PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Challenge...

goodoldxelos
10-08-2011, 04:33 PM
So the idea is a guild or player can create a dungeon (unsure exactly how this would work). Using Plat and turbine points that creator can fill it with monsters and traps. After the dungeon is created they place loot inside the end chest (planar gird, bloodstone, epic scrolls etc). When a player selects that specific dungeon they can see what drops inside that chest at the end.

Though in order to enter the dungeon the group would need to pay a fee to the creator to enter (the fee would be set by the creator). So if the group of players felt that the fee was too high to warrant the item(s) people simply wouldn't enter it.

Finally, depending upon the CR/level of the monsters that are placed inside the dungeon that corresponds to max group size and level they can bring.

Monsters of higher level and more skills/feats cost more plat.

Take an example of creating a boss monster, (number are all just made up); so say I want the boss to be a Warforged (e.g. 1000plat for level 1 Warforged). Now the boss i want to be level 20 so that increases the cost by say x20, so he is now 20000. And i can add a number of feats to him and special abilities (perma trueseeing) for a certain cost. Say after adding all the feats/enhancements (e.g haste boost 4, toughness) let say he's now 100000plat. Then I can take gear and give him it to him, assume only unbound gear (if you wanted to do even bound gear i think this would be very interesting but i could hear complaining about people making epic sos's to put on monsters). So finally i give him, two force burst adamantine kopeshes i could find, a DOD and some other random gear. Then i wanna make him red named so he has some of the special immunities so say this cost some increase to the plat value again putting it very high and/or some turbine point value (obviously put a limit to this, e.g only 1 mob in the dungeon can be red named and only 5% can be orange).

Any thoughts?

cdemeritt
10-08-2011, 04:45 PM
this has been brought up many, many times... Even by The Executive Producer (sort of)....

Results almost always the same. Players make it, they will break it...

I'm personally for it on 2 conditions.1: XP is standardized by a simple formula: Length of quest X Lvl of quest X CR of mobs in quest X yada... 2: loot is plain loot table with no names items, standardized to quest level.

I.E. Basic box... Plug the Level of quest in when you start, The quest has to be X length but no more than X, Contain Y number of mobs (type based on level Dungeon), and all in all a very simple design, with Dev Review before implementing...

But be ready for the long line of /Not signeds that are coming...

goodoldxelos
10-08-2011, 04:52 PM
this has been brought up many, many times... Even by The Executive Producer (sort of)....

I'm personally for it on 2 conditions.1: XP is standardized by a simple formula: Length of quest X Lvl of quest X CR of mobs in quest X yada... 2: loot is plain loot table with no names items, standardized to quest level.

I.E. Basic box... Plug the Level of quest in when you start, The quest has to be X length but no more than X, Contain Y number of mobs (type based on level Dungeon), and all in all a very simple design, with Dev Review before implementing...

I'm for no XP, loot is strictly drawn upon the creator, if i put a planar gird in the chest you can see that. There is no loot table, adventurers see everything they will get if they can get through it. MAX character level would standardized to the highest monster you put in or you could do average of all monster levels with max level being 20.

DMCain
10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Would MUCH rather have a random dungeon generator created and implemented in DDO before I let players create anything.

/not signed

helicalius
10-08-2011, 05:05 PM
/signed very nice thinking, im for the idea in general, but much can be improved. I also support the idea because i think ddo has enogh bad, boring dungeons and could use some extra motivation. like the last crafting system they implemented right into our loot system, its nice but only possible because its already in our chests. i dont think anyone will create maps in order to hand people named items, and anyway it would be a rare encounter so the devs will work a long time to do something that maybe we will engage in once per tr life. soo, basically the idea as you suggest it is not realistic. I think you need to improve your idea by giving players incentive to produce maps. and i think to produce maps should be similar to production of airships, meaning: choosing amneties on premade developers maps that we as a guild can buy and supply it with all sorts of stuff, in the end all you missing is an incentive to run these player made dungeons, and that can very with xp or some new type off loot that they come up with. also see my thread on the subject for further concern.

Musouka
10-08-2011, 07:25 PM

I can easily see this being exploited to favor the player though. Place some high CR mobs, but give them **** weapons or have them only know **** spells. Then add numerous amounts of enemies with low health so it does take a long time to complete, even though these mobs are just 1 hit and have low to-hit that they cannot even hit a wizard with 16 AC.

What do you get, a simple way to farm XP.

/not signed

Symar-FangofLloth
10-08-2011, 07:31 PM
I can easily see this being exploited to favor the player though. Place some high CR mobs, but give them **** weapons or have them only know **** spells. Then add numerous amounts of enemies with low health so it does take a long time to complete, even though these mobs are just 1 hit and have low to-hit that they cannot even hit a wizard with 16 AC.

/not signed

This is exactly what happens in City of Heroes. Then a couple weeks that mob gets patched, and a couple weeks later, the players discover a new way to do it.

cdemeritt
10-08-2011, 07:46 PM

/not signed

But you are assuming The person creating the dungeon would have that access... Kobold Shaman of the Level 2 quests have the same spell list. User created dungeons would not change what the mobs stats or spells or even CR... If I select to make a Level 2 quest, I would only be allowed to put Existing mobs with existing abilities in spots, and set patrols... So No I wouldn't be able to take Elite orthons and put them in a lvl 2 quest with handwraps only... Granted a person could create a dungeon where all the mobs are behind locked doors, and all you would need to do is run a hallway to the end, but that's where having a Live person from Turbine to review it before it goes anywhere would 1000% be needed...

Lagin
10-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Would MUCH rather have a random dungeon generator created and implemented in DDO before I let players create anything.

/not signed

This is exactly what happens in City of Heroes. Then a couple weeks that mob gets patched, and a couple weeks later, the players discover a new way to do it.

Man !!! :cool:

This a complicated issue.

Really.

I've been DM'ing & into game design for a while, (still a nub) :eek:

And have been giving this potential feature of the game a real serious look at.

I do have a viable plan Turbine could not only utilize, but, have a "relatively" fun & easy time doing so.

I'm going to post my idea in the morning. Going in-game right now !!

The first line of the thread will be a link to this one.