PDA

View Full Version : Challenge feedback! :D

Fecerak
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Figured I should start a thread about this since there is none. Did the kobold level 4 challenge thingy, and it was very fun. Didn't have time for more, but it seems like these challenges will be varied, exciting and unique, and fits to all levels. That is all awesome. However, I have one thing to complain about (other than bugs, and not fully developed stuff or string table errors instead of names on minimap, etc.) which is xp. I spent 15 minutes in level 4 kobold island for a total of 600 XP. If you are going to give any xp at all I feel like it at least should be in the 200 xp/min range, probably closer to 500, even. Right now it seems to be 40 xp/min at level 4 tops (excluding optionals, but unless those give insanely much xp, which I kinda doubt they do then they aren't really making a big enough difference for the xp to be even close to where it should be). I mean, they are probably the worst xp/min quests in the entire game (sorry coyle, you lost your glory).

tl;dr Really fun, but xp is horrible.

zebidos
10-19-2011, 05:06 PM
Figured I should start a thread about this since there is none. Did the kobold level 4 challenge thingy, and it was very fun. Didn't have time for more, but it seems like these challenges will be varied, exciting and unique, and fits to all levels. That is all awesome. However, I have one thing to complain about (other than bugs, and not fully developed stuff or string table errors instead of names on minimap, etc.) which is xp. I spent 15 minutes in level 4 kobold island for a total of 600 XP. If you are going to give any xp at all I feel like it at least should be in the 200 xp/min range, probably closer to 500, even. Right now it seems to be 40 xp/min at level 4 tops (excluding optionals, but unless those give insanely much xp, which I kinda doubt they do then they aren't really making a big enough difference for the xp to be even close to where it should be). I mean, they are probably the worst xp/min quests in the entire game (sorry coyle, you lost your glory).

Have these challenges got a XP penality when you re-do them? If not the low XP might be the reason why.

Lithic
10-19-2011, 05:23 PM

If the new ones are like the cove, then the devs ramp up the XP based on the challenge level you choose. Which is unfortuante because it means it is poor xp/min at cap, and EXTREMELY poor xp/min at low levels. Since the time it takes is a constant for timed quests, it should give the same exp at all levels. And the exp given should be at least 500/min for sure.

MadFloyd
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Have these challenges got a XP penality when you re-do them? If not the low XP might be the reason why.

Yes, that is the case. Additional XP is earned by achieving Star objectives.

NXPlasmid
10-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Challenges? Really? Game crushing lag and we get challenges. New damage profiles that pretty much kill epic pugs and we get challenges. Nice to see Turbine has it's priorities set properly. T

sirgog
10-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Yes, that is the case. Additional XP is earned by achieving Star objectives.

What is your intended XP/minute for flawlessly executed speedruns of slightly overlevel challenges?

Shade
10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
What is your intended XP/minute for flawlessly executed speedruns of slightly overlevel challenges?

heh.

I don't think the devs can give you such a figure yet even if they wanted to.

what exactly qualifies as "flawlessly" executed is not something the devs will be aware of just yet.

Least not tell I or others show them those.

They have play testers. They aren't people that play DDO enough to be "good" at it, as for them - its a job, not a hobby. So balancing against that is difficult. They need our feedback for such small tweaks.

I'll be on tommorow to crush these and report on that.

SirShen
10-20-2011, 05:44 AM
Love the challenges but yes the xp is just rubbish and at the moment the trade box dosent work. I have the tokens needed, click trade and then get item not found and thats with all the items i have the tokens for.

teapotdome
10-20-2011, 01:06 PM
Challenges? Really? Game crushing lag and we get challenges. New damage profiles that pretty much kill epic pugs and we get challenges. Nice to see Turbine has it's priorities set properly. T

i prefer both of these to be true. give experienced players a greater challenge on epic. it isnt supposed to be casual. let the casual players go do challenges. gives veterans the challenging experience they ask for (but whine about) and give others somewhere to go when they realize they arent epic ready. go learn elsewhere. as for the lag, i see it but i dont experience it. just the zone in crashes. grrrr.

NXPlasmid
10-20-2011, 04:13 PM
i prefer both of these to be true. give experienced players a greater challenge on epic. it isnt supposed to be casual. let the casual players go do challenges. gives veterans the challenging experience they ask for (but whine about) and give others somewhere to go when they realize they arent epic ready. go learn elsewhere. as for the lag, i see it but i dont experience it. just the zone in crashes. grrrr.

Well, I haven't been on lamania but I see challenges as the opposite of content coupled with yet another crafting/grinding game thingie like the cove and mabar. Maybe I'm just overly cynical but in the last week I have been in back-to-back failed epic DQ runs and back-to-back failed Tower runs in excellent groups caused soley by lag and yet Turbine is gonna open the massive lag generating Mabar event, unchanged from last year no less... And did I mention the, yet another crafting system complete with it's own collection of collectable ingredients... I don't see how one can do them without having to buy collectable bags from the store. Good for revenues I guess...

Shade
10-20-2011, 06:00 PM
did a flawless 5 star run of the lvl15 one (chaos)

488 xp, 15min

=32 xp a min. mmm?

lol. Well it was -75% due to us being 20 (15 is max available)

So if we were lvl15 max:
1950 base xp.
= 130 xp a min. WOOTY WOOT!

well actaully it was 4 star due to a bug.. So maybe u can get ~140 xp a min if ur really uber and the bugs fixed.

pic:
http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/7564/5starb.jpg

yea the XP is hilariously low.

Also would be nice if the score = XP bonus. EG: Simply 1 more xp point per score.

They should just go nuts and make it give 2000 a min with 5 star, then nerf it later. I mean let us have our fun when its new and exciting for once. Lately all new contents XP has been suck. Quests that are 2-4 years old then to be the best XP to date, just gets old.

Ryiah
10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Lately all new contents XP has been suck. Quests that are 2-4 years old then to be the best XP to date, just gets old.

It does get old very fast. Something tells me Turbine will fix this in the future though - by nerfing the old quests. :rolleyes:

Xionanx
10-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Over the course of the last day I went from finding the new quests interesting, to now finding them to be bordering on garbage.

XP is horrible, some of the worst XP in the entirety of DDO
Is too easy to get "Score" for the tokens
The tokens only stack to 1000 and take up yet even MORE inventory spaces
Tokens are bound to character not account

I cant see anyone being willing to run these again after they get the tokens they need to get their items. Seriously, people have a hard time running SoS because once people get their runes they never want to do it again, but at least SoS DROPS LOOT and HAS DECENT XP. These quests need:

More XP
Random Loot Chests
Some kind of additional incentive to play them, because as they are now I highly doubt I'll buy or recommend anyone buy this content pack, especially since you can do them for "free" 5x a day. I cant foresee anyone NEEDING to do them more then that. I was able to secure a score of 2278 Solo in Kobold Choas level 4, which netted me 2278 Crude Talismans. With a price of only 400 talismans for each of the items that ONE RUN got me enough talismans for 5 items. A "Patient" person could have all the tokens they could ever need in about a week and then never do these quests again.

Who knows, it may be better balanced at the "Epic" level then it is a lower levels, I'll give a few days to see what some of the epic runners say.

Shade
10-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Who knows, it may be better balanced at the "Epic" level then it is a lower levels, I'll give a few days to see what some of the epic runners say.

then lvl 20 "epic' items dont even seem to require you to run anything epic.

And yea, the droprates the same in the lvl20 version of kobold island, so I have like 5000 necrotic whatchamacallits.. (lvl20 version)

In the rush one we didnt get **** as we failed. bad luck on finding the crests or something.

Annoyingly, the one that u got 2000+ crude from, we got 200 from - for an awesome run were we got 5 stars.. Seems the stars take away from ur score potentialy tho, we coulda got 3k prolly, tho taht sitll would of only meant ~300. Bit annoying to encourage us to play lowbies... But i guess/hope they are only used for lowbie items anyways.

But atm we cant even make anything anyways..
as
A) Barter ui is broken entirely, or at least mostly
B) Most items need 2-3 ingrd, and the 2ndary parts generally drop in the challenges which are currently locked.

Xionanx
10-20-2011, 07:39 PM
I just made a video of me running Kobold Choas and not even really trying, **** gear, no haste, no hirelings, not even my pet out. Final score was like 1200 with 3 stars. I "could" have easily gotten 4 stars on it but I cant jump high enough to get that totem on the rock (I've tried). Anyway, uploading. Will post link later so you guys can see what I'm doing and how brainlessly easy it is at low level.

Ziindarax
10-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Over the course of the last day I went from finding the new quests interesting, to now finding them to be bordering on garbage.

XP is horrible, some of the worst XP in the entirety of DDO
Is too easy to get "Score" for the tokens
The tokens only stack to 1000 and take up yet even MORE inventory spaces
Tokens are bound to character not account

I cant see anyone being willing to run these again after they get the tokens they need to get their items. Seriously, people have a hard time running SoS because once people get their runes they never want to do it again, but at least SoS DROPS LOOT and HAS DECENT XP. These quests need:

More XP
Random Loot Chests
Some kind of additional incentive to play them, because as they are now I highly doubt I'll buy or recommend anyone buy this content pack, especially since you can do them for "free" 5x a day. I cant foresee anyone NEEDING to do them more then that. I was able to secure a score of 2278 Solo in Kobold Choas level 4, which netted me 2278 Crude Talismans. With a price of only 400 talismans for each of the items that ONE RUN got me enough talismans for 5 items. A "Patient" person could have all the tokens they could ever need in about a week and then never do these quests again.

You have a point. I am thinking the devs will most likely either nerf the loot for the effort required, make the items require more ingredients, make the mobs tougher, or all of these. >.>

I cannot speak from experience because I have yet to re-download the lamma client. Once I have it re-installed, I will try these challenges.

teapotdome
10-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Well, I haven't been on lamania but I see challenges as the opposite of content coupled with yet another crafting/grinding game thingie like the cove and mabar. Maybe I'm just overly cynical but in the last week I have been in back-to-back failed epic DQ runs and back-to-back failed Tower runs in excellent groups caused soley by lag and yet Turbine is gonna open the massive lag generating Mabar event, unchanged from last year no less... And did I mention the, yet another crafting system complete with it's own collection of collectable ingredients... I don't see how one can do them without having to buy collectable bags from the store. Good for revenues I guess...

sounds like the reason for the fail was lag, not the new damage profiles you cited above.

NXPlasmid
10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
sounds like the reason for the fail was lag, not the new damage profiles you cited above.

In the case of eDQ it was a combination of both. We were using the ball method 3 healers. Queen would come in, melee, then about 1-2sec pause followed by what sounded like 10 or more arrow attacks in about half a second. this usually resulted in a death or two, we survived in both attempts probably 4 of these spikes, ressed the dead and kept going only to have the lag spike wipe the party, as in simultaniously kill everyone in the ball. In the past, those spikes would never kill everyone in the ball. just sayin. and with the increased HP of the queen or dragon it takes longer to take them down, increasing the number of lag spikes that have to be survived... T

teapotdome
10-21-2011, 02:33 PM
In the case of eDQ it was a combination of both. We were using the ball method 3 healers. Queen would come in, melee, then about 1-2sec pause followed by what sounded like 10 or more arrow attacks in about half a second. this usually resulted in a death or two, we survived in both attempts probably 4 of these spikes, ressed the dead and kept going only to have the lag spike wipe the party, as in simultaniously kill everyone in the ball. In the past, those spikes would never kill everyone in the ball. just sayin. and with the increased HP of the queen or dragon it takes longer to take them down, increasing the number of lag spikes that have to be survived... T

thats fair. but i dont think the epic changes in and of themselves are the most pressing issue. but the content devs are likely not the ones stalking the lag. so this is what they made us. i think it fills a role.