PDA

View Full Version : Permadeath Character Slot

StringTheory
09-24-2011, 03:38 AM
I think it would be interesting to have a separate character slot reserved for creating a permadeath character. This character would have an identifying symbol in their name display like how TR's do. If a permadeath character dies, the player would have the option of converting the character to a regular character slot.
There are already permadeath players out there but this would be a character slot that enforces the permadeath rules. This would create a new challenge/accomplishment in playstyle for players who may have already TR'ed multiple times.

There are many different styles of permadeath play out there but some basic concepts could be:
1. This character cannot be raised from the dead.
2. This character does not have access to ressurection shrines, only rest shrines
3. Upon creating the character the player has options:
Access to Vendors- Yes/No
Access to Auction House - Yes/No
Access to Trade Window/Shared Bank slots - Yes/No

This creates different levels of difficulty. The more restrictive rules the character chooses, the better loot drops and XP awards they receive in quests.

Anyway, there is a lot of room for creativity here that I think opens up a lot of possibilities. Just food for thought.

Templarion
09-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Yeah. This idea needs to be suggested every now and then. Did myself so about a year ago.

/signed

I hope they realize that we want the hardcore mode at least when Diablo 3 comes out. ;)

MalkavianX
09-24-2011, 03:51 AM
I like this idea fine. I would just make one change. If your character dies, that's it. He/she's dead. It's really real, there ain't no coming back. All the items in his/her inventory - gone. Everything he/she's wearing - gone. Everything he left in his/her bank - siezed by house K. Everything in he/she put in the shared bank however is open game to your other characters.

Other than that small change.....

/signed

Elibolas
09-24-2011, 04:12 AM
"I like this idea fine. I would just make one change. If your character dies, that's it. He/she's dead. It's really real, there ain't no coming back. All the items in his/her inventory - gone. Everything he/she's wearing - gone. Everything he left in his/her bank - siezed by house K. Everything in he/she put in the shared bank however is open game to your other characters."

/absolutely signed

Quarterling
09-24-2011, 05:02 AM
I'm starting to get bored with DDO, so this would be a welcome change.

/signed

Recared
09-24-2011, 05:16 AM
/signed. This idea would make the game more fun and interesting. win/win.

TekkenDevil
09-24-2011, 05:43 AM
We need this.
Make it happen.

Pro gamers would never whine about difficulty again.

Zachski
09-24-2011, 05:45 AM
I'm ok with this :-)

mobrien316
09-24-2011, 06:07 AM
I like this idea fine. I would just make one change. If your character dies, that's it. He/she's dead. It's really real, there ain't no coming back. All the items in his/her inventory - gone. Everything he/she's wearing - gone. Everything he left in his/her bank - siezed by house K. Everything in he/she put in the shared bank however is open game to your other characters.

/signed

This.

It's not permadeath if you can get killed and just keep playing the same character.

A "'hardcore" option would be interesting, but with a D&D flavor. At character creation, you could choose "Hardcore". This means you could be raised and resurrected as usual, but each time you do you permanently lose one point of Constitution. That would make death a significant event but still retain the D&D philosophy that death can be only a temporary setback. Just don't die too many times or you'll turn into a hopeless character.

DawnofEntropy
09-24-2011, 02:54 PM
/signed

However resurrection should still be allowed. Honestly it's dnd, resurrection through clerics is used even in pnp.

Templarion
09-28-2011, 03:54 AM
/signed

However resurrection should still be allowed. Honestly it's dnd, resurrection through clerics is used even in pnp.

I wouldn't care anykind of resurrection. Of course, with this is always better than without but...

If they decided to create PD/Hardcore mode it would be for challenge. Resurrection (anykind) simply makes game easier and would be against the idea why to create it in the first place.

AmatsukaIncarnate
09-28-2011, 04:16 AM
This.

It's not permadeath if you can get killed and just keep playing the same character.

A "'hardcore" option would be interesting, but with a D&D flavor. At character creation, you could choose "Hardcore". This means you could be raised and resurrected as usual, but each time you do you permanently lose one point of Constitution. That would make death a significant event but still retain the D&D philosophy that death can be only a temporary setback. Just don't die too many times or you'll turn into a hopeless character.

Not to mention XP loss!

This would certainly end up being quite an interesting feature if they add this...!

Airgeadlam
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
While I would not play under some of the "rules" expresed.. I think more options while no harming other people is always and improvement, so:

/Signed

DrakeD77a
09-28-2011, 02:24 PM
I might not like some of the things of this permadeath i also think more options is always welcome and hey challenge is good.

Kenpai
09-28-2011, 02:36 PM
I see 2 options for Turbine: Convert an existing character slot to a PD exclusive slot (lowering "real" character slots to 1, 3 and 9 for free, premium and VIPs respectively), or to make a PD exclusive slot purchasable in the ddostore. (Let's face it, Turbine will not add another character slot for free, even if it is a PD slot)
If the former happens, pretty much every F2P/Premium/VIP player who plays more than 1/3/9 characters will be outraged for not being able to die on one specific character without losing everything. If the latter happens, almost nobody would buy it because there are already character slots for sale in the store which don't auto-delete your character at -10 hp.

If you want a PD character, buy another normal character slot, enter 'Permadeath' for your character's last name and follow PD rules. Special character slots should not be implemented just so people can play the same way that they could without those slots.

I'm not even going to go into how long and buggy it would be to code it.
/not signed

Heklen
09-28-2011, 06:55 PM
I think this is a great idea. It would force player to think about the play style.

/Signed.

Do you think it would still work if you made it revert character back to lvl 1 + loss of current gear? This would leave banks and mail boxes available. I think it would be hard for players to think about what they held in their bank. People would be constantly muling to get the value able items off the PD toon.

Cheers,

smeggy1384
09-28-2011, 07:16 PM
I think this is a great idea. It would force player to think about the play style.

/Signed.

Do you think it would still work if you made it revert character back to lvl 1 + loss of current gear? This would leave banks and mail boxes available. I think it would be hard for players to think about what they held in their bank. People would be constantly muling to get the value able items off the PD toon.

Cheers,

Have to lose tomes too, otherwise its an easy way to rebuild a character you used tomes on.

If its going to be a character slot for permadeath it needs to be unlocked somehow. Favor or a specific level. You don't want this being put in, bunch of new players seeing a new slot, shifting gear over then dieing, losing all of the items then flooding forums/bug reports.

Add a flag for permadeath only groups, or allow the leader to mix in normal chars. If i am playing a normal mode barb and want to charge through some traps(may never happen, but imagine a low spot permadeath char and they decide to randomize trap locations..) with a group following me (or could apply to folks having fun with grease near lava and such...) no reason to punish others.

On permadeath char deaths make it permanent, these are people going for a bigger challenge. Also give them several ways to recover gear. Option #1: The character dies, it gets buried along with their items. Any other character on the account can loot the grave, have a chance to recover some of the gear, maybe all.. but also a chance to be thrown into a very tough battle with some sort of guards for the graveyard(maybe the ghost of the dead character?). Option #2: Offer some plat to recover a random item (or several), but has to be next of kin(on the same account). Option #3: Hire a shady character to break into the graveyard recover the lost items for you, what could possibly go wrong?

Quetzacoala
09-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Unfortunately, this makes way too much sense to ever be implemented

Junk
09-28-2011, 07:43 PM
plus they would make it to easy somehow, but lets hope.

Templarion
09-29-2011, 07:29 AM
If I remember correctly there are different kind of titles in LOTRO and you can choose to use them if you fill the conditions,
(example: Templarion has killed 15 pigs ==> Templarion "the Pig-Farmer").

One of the titles can be used only if the player has not died. If he ever dies, he simply cannot use the title anymore.

Even a simple mechanic like this would satisfy many hardcore fans. Somekind of little mark floating above your name which you lose if you ever die.

FranOhmsford
09-29-2011, 07:43 AM
I do not play Permadeath - Too easy to die in this game compared to PnP.

Sorry if this next statement is wrong but:

From what I've read on these forums I haven't seen a single post implying that any Permadeath Guild in the game enforces 1 death that's it - What makes you think Turbine would enforce a rule that the Permadeath Guild's do not?

D&D has always allowed resurrections up to a number of times based on your initial {base} Con.

{Base} Con - No Lvl ups, No items, No tomes.

Raise Dead = 6th lvl Elf Cleric/FS of the Undying Court, 9th lvl Cleric, 10th lvl FS.

What happens when Shroud kills everyone in the party btw? Under your suggestion the game would autolog every Permadeath character instantly.

MalkavianX
09-29-2011, 02:13 PM

/signed

I'd like to add a thing or 2 to my previous post.

I was just doing some reading on the hardcore mode in Diablo 2 and I saw this in the wiki:

Players can also create a hardcore character. In softcore, the player can resurrect their character if killed and resume playing, while a hardcore character has only one life. If killed, the character is permanently dead and unplayable, and all items and equipment on that character will be lost unless another friendly character has the "loot" icon checked.

It's pretty much what I said except for that last part, which wouldn't be that bad for DDO. Add in the favor unlock and/or the DDO store idea and you've got something. Then I saw this on a wiki for D3:

How HC chars will differ isn't yet known, but the D3 Team has repeatedly said they'll be set apart from regular characters in some obvious fashion.

Will hardcore characters be more powerful than normal? --Spectrusv
No intent, no. But they’ll definitely have more prestige and flashy things to show off for being so awesome. --Diablo

This would make a lot of people earn/buy this. Not me, but a lot of other people definately would. Go go epeen! :D

Battery
09-29-2011, 02:17 PM
/signed

you die you go straight to character creation screen

Templarion
10-06-2011, 08:33 AM
I do not play Permadeath - Too easy to die in this game compared to PnP.
It is easy to die in Nethack, too. Even more easy there than in DDO. Still, I love Nethack.

Some people love the danger and the fear of losing something. There are not many games that include those subjects.

Just bumping this thread a little before it gets too old. :)

wax_on_wax_off
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
My vote is still for an extreme difficulty server (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=339604).

Simply put, it isn't enough to have a single feature like PD as well any PD player knows. You also need limitations on what quests you can do, how many times you repeat quests so on and so forth.

For this reason, I think that the best solution is to have an entire new server which caters to a wide range of niche players:
1. PD players.
2. Hardcore players.
3. PVP players (both individual and guild based).
4. Monty Haul haters.
5. Role players.

Throw them all together and see the chaos that ensues in the most dark and terrifying incarnation of DDO imaginable where even the act of going to a vendor might need to be done in a guild group to protect against possible aggressors.

sheepface
10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
If a permadeath character dies, the player would have the option of converting the character to a regular character slot.

Doesn't this kinda go againt the point of perma-death?

JOTMON
10-06-2011, 09:12 AM
I like it.

Galeria
10-06-2011, 09:15 AM
/signed

It's totally optional and gives people a different way to play.

How long before we have rants from PD about griefers or PVP? ;-)