PDA

View Full Version : which server for new players

susume_bachi
09-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Which server would be the best for new players? IE lots of PUGs and active population?

Therigar
09-07-2011, 12:36 PM
You are going to get the same replies that people always get with this type of post....

My server is super fantastic. We want you to join us.

or

Build a character on every server and give them all a try. You're welcome wherever you choose to call home.

Both are right answers. :D

susume_bachi
09-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I was on Khyber and that seemed somewhat dead.

StarfishDDO
09-07-2011, 01:12 PM
I currently play on Thelanis, which always seems populated. Mainly because a LOT of European players now play on that server from were the EU servers went.

There is pretty much ALWAYS LFG's on here. I'm not gunna say it's the best, because it's the only one I've played! But it does however seem very active :)

Jubbers
09-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Mostly it depends on play time. When I log into cannith at 7:00pm pst there are a ton of LFM's up in all level ranges. But when I log off at 2:00am there are 5-7 of them at TR levels :)

Shade
09-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I was on Khyber and that seemed somewhat dead.

lol.

Just last night - a tuesday night, not the most popular time.. The server was FULL.. Literaly full, that is a very rare occurs, but happened on khyber many times..

Full is like 2-3k active players on the server.. Khybers pretty busy. There was like 40+ active real LFMs at any given moment.

Id almost have to say ...
Don't come to khyber cuz I wanna be able to log in and not get "servers full" error messsages lol. Gona be hard to get in U11. They seriously need to implement there so called queuing tech that never existed.

Argo and Thelanis are the other 2 "very big" servers imo.
Galanda and Sarlona - medium population. Sarlona is known to be the oriental-speaking server
Cannith/Orien - Newer servers, so lower population, but still lots.
Wayfinder - Newst server so very low pop, officially german-speaking server but english/french is allowed too.

grodon9999
09-07-2011, 01:50 PM
NOT Ghallanda :)

Templarion
09-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Thelanis and Ghallanda have both lots of european players. No idea which one has more. I play myself in Thelanis and I am very satisfied with it. Lots of LFMs and people playing around the clock since there are also lots of people from US. If I remember correctly, Thelanis server forum also has the most threads about server lag. So I guess that can be listed as a con.

Since you are starting a new game I recommend that you play every server on 500 favor and also learn and try every class. After you have got 500 favor from every server, read which quest packs you should buy first and start building a main toon in the server you like the most.

scoobmx
09-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Argo is the best and it's the only one I've played on. Yea, that's right, I said it.

altrocks
09-07-2011, 01:59 PM
lol.

Just last night - a tuesday night, not the most popular time.. The server was FULL.. Literaly full, that is a very rare occurs, but happened on khyber many times..

Full is like 2-3k active players on the server.. Khybers pretty busy. There was like 40+ active real LFMs at any given moment.

Id almost have to say ...
Don't come to khyber cuz I wanna be able to log in and not get "servers full" error messsages lol. Gona be hard to get in U11. They seriously need to implement there so called queuing tech that never existed.

Argo and Thelanis are the other 2 "very big" servers imo.
Galanda and Sarlona - medium population. Sarlona is known to be the oriental-speaking server
Cannith/Orien - Newer servers, so lower population, but still lots.
Wayfinder - Newst server so very low pop, officially german-speaking server but english/french is allowed too.

I was gonna tell him not to come to Khyber, too. But then I thought better of it.

If you want to level up among other people and learn the game as you go, then Khyber is not for you. 90% of the people under level 20 seem to be TR's and they will, as a general rule, not group with anyone until about level 10 or so. The prices are inflated beyond anything reasonable, to the point that the AH is barely used for anything of actual value and brokers carry nothing but the worst junk, if they even have anything. So getting equipment can be rough unless you quickly learn what to farm for plat at low levels.

On the other hand, if you want the best selection for PUGs towards end-game content, Khyber is the place to be. We are the oldest server and have some of the longest active players in the game. Even a random PUG for most Raids is likely to succeed (which, if forums are to be believed, is quite rare on other servers where guild runs and static groups are the only reliable completion method most of the time). As Shade said above, there are LFM's up ALL the time. Sure, sometimes there's a week or so where it's kinda quiet, like this last week was (lots of people moving their stuff into campus housing/dorms, I think. We seem to have a lot of college-age players among the old farts like myself). I usually end up playing between midnight and 6 am Central US time during weekdays, and I rarely have problems finding PUGS for Epics, raids or anything else. And that's a relatively slow time for the server.

So yeah. Choices. Depends on what kind of experience you want.

Inferno346
09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Even a random PUG for most Raids is likely to succeed (which, if forums are to be believed, is quite rare on other servers where guild runs and static groups are the only reliable completion method most of the time).

Yeah Khyber is not alone in that regard. Hard tod, all epic raids, elite abbot (not that diff makes a huge difference there) are commonly successfully pugged on Thelanis. Elite tod is less commonly pugged but not never (although perhaps nearly never come u11). The fact is, most content is so easy even idiots can do it.

Satinavian
09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Well, Khyber is one of the most populated servers, if not the fullest. Also people seem to pug more than on other servers i was on.

But as always, Servers are quite populated on US-peak times and quite empty when no one playes there. All servers (with the possible exception of wayfinder)

clkpacker
09-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Orien is kinda the default "newbie" server. We've got the whole range of players from people who've never seen outside of Korthos to the highest-ranked raiding guild across all servers. We've generally got a lot of people on, but we seem to be a bit slower in the LFM department than other servers.

susume_bachi
09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Many thanks to all.

Here's a funny bit: It seems that I do have a char with 400 favour on Sarlona. But...It's a Ranger. Would I lose my ability to Drow if I deleted it?

NinjaCereal
09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Hey now, there's nothing wrong with rangers :D

But to answer your question, not as far as I know. I believe once you unlock something on a server it stays unlocked. At least when I tr'd my main and lost the favor that I unlocked fvs with, I could still make a fvs.

Edit: according to the wiki you can delete your toon and still keep drow unlocked.

susume_bachi
09-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Heh. True there's nothing bad about rangers... but it's an arcane archer ranger. Not alot of happy joy with that.

Thanks for the tip on unlocking. I may just return the ranger to the biomass and start a new character on Sarlona.

HanzelC
09-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I was looking for a server locations. Google search "ddo server locations". I came across a ddo forums post that gave a good break down of the different servers. Rural vs urban...game play styles raiding guild driven ect...
You may want to surf around a bit and see if it still exists...maybe current, maybe not
Good luck finding a server that fits you and your play style.
Oldguy

griffin_230
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I couldn't log onto Khyber last night. Kept getting the "Server Full" popup message box, so I think the population seems fine there. Also, there never seems to be a problem pugging lvl20 content on Khyber.

paraplegic
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
my advice. dont join sarlona! i mean its really good (i love chinesse guys.. most of them are good players and you can pike or help whatever) sadly if you are new to the game u might need guidance. so get in on a normal server. say kyber or argo