff, crafted shards, trap parts, soul gems, Cannith ingredients dragon shards. Plus misc. stuff. And you can't even buy a medium bag from a vendor. While I appreciate upgrading the bag from the 12 to a small bag, I would be more appreciative if the bag on sale in the vendors had been increased to a Medium bag at the same time.

The only thing that annoys me more than how many ingredients everyone has to lug around now is all the stuff that's bound to character, but doesn't fit in a bag and thus end up using one inventory space per stack on every character that has them-- things like planar shards and all the compasses and requisitions from the Crystal Cove.

Xufang
10-24-2011, 06:31 AM
/signed

*drags collectible out of bag*

Are you sure you want to destroy this item?

*clicks yes*

This is how I've played since I started DDO. The collectibles system is ludicrous, and making the game even more about them is even more ludicrous.

quijenoth
10-24-2011, 08:29 AM
Here is an idea...

add a new recipe to stone of change...

random ingredients bag + collapsed portable hole = weightless random ingredients bag.

hell if they wanna make money from it add an astral diamond into the mix

Maatogaeoth
10-24-2011, 08:38 AM
one is currently 58lbs in weight the other is 122lbs!

This is probably due to the stacks of khyber and siberies dragonshards. Stack of 10,000 weighs 100# or something. Pull 'em out and keep a stack of each in your bank. Destroy the rest IMO.

My STR-based monk is always concerned about what's in her inventory. Drop out of light encumbrance and I lose most of my monk bonuses. Stopped carrying around the dragonshard fragments and as long as I get rid of the looted armor ASAP, I never run into issues from the ingredient/collectable bags and I have the Huge version of both.

Cormath
10-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Inventory managment in gerenral is poor in this game. What I really want is a way to go to each character and export a list of what they have based on wearing/carrying/bags/personal bank/shared bank. If I could just export each container, I could then complie a spreadsheet to find my stuff.

As for the bag and weight problem, I find the only work around to be using multiple bags fro the shard bank/ personal bank/ and carried inventory. What I really want is not just to change weighs but get a different COLORED bag (or three). Then I could use a color for each type of crafting based Shroud, Crafting Skill, Item Upgrades (Loardsmarch, etc). If I had difffernt colored bags, I could at least fill them with what I want in them and then dump out and autogather to clean up inventory.

gloopygloop
10-24-2011, 09:17 AM
This is probably due to the stacks of khyber and siberies dragonshards. Stack of 10,000 weighs 100# or something. Pull 'em out and keep a stack of each in your bank. Destroy the rest IMO.

My STR-based monk is always concerned about what's in her inventory. Drop out of light encumbrance and I lose most of my monk bonuses. Stopped carrying around the dragonshard fragments and as long as I get rid of the looted armor ASAP, I never run into issues from the ingredient/collectable bags and I have the Huge version of both.

Crunch them up in the Stone of Change. Small and Average Khyber Dragonshards are useful for Trap the Soul and various sizes of Siberys Dragonshards are useful for feat swaps with Fred.

Edit: I finally got around to doing this on my Wizard and I also moved all of the Greater/Lesser Essences from him over to my crafter and I cut my pack's weight down from 670 pounds to 390 pounds.

quijenoth
10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Thats exactly what i do. My Epic Robe of shadow is currently sitting on Adamantine Ritual III and I'm also working on adamantine ritual for a Petrified Shadow Staff.

Saaluta
10-24-2011, 01:02 PM
The problem is, these are not "bags of holding" or "portable holes" as you find in pnp dnd. These are actual bags that you put things in, kinda like the things you drape over your hands and arms when you walk out of Wally world...that by the time you haul them up 3 flights of stairs when you get home, you are huffing and puffing like the wolf at the 3rd pigs door. Everything has weight! Complaining that 400 obsidian arowheads weighs 40 pounds or .01 pounds apiece, IMHO is silly. Just keep your large bags in the bank, carry a tiny bag with you and once a day/week dump it all into the large bags. :)

Saal :)

I know some of you are going to neg rep me for using common sense, idc really,but think about what I've said before you hit that button.

Zzevel
10-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Just keep your large bags in the bank, carry a tiny bag with you and once a day/week dump it all into the large bags. :)

I know some of you are going to neg rep me for using common sense, idc really,but think about what I've said before you hit that button.

+1 I typed this out and hit save and it didnt save. Just because you hqave 400 Funerary Tokens dosent mean you need to cary them with you... Basic Math here... You dont carry it with you, it dsent encumber you :P

Uryamore
10-24-2011, 06:36 PM
The problem is, these are not "bags of holding" or "portable holes" as you find in pnp dnd.
Quite true, but according to the Coin Lords, inventory bags 4 and 5 are a proper Bag of Holding and a real Portable Hole. By that logic, items in those bags should have reduced (bag 4) and zero (bag 5) weight.

Symar-FangofLloth
10-24-2011, 07:03 PM
Quite true, but according to the Coin Lords, inventory bags 4 and 5 are a proper Bag of Holding and a real Portable Hole. By that logic, items in those bags should have reduced (bag 4) and zero (bag 5) weight.

True...
But if we're going to go there, then our thousands or millions of Platinum we carry around should have weight.
And our weight loads should be 1/10th the size they are.

gloopygloop
10-24-2011, 07:12 PM
True...
But if we're going to go there, then our thousands or millions of Platinum we carry around should have weight.
And our weight loads should be 1/10th the size they are.

The most strength that a human can have (Olympic weight lifter strength) is 18.
10 base + 2 Tome + 6 item = 18.

Even the puny Wizards and Sorcerers at level 13ish and above (11 for Cannith crafting) are as strong as the strongest humans in the real world.

Symar-FangofLloth
10-24-2011, 07:18 PM
The most strength that a human can have (Olympic weight lifter strength) is 18.
10 base + 2 Tome + 6 item = 18.

Even the puny Wizards and Sorcerers at level 13ish and above (11 for Cannith crafting) are as strong as the strongest humans in the real world.

Now take that 18 Str weight lifter and give him the magical boosts to go to 26. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Anyway, an 18Str character, if we go by 3.5 rules, can carry 100lbs as a light load and 300lbs max. Going to 26 Str triples that. And then every +10Str quadruples.

Rawel_San
10-24-2011, 08:23 PM
+1 I typed this out and hit save and it didnt save. Just because you hqave 400 Funerary Tokens dosent mean you need to cary them with you... Basic Math here... You dont carry it with you, it dsent encumber you :P

Make it possible to swap between bags in a way other then having to dump things into inventory and then pick them up again scrolling every time (since the scroll bar in bags works horribly) and I might not mind as much.

As it is my cannith ingredients bag weighs 150-200lbs, my shroud+tod+alchemical bag weighs 180, and my
scroll+seal+shard bag weighs 110, (this one is huge and sadly bound to character). While my wizzie tops out
at 23 str when he needs to (hopes to hit 25 for von5 soon but only 8 base so tricky) it's really irritating having
to keep swapping things in and out of bags in a very slow and clumsy way. And yes I do put my two non epic
crafting bags into the bank but it's still not a lot of fun.

Jay203
10-24-2011, 11:08 PM
The problem is, these are not "bags of holding" or "portable holes" as you find in pnp dnd. These are actual bags that you put things in, kinda like the things you drape over your hands and arms when you walk out of Wally world...that by the time you haul them up 3 flights of stairs when you get home, you are huffing and puffing like the wolf at the 3rd pigs door. Everything has weight! Complaining that 400 obsidian arowheads weighs 40 pounds or .01 pounds apiece, IMHO is silly. Just keep your large bags in the bank, carry a tiny bag with you and once a day/week dump it all into the large bags. :)

true, but i still don't like the weight system in ANY game :D:D:D

Saaluta
10-24-2011, 11:39 PM
hehe, I don't like the weight system in real life, but at least the game makes some things weigh way less than they would in real life :) 400 obsidian arrowheads in real life would not be something I would want to carry around any farther than I had to :D Would probably be closer to 60-75 pounds :)

patang01
10-25-2011, 05:27 AM

You can't apply common sense to a system where a bag can hold 1000 different items, stacked 10000.

Vellrad
10-25-2011, 05:34 AM
This was one of reason I made my caster dwarf (except of course beard, cool /dance and /dance2, HP and saves bonuses)- immunity to medium load.
/signed
I would like to have decreased weigth of collectables and ingredients, and of course, moar space (120 intentory slots are still not enough for me :>).

patang01
10-25-2011, 05:36 AM

A tiny bag only holds so many items. You're very likely to pick of more items than a small bag can hold in a day of questing and I rather play than have to go to the bank after every quest and spend a lot of time micro manage inventory. There's a reason why we have huge bags.

Look - I see what you're saying, but this was actually not the issue a year ago. Where you had some red bag mats and some green bag mats and it never was much of a deal. Now we have the gargantuan bags meant to hold tons new material and we need thousands of it compared to the dozen before. And Turbine keep adding more and more materian for so many different crafting systems.

The solution is easy; they're creating the issue with material and instead of forcing us to micro manage the mess they're creating I suggest that anything that goes into the bags don't weigh anything.

It's a game - it's magic. We don't have to corn hole logic and common sense into it, since a gargantuan bag with 1000's of material cannot be explained with any common sense. Nor can the ability to carry 10 different weapons in your inventory without a horse or mule. I personally don't care about the logic since the bottom line is how fun I have and how much I enjoy playing the game - but when Turbine keep adding more and more ways to craft and such to the point that low strength characters are constantly burdoned, then I suggest simple fixes instead of forcing the players waste their time with inventory management just to get around a problem they didn't create in the first place.

DeathsApprentice
10-25-2011, 07:21 AM
And you can't even buy a medium bag from a vendor. While I appreciate upgrading the bag from the 12 to a small bag, I would be more appreciative if the bag on sale in the vendors had been increased to a Medium bag at the same time.

You can buy bags in the 'empty handed' store in House J. I bought a medium collectible and a medium ingredient bag there. They are exclusive, but that only means you can have 1 in you inventory. I currently have 1 in my inventory on each character and 3 in my shared bank account.

Once every couple of weeks, I empty the bag into my inventory and put it in the bank, put one from the shared bank in it's place and hit gather all, put it back in the shared bank, take the second from the shared bank, ...

All my collectibles are in 3 bags in my shared bank, weighing nothing.
(I do the same for my ingredients as well)

Lord_Darquain
10-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah I wish things in bags had no weight. As if it was mechanically a Bag of Holding/Handy Haversack.

I would buy more bags from the DDO Store if that was the case.

Zzevel
10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
As it is my cannith ingredients bag weighs 150-200lbs, my shroud+tod+alchemical bag weighs 180, and my
scroll+seal+shard bag weighs 110, (this one is huge and sadly bound to character).

Looks like you already sort stuff into different bags so whats 1 more that sits in your bank?

You (anyone really) should get no sympathy on bag carry weights, Strength fixs that issue, 8 str is a dump stat and when you dump it's nobody elses fault. The game gives you work around, do not carry it all, it even gives you a place to put it when not carrying it, the bank.

Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, Gargantuan All bag sizes, some you can carry only 1 or, others you can have multiple. No matter what you can have multiples in the bank. I agree you can fill a tiny easily in a day but there are other sizes that can be carried. One of my casters has 4 different Ingredient bags I sort different things into. It also has 2 in the bank I store other things in (GS Blank items, Shav Boot ingredients) If I don't need them with me I leave them behind, its one less clutter in my inv.

I do agree there are just too darn many things that need different ingredients, cannith crafting was the perfect opportunity to incorporate existing crafting materials, gems and scrolls etc.. in the game into one big crafting system. We do not need new ingredients every time a new update comes out. Turbine has given us options at more types of/bank slots if we choose to use them.

PestWulf
10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
As it is now, I grab all the collectibles but when my large bag fills up with a stack of one, like say...blades of the Dark SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

I pull them out of the bag 99 at a time and destroy them all. That way I have the chance to get some of the better random drops like useful ingredients and I don't have to replace my mouse every time I turn in a stack of 1,000 of these things. Nothing is really worth turning in except a few notable exceptions. The rest are for crafting or destroying.

If they are going to remain useless, I would LOVE to have an easier way to destroy them. That should tell you something about the implementation of collectibles right there.

If you don't want to fix how collectibles are used to make them worthwhile, then here are three things that would help a LOT.

1. increase stacking to 10,000 in store bought bags.

2. have increasing magical weight reduction on all bags. Having to be a raging barbarian to lugh around a Huge bag is beyond stupid. My Ingredients bag weights over 150lbs, My Collectible bag weighs over 150lbs. I now can no longer carry them on adventures, I have to shove them in the bank, use a 30 or 60 slot bag and then migrate them to the larger bag in the bank (one freaking click at a time) a couple times every week.

3. improve the bag interface, allow entire stacks to be pulled out, not just 99 at a time. Additionally add an EMPTY ALL button.

The only reason I ever left DDO the two times before was because of inventory management, mainly collectibles. Now that you have large enough bags that I can just loot and forget about it and keep playing, it's a lot more bearable. But as new content is added, that is reaching it's limits as a viable mechanism as well.

Also, just remove blades of the dark six from the game. I've destroyed more blades of the dark six than i've collected of all the other collectibles combined I believe.

Who the hell are the Dark Six and why do they have so damned many blades?????

PestWulf
10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
You really should get no sympathy on carry weights, Strength fixs that issue, 8 str is a dump stat and when you dump it's nobody elses fault. The game gives you work around, do not carry it all, it even gives you a place to put it when not carrying it, the bank.

Strength does not fix that issue. That is a blanket statement that does not apply to all races and classes. Take a halfling caster for instance that puts 6 points in STR to get to a 12. And picks up a +6 STR item (just assume he can wear it). This allows him to carry 374 lbs of weight before he crosses over into the Medium load category and starts incurring the run speed, dex cap, uncentered and armor check penalties.

I carry an ingredients bag and a collectible bag which takes up 300lbs of that, leaving me 74lbs to adventure with. Your solution is to not use my bags, or to put MORE points into STR and be a STR based Wizard??? Really????

Ikuryo
10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
You guys are missing the OPs point. Why do we need to be granted and use these things in the 100s. CC crafting required a minimum of a couple hundred of any coin to make something. Killing things granted me random amounts of 1-50 coins per kill. You could divide it all by 10 and have, basically, the same result. If the turn ins required 1/10 the # and the gems gave 1/10 the # when you traded them in you would not have to have 10000s of coins to do a couple of upgrades of an item.

My monk is sitting at about 220lbs of inventory. 150lbs is the ingredient bags. I've been trying to get a large ingredient bag to throw in the shard bank so I can store some of the stacks there but is going to be awkward to move stuff around each time he wants to craft something. During the CC event he ended up at 500lbs or so thanks to just the stuff for turn in from the cove. 300lb of coins/gems and there is no bank there so I would have to run into town anytime I wanted to reduce the weight or do a turn in.

Ended up with 23k gold doubloons at the end of that event. Destroyed most of them but kept one stack, "just in case" they are usable for something better next time. You could rather easily reduce the turn in amounts to 10% and have about the same result. Might have to mess with the coin drop rate from the mobs but those are barely used, most of your coins come from turning in gems.

TheLordBear
10-25-2011, 10:38 AM
I think the main issue you people are having is hoarding issues.

I've rarely had a problem with weight issues. Some solutions I use.

A) go thru your inventory regularly. Sell/bank the stuff you rarely or situationally use.
B) Crunch your dragonshards. Seriously. I took 100 lbs off my sorc last weekend doing this. siberys shards have 0 value in stacks of 1000+ and khybers are cheap on the AH if you need some for a ritual.
C) toss/bank/turn in your collectables. 400+ strings of prayer beads are not useful to anyone. Keep the rare ones of course, but you will usually only have a few of those anyways, so not much weight.
D) use your bank properly. If you do need those 40 pounds of prayer beads, put them in the bank. If you have a 30 lb twink suit of armor waiting for you, stick it in the bank...
E) Use your stronger toons as a bank. I have a strong barb who has 0 weight problems, so I send him extra collectables. He also is my crafter, so he can use them too.
F) SELL YOUR JUNK! Seriously. I have at least one and usually 2 whole screens of free inventory on every toon. You really don't need that much stuff.

Even my 12 st arti has very few weight issues. Seriously, quit hoarding, and your life will be better.

That said, It would make things nicer to have real bags of holding or less collectibles per turn in.

sephiroth1084
10-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Reducing the max weight of whichever type of bag along with it's carry properties to more closely match the ORIGINAL pen and paper D&D would, most likely be the best middle ground option on this. You could still maintain the separation of the different types of bags (i.e. Gem, Collectible, Ingredient) and even the different size categories (Tiny, Small, Medium, etc...) by just scaling the base Bag of Holding weight/size numbers thereby still maintaining the "value" of each respectively.

Call the original D&D Bag of Holding a "Large" size category:

Large Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 60Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 2400Lbs (This can still be broken down by stack size and number of stacks with a little math.)
Medium Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 40Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 1600Lbs (Again, break this down however is needed.)
Small Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 20Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 800Lbs (Again, break this down however is needed.)
Tiny Bag
Max Weight In Inventory - 10Lbs
Max Cary Capacity - 400Lbs (Again, break this down however is needed.)

This would still allow for maintaining appropriate game mechanics, while making a Bag of Holding actually BE a Bag of Holding.

Just my two cents on the matter.

Good gaming!
-Simon
:
I'll /sign this part.

Zzevel
10-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Your solution is to not use my bags, or to put MORE points into STR and be a STR based Wizard??? Really????

That's not what I said so don't confuse delusion and reality.

Put all you want in your bags.. in the bank. Keep your STR where it is at, I dont care if it is 6 or 36.

Do you think and DPS character who dumps INT should gain the same bonuses you gain for a high INT on your Wiz?? I didnt think so... it is a part, a perk if you will, of the stat in question. You have a high enough number in said stat, you get the associated benefits, you have a lower number you work around the issue, especially when the game provides you with said EASY workaround already. Don't complain to the masses that you chose a wizard with INT rather than a fighter with STR.

It's like asking to have monsters in the game do less damage because you chose to go with a Drow as your race and they have -CON so less HP overall.... your personal choice in character creation should not influence changes in the game, especially if it isn't broken. Use the Dev time to add content and fix things that are BROKEN for a change... is all i'm sayin.

PestWulf
10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
That's not what I said so don't confuse delusion and reality.

Put all you want in your bags.. in the bank. Keep your STR where it is at, I dont care if it is 6 or 36.

Do you think and DPS character who dumps INT should gain the same bonuses you gain for a high INT on your Wiz?? I didnt think so... it is a part, a perk if you will, of the stat in question. You have a high enough number in said stat, you get the associated benefits, you have a lower number you work around the issue, especially when the game provides you with said EASY workaround already. Don't complain to the masses that you chose a wizard with INT rather than a fighter with STR.

It's like asking to have monsters in the game do less damage because you chose to go with a Drow as your race and they have -CON so less HP overall.... your personal choice in character creation should not influence changes in the game, especially if it isn't broken. Use the Dev time to add content and fix things that are BROKEN for a change... is all i'm sayin.

I think you are confused. First off, it's exactly what you said. Read it however you like, but you pretty much say bags are not to be used, but rather stored in the bank and you also pretty much say if you dumpstat STR you deserve it.

I pointed out that not dump stating STR still leads to issues because of collectibles and ingredients.

This is not about melee vs. mage or STR vs INT like you are trying to make it out to be. This is not a persons fault over choosing a playstyle nor is it a perk for those that choose a different playstyle. This is about Collectibles breaking the encumbrance system. I have no problem with a barbarian being able to carry five sets of full plate like its nothing and my halfling can't do more than 1.

Collectibles and ingredients are NOT standard loot, they are a system put in place to enable other facets of the game. The problem is they are still being treated like DDO is 1 year old with zero expansions. I wouldn't be surprised if the sheer volume of Icon's in the bags when you open them is causing load lag in the banks there are so many.
EDIT: Actually, that might be worth mentioning to the devs, perhaps database calls to all those icons could be a contributing factor.....

Collectibles are a lot like the lottery in this game, sometimes you find something worthwhile and useful but most of the time it's a waste of the time it took to pick it up. The joy of a 200 slot bag is being able to pick things up so you don't lose the chance at the "good stuff" but also so you don't have spend 10 to 30 minutes at the end of every day either destroying all the **** collectibles out of your bag (10 min.) or running all over creation to turn them in and then sell off or disenchant all the useless **** you get. (30 min or more.).

Having to spend a significant time doing inventory management every time you want to play the game is a **** mechanic. The root of this issue are the bazillion collectibles out there combined with the bazillion ingredients out there and the fact that they carry normal weight.

To illustrate, a 30 slot bag is more times than not insufficient to hold all the collectibles you find in the course of 4 hours of play sometimes it's not even enough for 2 hours of play, all depends on where you play. Either you let it spill into your inventory or you get a bigger bag. Collectibles grow with every expansion...guess what is coming up in this new expansion? Tokens!!! yay...more **** to stick in your bag.

There is so many different types of things in this game that you need to stack up to be able to play that you can about have half an entire inventory backpack of nothing but different unique containers. Even if you put them in the bank it's still a lot of space with a lot of weight if you ever want to use it.

Here is another example of how screwed up it is.

As a halfling palemaster wizard, I go into zombie form and cast rage on me with a +4 STR item. I take my ingredient bag out of the bank and my collectible bag out of the bank and am at HEAVY burden. Why do I do this? Because I want to craft and I am in the crafting hall. I just reached the point last week that if I want to do this, I have to take some of the gear swaps I have in my inventory and put them in the bank because I can no longer pull my second bag out without being overburdened to the point where it won't let me pick the second bag up.

It's a 200 slot bag, made to store 200 things, yet if you actually try to use the bag to store things, it becomes so heavy that not only might you have to be a barbarian...but you may have to be using RAGE as well just to carry the dang thing 20 feet to craft.

Collectibles and ingredients and their weight are just plain out of control, if you can't see that.....
*reaches into his bag* Here, have some Woodblossom Nectar.

Ryiah
10-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Read the OP again. Yes, he has 10 str base. But he's also wearing a +7 str item and has cast rage on himself.

I skimmed over the post initially. I can't stand reading text where someone changes the color away from something normally easy to read from the beginning.

Truga
10-26-2011, 09:52 AM
I started with 8 STR. Didn't use a tome (yet anyway). I do just fine with a +6 item.

Xionanx
10-26-2011, 10:02 AM
******** collectible creep has been out of hand since the day this game went live. I would LOVE for the devs to make a MAJOR consolidation pass to eliminate a lot of this junk.

bashemgud
10-26-2011, 10:30 AM
My Gargantuan (sp?) bag weights 223 pounds. Seriously, my magical extraplanar bag weights that much.

Ridiculous, even more when you think how much they cost in the store.

MaximumCharisma
10-26-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm not really sure I agree with OP about the 1/10th idea as it wouldn't really alleviate problems that many of us as players have when playing non Str-based toons. 1/10th of the items would still be too much shuffling, sorting tossing into trash or what have you. I think the majority of players feel that the crafting system has developed into a bit of a headache.

I feel like I understand the original intentions of the weight system but at this point in the game, weighted ingredient (and collectable etc.) bags are simply not adding any dimension of fun to the game and are actually taking some of the fun out of the game. I feel that I should not suffer consequences of weight burden on a non Str-based class/race that I choose based on the collectables and whatnot that I carry. This burden should come from my hot-swaps, extra armors, shields etc that I keep in my 5-6 inventory spaces that I have for those "just in case" moments.

The ability to sort out bags for specific items was a step in the right direction, so I feel that the developers are listening to this kind of feedback and I hope to see some solution comming soon.

Long story short: please revise the weight system to exclude collectables and ingredients that can be put into bags.

Hokiewa
10-26-2011, 11:04 AM
/signed

The number of collectibles (ingredients, collectibles, recipes, parts for numerous things, new collectibles with the challenges,) it is out of hand.

karsion
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
/signed

The number of collectibles (ingredients, collectibles, recipes, parts for numerous things, new collectibles with the challenges,) it is out of hand.

The problem is the number of collectables not their weight (tho the two are connected) and here in u12 instead of curing the illness devs are curing the symptoms. Better than nothing I guess.

Galeria
10-26-2011, 12:40 PM
From Dev Notes for u12:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=206066

Many standard crafting ingredients and festival items now have zero weight/encumbrance so weaker characters don't have as much trouble hauling around all of their supplies. Ingredients affected:

Deconstruction materials
all Lesser and Greater Essences
All standard crafting shards
Doubloons from the Crystal Cove event
Motes of Winter
Motes of Night

Backley
10-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Long story short: please revise the weight system to exclude collectables and ingredients that can be put into bags.

From the latest Lamannia Release Notes (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=206066):

Many standard crafting ingredients and festival items now have zero weight/encumbrance so weaker characters don't have as much trouble hauling around all of their supplies. Ingredients affected:

Deconstruction materials
Motes of Winter
Motes of Night

Woot!

While they are at it, they should set Siberys Dragonshard Fragments and Khyber Dragonshard Fragments to have zero weight and fit into Ingredients bags.

Someone on Lamannia mind confirming if they have already done that (before I bug report it)?

oradafu
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM
From Dev Notes for u12:

Deconstruction materials
Motes of Winter
Motes of Night

Yeah! My main bag lost 200 pounds with this change.

I noticed that Festivult coins and cookies still have weight. Although the weight with these items are actually quite small: coins and cookies are a pound per 100.

quijenoth
10-26-2011, 03:40 PM
From Dev Notes for u12:

Deconstruction materials
Motes of Winter
Motes of Night

I had a warm feeling all over when I read this in the release notes !

Devs, thanks for listening :)

silvermesh
10-27-2011, 04:28 AM
hehe. I like the argument that putting bags in the bank is somehow not using them. As if you really need to tote around 6000 winter motes in the middle of october..(what just never know when yer gonna need them?)
yes, putting them in the bank does make the most sense. i've never had any weight issues on any character, and never really get full on inventory with a medium bag from house P to pick up quest junk. the bags are designed to keep the bullcrap that we pick up from cluttering the hell out of our inventory, not to act as store-all devices.

The real meat of the problem isn't stack size and weight, it's the fact that every single update now adds at least 4 new collectible types for no good reason. I get that they want you to play THIS event for THIS reward, but do we really need a hundred different types of gold coins? Fifty different types of arrowheads? They can obviously track # of completions... why not tie that to how many rewards you can claim and use collectibles already in game???

Xufang
10-27-2011, 04:37 AM
From Dev Notes for u12:

Deconstruction materials
Motes of Winter
Motes of Night

YES!

I'm so happy! Thank you Devs :)

patang01
10-27-2011, 06:48 AM
The change is awesome - with no weight for those specific items my low str Artificer can remain being crafter supreme without worrying about being encumbered from carrying all those mats.

PestWulf
10-27-2011, 08:18 AM
A much needed change. Now my crafter will be able to pull out both his bags from the bank without having to put his other gear swaps in the bank.

They still need to address the number of collectibles issue. If they ever gain sentience, we are outnumbered about 10 to 1 in collectible types vs. server population.

Lord_Darquain
10-27-2011, 12:31 PM
While we're talking about ingredients and collectibles, I would still like to see updates to the old ones.

In this time of wanting to sell us shared banks and BTAing most of the new stuff, please make items like the sub tokens both BTA and able to be loaded into a red bag. Please make collectibles like festival pieces that are primarily or ONLY used for ingredients go into green bags where one would sensibly look for them. Please make DT draconic runes BTA and fit into red bags, please make all the other DT runes BTA and still in green bags.

Please make the alchemical recipes visible in the Stone of Change like the new recipe altars and have those ingredients go into green bags by default and have the collectors that also take them only take them form inventory, not out of bags so newbies can't accidentally nerf themselves as easily as they cna now.

Please make the spirits from MA/LoB BTA or I simply won't heal those raids anymore.

Drekisen
10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
I generally just carry a tiny or small collectable, gem, and ingredient bag on my characters and just dump everything I get into my larges every so often that I keep in my shared bank.

Of course I would love to have our bags not count towards encumbrance, but there are other things I would love a lot more than that.