PDA

View Full Version : Feedback - Challenge - Dr. Rushmore's Mansion: Picture Portals

KookieKobold
10-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Dr. Rushmore has altered the Portraits within his Mansion to help his allies escape!

Unfortunately, he did not account for Adventurers using them as well.

Feel free to leave feedback and discuss the Challenge Dr. Rushmore's Mansion: Picture Portals in this thread.

Additionally, Please take the time to fill out this (http://questionpro.com/t/AG2vGZL0f4) survey.

Shade
10-21-2011, 11:41 PM
so um this challenge is unlocked now right

KookieKobold
10-22-2011, 12:15 AM
Correct!
It is open to be played.

Shade
10-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Ran it a few times, lvl20 grp.

First quick set of ratings:
Challenge: 4/10 - No difficulty settings means it's a joke to skilled players to 5 star it and get rediculesly high scores. Especially if ran on a lower CR, which does not impact your ability to get stars.
Loot: 2/10 - Essenitally has no loot. Yea you get some ingredients, and in 1 run you have enough for an item, if not 2 items.. No replay value.
XP: 0/10 - XP is a terrible 100-200 per min like the others, on perfect 5 star run.
Renown: 2/10 - I think i got 10 renown total for like a perfect 5 star run from a random kill
Overall Fun: 7/10 - I like the concept, but it needs improvement to offer replay value.

Favoute challenge of what we have so far. Much more fun to zerg around and collect cool buffs then baby sit a machine.

This one we also did not have the crests issues we had in moving targets and behind the door. Thanks to the teleporters, we were always able to find lots of monsters to kill to get more crests. (they seem to spawn more and more phatasm when you enter em)

We ran on 20 first, and did quite well. But some players were well.. not prepared, so we had some red alert when we got to rushmoor. He had like 90+ AC so I could not hit him effectively. We killed all his elementals extremely fast but it seemed to have no effect, he simply regenerated faster then I could hurt hum. And we fought him a good 3+ min.
Without the red alert we probably woulda had him. Not sure what was up with his healing tho, ahd him at 75%, then he goes back to full and 2+ min of pounding lost.

Also his elementals are VERY buggy:
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9433/earthgrabbed.jpg

Buggy/crazy stuff:
Rushmoor had over 88 Armor class. This is not even on epic. What'e hs have 100+ AC on epic? In a robe?
-- I know dungeon alert is MASSIVELY boosting him.. But what the heck is the deal with that anyways? Why does dungeon alert MASSIVELY cripple melee, but has essentially no effect on favored souls, and limited effect on casters. Really not a fan of the huge AC boost red named get. Illogical and unbalanced.
Fireballs do 7 damage? (I had no fire resist or absorb)
Earthgrab hits me even though I clearly had freedom on?
Icestorms annoying.. and again very low dmg for lvl20
Earth elementals hit 10x as hard as everything else (There like epic, while the rest are like casual, very unbalanced, add in there severe stunning blow, and unstoppable earthgrab.. argh!)

Run 1 score. (http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/3654/scoreufd.jpg)

Run 2 on lvl15:
We utterly crushed it. 5 Stars with 4+ minutes to spare. (http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/264/5starsf.jpg)
Rushmoor was insanely weak compared to lvl20. He died in 2 seconds before I could even get in the room from a couple monk punches. Seems like a scaling issue for him to be so incredibly different for 5 lvls of scaling.

I was exciting to get my first proper 5 stars.. We did complete all objectives, and the stars showed up correctly in the XP report. Yet upon completion, we got nothing special - just rudely kicked out of the ques as always, and only 4 favor - not 5.. ???

Not sure what happened. Maybe the "Do not let enemies go through teleporters" was failed even tho it showed the star just fine? No idea what that one even means anyways. We used some teleporters, and killed all enemies around them, often there were many on the other side, but I dont think they went thru, so much as both sides of the pictures have enemies.. Is the idea to never use teleporters? (That would be annoying, they are fun to use.)

PS: The universal crests found in shortcuts was a nice touch.. Tho I never found any, seem very rare or something. Party members got 1 each.

Suggestions same as other challenges:
Loot: 1 chest for each boss.
XP: 15-20 TIMES, its horrible. Also the XP scaling by level needs to go. If you have any idea how DDO works, youd know XP per minute simply does not go up as you get to higher lvls, it infact tends to go in a sort of bell curve:
~1000-2000 xp per min at lvl1-10
~2000-3000 at lvl11-15 (crazy high thx to shadow crypt, knight, von3, etc)
~back to 1000-2000 at 16-20

A incentive to get 5 stars other then favor: Another chest, or +50% XP would be nice.

So doesn't make sense to give crappy xp on the lower lvl version of these. They are just as difficult as they scale fairly properly far as I can tell. (my lvl4 run seemed about right in challenge, but xp sucked)

PS: Time traveling kobold is awesome, but also bugged: When you talk to him, he seems to really get disinterested and run off, causing the dialog window to quickly close.. Makes it hard to read anything, let alone click options. Please have him stand still while talking.

LeLoric
10-26-2011, 03:45 PM
Ran this agian today to get the last few ingredients to get an item and wow there is some issues with the spawns at portals. By the time i got to the bathroom area just a couple minutes in I was getting 15+ spawns at each picture. DA was off the hook and this became pretty much unplayable please fix this before live or you will have a broken quest.

Claver
10-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I ran this one three times with a 16/2/2 Halfling Finesse Monk/Ftr/Rng and a level 20 FVS hireling. I ran the level 15 instance and failed every time - ran out of time. I never saw a boss.

DUNGEON ALERT: Brutal!!! I was crippled by DA the first few times through. This is necessary I suppose with all the teleporters to keep people from abusing the layout but I worry what will happen with PUGs. Will one reckless player trigger Dungeon Alert for everyone else? If so, this could be one of those quests that no one runs for fear of others screwing it up. Even on my last run where I made a point to kill as I moved along I still had level 4 dungeon alert when I pushed to open just on extra gate to buy 2 more minutes at the end.

It’s harder to evaluate the challenges running solo than quests from other updates. This may play very differently with a full party but from the solo perspective, Dungeon Alert sure seemed harsh. You might want to look at this Turbine.

WORN OUT SEQUEL EFFECT: I can appreciate Turbine is trying to squeeze multiple challenges out of a single idea; My advice – don’t. Unless you have enough twists this dilutes the strength of your original and everything becomes devalued as a result. How different does Behind the Door versus Moving Target versus Picture Portals really feel? It is still the same dungeon setting, the same entry point and direction, the same monsters and mostly the same time limit and zerging. Kobold Chaos versus the Disruptor at least feels different by being a Day versus Night setting with undead.

What is so magic about symmetry? Why do you have to fabricate exactly 5 challenges for each idea. If Rushmore only has two solid good variations make two not five. If Kobold Island only has 3 good variations make 3 not five. By stretching the ideas to different challenges you undermine all five challenges of that set by making them weaker and less distinct. I can only see myself playing one of Behind the Door OR Moving Target OR Picture Portals on any given character but certainly not all three. Now if Moving Targets and Picture Portals were combined into a hide and seek (and maybe portions of the mansion flooded with water) perhaps that would be different enough to feel like a different environment and make me want to play it as well.

VERSIMILITUDE, VERSIMILITUDE, VERSIMILITUDE: Where is the story? For me, that is a cornerstone of why I play DDO. I can’t just endlessly kill monsters in the wilderness for no imagined reason. I know it’s arbitrary, but running through a maze getting quad damage power ups from smashed boxes takes me out of the fantasy of being in another world and makes me feel silly like I’m playing a pac-man video game. I need that little bit of back story for suspension of disbelief. It’s like watching a science fiction movie – I can accept phasers and aliens and light speed but when the writers do something stupid, like have the astronauts go on a space walk with no helmet in a vacuum, it ruins the rest of the experience for me. I can extract crystals, zerg through halls, and kill zombies all day provided I have a reason but with no story, my suspension of disbelief has been violated – it makes it hard to enjoy.

Be careful of this, Story & DM Narration may seem like a small thing, yet if it is pushed aside to make room for Angry Birds Challenge etc., I can’t see myself staying.

MrkGrismer
10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Earthgrab hits me even though I clearly had freedom on?

I suspect by now you already know that they have changed it so FoM no longer works against Earthgrab, nor are WF immune any longer.

PS: Time traveling kobold is awesome, but also bugged: When you talk to him, he seems to really get disinterested and run off, causing the dialog window to quickly close.. Makes it hard to read anything, let alone click options. Please have him stand still while talking.

The Mayor in Korthos does this also, it is especially annoying when you are trying to pick out the quest end reward and the window closes because the mayor gets 'bored' and walks away.

brian14
11-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I suspect by now you already know that they have changed it so FoM no longer works against Earthgrab, nor are WF immune any longer.

Since when? Is that part of U12?

The Mayor in Korthos does this also, it is especially annoying when you are trying to pick out the quest end reward and the window closes because the mayor gets 'bored' and walks away.
Also the wench in Harbor who collects mushrooms... assuming anyone actually still brings her mushrooms!

verad
12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Hi ran this a few times with my level 20 with epic sos.
Failed a buncha times due to not being able to find the right crest.(awesomness to randomness)
The powerups are generally useless i get a speed boost or a quad damage when no mobs around or when i am surrounded by mobs i am boostless. (fix allowing collecting of orbs in inventory and then being able to click activate them.)
I ran this on level 18 as a epic geared 20 pal with self healing and i spend a brutal time of just trying to kill some of the monsters due to their high hp. (good thing i am not an average character with average gear thats level 18)
Everytime i encounter an airelemental i auto die. I am on the ground and it is still flinging me around while on the ground. I have trained levels of balance. When dealing with the boss and his elementals that spawn at a crazy rate that do serious damage to me i barely even have a chance at keeping myself alive. Casters seem super buffed and use spells that slow you down. (which sucks more ina timed adventure)
I read a post there is a trick to kill the bosses. Yes surprising no one has figured it out yet. (more surprising would be even if it works and is play tested.) (my surprise would be the last time a game developer played the game and fought an air elemental as a melee class.) Has this challenge been made FVS/caster only or is it melee friendly?
Added: used a teleporter with no monsters around.....get a failed message.....4 monsters appear through the teleporter? what the hell?