PDA

View Full Version : Past Life: Arcane Prodigy/Arcane Initiate review post Berserker's Fury update

Ashbinder
09-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Currently Past Life: Berserker's Fury meets the prerequisites to access class and racial toughness enhancements.

Please allow Past Life: Arcane Prodigy grant access to prerequisites requiring Mental Toughness, which this feat mimics. Possibly review making this feat grant 100 spell points immediately upon selection, similar to Berserker's Fury granting a static 20 hit points.

Please allow Past Life: Arcane Initiate grant access to prerequisites requiring a Spell Focus feat, which this feat mimics.

jcTharin
09-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Please allow Past Life: Arcane Initiate grant access to prerequisites requiring a Spell Focus feat, which this feat mimics.

This is probably already the most powerful past life feat in the game and does not need any kind of upgrade.

However the sorcerer past life feat was said that it was supposed to be "mental toughness + some" so yes, it really should fill requirements for things.

gerardIII
09-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Please allow Past Life: Arcane Prodigy grant access to prerequisites requiring Mental Toughness, which this feat mimics.

They should finish what they started: it can replace Mental Toughness for AA PrE.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Archer_enhancements

It seems indeed natural.

This is probably already the most powerful past life feat in the game and does not need any kind of upgrade.
It doesn't make sense to have so much redundancy between the normal feats and Past Life feats.
This one feat 'includes' all Spell focus feats, it should be able to replace any of them as for feat and enhancement requirements, like the Barbarian one does for Toughness.

Requiro
09-27-2011, 01:06 AM
Please allow Past Life: Arcane Prodigy grant access to prerequisites requiring Mental Toughness, which this feat mimics. Possibly review making this feat grant 100 spell points immediately upon selection, similar to Berserker's Fury granting a static 20 hit points.

Yes

No

jaegarnel
09-27-2011, 01:13 AM
Allowing the sorc past life feat to be used as mental toughness is a good idea.

OTOH, allowing the wizard past life feat to be used as a spell focus is not, both lore-wise (the feat makes you a better caster, but it doesn't mean you've studied a specific school more in-depth liek a spell focus feat) and balance-wise (this feat is probably the most powerful for any caster, it doesn't need any boosts).

oradafu
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Since Barbarian Past Life: Berserker's Fury now gives players access to Toughness enhancements, I think it's only proper that Sorcerer Past Life: Arcane Prodigy as a replacement for Mental Toughness. Arcane Prodigy is to Mental Toughness as Berserker's Fury is to Toughness. Both cost a purchasable feat slot, so it's a wash when it comes to feat costs. Currently the only stumbling block I see preventing this from happening is the wording of the requirements of the Archmage prestige class.

As an aside, the Palemaster enhancement requirements for Shroud of the Vampire and Shroud of the Lich should allow Barserker's Fury instead of Toughness and for Shroud of the Wraith should allow Arcane Prodigy instead of Mental Toughness.

I agree with others that the Wizard Past Life: Arcane Initiate should not be allowed as a replacement for Spell Focus, since all examples of the Spell Focus that are needed require a particular school. I'd also argue against using the Past Life: Favored Soul and Past Life: Wizard as substitutions for Spell Penetration since that would make an even larger power creep for casters since it frees up a feat slot without using a feat slot, something that neither Berserker Fury nor Arcane Prodigy do.

As another aside, I could see some of the Past life feats being used in Bonus feats. Rogue Past Life: Sneak of Shadows could be a choice in the Rogue optional abilities. Monk Past Life: Disciple of the Fist could be a choice in Martial arts feats; and I can even see Barbarian Past Life: Berserker's Fury added as a choice since Toughness is on the feat list. Fighter Past Life: Student of the Sword could be a choice in the Fighter Bonus Feats. Sorcerer Past Life: Arcane Prodigy and Wizard Past Life: Arcane Initiate could be a choice in the Wizard Bonus feats. Artificer Past Life: Student of Artificer could be a choice in the Artificer Bonus Feats.

Jay203
09-30-2011, 05:29 PM

um... what?
taking one past life feat to unlock basically ALL the possible paths for the entire Archmage line? o_O;;;

no thx~

furbyoats
09-30-2011, 05:35 PM
The sorc past life should replace a mental toughness. It would be nice if it also included a +1 evocation boost to free up a sorc feat (I know, the past life already grants the evo boost so it would possibly be considered OP but hey, I can dream)