PDA

View Full Version : Strong dream:Increase Chinese Language

coinlord4444
10-23-2011, 08:46 PM
since this game end by sd in china,very many chinese people back to the United States to play this game,so i want
to a strong dream: increase chinese language game server, Such more chinese people will back to the United States to play this game.

orakio
10-23-2011, 09:12 PM
Probably the wrong forums for pushing for chinese game servers, also google translator needs help.

Xionanx
10-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Normally I'm all about keeping stuff in the right forums, but the OP has a point. Native language servers are NEEDED.

Preferably using this list as an indicator of how server languages should be distrubuted:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers.

Chinese (Mandarin)
Spanish
English
Hindu
Arabic
etc..

What strikes me as ODD is that Germany got its own server, yet compared to the number of Chinese or Spanish speakers there are FAR LESS of them..

Gkar
10-23-2011, 10:18 PM
What strikes me as ODD is that Germany got its own server, yet compared to the number of Chinese or Spanish speakers there are FAR LESS of them..

How many exist is meaningless. How many play is something Turbine knows and bases its choices on.

scottmike0
10-23-2011, 10:36 PM
How many exist is meaningless. How many play is something Turbine knows and bases its choices on.

This ^

Tajuh
10-23-2011, 10:38 PM
I can definitely see the need. Sarlona's population of Chinese players is quite sizable, that's for sure. Not too sure of the others, though.

coinlord4444
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
we very much love this game, and already many chinese Trade union in Sarlona Server, so i entreat Turbine realization our dream, thank you

Xionanx
10-23-2011, 10:54 PM
I can definitely see the need. Sarlona's population of Chinese players is quite sizable, that's for sure. Not too sure of the others, though.

Khyber is full of Spanish speakers :rolleyes:, which is odd since it used to be a mostly aussie/canadian server.

Xionanx
10-23-2011, 10:55 PM

I would imagine more (chinese/spanish) would play IF they had a native tongue server.

dTarkanan
10-23-2011, 10:59 PM
I would imagine more (chinese/spanish) would play IF they had a native tongue server.
This may be true- but you need to have an existing player base before you set-up such a server. This isn't a field of dreams "if you build it, they will come" scenario. The Chinese F2P MMORPG market is heavily saturated- Establishing a new server and recoding a client based purely on the hopes that players will choose it out of the 80-odd options out there, is not great business sense.

coinlord4444
10-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Prior to China not many people play because it was the time of Chinese computer configuration is too poor and novices are not easy to use,And from before the Chinese agents SD where he finished off the game client take over, it should not be difficult to achieve.

Unreliable
10-24-2011, 02:39 AM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont take the Chinese away from us! If you do the population of ''good'' players on our server will literally drop to 0% lol.

:)

Astraghal
10-24-2011, 03:09 AM
I never see any Chinese in DDO, like I do in other games, why is that?

nivarch
10-24-2011, 03:12 AM

You should come to Sarlona ;)

Koshy11
10-24-2011, 06:48 AM
I think how it is, is fine.

We have voice chat to use, and for those who's familiar with how Chinese MMOers function.

I'd say its a blessing they can't spam, to say the least start those petty drama.

Do not doubt we're efficient with our gaming, since we can't quite get into drama land due to language barrier.

And lets not even begin with the whole gold farmer argument.

So /not signed. Those who are already with us as it is now, have adapted and are thriving well.

Treenewbee
10-24-2011, 08:10 AM
I think it's easy to make a Chinese server .
But it's very hard to pass government audit and get the permission.

coinlord4444
10-24-2011, 08:44 AM
I think it's easy to make a Chinese server .
But it's very hard to pass government audit and get the permission.
if Chinese server is never put in mainland China, this's not pass government permission.

dunklezhan
10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
if Chinese server is never put in mainland China, this's not pass government permission.

...and then the chinese government find out about it, decide they don't like it and down comes the Great Firewall of inscrutability. And the game can't surive in any given geographic area without some scrut, let me tell you. Now, that could happen any time right now, but if it happened after Turbine spent a load of money on it that would be Bad.

How Bad?

Well, imagine this twinkie is the normal amount of budgetary margin that turbine have to play with. Well, we'd be talking about a twinkie 3 miles long.

That's a big twinkie.

What's a big twinke?

Tell him about the twinkie Ray.

I hear what you're saying OP, but it just doesn't make sense for Turbine to do what you're asking without the buy in from the Chinese government, who are not likely to give it unless Turbine let a chinese company handle it. And that worked out real well for the euro servers, right?

Yvonnel-1
10-24-2011, 08:54 AM
can i have a Bavarian client too, plz ?

i dont understand german quite well :(

patang01
10-24-2011, 08:56 AM

I bet Sarlona have all the good rations then in the taverns.

XaesLiech
10-24-2011, 09:00 AM
can i have a Bavarian client too, plz ?

i dont understand german quite well :(

hehe musst halt mal hochdeutsch lernen :D ... bavarian server. ARGH!

jingseng
10-24-2011, 09:22 AM
part of the problem is that the DDO UI does not support chinese characters.

Frankly, it's something of a two or three for one - adding those characters will also open up markets in korea and japan.

To argue, however, that there is no player base to support a server is to happily get caught up in a semantic argument of chickens and eggs where no one, least of all businesses, win. If you don't make inroads into a market to support a player base, HOW COULD you develop one?

It's like saying, well, I have this great idea for a new product that no one has...

Well, we can't give you any funding to start a company. No one wants your product. See? no one has it yet...

Vordax
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM

Its probably more related to how many PAY, not play. Quite possibly the $(€) per person is higher for German & French speakers than Spanish, Chinese, etc...

Only Turbine knows..

Vordax

lichld
10-25-2011, 12:12 AM
支持增开中文

coinlord4444
10-25-2011, 03:11 AM
支持增开中文
原来bbs支持中文啊

xj321
10-25-2011, 03:19 AM
期待中文客户端!!!!!!!!!!!!
期待中文玩家一起来顶!!!!

St_Satan
10-25-2011, 03:21 AM
Impressive Chinglish......
I wonder why the client must be in English 2..

AMDarkwolf
10-25-2011, 03:47 AM

The simple reason behind this was that Germans have much more disposable income than many other countries do, and many of them choose to spend it online.

The Chinese market has a fair bit of those that would spend, but its only around 10% of the total 'playing' market. (As in only 10%(ish) of the people playing would pay cash into the game.)

Lord_Darquain
10-25-2011, 12:25 PM
I think a Chinese language server is fair enough given the amount of groups I see on Sarlona during their peaktimes - often far out numbering the Euro & North American groups I see during our peaktimes.

One thing I would like to see is fewer English language servers so there's less dead time trying to find someone to play with in-between updates. It gets really bad sometimes with 0-3 PUGs going at ANY level.

I say combine down to 3 English servers and give two of the servers to new languages: one French/Portuguese/Spanish and one Chinese.

And make DDO Store character slots per-server and a heck of a lot cheaper. :mad:

baii
10-25-2011, 12:40 PM
I am a native chinese speaker but i dun really find the need for chinese support .
i pretty much communicate with my guild (english speaking) with around 10 word/phase

1. die
2. the f word
3. ping
4. give meh my "sos shard" (replace words in quote)
5 -10. raid names -lob/dragon-ev6/dq.. etc

if u want to talk use voice chat ~~

and i believe <1% read dialogue
ship buff/quest is straight forward...

Miow
10-25-2011, 12:45 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dont take the Chinese away from us! If you do the population of ''good'' players on our server will literally drop to 0% lol.

:)

Lol they are the best and the worst

richieelias27
10-25-2011, 03:12 PM
Lol they are the best and the worst

True that. But then, so is every nationality on our server.

If all the Chinese left Sarlona, then the servers would be DEAD after 11pm eastern time. From a nightshift playing Sarlona player... I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS!!!

Chinese ppl... pls do not leave server and make me play with myself.

Think of the children.

Chai
10-25-2011, 03:33 PM
True that. But then, so is every nationality on our server.

If all the Chinese left Sarlona, then the servers would be DEAD after 11pm eastern time. From a nightshift playing Sarlona player... I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS!!!

Chinese ppl... pls do not leave server and make me play with myself.

Think of the children.

Yeap exactly.

After like 1AM I have yet to have someone review MyDDO and walk me through an entire three tier interview process for getting into a group, complete with me having to explain quest details and having to link epic items from the same quest just to get in. Those cats roll and they roll fast, and they dont care about gear drama, build drama, or ePeen® gear linking contests. Its just a nice quiet plowing of epic content and item acquisition.

Any americans on during that time are likely too dr0nk to care, and the europeans arent caffeinated enough to care yet either, heh.

parvo
10-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I had a strong dream too but I can't describe it on the forum...

Anyway, I disagree with segregation. I prefer the servers to have 24/7 activity.

parvo
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Its probably more related to how many PAY, not play. Quite possibly the $(€) per person is higher for German & French speakers than Spanish, Chinese, etc...

Only Turbine knows..

Vordax

Good point...market will determine what language.

Xenostrata
10-25-2011, 06:05 PM

I'm sure the convention in Germany like a week before the new server had something to do with it as well.

iskandarre
10-25-2011, 07:33 PM
I am native Korean and I said about this several times.

Most english users don't know about this. This game only support english and some languages.

When I try type Korean, It show me only,

??? ?? ???? ??

LOL

Yes Korean isn't popular language.

But This game is Global Game. There are lots of Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Danish, Greek, Brazillian etc.

I'm not saying about 'Make each OWN LANGUAGE BASED SERVER.'

Just make this game support(or connect?) Microsoft IME(Well, don't know full name... maybe International Multilanguage Exxxx:D) so many peoples can chat there own language. It will help many peoples come to DDO.
Especially Korean, Chinese, Japanese, Europe (where doomed DDO :D) Many of them want play DDO but Language problem is block them.

so I say again, Make Multi-lingual-Chat. NOT CLIENT. PLZ ONLY CHAT (caps sorry :))
I don't think there is native Korean, Chinese or Japanese in Turbine(or not). and I don't expect well translated client. :D Making brandnew language client is really hard. but just support(or connect) with other program isn't that hard.

let me make this long story shortly.

Make this game to support multi-lingual-chat.
It will make all happy :)

감사합니다 :)

Xionanx
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
Yeah, it shouldn't be too difficult to add the character font support. I mean M$ has language support packs that cover the entire OS in roughly 4-5mb packs. Surely the Windows OS is more complicated then the chat client in DDO?

coinlord4444
10-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Increase the chinese language support for ddo, as soon as possible to reflect the official of Turbine

voxson5
10-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Would be quite cool to have an in-game text translator, that would get around a lot of language barrier issues.
-eg user types in his/her chosen language -> game spits it out into whatever language the other users have set up their client as

Maybe try it on Lamania for 2 languages & see how the servers hold up? (english/mandarin)

What about the asian servers anyway? (are they still running?) I saw this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVE4cnzUEpI) on youtube - a crazy challenge from a while back on the Japanese servers.

Milfeulle
10-27-2011, 10:40 AM

Come to Sarlona, my guildies are all Chinese :D

coinlord4444
10-27-2011, 08:32 PM
China has a population of 1400000000 people, is the most populous country in the world, market potential can not be ignored!

coinlord4444
11-03-2011, 08:21 PM
i want to know Turbine have see it?

Ertay
11-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Would be quite cool to have an in-game text translator, that would get around a lot of language barrier issues.
-eg user types in his/her chosen language -> game spits it out into whatever language the other users have set up their client as

Maybe try it on Lamania for 2 languages & see how the servers hold up? (english/mandarin)

I do not mean to offend you personally, but really, having an automatic google translator for everybody who does not speak english would make my ears bleed as soon as I enter the marketplace instance, maybe earlier.

And really, it would create more problems then it would solve. Imagine at least, say, a chinese, a german and an american person in a party, every single one entering text in his language and getting translations from the others. Not only would their translation not be the same as the others, they couldnt even point out were it was wrong and ask to other party to clarify because they never got the same text from the start.

Nagantor
11-04-2011, 09:50 AM
Yeah, it shouldn't be too difficult to add the character font support. I mean M$ has language support packs that cover the entire OS in roughly 4-5mb packs. Surely the Windows OS is more complicated then the chat client in DDO?

Adding support for the fonts is very easy. But there's a huge amount of other stuff hidden in internationalization you'd never think off. Supporting western european languages which are very similiar in basic structure is just a bit of work, supporting many others is very difficult. Starting the whole matter about multi byte encodings, right to left languages and more... great, great fun. Expect a ton of bugs in all language versions as code all over the game needs to be changed.