PDA

View Full Version : Casting Questions: A list of spells that should be changed

Xenostrata
09-05-2011, 09:59 PM
This is NOT a troll bait thread. It is meant primarily as a place to question whether or not something is WAI, and to suggest a change in order to make it more balanced/logical (whether or not it is in fact NWAI). I will throw in a couple I can guess are WAI, but so what.

1)NPCs, when casting Otto's Irresistible Dance, have unlimited range
I would guess that this is NWAI, but I am unsure whether or not this would be another example of boosting NPC casters over PC ones. However, since this spell has no save and an unreachable SR block, limiting it to touch range would be nice.
Picture for proof (was inside a hypnotic pattern at the time so it's hard to see, but you can see me dancing and the caster far below me):
http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/7356/screenshot00086p.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/844/screenshot00086p.jpg/)

2)The Power Word series of spells can fail to cast (but still activate the incredibly long timer) when an opponent is blocked or ran behind the caster
I think this one is either WAI or Who Cares example (probably coded just the same as any other long range, single target spell) but as a spell based on audibility rather than line of sight, I think these would be better if they could be used around obstacles and against flanking opponents.

3)(Bug) Polar Ray, when used to kill a target, will usually (in my experience, about 2/3 of the time) kill the target and register as such in the combat log, but will graphically appear to have made the target vanish (no dying animation, no damage numbers).
Fairly obviously a bug, just thought I'd post that here and see if anyone else has seen this happen.

4)Creatures with the "Crucible of Shavarath" buff (immunity to Enchantments) are also immune to Power Word Stun, a conjuration spell
This one might be WAI, however, I think it was simply coded to make them immune to spell based stun or hold effects (I have not yet tested Greater Shout, being a sorcerer). A clarification would be good, but simply following the flavor of the spell and the buff I think that having PW:S work as a good quick stun effect would be nice.

5)Multi-hit spells (Meteor Swarm, Magic Missle) drain Spell Absorption charges for each time they hit instead of just once
Probably another Who Cares example, a small fix would be nice so that one Swarm from Horoth/the Abbot drains over half the stone.

6)Spells that emulate the effects of lower level spells are blocked by effects that prevent low level spells from working (buffs in a Globe of Invulnerability, offensive spells against something with a Mantle of Invulnerability)
Mostly just annoying, not game breaking. A fix would be nice though, despite how few people are casting Cyclonic Blast at Suulo.

Feel free to add your own small fixes to spells or spell mechanics. Please DO NOT post anything about DoTs, there are more than enough threads on that already.

janave
09-06-2011, 12:49 AM

In Shroud the trogliz do the same on a successful disintegrate. No damage floats, no animation just pure vanishing.

Seventh
09-06-2011, 01:18 AM

In Shroud the trogliz do the same on a successful disintegrate. No damage floats, no animation just pure vanishing.

It happens with all sorts of spells in Shroud- I imagine this bug isn't specific to any one spell.

Also, I imagine that no AI mob would would ever be able to land Otto's if they were restricted to touch range- just too dumb.

Xenostrata
09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
It happens with all sorts of spells in Shroud- I imagine this bug isn't specific to any one spell.

Also, I imagine that no AI mob would would ever be able to land Otto's if they were restricted to touch range- just too dumb.

As an unsavable spell, giving it unlimited range is a bit dumb as well.

I can see giving all mobs enlarge and letting them have fun with that, but I was a whole floor above this guy. He should not have been able to dance me from down there.

Silverwren
09-07-2011, 08:03 AM
The spells I have a problem with are the ones that have multiple variations. Not so much Summon Monster, because you usually do this before a battle, but more like Delayed Blast Fireball, which has two variations.

I don't keep spells like that in my arsenal because in the heat of battle it is difficult to quickly target, hit the corresponding number for the spell and then click on the type I'd like to throw. It's one extra step I have to do and sometimes by the time I actually throw the spell the target has been killed by someone else or has moved away or out of range.

This multi-option component to spells that are cast during battle is something I'd like to see fixed.

budalic
09-07-2011, 08:05 AM
The spells I have a problem with are the ones that have multiple variations. Not so much Summon Monster, because you usually do this before a battle, but more like Delayed Blast Fireball, which has two variations.

I don't keep spells like that in my arsenal because in the heat of battle it is difficult to quickly target, hit the corresponding number for the spell and then click on the type I'd like to throw. It's one extra step I have to do and sometimes by the time I actually throw the spell the target has been killed by someone else or has moved away or out of range.

This multi-option component to spells that are cast during battle is something I'd like to see fixed.

You can drag one of the options you get in a small window to your hotbar.

So, you can totally have DBF (instant) hotkey and separate DBF (trap) hotkey. Same with resist energy, teleport, and similar stuff.

Crann
09-07-2011, 08:10 AM

You can put the particular version you want on a hotbar.

Silverwren
09-07-2011, 08:14 AM
You can drag one of the options you get in a small window to your hotbar.

So, you can totally have DBF (instant) hotkey and separate DBF (trap) hotkey. Same with resist energy, teleprot and similar stuff.

I did not know this. Thank you, I sit corrected.

budalic
09-07-2011, 09:17 AM
I did not know this. Thank you, I sit corrected.

Well, it's easy to miss. I got to level 20 on a wizard before I realized you can use crtl+click to buy stuff. To think I was manually clicking on all spell components before my ~10th shroud... aargh!