PDA

View Full Version : Weapon damage and repair?

Qaliya
09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I have a nifty new weapon I picked up for a song off the AH: a +1 Holy Burst Greataxe of Greater Undead Bane. ML14, it's lots of fun.

But I took it in a quest where there were oozes and without realizing it, knocked it down from 180 to 114. :/

This got me thinking about other nice pieces of kit that I've literally worn out through use, and the fact that I'd like to prevent this from happening here. I plan to TR this character rather than making new ones, so I could hang onto this for quite a while.. I've never seen one on the AH before.

Questions:

1. Is binding the item the only way to prevent it from taking permanent damage?
2. If I bind the item, does it still take temporary damage but remove the chance of permanent damage when repairing?
3. If I bind the item in its current state (114/180), what happens? Will I still be able to repair it to full?

I know about the adamantine ore rituals but my understanding is that this also binds the item and so just makes it last longer before it needs repair.

Thanks.

Mercureal
09-22-2011, 01:13 PM
Answers

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. You will still be able to repair it to full

dkyle
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
But I took it in a quest where there were oozes and without realizing it, knocked it down from 180 to 114. :/

Unless that's permanent damage, that's nothing... repairs are cheap.

1. Is binding the item the only way to prevent it from taking permanent damage?
2. If I bind the item, does it still take temporary damage but remove the chance of permanent damage when repairing?
3. If I bind the item in its current state (114/180), what happens? Will I still be able to repair it to full?

1. Yes. There are enhancements that reduce temporary damage, which means less chance of permanent damage, though. Also, you can keep unbound armors safe by applying a cosmetic kit. That makes them BtA, and immune to permanent damage, and you can even remove the kit to make it unbound again.

2. Yes.

3. It keeps any current damage, and you can repair any temporary damage, but permanent damage never goes away (except if you make the item epic; that applies to unbound named items only).

I know about the adamantine ore rituals but my understanding is that this also binds the item and so just makes it last longer before it needs repair.

Yes. It can be useful, as certain high level quests are likely to break some weapons. Beating on Epic Crateos with a LitII, for example.

Qaliya
09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Thanks very much. A guildie also suggested that I could then add force ritual to it since it's bound anyway. (Not sure 1 damage per hit is worth what it will cost though, lol.)

dkyle
09-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks very much. A guildie also suggested that I could then add force ritual to it since it's bound anyway. (Not sure 1 damage per hit is worth what it will cost though, lol.)

I generally put Force damage on my tier III greensteels. I wouldn't put it on a simple loot-gen weapon unless it was something truly outstanding. Force crit is a decent, lower cost, substitute, if you were using a Falchion.

Bear in mind that Force damage, and the adamantine ritual, are mutually exclusive. Applying one removes the other.

anatoli11
09-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Force is cheap to add if you are binding it anyway:

Force Damage Ritual - Any Attuned Weapon: 3 Luminescent Dusts, 9 Fragrant Drowshood mushrooms = 1 point of force damage on each successful hit

Force Critical Ritual - Any Attuned Weapon: 6 Sparkling Dusts, 12 Deadly Feverblanch mushrooms - 1d4 points of force damage on each successful critical hit