PDA

View Full Version : AC idea

fasteddie8989
09-08-2011, 09:35 AM
My idea is to have your ac diffrence reduce the damage you take.

If the mob's bab + roll is a 70 and you have an ac of 69 you would take %60 of the damage, because the mob hit you but it was not a solid hit.

If the mob's bab + roll is a 70 and you have an ac of 50 you would take %95 of the damage.

The numbers could be adjusted of course, but the idea is you still get hit if bab + roll is more then your ac. The diffrence is how hard you were hit due to your armor absorbing some of the hit or you have gotten out of the way some what but were still hit, but not in as vital of area as the mob was aiming for.

What are peoples thoughts?

grodon9999
09-08-2011, 09:36 AM
Just lower the darn to-hits.

fasteddie8989
09-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Just lowing the to-hit is not going to help. Should they also lower the to-hits for players? If they did that would make every class able to melee and take away from barbs, fighters, rangers ie anyone who mainly hit stuff with wepons as everyone will hit mobs more even if it is not their choosen dps route.

This would also make the high ac impossible for most mobs to hit.

Bodic
09-08-2011, 10:00 AM
The best fix for AC is and always has been removing grazing hits.

I have said this before take any 50AC having toon into an Elite Misery Peak, and you will take significant damage mostly from arrows. Their CR is dreadfully low it should be impossible to take any damage.

grodon9999
09-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Just lowing the to-hit is not going to help. Should they also lower the to-hits for players? If they did that would make every class able to melee and take away from barbs, fighters, rangers ie anyone who mainly hit stuff with wepons as everyone will hit mobs more even if it is not their choosen dps route.

That is a ridiculous strawman argument. Go study some more in troll-school before posting again.

grodon9999
09-08-2011, 10:06 AM
The best fix for AC is and always has been removing grazing hits.

I have said this before take any 50AC having toon into an Elite Misery Peak, and you will take significant damage mostly from arrows. Their CR is dreadfully low it should be impossible to take any damage.

On elite nobody should be invulnerable to damage. Viva la grazing hits. just utilize this as the balancing mechanic for epics, or Sirgod's idea which is probably better.

mute_mayhem
09-08-2011, 10:07 AM

lol

Yeah, my wizard is going to swing his silver flame club instead of using wail of the banshee...

News flash:
It's already possible to attain an AC where most mobs don't hit you.
The only place AC is useless is in epics.
For that, I agree with grodon, lower the to-hits and make his gimpy elf viable.

fasteddie8989
09-08-2011, 10:40 AM
The reason i think ac is kinda broken is if a person builds for ac it is all or nothing. I think there should be more then min\max ac options.

With the change to shields I thought turbine might be looking at ac as well and hoping for players discuss and come up with some great ideas turbine could incorate or modify to make the game better.

grodon9999
09-08-2011, 10:51 AM
The reason i think ac is kinda broken is if a person builds for ac it is all or nothing. I think there should be more then min\max ac options.

With the change to shields I thought turbine might be looking at ac as well and hoping for players discuss and come up with some great ideas turbine could incorate or modify to make the game better.

it's not as "all or nothing" as most people believe it to be. That implies an AC toon does no damage and that simply isn't true. Yes, there are DPS sacrifices and you will not be able to put out as much damage as a full-****** DPSer and it is extremely gear-intensive (so is building a good DPS).

The best solutions I've seen involved change the d20 variable to a 2-40 (or larger) number so a wider range is viable. Sirgod's suggestion on the Lamania forums looks great.

R0cksteady
09-08-2011, 11:21 AM
I kind of like AC being useless. I want to build for DPS and not be called a gimp because my AC is too low and I have to be healed.

Feralthyrtiaq
09-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I kind of like AC being useless. I want to build for DPS and not be called a gimp because my AC is too low and I have to be healed.

I've seen the light as well LOL.

grodon9999
09-08-2011, 12:12 PM

We're all gimps for not being casters :)

Thrudh
09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
AC works just fine from 1-19...

It's not all or nothing for the TWF monk splashes... They can achieve solid DPS (although not top-notch) and keep a good AC.

The Shield users do take a big hit DPS wise to achieve their AC, so maybe something should be done there... Glancing blows does help quite a bit though.

The only place AC is broken is epic... All they have to do is lower the to-hits in epic on the trash... Grazing hits will still keep people from being 100% safe...

And who cares if an AC fighter takes little damage in epics? He still kills a lot slower than a caster, and the changes made to intimidate make it much harder to utilize an AC tank in a party.

fasteddie8989
09-08-2011, 12:57 PM
it's not as "all or nothing" as most people believe it to be. That implies an AC toon does no damage and that simply isn't true. Yes, there are DPS sacrifices and you will not be able to put out as much damage as a full-****** DPSer and it is extremely gear-intensive (so is building a good DPS).

I am not talking about DPS, but that you have to build all for AC or do nothing with AC. A person who does not go all out on AC is likly to have just as effective AC as someone who is not wearing any armor (the bonus stats on the armor ie + to stat or + to search ect... are not AC).

If there was damage reduction according to how much your AC vs mob attack value was it would make more AC even if you did get hit worth something. Now if you can not get to a threshhold for lvl or quest AC is irelivant. This would mean 40 AC is better then 12 AC at lvl 20. Where as now 40 AC is the same as 12 AC at lvl 20 now.

Thrudh
09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I am not talking about DPS, but that you have to build all for AC or do nothing with AC. A person who does not go all out on AC is likly to have just as effective AC as someone who is not wearing any armor (the bonus stats on the armor ie + to stat or + to search ect... are not AC).

If there was damage reduction according to how much your AC vs mob attack value was it would make more AC even if you did get hit worth something. Now if you can not get to a threshhold for lvl or quest AC is irelivant. This would mean 40 AC is better then 12 AC at lvl 20. Where as now 40 AC is the same as 12 AC at lvl 20 now.

Ah, I see your point... Yes, I can agree with that... I wouldn't mind seeing every 10 AC equal 1 point of stacking DR.

BOgre
09-08-2011, 01:24 PM
Reducing Epic to-hit isn't the right way to go. Painfully shortsighted.

A complete AC rework is needed, and Sirgog's idea (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=337588) seems to be the best one floating around so far.