PDA

View Full Version : More inconsistencies

aennae
09-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I don't get ay save for dispel magic, for each effect potentially dispelled i should get a save and it should be modified by the difference between the level of the one who casted the buff and the level of the one dispelling.

I m a priest and get quite fed up to be stripped of all my buf with a single level 3 spell.

What is even more annoying is the fact that ship buf cannot be dispelled.

Unholy bligth also give me -2 to save while the holy version does not give -2 to saves to monsters. That's not consistent especially if we consider that i wear blindness war googles, so i cannot be blinded and suffer the -2.

rimble
09-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Dispel Magic isn't a save, it's a Caster Level check against the Caster Level of the spells being dispelled, you won't see the rolls for it. It is perfectly consistent, although painfully overused in some places. I really hate Dispel.

Iwinbyrollup
09-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Unholy bligth also give me -2 to save while the holy version does not give -2 to saves to monsters. That's not consistent especially if we consider that i wear blindness war googles, so i cannot be blinded and suffer the -2.

They're different spells. They have different effects.

Both do 1d4+4 damage per 2 caster levels with 5d4 + 20 maximum. Unholy Blight, however, causes a Sickened effect while Holy Smite causes a Blinding effect. They're not supposed to be the same.

I believe the Sickened effect counts as a Poison effect although I could be misremembering. Try either equipping a Proof Against Poison item or buffing yourself with the cleric Neutralize Poison spell (it's a level 4 divine spell). Neutralize Poison can either be used when you get hit with the Sickened effect or in advance.

pasqualy
09-07-2011, 02:47 PM
They're different spells. They have different effects.

Both do 1d4+4 damage per 2 caster levels with 5d4 + 20 maximum. Unholy Blight, however, causes a Sickened effect while Holy Smite causes a Blinding effect. They're not supposed to be the same.

I believe the Sickened effect counts as a Poison effect although I could be misremembering. Try either equipping a Proof Against Poison item or buffing yourself with the cleric Neutralize Poison spell (it's a level 4 divine spell). Neutralize Poison can either be used when you get hit with the Sickened effect or in advance.

i have no idea on how this actually works, but, logically, wouldn't sickened count as a disease effect?

Feylina
09-07-2011, 02:58 PM
AFAIK sickened is almost a completely seperate effect. not a poison and not a disease. some ghouls / wights do this to you and you can't remove it with remove disease / poison.

Phidius
09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Dispel Magic isn't a save, it's a Caster Level check against the Caster Level of the spells being dispelled, you won't see the rolls for it. It is perfectly consistent, although painfully overused in some places. I really hate Dispel.

Just stay out of the Wayward Lobster then :D

I'll be here all week - try the veal, it's delicious!

On a more serious note, I suspect the problem may lie with how Turbine ramps up the mobs level in order to make up for not giving them metamagics and enhancements.

I run most quests over level, and it seems like the only time my buffs stand a chance against being dispelled is when I'm 5+ levels over the quest.

donfilibuster
09-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Dispel magic in DDO is far far weaker than its PnP usage, gotta keep that in mind when complaining about losing buffs.

AFAIK sickened is almost a completely seperate effect. not a poison and not a disease. some ghouls / wights do this to you and you can't remove it with remove disease / poison.

Sickened is the condition, which defines the effect and penalties, it can be caused by various means.
A poison for example can give other conditions like nauseated.

But a spell that gives a condition may or may not be based on something specific, like stinking cloud doesn't count as poison while cloudkill specifically states it, even when both are vaporous clouds.