PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of revamping audio?

sephiroth1084
09-16-2011, 03:47 PM
So the devs have been doing a rather tremendous job with the game of late with all sorts of fixes and improvements in addition to the "basic" content additions, but one thing that has been bothering me for years is the incredibly poor sound controls we have for the game.

I almost never play with game sounds on, as they tend to drown out voice chat, and when I do have them on, I tend to have SFX, DM and UI sounds at 1 or 2% and music at about 10%, and those almost exclusively when I'm either soloing or playing content for the first time. I like the ambiance in DDO, and the sound effects really enhance my play experience, but I just can't keep the stuff on if I'm grouped.

And when I'm not grouped, footsteps, weapon swings and the annoying ticks from Death Aura overwhelm all other sounds, and I often turn SFX off because of those anyway.

Then, as far as voice chat goes, it seems like about 90% of the time that I'm in a party, one person is much too loud, forcing me to drop overall volume to around 60%, while someone else is so soft that even with both the in-game volume and the volume on my receiver turned up all the way, the fan off in my room, window closed and all sounds turned off, I can still only catch about 1 in 10 words.

What I'd like to see:
Individual party member volume sliders with a max volume considerably higher than the current max.

Greater depth in sound options, including:

Individual controls for several different categories of sound effects (such as: footsteps, weapon sounds, spell sounds, background noise, environmental sounds // player FX, enemy FX).
An option to either turn off or dampen game sounds and music when a party member is speaking.
A breakdown of UI sounds that we can leave on or not: I like the ding that comes with a /tell, but not the sounds from clicking stuff or some such.

Really, the lack of sound controls, and especially chat volume controls, is one of the most disappointing features of DDO--I play the game as much for the socialization as I do for the fun of the game, but have to always sacrifice one for the other.

sephiroth1084
09-16-2011, 05:20 PM
Really hoping for some dev posts on this.

Vellrad
09-16-2011, 05:24 PM
I just want setting voice chat volume to 400 or 500%.
And volume bar for each player (OMG stop whispering dude).

toaf
09-16-2011, 05:30 PM
yes. this is needed