PDA

View Full Version : lord of blades alignment

crimsonrazac
10-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I was just curious what his alignment truly is. According to most sources I could find it should be lawful evil, but when I started hitting him with an anarchic weapon I just see a big immune over his head for that portion of the damage.

nibel
10-23-2011, 04:21 PM
More proof that this one isnt the true Lord of Blades.

SisAmethyst
10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Mhhh, dunno, if I lookup d20srd then the description for

Lawful Evil, "Dominator"
A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises.

This reluctance comes partly from his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil villains have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but having underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They imagine that these compunctions put them above unprincipled villains.

Some lawful evil people and creatures commit themselves to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end unto itself. They may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master.

Lawful evil is sometimes called "diabolical," because devils are the epitome of lawful evil.

Lawful evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents methodical, intentional, and frequently successful evil.

But somehow this doesn't fit the story line. He fight for the warforged and is more a rebel leader that fight for the injustice done to the warforged which makes him hatred for mankind. In the 3rd edition he indeed was written as being LE, in the 4th they changed him to unaligned. Last but not least I thought he is possessed by some kind of quori.

So maybe the Devs gone a bit more after the 4th edition in this case and made him true neutral and therefore immune against allignment based weapons?

Also isn't the combat log usually more reliable regarding the info about certain immunities or resistance, as it usually as well show if you just not passed the DR value or if it hasn't apply a all?

Jendrak
10-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Mhhh, dunno, if I lookup d20srd then the description for

Lawful Evil, "Dominator"
A lawful evil villain methodically takes what he wants within the limits of his code of conduct without regard for whom it hurts. He cares about tradition, loyalty, and order but not about freedom, dignity, or life. He plays by the rules but without mercy or compassion. He is comfortable in a hierarchy and would like to rule, but is willing to serve. He condemns others not according to their actions but according to race, religion, homeland, or social rank. He is loath to break laws or promises.

This reluctance comes partly from his nature and partly because he depends on order to protect himself from those who oppose him on moral grounds. Some lawful evil villains have particular taboos, such as not killing in cold blood (but having underlings do it) or not letting children come to harm (if it can be helped). They imagine that these compunctions put them above unprincipled villains.

Some lawful evil people and creatures commit themselves to evil with a zeal like that of a crusader committed to good. Beyond being willing to hurt others for their own ends, they take pleasure in spreading evil as an end unto itself. They may also see doing evil as part of a duty to an evil deity or master.

Lawful evil is sometimes called "diabolical," because devils are the epitome of lawful evil.

Lawful evil is the most dangerous alignment because it represents methodical, intentional, and frequently successful evil.

But somehow this doesn't fit the story line. He fight for the warforged and is more a rebel leader that fight for the injustice done to the warforged which makes him hatred for mankind. In the 3rd edition he indeed was written as being LE, in the 4th they changed him to unaligned. Last but not least I thought he is possessed by some kind of quori.

So maybe the Devs gone a bit more after the 4th edition in this case and made him true neutral and therefore immune against allignment based weapons?

Also isn't the combat log usually more reliable regarding the info about certain immunities or resistance, as it usually as well show if you just not passed the DR value or if it hasn't apply a all?

Well considering you need Holy and addy to break his dr and he takes the holy damage he's I defiantly evil. If they changed his aligment at all the best they could do is neutral evil. Haven't tested the law/chaos weapon damage so can't say for sure on that aspect.

Alternative
10-24-2011, 01:43 AM
On live I've been hitting him with epic chaosblades and he takes full damage from true chaos but is immune to anarchic, so seems to be neutral evil, disappointing.

krogyy
10-24-2011, 02:41 AM
On live I've been hitting him with epic chaosblades and he takes full damage from true chaos but is immune to anarchic, so seems to be neutral evil, disappointing.

lame, i will need to redo a pair of handwraps i just crafted now.

to me lob sounds more lawful-neutral rather than neutral-evil anyway. but then the DR type would not make sense anymore and then the optimal weapon choices would be VERY different. i see it as an attempt from the devs to not shift the weapon balance too much.

Chaosprism
10-24-2011, 04:12 AM
You cant have that sort of hate inside you and NOT be evil, just like inspector gnomon in the house P bogwater.

That scumbucket doing evil in the silver flames name is going to get his just deserts one day. There WILL BE A RECKONING!!

.. yada yada yada...

dubyprime
10-25-2011, 12:01 AM
You may also notice that the Warforged Paladins do not take anarchic damage. They are cheaters and Neutral Evil.

Khellendros13
10-25-2011, 12:14 AM
I guess you could say the Quori influence has made them Neutral, as they do not have full control over their actions? LoB included.

crimsonrazac
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
I guess you could say the Quori influence has made them Neutral, as they do not have full control over their actions? LoB included.

What confuses me about that is: if lob is naturally lawful evil and quori are lawful evil as well, it would stand to reason that the lob would temporarily be driven insane and become chaotic evil or slightly deviate from his normal lawful evil to a different endgame lawful evil

dkyle
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Yeah, his alignment came as a disappointment. I thought he'd be Lawful Evil. My Monk has some Anarchic Burst of Smiting wraps that would have been perfect, along with his Holy Burst ring and adamantine fists.

voodoogroves
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
What confuses me about that is: if lob is naturally lawful evil and quori are lawful evil as well, it would stand to reason that the lob would temporarily be driven insane and become chaotic evil or slightly deviate from his normal lawful evil to a different endgame lawful evil

Insane =/= alignment change.

"I'm an evil bastard who cares only about the WF and their methodical dominance over the other races"

Taken over / driven insane isn't necessarily

"All work and no play make Homer something something ... I see purple bunnies"

It could just as easily subvert his already dominating personality towards another end ...

crimsonrazac
10-25-2011, 12:46 PM
Chaotic evil in the sense that he wants to destroy everything with no endgame

dkyle
10-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Chaotic evil in the sense that he wants to destroy everything with no endgame

That's certainly not true. He wants to establish a free and powerful WF nation. Even when fully possessed by the Quori, he still has goals aside from pure slaughter.

Roguewiz
10-25-2011, 01:10 PM
The Lord of Blades doesn't need an alignment. He is badass without it. However, if he must having one, I dub him: BAMOFO

If you have complaints, take it up with him. He'd gladly explain why. =p