PDA

View Full Version : Artificers in the Twilight Forge

EliahuTheMighty
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Dear Devs,

With the release of Artificers coming up, I had an idea for U11/12. It goes something like the following:

In the Titan raid, implement two switches on opposite sides of the room. These switches can only be used by Artificers. Also, the switches only become unlocked if all 8 pillars have fallen. Using these switches changes the laser beam, and enables it to destroy the titan's shield, even if he is not knocked down.

Perks of this idea:
-Prevents the high risk of wipe that has made this raid the red-headed step child of raids that many players avoid like the plague.
-Gives players a good chance to access some nice loot that they've never worked with because of avoiding the raid.
-May increase sale of Artificers for the perk of a guarantee to not wipe at the end.

There are lots of ways to adjust this idea, such as it being only one lever, which is placed near the 'oven', or maybe a switch on the control panel that changes the frequency of the laser beam to the new shield-breaking frequency.

Thoughts?

FrozenNova
09-08-2011, 01:34 PM
No thanks.

oradafu
09-08-2011, 01:36 PM
They nerfed traps because people complained about needing a rogue for any content with traps. I don't see the Devs adding anything to an existing quest that can only be used by a single class...and a non-free class on top of that.

Memnir
09-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Thoughts?I really don't like the idea of any one specific class being "needed" in a raid due to an easy-button mechanic like this hypothetical lever. And this suggestion bypasses a fairly significant aspect of the raid itself.

/not signed

somenewnoob
09-08-2011, 01:47 PM
How about they just change it so any class can pull those levers......then if they fix the 8000 other reasons why Titan never gets run and we'll see some pugs for it!

Calebro
09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I agree with the previous posters that this would create an easy button in what is already an easy raid.

-Prevents the high risk of wipe that has made this raid the red-headed step child of raids that many players avoid like the plague.

Not sure what you're talking about here. I've lead hundreds of Titans. Hundreds. I've been in exactly four fails, two of which were before I knew the raid well enough to lead it myself, and two of which were because of bad luck (Titan was running around like a freak without warning, bun expired milliseconds prior to firing, etc).
If you're having trouble finding groups that complete, send me a message. I'll teach you how to do it. As a matter of fact, I'll be running one tonight.

barryman5000
09-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I really don't like the idea of any one specific class being "needed" in a raid due to an easy-button mechanic like this hypothetical lever. And this suggestion bypasses a fairly significant aspect of the raid itself.

/not signed

That's A BOLD and ITALIC /not signed.

For me its a /ditto

Kenpai
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
Enter Titan with 2 Artis
Knock down all pillars
?????
PROFIT!

Unless you change 'two switches which can only be used by Artificers' to 'Kenpai can kill the Titan in a single hit regardless of its current shields and health', /not signed

ulticleo
09-08-2011, 01:55 PM
no.

run the raid. it's not that hard. you're allowed two mistakes.

I think the reason most people don't run this raid is that... well, it's not run that much. ;)

the flagging quests are quite hard at level, long, and don't give worthwhile xp. It tough to get to them if you don't know the way (and the map is useless), or don't have someone who has picked up the quest in the party, allowing you to share and port to the quest.

The raid itself drops some decent items, but with the exception of the ring and the gloves, nothing exciting for endgame. compare that to von (boots, epics) and DQ (torc, greenblade, bracers, epics), which contain end game loot (even the non-epic versions in some cases, as I noted). The gloves are a swap item at best, and with all the other bonuses to UMD available nowadays, merely a novelty item. the ring's dodge bonus is coveted by very few, and can be had on DT armor.

The preraid is often cited as the reason for not running the raid. I find that ridiculous as it is about the same length as von5 and gives about the same amount of xp. however, it, too, is a pain to reach at level if you don't know the way. I think that it is actually more linear and simple than von5, once you know the puzzles.

So really, I doubt it's the risk of a wipe that deters people from running the raid.

Symar-FangofLloth
09-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Ooh ooh.

We should also add an option for Druids (whom will inevitably be not everything everyone is thinking) to transform into giant eagles in Shroud, to fly people straight past parts 1-3 while still getting the chests.

And Rogues should totally be able to rig explosives in the SubT to blast tunnels that let you skip the run to either raid.

Memnir
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
the flagging quests
It tough to get to them if you don't know the way (and the map is useless), or don't have someone who has picked up the quest in the party, allowing you to share and port to the quest.
Edited ulticleo's post to highlight my main issue with running Titan and why I think it isn't run more often.

The flagging quests are an utter drag to get to.
Getting to them is just not fun or able to the thought of as anything less then an absolutely aggravating chore. In order for me to even consider running the Titan raid, the whole Isles map mechanics would need to be tossed and then rebuild from scratch as something more player friendly. That does not mean easier - but the up/down/turn around/up/down/do it again way of navigating out there, without a functional map, is just absurdly unfun.

The quests themselves aren't bad - but I think they are collectively the worst of the flagging quests in the game. A slight increase in XP is all that would be needed for them to be more palatable, imho.

As for the Raid... I kinda like the Twilight Forge itself. It's a pain to split the group twice over - but all in all I think it's better then the one-room-wonders we have under the Marketplace. But the flagging for Titan is so atrocious, I haven't bothered in years. Literally.

Fix the Isles, and the raid would be run more... and no one-class Easy Button will change that. At least for me personally. :)

But as it is, I think of Twilight Forge and 3BC to be the worst investments I've made content-wise as a Premium player

EliahuTheMighty
09-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys! All very good points, which I did not consider. I agree with you now that it would be a bad idea. (Only reason I thought it would be good is that it's storyline compatible for Artificers, and the neg feedback I hear on titan is the wipeability of it.)
Thanks!

Delt
09-09-2011, 03:17 AM
The only reason titan isn't run often is the loot sucks. Period.

When the loot was still marginally viable, you'd see pugs as often as VoN.

....JUNGLE CLOAK!!!!!! YES!