PDA

View Full Version : Just make Event items BTCoE

Xenostrata
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
Really. The ingredients of the items are all BTA/unbound anyway, and it's a much more forgiving way to eliminate excessive twinking.

Either this or allow a Barter Box to remain in the Harbor year round, so that when we finally do create the character we want to use an item we can simply trade in the already-farmed ingredients then.

nolaureltree000
09-23-2011, 07:03 PM
no thank you, there is already more than enough grinding to go around.

Xenostrata
09-23-2011, 07:09 PM
no thank you, there is already more than enough grinding to go around.

How does making things BTCoE increase grinding?

Don1966
09-23-2011, 07:28 PM
/signed

DragonTroy
09-23-2011, 07:29 PM
great idea

/signed, +1

theodin
09-23-2011, 07:29 PM
/signed

Kil

voodoogroves
09-23-2011, 07:32 PM
Heh I just posted the same thing in Major's thread.

BTA on Acquire, BTC on Equip would save the hassle.

Vydara
09-23-2011, 07:42 PM
/signed

oberon131313
09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
no thanks, that would bind the tier3 items I already have crafted. What they are doing is fine. BTA for base item, BTC on upgrade.

LrdSlvrhnd
09-23-2011, 07:49 PM
How does making things BTCoE increase grinding?

Well, I'd have to make an item for character A. Then I'd have to make the same item for character B. Then i'd have to make the SAME item again for character C. Making it BTA like the Cove originally was (and like it sounds like it should be) means I have to make an item for character A... then toss it in the shared bank when I want to play character B... then back in the shared bank when I want to go back to A... and then back in the shared bank when I level up character C to where he could use it...

More trips to the bank, yes, but a LOT less grinding.

EDIT: Well, hell, I just read Major Maphunktion's notes... BTC on upgrade? That's annoying... I love the Cove items because they're BTA! "BTC on Upgrade" means I can't make something for the character I'm thinking about making but haven't mentally worked out the details yet! Same reason I don't have Mabar wraps or cloaks for my monk... I wasn't ready to make one yet, and it was BTC. This is beyond rather annoying. I probably WOULD have crafted a few levels of the different armors and weapons to play with... but now I'm not gonna bother. I'm going to be too busy making BTC gear for all my CURRENT characters, whether or not they can use 'em. This freakin' SUCKS.

JOTMON
09-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Changing items to be BTC wipes out any interest in creating anything for me from this event.

With all the TR' lives and character changes that are going on event items were useful transient items until i got the items i was looking for.

Crafting these items for upcoming toons was usefull so they could use them as they levelled, and swapping them around was the part that made it worth running for.

Make the bound to Character upon being made epic on equip would be more helpful.

Finding out in advance helps me though, wont waste any time running the event now, Thanks Turbine.

Moonsickle
09-23-2011, 09:50 PM
/absolutely unsigned

Binding on Equip will STILL BIND the item to a character thus not being able to move it off that character... if you were to make a ring at each level 4-8-12-16-20 and equip them [which what was the point making them if you're weren't going to use them? ] at level 20 you would have 4 rings that are BtC and taking up valuable bank space on that character, then add any Epics [ if you can ever get them ] and various other BtC items you'll probably have obtained by level 20 and then all the possible Cannith Crafting items... most people already have too much stuff in the bank and multiple mules...

BtCoE items once equipped wouldn't be able to be stored in Shared Bank or on a mule which wouldn't even benefit Turbine either with people not needing to buy more Shared Bank space or Character Slots for mules to store the items in... more BtA items would allow them at least the possibility of selling more storage related items.

Add to that if you have a few characters as I'm sure most people do... for 4 characters that would be a total of 20 rings you'd have to make to have one of each level... how is that NOT MORE grinding than for making just 8 rings [ 4-8-12-16 & four Epics if you want each to have their own Epic one ]???

The Cove items [other than hats which are BtC which is fine that way as some pretty good combos can be made ] are not game-breaking items, so no need to punish those who make them... matter of fact the Epic versions are dubbed "Walmart Epics" [ maybe not based the abilities of the gear just the fact anyone can get them ]

... I'm not an Elitist, Uber nor Hardcore so let me have something I can call Epic and be able to move them to another character if I should manage to find or create something better than that item to another character that I took the time get up to that level and be able to use it.

If they make the Cove items BtCoE or BtC ... I think I'll be dropping my VIP account... there's enough grinding for BtC items in DDO as it is
...this would just be final straw [ for me at least ] since it seems they've already declared war on Rogues [ which all 4 of my characters have levels in ].

Sincerely,

Not Happy

Xenostrata
09-23-2011, 10:39 PM
The goal of making them BTC was, I think, to eliminate excessive twinking of easily obtained epic items. I see two issues with this (at LEAST two):
Any non-raid Epic items are easily twinkable due to the ingredients being all being BTA, because the following doesn't apply -
These items cannot be made year round unlike other epic items.

The essence of all non-raid epic items is that they can be made more or less without grind on the toon that uses it and that it can be made whenever. Making the cove items BTCoE fixes this be making the items twinkable ONCE, binding it to a certain party member. Letting people craft cove items outside of the event fixes this by also making the items twinkable once, simply by allowing people to hoard the ingredients and then pass them to the alt when it is ready to craft for itself.

Both suggestions will essentially turn the Cove items into other non-raid epic items, grind-wise.

Xenostrata
09-24-2011, 12:16 AM
no thanks, that would bind the tier3 items I already have crafted. What they are doing is fine. BTA for base item, BTC on upgrade.

Already crafted items would remain BTA, just newly crafted/upgraded items would be affected.

kelemvelor
09-24-2011, 12:24 AM
/signed

They already stated their intention to make the new crafted SC items BTC. I'd rather have it BTA and BTC on equip so as to pass it to my other possible toons. The eventual result is that it be BTC anyway so there really shouldn't be any issues, what it does give is the flexibility to keep it for newly rolled toons to be binded to.

For those wishing BTA on event items, keep hoping :P. They stated that it was originally a mistake that it was BTA but they let it go due to it being their anniversary. It is unlikely they make it BTA again.

NaturalHazard
09-24-2011, 12:32 AM
um so will I have stuff I made in the last cove event now bound to charactor? inclueding stuff I never even used but put in that charactors bank for storerage while I leveled up the toon it was meant for, or tred it what ever? If so it really kind of blows.

Jay203
09-24-2011, 02:13 AM
so we'll be able to sell the Crystal Cove items then? ;););)

RedOrm
09-24-2011, 02:27 AM
/signed.
I'd much prefer bta, but this at least would help, especially for those of us that need to wait for update 12 to get artificers.

As for old items: it's been stated repeatedly by MajorMalphunction that any CC items that are BTA will STAY BTA, UNLESS you upgrade them in the barterbox. Putting epic crystals on them is fine, but upgrading in the barterbox makes them btc.
New items straight from the box are *also* BTA, but become btc when you upgrade them in the barterbox.

Talias006
09-24-2011, 07:52 AM

Believe it was Cordo that said any Cove items made/upgraded already would retain their BTA status.
It's just that any item you upgrade *from the time the Cove comes back* become BtC.
They're a lot like some of the other upgradable item systems that have come out since the then.
Attack on Stormreach chain and I think Harbingers(IIRC) both have items that start as BTA, but when you upgrade them become BtC.

/absolutely unsigned

Binding on Equip will STILL BIND the item to a character thus not being able to move it off that character... if you were to make a ring at each level 4-8-12-16-20 and equip them [which what was the point making them if you're weren't going to use them? ] at level 20 you would have 4 rings that are BtC and taking up valuable bank space on that character, then add any Epics [ if you can ever get them ] and various other BtC items you'll probably have obtained by level 20 and then all the possible Cannith Crafting items... most people already have too much stuff in the bank and multiple mules...

BtCoE items once equipped wouldn't be able to be stored in Shared Bank or on a mule which wouldn't even benefit Turbine either with people not needing to buy more Shared Bank space or Character Slots for mules to store the items in... more BtA items would allow them at least the possibility of selling more storage related items.

Add to that if you have a few characters as I'm sure most people do... for 4 characters that would be a total of 20 rings you'd have to make to have one of each level... how is that NOT MORE grinding than for making just 8 rings [ 4-8-12-16 & four Epics if you want each to have their own Epic one ]???

The Cove items [other than hats which are BtC which is fine that way as some pretty good combos can be made ] are not game-breaking items, so no need to punish those who make them... matter of fact the Epic versions are dubbed "Walmart Epics" [ maybe not based the abilities of the gear just the fact anyone can get them ]

... I'm not an Elitist, Uber nor Hardcore so let me have something I can call Epic and be able to move them to another character if I should manage to find or create something better than that item to another character that I took the time get up to that level and be able to use it.

If they make the Cove items BtCoE or BtC ... I think I'll be dropping my VIP account... there's enough grinding for BtC items in DDO as it is
...this would just be final straw [ for me at least ] since it seems they've already declared war on Rogues [ which all 4 of my characters have levels in ].

Sincerely,

Not Happy

Well, it's in motion already so you may as well drop VIP now.
As has already been stated by myself and others, any Epic or tier 3's you currently have are still BtA.
Any newly crafted base versions are still just BtA.
It's just that anything you upgrade from this point forward in the Cove becomes BtC.

So, if you want to be able to toss around some of the base items, that's still good and well to do, even promoted by the Dev's.
But it makes you stop and think "Do I really need to upgrade this item when getting the next higher up item mimics most of the things I'm looking for."

Only the Epic ones, to me, are worth upgrading to tier3.
But now it has a cost associated with it.
I can accept that change.

Silverwren
09-24-2011, 08:19 AM
um so will I have stuff I made in the last cove event now bound to charactor? inclueding stuff I never even used but put in that charactors bank for storerage while I leveled up the toon it was meant for, or tred it what ever? If so it really kind of blows.

Only if you upgrade them. If you do nothing to them they will remain BTA.

SisAmethyst
09-24-2011, 08:21 AM
This would have an effect on all existing BTA items that are already tier III or that I use as twink item with no desire to further upgrade. If they become BTC on equip it mean additional grind as I would need to get one for my twinks too.

Already crafted items would remain BTA, just newly crafted/upgraded items would be affected.

I am not sure you can code it like this, or in other words I guess if you change it to BTCoE it will effect all items out there.

So sorry, not signed!

Moonsickle
09-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I can see Epic items being BtCoE as I guess it would only make sense Epic items should be BtC which would be the fair & reasonable thing to do BUT they should have left the other items as BtA including newly created items...

I mean leveling can be a chore when doing multiple characters then add TRing [ I'm sure I didn't need to remind anyone of that ] and the one thing I get to look forward to is the next set of gear when approaching certain levels... I was new to DDO at the Anniversary Cove event and managed to level up enough to get a few lvl 16 item to T1 by the 2nd run and was really looking forward to finally being able to upgrade them...
Oh well... now this as it stands really sucks!

Not only did they F'up the zone itself but now add this!
...and I'm sure there's a coming OOPS! the code didn't work and made all Cove items BtC.. sorry for the inconvenience.

Maybe they should sell Smuggler's Rest as an Adventure Pack, in turn would allow you to keep your items BtA.

Turbine: Would you like a lot of salt with that wound?
Moonsickle: Why yes, thank you.
Turbine: Would you like a local anesthetic for that, only 1000 TP?
Moonsickle: No, thank you... I'm actually enjoying the pain.

I have one level 20 character who I was hoping would be able to get some Epic gear then after Mabar [ if that & Cove even happen ] was going to TR... but now if this is implemented it would force me to leave the lvl 16 gear on him if upgraded and wait another year or whenever [ if DDO is still around & I'm still playing it ] to make other gear for any of my other characters meanwhile the upgraded gear will just sit being unused and taking up space unless that character is in the lvl 16-19 range.

I'm player from a small guild, wasn't even in a guild during last Cove event(s), where I'm the only lvl 20 character so every group I do is a PUG... so something that seems so trivial as whether an item is BtA or BtC can make a huge difference to me... my last 5 Let Sleeping Dust Lie quests have all failed on Normal add to that last 2 Reaver's Fate have also failed [ guess I won't be joining any Elite groups anymore ] not even bothering with the new pack and soon there will Artificer pets at lvl 20 with better stats than me as I saw some pets on Lamannia with 650hp 40+ STR 30+ DEX 40 CON & in the 20s for INT WIS with teens for CHA with a +9 to-hit +12dmg for Sneak Attack with Improved Evasion... maybe they should have went for the kill and gave the pets Disable Device... that way you'd have a UMD caster/buffer with ranged dps skills plus a Rogue for a pet.

but I'm still going to play the character I want to play [ Rogue flavored ] & try to make them the best they can be and I'm not really sorry that some of the enjoyment is getting to that next level of gear that I worked hard to make myself even through bad groups [ even made a new character at a point and ran a lvl 2 solo on level 2 for a few 200 Green Dragonshards runs to just finish what gear I could ] add to that once level 7+ the melee-unfriendly Smuggler's Rest Island [ 30 seconds of fighting 2-3 minutes of regen healing... 30 seconds of fighting 2-3 minutes of regen healing, etc ]...
NOTE: Think they should allow hirelings on the Island... if lvl 20's can train my lvl 4 with Minotaurs and kill steal my kobolds... I should be able have a hireling to at least attempt to heal me as I try to run!!!

... I'm sure there are others like me but think sometimes people just don't take the time to express that on the forums, don't think the forums are for them and/or are afraid of ridicule.
It don't bother me... I have Improved Evasion.

Thanks to all those who took the time to read the 2 novels I posted in this thread...

Sincerely,

Very Unhappy

P.S. still /not signed

sebastianosmith
09-24-2011, 11:36 AM
...allow a Barter Box to remain in the Harbor year round, so that when we finally do create the character we want to use an item we can simply trade in the already-farmed ingredients then.

I think they should replace the Stone of Change in the Twelve with a FÖRJ OF TEH GƠDȤ which would accept any ingredients or items from any quest or event and just do whatever it's supposed to do with, you know, magic and stuff. Then we could have one-stop crafting for everything. As a bonus we'd get to see scads of newbies falling into lava whilst attempting to crowd around. :rolleyes:

Xenostrata
09-24-2011, 01:15 PM
I think they should replace the Stone of Change in the Twelve with a FÖRJ OF TEH GƠDȤ which would accept any ingredients or items from any quest or event and just do whatever it's supposed to do with, you know, magic and stuff. Then we could have one-stop crafting for everything. As a bonus we'd get to see scads of newbies falling into lava whilst attempting to crowd around. :rolleyes:

Remember the crafting lag after u9? Part of that was caused by excessive ritual lists on the crafting machines, needing to be constantly updated.

Can you imagine the lag that would be caused if a single click opened up every recipe currently in the game?