PDA

View Full Version : Bard Instruments

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I feel that it is time bards can choose from an assortment of magical instruments, not just the boring guitar. It just does not seem fair that we are limited to one musical instrument, when there are so many out there.

We could have a chance to loot named musical instruments from certain quest chains, much like rune arms and eternal wands. There would be a variety of available instruments, each with their own unique sound when playing bard songs. They could also apply additional affects to bard songs, or perhaps come with interesting song based clickies.

I think this would be a cool idea because I play the alto saxophone, and I like the idea that my half orc warchanter could be playing a saxophone of his own. I also think that players of other instruments (oboes, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, and violins for instance) would enjoy having their bards play their instrument as well. And for those who do not play an instrument-nobody would pass up an instrument with additional abilities :D

jandhaer
09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
there are no guitars in ddo

FrozenNova
09-16-2011, 06:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLArBZISjio
Every quest, all quest.

Where would you equip them?
Adding an additional effect to inspire courage would be nice.

Also - Vuvuzela bards.

countfitz
09-16-2011, 06:16 PM
At the very least more items like the Mad Lute? I mean, give them "weapons" that have the apperance of instruments? I would love to beat someone down with a saxophone.

jandhaer
09-16-2011, 06:17 PM
also the 2 instuments you named even in our own times were seperated by around 900 years, I know magic blah blah but still, a tin whistle sure, pan flute why not, but saxaphone ?...

Hafeal
09-16-2011, 06:18 PM
I agree but could we first please get at least a different song for each bard tune? My party never knows which song my spellsinger is caterwauling until the buff appears because they used the same song for different buffs. :(:p:D

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 06:21 PM
also the 2 instuments you named even in our own times were seperated by around 900 years, I know magic blah blah but still, a tin whistle sure, pan flute why not, but saxaphone ?...

True... then again, I am sure an artificer could invent a saxaphone if we tell them the basic idea. That would make it in the correct time period, right?

Galeria
09-16-2011, 06:23 PM
It is a lute, not a guitar. Neener, neener. ;-)

Love the idea of bard-only musical weapons like the Mad Lute but it would be nice (and simple) if each song had it's own melody (instead of sharing them) and a different instrument (a wind instrument would be nice.) Nothing new to find or equip, just some long-overdue graphic and audio updating for bard songs.

Maybe when bards get their sonic dots and impressive crowd control DC's, we'll get song updates too... we can dream!

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 06:26 PM
It is a lute, not a guitar. Neener, neener. ;-)

Love the idea of bard-only musical weapons like the Mad Lute but it would be nice (and simple) if each song had it's own melody (instead of sharing them) and a different instrument (a wind instrument would be nice.) Nothing new to find or equip, just some long-overdue graphic and audio updating for bard songs.

Maybe when bards get their sonic dots and impressive crowd control DC's, we'll get song updates too... we can dream!

Yeah... I understand it is a lute, I just call it a guitar anyway :D Also, the idea that they simply change graphics and sounds and making it a seperate item sounds good too (select it in korthos/on the airship for veterans), but if possible I would prefer named instruments with special bonuses. Maybe even usable as weapons? I also agree that each bard song should have a different tune, for variety and so people know what the heck we are doing to them :D

shores11
09-16-2011, 06:28 PM
/signed

I would be on board with this if the instruments were limited to those in the medieval fantasy era. Besides the lute maybe a flute or hand held version of a harp, etc...

Gkar
09-16-2011, 06:30 PM

Magic handwaving isn't required.

It's a different planet, with a different development path. Even within our own planet's history you see scientific advances seperated by centuries on different parts of the planet.

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 06:30 PM
/signed

I would be on board with this if the instruments were limited to those in the midevil fantasy era. Besides the lute maybe a flute or hand held version of a harp, etc...

I used to feel only medieval stuff belonged in ddo, just like you-but I think the fact that artificers walk around with mechanical pets kind of ruins that image. Of course, I must agree that your idea makes sense... I just want a saxophone anyway :D

jandhaer
09-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I used to feel only medieval stuff belonged in ddo, just like you-but I think the fact that artificers walk around with mechanical pets kind of ruins that image. Of course, I must agree that your idea makes sense... I just want a saxophone anyway :D

yet another reason why I only gamed in forgotten realms...

jandhaer
09-16-2011, 06:43 PM
I whole heartedly agree that bards have been seriously neglected by the devs probably more so then any other class. They are ALOT of fun to play and a huge benefit to any group. SHOW BARDS SOME LOVE DEVS !!!

Aashrym
09-16-2011, 06:54 PM
I feel that it is time bards can choose from an assortment of magical instruments, not just the boring guitar. It just does not seem fair that we are limited to one musical instrument, when there are so many out there.

We could have a chance to loot named musical instruments from certain quest chains, much like rune arms and eternal wands. There would be a variety of available instruments, each with their own unique sound when playing bard songs. They could also apply additional affects to bard songs, or perhaps come with interesting song based clickies.

I think this would be a cool idea because I play the alto saxophone, and I like the idea that my half orc warchanter could be playing a saxophone of his own. I also think that players of other instruments (oboes, flutes, clarinets, trumpets, trombones, and violins for instance) would enjoy having their bards play their instrument as well. And for those who do not play an instrument-nobody would pass up an instrument with additional abilities :D

Half-Orcs should use war drums.

And I agree it would be nice to have bard instruments that provide abilities and take up a slot like the rune arm concept.

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Half-Orcs should use war drums.

And I agree it would be nice to have bard instruments that provide abilities and take up a slot like the rune arm concept.

Lol... war drums. That would be pretty cool admittedly. And then everyone would laugh as we try to stuff them back into our backpack when we are done playing them :D

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 07:26 PM
It would also be pretty cool if bards could play heavy metal and nearby monsters would take sonic damage for the duration of the song :D

Xenostrata
09-16-2011, 07:35 PM
Also - Vuvuzela bards.

You would have to shoot me first.

However, I'm all for giving bards more (flavor appropriate) instruments. Harps, flutes, panpipes, and accordions; hell, even a hammered dulcimer (that would be a fun one to animate).

Having it be a choice at character creation under the appearance tab sounds good.

evilgardengnome
09-16-2011, 07:38 PM
The triangle FTW! ... or the cow bell.

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 07:49 PM
The triangle FTW! ... or the cow bell.

Would probably need to be at capstone to handle an instrument requiring that much raw skill.

Rakian_Knight
09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Got to throw my vote with the gong. Got to love an instrument that you can use for cover when things get harry.

On a serious note thought, suggestions like this have come up before and the best one I've heard is make the instrument tied to the race. For example:

Elven bards get a flute, while dwarven bards get drums (or bagpipes.)

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 08:17 PM
Got to throw my vote with the gong. Got to love an instrument that you can use for cover when things get harry.

On a serious note thought, suggestions like this have come up before and the best one I've heard is make the instrument tied to the race. For example:

I think that maybe races should get a bonus to certain instruments, but I believe it would be too strict to require each race to play a certain instrument. Bards should be all about creativity and versatility... or in the case of my warchanter, hitting things with his lute. (There, I called it a lute :D)

DawnofEntropy
09-16-2011, 08:19 PM
/signed BUT NO mics, electric guitars, keyboards, keytars, modern drumsets, bongo drums and definatly no techno B.S.

If I want to be a rock star, I'll go form a band and play a few local shows until I get bored of it. If I want to be a bard I'll play music fitting to the setting.
Don't push it.
That being said I think a Dwarf could play a mean fiddle. Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe while he is giving us amazing skill boosts.

Devonian
09-16-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah I do like this idea, also ability to use an emote to actually play music while your bard is sat in a tavern.

Race specific instruments would be a good place to start. Tarenta halflings with painted drums of dinosaur hide, Valenar elves with shrilling war pipes, the deep brazen flare of a half ork's clarion, the warforged with a dragon shard powered synth, dwarven bagpipes!

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 08:28 PM
The inevitable question would be what is a human's racial instrument?

Should be interesting listening to people argue

jandhaer
09-16-2011, 08:32 PM
I just gotta have MORE COWBELL babe !! :D:D:D

Devonian
09-16-2011, 08:34 PM
The inevitable question would be what is a human's racial instrument?

Should be interesting listening to people argue

Do it by nation. I've always thought we needed more Nationalism in game.

Thrane, home of the Silver flame get small piped hand organs favoured by the pastors of small congregations.

In Karnath, its the trumpet, whose peals are often herd in the city of night.

In Aundar, they favour harps, and many a bard has duelled to own an old one, adding to its song.

Breland, forward looking and cosmopolitan takes the lute

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 08:40 PM
And in Saxaphonopolis, home of the famous Monks of the Saxophone, we would play the saxophone :D

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 08:49 PM
Anyway, here is how this thread seems to stand

Everyone seems to be in favor of having instruments by race, although deciding on the instrument for humans should be interesting

My opinion however is that people should get to choose their instrument, which allows people to customize their race and their choice of instrument; however, for those who wish to maximize their potential, certain races could get bonuses to certain instruments

Also, the consensus seems to be that only medieval style weapons should be allowed, which makes sense to me. Or at least it did before there were all of these artificers in Stormreach ;)

*waves goodbye to saxophone*

Devonian
09-16-2011, 08:52 PM
And in Saxaphonopolis, home of the famous Monks of the Saxophone, we would play the saxophone :D

No, the Saxophone was popular in Cyre. Shame about that really.

Quetzacoala
09-16-2011, 08:57 PM
In case people have not figured it out yet, I am just raving about saxophones to express myself (read that as I am bored). To be honest, while it would be nice, it would not be the end of the world.

macubrae
09-17-2011, 09:15 AM
My Horc Warchanter would play a mean triangle. For fascinate, it would be great for a bard to whip out a one man band set up and jam. As for the other musical instruments, don't forget about squeezbox, harp, harmonica and those finger cymbals that belly dancers use... on a side note, DDO needs more belly dancers.

brinclhof
09-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Being a tuba player I vote for the Sousaphone. It could also double as a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon.

Picture this. Bard plays an inspiring march on his Sousaphone....then proceeds to bash kobolds over the head with the bell....

Ah...heaven....

Quetzacoala
09-17-2011, 09:19 AM
My Horc Warchanter would play a mean triangle. For fascinate, it would be great for a bard to whip out a one man band set up and jam. As for the other musical instruments, don't forget about squeezbox, harp, harmonica and those finger cymbals that belly dancers use... on a side note, DDO needs more belly dancers.

Lol...

Quetzacoala
09-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Being a tuba player I vote for the Sousaphone. It could also double as a 2 handed bludgeoning weapon.

Picture this. Bard plays an inspiring march on his Sousaphone....then proceeds to bash kobolds over the head with the bell....

Ah...heaven....

I think for the Sousaphone it would be loads funner to stuff monsters down the bell and break their eardrums whenever you play a song, but that is just me :D

RenigadeWolf
09-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Just get a PHB and see all the instruments you could use in there :D as well as a few expansions (forget which, Complete Scoundrel comes to mind, but maybe that was just instrument blades...) another thing moderately unrelated is our guild has decided Bards should get a capstone ability (or granted ability at 20) called 'Speed Metal' that lets you play music twice as fast, for all those spell-singers with 21243124 songs to play...

Quetzacoala
09-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Just get a PHB and see all the instruments you could use in there :D as well as a few expansions (forget which, Complete Scoundrel comes to mind, but maybe that was just instrument blades...) another thing moderately unrelated is our guild has decided Bards should get a capstone ability (or granted ability at 20) called 'Speed Metal' that lets you play music twice as fast, for all those spell-singers with 21243124 songs to play...

Nice idea about the playing music twice as fast :D Another thing I desperately want for my bard now

Quetzacoala
09-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Totally off topic but... why can bards not be lawful?

Xenostrata
09-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Dwarf - Bagpipe
Elf - Flute
Halfling - Panpipe
Human - Keeps the Lute
Drow - Dulcimer, Hammered or otherwise
Half-Elf - Harp
Half-Orc - War Drums
Warforged - 1954 Gibson SG, plus Mouth Amp.

DawnofEntropy
09-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Dwarf - Bagpipe
Elf - Flute
Halfling - Panpipe
Human - Keeps the Lute
Half-Elf - Harp
Half-Orc - War Drums

NO GUTAIRS!

Warforged should get a piano.

Quetzacoala
09-29-2011, 04:49 PM
NO GUTAIRS!

That would be interesting! Of course, there is always the issue of fitting a piano into your backpack... Maybe a portable keyboard?

Khumbaaba
09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
No guitar in Eberron?

How about an electric (magic) fiddle?

There has to be a rock star option.

Maatogaeoth
09-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Totally off topic but... why can bards not be lawful?

Laws are restrictive and boring. Bards are fancy free and all that.

chung_kuel
09-29-2011, 05:03 PM
Just wondering - where would my bard find a powerpoint to plug in his Theremin in a dungeon? Also are standard dungeon sockets 220-230V or some more backwards system?

Chaos000
09-29-2011, 05:05 PM
If instrument type was based on race and alignment determined the style of the instrument you'd get a lot more variety of bards.

Also as a side note, if it's a re-skinning issue you can make it similar to armor kits and have them sold at the ddo store

kilagan800
09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
You would have to shoot me first.

However, I'm all for giving bards more (flavor appropriate) instruments. Harps, flutes, panpipes, and accordions; hell, even a hammered dulcimer (that would be a fun one to animate).

Having it be a choice at character creation under the appearance tab sounds good.

This please, please, please. And please give different songs for different spells.

Quetzacoala
09-29-2011, 07:43 PM
Just wondering - where would my bard find a powerpoint to plug in his Theremin in a dungeon? Also are standard dungeon sockets 220-230V or some more backwards system?

Air savants my friend :D Enough said

Zachski
09-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I would actually like to see a "class slot" appear in the equipment screen, something that various classes can equip to empower themselves more - and in the Bard's case, it would be instruments (since you actually could find various instruments with enchantments on them)

For Clerics and Paladins, it would be holy symbols, for Barbarians it could be warpaint, etc.

Mister_Peace
09-29-2011, 08:20 PM

Sadly, the Rubber Duckie is on the Endangered Species list there.

Aashrym
09-29-2011, 08:28 PM

Just need a renegade master maker to plug an air savant in to the mad lute with a cannith power crystal. It's all there but the bubble gum, duct tape, and screws. :D

Aashrym
09-29-2011, 08:30 PM
I would actually like to see a "class slot" appear in the equipment screen, something that various classes can equip to empower themselves more - and in the Bard's case, it would be instruments (since you actually could find various instruments with enchantments on them)

For Clerics and Paladins, it would be holy symbols, for Barbarians it could be warpaint, etc.

With the way rune arms have been implemented I do not see why we cannot have something similar for bards using instruments instead.

Quetzacoala
09-29-2011, 09:01 PM
With the way rune arms have been implemented I do not see why we cannot have something similar for bards using instruments instead.

Only downside of that is rune arms can only be equipped with one handed weapons... warchanters would not be happy with that, not one bit.

Xenostrata
09-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Only downside of that is rune arms can only be equipped with one handed weapons... warchanters would not be happy with that, not one bit.

TWF = Two Weapon Fluting?

Aashrym
09-29-2011, 09:07 PM

That depends on if the item is worth considering giving up THF or TWF. Tough choices are good choices IMO.

It it might very well turn out to be a better item for casting bards. I think they could afford a bonus in a world of melee bards, mostly war chanters. ;)

CosmicStarfish
09-29-2011, 09:17 PM
TWF = Two Weapon Fluting?

+1 to you good sir, that made my night.

In response to the OP, I love the idea of giving bards different instruments, the lute (at least I think it is) sounds are getting annoying. I am not a fan of the idea of having them equip like weapons. To add the instruments in a non-item way, I think it would be cool to have bard bonus feats that would allow the use of the different instruments (sorta like FvS deity feats, by taking a general one at level one and having assorted bonuses at certain levels in the form of another feat) like "Music Proficiency: Flute" or "Music Proficiency: Drums" and have them each give different bonuses to the standard bard songs.

</two cents>

Edit:
I think this would be a cool idea because I play the alto saxophone, and I like the idea that my half orc warchanter could be playing a saxophone of his own. I play the sax too! Music win!

macubrae
09-30-2011, 10:17 AM
These would be the bards starting instruments. As other ones are found, with new benefits, bards can upgrade. If the instrument has a power that it adds to the bardsong, then the toon could switch instruments for each song. For example, say a drum adds cold resistance and a citarn or lute adds acid or fire resistance. Bagpipes can protect vs sonic(no sound burst can hurt you after having to listen to bagpipes) and a panflute can protect you against charm spells. As for stuffing a piano into a backpack, my Horc would keep his maracas safely tucked in the front of his pants.

Bards also need to be able to learn the dances of other races. My wife is fond of the Helf dance, but just cannot bring herself to creat a Helf until their faces are fixed. Besides, who doesn't want to see a Horc breakdance like a halfling?

Bolo_Grubb
09-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Racial instruments would be cool. Maybe drums for orc, flute for elf, variegated of different string guitar like instrumnets through out history so each race could have a different graphic

Aashrym
09-30-2011, 10:29 PM
I think halfling war bongos are in order too.

bigolbear
10-01-2011, 01:56 PM
you heard me.

yeh signed on this, would be great to pick your instrument - or find/buy instruments in game that give bonuses to various songs.

eg:
war drums: +1 damage from inspire courage.
harp: +1 to fascinate DC's
bagpipes: bonus duration of songs.

And id suggest that when you have multiple bards in the same group then when one performs they get some bonus from any other bard - because multiple bards generaly dont work well together as things stand which is a shame.

Musical synergy:
when you perform and there is another freindly bard within range your songs gain the highest benefit of all bards present - including DC's, bonus to damage/hit, duration etc. Your songs also gain a small bonus (bonus duration).

Monroid
10-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Dwarf - Bagpipe
Elf - Flute
Halfling - Panpipe
Human - Keeps the Lute
Half-Elf - Harp
Half-Orc - War Drums

Aw yeah!
http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/14534_w_1.jpg

Warforgeds should get triangles

FrancisP.Fancypants
10-01-2011, 02:22 PM
NO GUTAIRS!

Come on, WF should have tiny theremins.

I dunno how many actual musicians there are in this thread, but do the current bard songs get under anyone else's skin? The inspire courage one in particular sounds like it's being tuned down on the last few notes if there's any background noise at all.

Delssar
10-01-2011, 02:27 PM
If they do this (and I doubt they will) I would like to see 3 instruments

1) Drums, like a marching kit, I myself am a drummer
2) A harp, because harps are just that awsome
AND
3) A violin or something like it, and the bard better be shredding the violin
Example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XKn4lSHrPo&feature=relmfu
(skip to 30seconds in)

Just for teh lulz, add a pipe organ

Aashrym
10-01-2011, 02:33 PM
id suggest that when you have multiple bards in the same group then when one performs they get some bonus from any other bard - because multiple bards generaly dont work well together as things stand which is a shame.

Musical synergy:
when you perform and there is another freindly bard within range your songs gain the highest benefit of all bards present - including DC's, bonus to damage/hit, duration etc. Your songs also gain a small bonus (bonus duration).

Multiple bards can work with some coordination. Normally the easiest thing to do is let a war chanter handle inspire courage and recklessness, spellsinger will toss spell buff songs and cast heals, virt will handle enthralling over fascinating and capering as needed.

If the groups wants to make use of sustaining song the virt sings it first and then the spellsinger hands out SP regen to the casters in the party after that. If the virt does run low on song CC there is plenty of back up from the other bards with fascinates.

Duties after the songs are going to depend on the specific builds but the party will very likely have melee, healing, and CC no matter what. I've run with groups that included 3 or 4 bards and the ability to place bards in a variety of roles is useful; delegation goes a long way in those groups.

Filling the slot with a bard might not be optimal sometimes, but if they can get the job done it sure beat waiting for the 'perfect group' and I would rather spend that time playing with what I have available than waiting longer for the group than it takes to complete with who is available. ;)

Just thought I would toss that out there. :D

That, and we need more spells, more songs, and specialty instruments to help a diverse class be diverse. :)

InsanityIsYourFriend
10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
personally i do think that dwarves get bagpipes
humans keep your lute
half orc gets war drums ~i mean their dance almost looks like they are playing them~
WF should get a keyboard ~they would play wannabe techno cause they are machines~
Elves get a harp
drow elves also get a harp but looks more tribal
half elves get a flute or something else maybe hide their face behind something
i dont know what halflings should get really but you cant forget them!

and who doesnt want to see the female half orc start dancing to the female helf dance? would certainly be.... entertaining

or the halfling do the horc tribal thing

drows are just elf wannabies sad to say ~ya they have great ups that elves dont but they have same dances~

PS dont dog heavy metal! it doesnt kill your ears that badly ~someone yells at me~ what?! i cant hear you!

NovaNZ
10-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Who wouldn't want to see Flizik the dwarf jamming to 'Devil went down to georgia' and smoking a pipe ....

Tx DawnofEntropy

I'd like to be able to use this as my sig ;)

Adken
10-01-2011, 03:58 PM
In fact, those instruments already exist in the game, but only played by NPCs. It would be nice to see them on the hands of players.

For example:
Yannick Drumdoom, the dwarf collector in the marketplace uses a drum.
Some bard trainers use flutes, like the one in house D. There's also a halfling playing a flute in house J, but not a trainer IIRC.

Would it be too hard to adapt this to PCs?

Oh, here could be horns as well, i remember one artifact from the Dhakaani empire in the Eberron Campaign Setting, a horn that when you play it caused the enemies an effect like doom or something... and some buffs to allies.

Quetzacoala
10-01-2011, 08:18 PM
On the topic of instruments based on race... what would gnomes get?

Aashrym
10-01-2011, 08:20 PM

folding pipe organs. they are ingenious those gnomes are. :D

Quetzacoala
10-02-2011, 02:26 PM
folding pipe organs. they are ingenious those gnomes are. :D

Lol...

Devonian
10-02-2011, 03:05 PM

The dreaded Gnomish war Kazoo.

Quetzacoala
10-03-2011, 08:13 PM

No! Anything but that!

Quetzacoala
10-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Besides, how is a kazoo used in war anyway?

LoveNeverFails
10-04-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLArBZISjio
Every quest, all quest.

rarely do i click on the tube links, but i'm glad i hit this one... lmao

Oakianus
10-05-2011, 03:12 AM
In PnP, Akrites, my halfling Bard, used small but magically enhanced war drums that he wore on his belt loops for all of his singing. I frequently used a bongo my brother owned to indicate what I was doing with my turn. :P

In other words, I very much support this idea. :P

oradafu
10-05-2011, 03:27 AM
I like the idea of giving different races playing different instrument. It's in tune ( *pun* ) with the different dances for each race. I know it won't make all players happy if this change happens since I know alot of people don't like static choices...but this would at least bring a bit of diversity to the class and animation.

Partydeluxe
10-05-2011, 03:43 AM
/signed

Been throwing the same party for years, little diversity would be nice.. (still deluxe mind you!)

lhidda
10-05-2011, 04:01 AM

/signed

I like the idea of more diversity regarding bards instruments. Mad lute is just a greatclub with skin of a lute. You can not even hold it in a manner you would play it. Singing a song will not be performed on the mad lute, the bard switches to his standard 0815 lute.

Most annoying is that even some different songs have the same melody.

Quetzacoala
10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=lhidda;4117006Most annoying is that even some different songs have the same melody.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I must agree with you here. Even if none of the suggestions here pertaining to instruments are implemented, I feel Turbine should at the very least make every song have a distinctively different tune.