PDA

View Full Version : Brother Fracking Nerezza

Qaliya
09-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Okay, the quests leading up to this were no fun, but I did them, even though I was told they couldn't be soloed. But I just cannot get this guy. Tried five times. I cannot kill him clean even doing 200 points of damage at a time with light spells, and there doesn't seem to be any way to figure out which is the real one. Even if I could, I'm not sure I could get him because of the ridiculous regeneration.

I'm an 8/1/1 cleric/rogue/fighter and I usually use an at-level cleric hireling and a summon. I've never encountered anything like this before and am beyond frustrated. Suggestions?

Thanks. :)

Phidius
09-03-2011, 07:39 PM
I say give it one more level, and stack some Divine Punishment on him.

Supposedly, the real guy has more HP, so by watching how much their hit points drop with Maximized+Empowered radiant bursts, you should be able to figure out which is which.

voodoogroves
09-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Bring the level 8-ish WF hireling w/ Wall of Fire instead of the cleric.

Also - once he's spawned don't try to DP him on a cleric - radiant burst / mass cure (which means you may need to wait one more level for best results). Why hit one when you can hit all of them?

Phidius
09-03-2011, 07:45 PM
I was thinking Divine Punishment would be a good way to mark the real one. To be honest, I normally just burst and searing light him.

I also don't solo him, as I want more chances to get the Devouts :D

Corpsebride
09-03-2011, 07:47 PM
One more level and you will have 5th level spells which include mass cure light as well as divine punishment. Don't forget that mass cure light will do decent damage to him, maxxed and empowered. You could also bring in a hireling sorc or wizard that has firewall castable on its bar via clicking. It won't be as good as a player's firewall, but have the hireling cast a few around the room and it should help you kill Nerezza. You could try selecting a cleric/fvs hireling the arcane.

t0r012
09-03-2011, 07:49 PM
someone once told me that if you hard target him when you first encounter him alone you should be able to track the real one.
Never had to try personally as if you put up that you want to farm shadow crypt you will get people coming out of the wood work and 1 or more just needs a firewall and it is game over.

Xenostrata
09-03-2011, 07:54 PM
someone once told me that if you hard target him when you first encounter him alone you should be able to track the real one.
Never had to try personally as if you put up that you want to farm shadow crypt you will get people coming out of the wood work and 1 or more just needs a firewall and it is game over.

This used to be true, but was changed some time ago. You can no longer keep him selected.

I would suggest a long lasting debuff (DP might run out) to mark him, I don't think those are removed/duplicated. Maybe try a weapon of destruction.

t0r012
09-03-2011, 07:57 PM
This used to be true, but was changed some time ago. You can no longer keep him selected.

I would suggest a long lasting debuff (DP might run out) to mark him, I don't think those are removed/duplicated. Maybe try a weapon of destruction.

ahh yeah, it has been a while since I heard that.

yeah it better be a decent lasting debuff, last time I didn't have a firewaller I tried a FoL with a monk and it didn't last through his disappearing act.

Chaos000
09-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Hit him with melfs acid arrow. He'll keep ticking damage even after he disappears

mystafyi
09-03-2011, 08:44 PM
there doesn't seem to be any way to figure out which is the real one.

hit him with a spell effect that will stay on him. you can check what debuffs are on your target with the z key.

shadow_419
09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Bestow Curse spell, works very well to mark the real Nerezza.

Syllph
09-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Okay, the quests leading up to this were no fun, but I did them, even though I was told they couldn't be soloed.

How did you solo shadow Lord? It doesn't seem possible.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Tomb_of_the_Shadow_Lord

Qaliya
09-03-2011, 09:45 PM
Bring the level 8-ish WF hireling w/ Wall of Fire instead of the cleric.

Also - once he's spawned don't try to DP him on a cleric - radiant burst / mass cure (which means you may need to wait one more level for best results). Why hit one when you can hit all of them?

I was using radiant servant when he started cloning. Before that I was hitting him hard with searing light. But it wasn't enough to stop the cloning.

How do I actually use the fire wall? Never used one before.

One more level and you will have 5th level spells which include mass cure light as well as divine punishment. Don't forget that mass cure light will do decent damage to him, maxxed and empowered.

If 200+ point searing lights weren't enough to kill him before he turns into bats, I don't think that will do the trick.

I can confirm that. Wasted a lot of time trying it, thought maybe I had to turn off auto-targeting, nothing worked.

Bestow Curse spell, works very well to mark the real Nerezza.

I tried that as well. Aside from him saving a bunch of times, even when I thought he didn't, I couldn't distinguish the real one. :(

The wiki is useful but there's a lot of incorrect information in the quest descriptions, especially this sequence. I was able to solo all of them (part of my frustration with getting stuck here). Also, the description of this last quest in the wiki says you can get 12 gears following their advice, but you only get 10 on 2 of the 3 they describe at least.

I wonder if telling my hireling to 'defend' him -- which would cause her to cast heals on him -- would help? Maybe she'd still remember him after he returns? Probably not. I'm not sure what I can put on him that will last a long time and he won't keep saving on. People seem to disagree on divine punishment, I guess I can try it next level, but I'm getting mighty tired of this quest. ;)

Does doing it on casual make a difference? I didn't want to wimp out and do that since you get so much XP for the quest, but....

Thanks for all the replies.

Lord_Thanatos
09-03-2011, 09:47 PM

You can use a hireling in order to open the gates and pull the levers that have to be pulled together.

MrCow
09-03-2011, 10:32 PM
As a sole divine with potent casting of Searing Lights and other Positive Energy spells (Cure Serious Wounds, Cure Critical Wounds) Brother Nerreza can be made an easy foe on Normal. He has ~1100 HP (assuming one person in on normal) and Fast Healing 20 (regain 20 HP every 2 seconds). The part of the fight that can become difficult, as you found out, is that he can make shadow copies of himself. However, to some degree you can control that.

Nerezza creates no shadow copy when going back to vampire form when between 81%-100% HP.
Nerezza creates one shadow copy when going back to vampire form when between 61%-80% HP.
Nerezza creates two shadow copies when going back to vampire form when between 41%-60% HP.
Nerezza creates three shadow copies when going back to vampire form when between 21%-40% HP.
Nerezza creates four shadow copies when going back to vampire form when between 1%-20% HP.
Nerezza must wait about 10 seconds after going vampire form to poof away.
Nerezza does not like to poof unless he has less than 90% HP.
Shadow copies have half the total health that Nerezza has, similar statistics and attacks, and will come into battle with the same percentage of health that the real Nerezza has (if Nerezza has 400 HP, the shadow copy has 200 HP).
Shadow copies do not copy the good or bad effects the Real Nerezza has (such as Curse, Destruction, Bane, etc.)
Being shadow copies all have Fast Healing 20 as well, the copies will appear to regain HP at a faster rate (due to less Max HP).
There is no limit to how many shadow copies can be made total.
Shadow copies can't poof into bat form.
Nerezza and the shadow copies can cast Inflict Critical Wounds, Sound Burst, and Bane. Upon going from bat form to vampire form (or being created as a shadow copy) they can cast one randomly determined spell from: Greater Command, Unholy Blight, Dispel Magic. Being the spells are randomly determined this can not be used to determine the real Nerezza.

So this means if you can take Nerezza down from full health to empty in 10 seconds or so, the battle is relatively simple, due to no shadow copies. To achieve this:

Have whatever buffs you desire before entering the fight, likely including Ardor/Brilliance for your offensive casting.
Enter and lightly damage Nerezza until he goes into bat form (you want to damage him enough to coax him away, but not enough that he will make a shadow copy).
Wait about 4 seconds.
When Nerezza appears burn him down. Continue to cast Searing Light, Cure Critical Wounds, Cure Serious Wounds over and over. After 3 full rotations (9 or 10 seconds) this will kill Nerezza before he has time to poof away and make the battle deadly.

For video footage of a divine taking Nerezza down in a similar manner you can view here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ_EWXavN68), from 9:00 to 9:25.

Postumus
09-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Nerezza has a thing for tricks and games!

Try a wizard hireling. As soon as you enter, spam firewalls in the light, park the hireling, sit in the firewalls and blast away with searing lights when he's at a distance, and radiant bursts when he gets close.

Max empowered heals work too.

He'll clone a few times, but the clones get weaker the more damage they take and the firewalls + radiant bursts should do it.

Qaliya
09-04-2011, 07:03 AM
MrCow: Your knowledge is impressive. And I appreciate you taking the time to share it all with me.

I did watch that video. I don't think I can lay down the amount of damage that person did, though. I do think one mistake was being too slow by using searing light and radiant bursts but not following up with cures in the meantime while waiting for the cooldowns. But I still don't think I can do ~900 points of damage in 10 seconds. I watched that video and the person in the crypt was doing far more damage than I do.

Maybe I do have to do the firewall. I know firewalls are a "standard tactic" in DDO but I'm still unclear on how exactly I use them, though.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

t0r012
09-04-2011, 07:15 AM
Can I suggest getting over your aversion to grouping?
you are making things entirely too difficult on yourself by only soloing.

Solo runs of tough quests can be done well when you have tons of experience and banked up twink gear. Other than that it can be just an exercise in futility and frustration.

if you don't like PuGs , hop in to a guild or even better I would suggest getting some friends or look for like minded people here in the forms and make a static group.

Sure you 'can' solo a lot of content but the game was designed and balanced for groups.

Qaliya
09-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Can I suggest getting over your aversion to grouping?

You can, but it probably won't work. :)

I have done some grouping, and to be honest, didn't much care for it. Chaos with people running in different directions, stranger barking orders at me, nobody bothering to go slow enough to do optionals... frankly, I am only going to do it where I have to.

MrkGrismer
09-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Tab and mass cure, and click your hireling's mass cure. Repeat until dead.

Easier with a cleric, easier now with a melee if you have a disruption weapon, esp metalline disruption (maybe or silver but I can never keep track of whether it is silver or cold iron)

Postumus
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
MrCow: Your knowledge is impressive. And I appreciate you taking the time to share it all with me.

I did watch that video. I don't think I can lay down the amount of damage that person did, though. I do think one mistake was being too slow by using searing light and radiant bursts but not following up with cures in the meantime while waiting for the cooldowns. But I still don't think I can do ~900 points of damage in 10 seconds. I watched that video and the person in the crypt was doing far more damage than I do.

Maybe I do have to do the firewall. I know firewalls are a "standard tactic" in DDO but I'm still unclear on how exactly I use them, though.

Thanks again for all the helpful replies.

with a superior radiance clicky, an ardor clicky, and max+empower on, you should be able to alternate between 200+ point searing lights and 200+ cures. Just cycling between those two spells, plus a radiant burst or two, you should be able to do 1000 point of damage easily on your own.

The wizard hireling's firewall is just insurance.

der_kluge
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I feel your pain. My bard/barbarian was unable to solo him on casual, even though I was mopping the floor with everything else in the crypt.

Tried it several times to no avail.

I did notice that Nerezza doesn't really do anything once his copies arrive. Those are the ones that tend to go into melee. I noticed Nerezza mostly just doing nothing behind them.

But ignoring the copies can be kind of dangerous, because they'll chew you up if you ignore them.

MrCow
09-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Easier with a cleric, easier now with a melee if you have a disruption weapon, esp metalline disruption (maybe or silver but I can never keep track of whether it is silver or cold iron)

Brother Nerezza has a large mix of DR types, just to point out:
On normal - DR 10/Silver, DR 10/Magic, DR 2/Adamantine
On hard - DR 12/Silver, DR 12/Magic, DR 6/Adamantine
On elite - DR 15/Silver, DR 15/Magic, DR 9/Adamantine

MrkGrismer
09-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Brother Nerezza has a large mix of DR types, just to point out:
On normal - DR 10/Silver, DR 10/Magic, DR 2/Adamantine
On hard - DR 12/Silver, DR 12/Magic, DR 6/Adamantine
On elite - DR 15/Silver, DR 15/Magic, DR 9/Adamantine

Ah, so metalline would be best in that case ;)

BrightAsh
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
The wiki is useful but there's a lot of incorrect information in the quest descriptions, especially this sequence. I was able to solo all of them (part of my frustration with getting stuck here). Also, the description of this last quest in the wiki says you can get 12 gears following their advice, but you only get 10 on 2 of the 3 they describe at least.

This is not true, you might have forgotten to pick some underwater chests? i ran the crypt 8 times last night, all 3 different routes all delivered us the extra gears. Plundered the big one 8 out of 8

Qaliya
09-07-2011, 02:38 PM
This is not true, you might have forgotten to pick some underwater chests? i ran the crypt 8 times last night, all 3 different routes all delivered us the extra gears. Plundered the big one 8 out of 8

Hmm. I was pretty sure it had said the underwater rooms didn't have chests. I'll check again. Thanks very much for the tip.

BrightAsh
09-09-2011, 05:27 AM
Hmm. I was pretty sure it had said the underwater rooms didn't have chests. I'll check again. Thanks very much for the tip.

They do. If you jump inderwater, press backspace like there's no tomorrow whilst turning around, you'll see the chest popping up