PDA

View Full Version : Best PUG server(s)?

GoMeansGreen
09-02-2011, 06:48 PM
Casual player looking for casual play with little downtime from pugging...

I hear servers are generally similar, but some differences... can you post a little note with a difference your favorite server has and why it is your favorite, plus a rating for PUGging on a scale of 1-10?

thank you

I will try to compile results as they come in
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

Thelanis: 1
Khyber: 4
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

off to a rollin start

so far I agree with khyber,

and found nothing on orien,

thelanis was a no go, but i am just rolling 1's, actually had 2 sittin in rags in korthos starting location, no response,

ghallanda was no go, one mp group;

cannith was a go, but just barely... I started soloing, then got a buddy, then got a group... ended up doing an allnighter, elite through mp and beyond... eventually it petered out... seemed to be a 'late' server, maybe pacific?

argonnessen, no go, but odd hours, have to check later

sarlona, wow, chinese... maybe the odd hours, couple of snowyside 1's, some sunnys in 'underground complex', island, i think.. stopping ? could be good, save for the chinese... hmm, gotta figure it is too much chinese for me, have to try

and that is it, though there is one more, it says (de) so i figure not... maybe later ... wayfinder (de) ... only 3 groups listed, one was on korthos island

scottmike0
09-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Casual player looking for casual play with little downtime from pugging...

I hear servers are generally similar, but some differences... can you post a little note with a difference your favorite server has and why it is your favorite, plus a rating for PUGging on a scale of 1-10?

thank you

I will try to compile results as they come in

it seems that the kyber server has most pug's in the server, i go to orien i get insane lag + i look at the group list and i see very few, i also been to others and still the same it seems.

The_Brave2
09-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Never a shortage of PUG's on khyber.

JasonJi72
09-02-2011, 07:03 PM
I also hear there is some interesting drama on Kyber. Two perks in one! :)

Diyon
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Come make more PUGs on Khyber so I don't have to! =P

BOgre
09-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Thelanis
Minimum drama
Maximum successful completions
My play time is late night, after 12am EST, and I rarely find the LFM panel without something I can run.
Friendly, accommodating, professional, everything you'd want.

GoMeansGreen
09-03-2011, 07:39 AM
looks like the shortlist is it... khyber, and maybe some other, depending on your playtime

please do contribute your opinion, though, and i will continue to tally whatever data accumulates

Diyon
09-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I will say for Khyber, no matter what time of day it is, there is almost always some group at the appropriate level you can join. If not, give it a few minutes typically. There are some slower times, but almost always something.

Xenostrata
09-03-2011, 09:10 AM
I play on khyber, and have to say the number if failed PuGs is relatively low.

Then again, I've heard that Thelanis is a land of Unicorns and Butterflies that carry everyone to magical completions in carriages made out of random garden vegetables.

Something about a server merge in the past means you'll find a wide variety of players on Thelanis, making it easier to find a helpful guild/group. Khyber seems to house the absolute top notch of players, but also the insane ones, and the people where those groups overlap can be interesting to run with.

Diyon
09-03-2011, 09:13 AM
I play on khyber, and have to say the number if failed PuGs is relatively low.

Then again, I've heard that Thelanis is a land of Unicorns and Butterflies that carry everyone to magical completions in carriages made out of random garden vegetables.

Oh, but when we fail, we fail hard! (and if you're going to fail, it's fun to out in a blaze of glory and/or drama)

Xenostrata
09-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Oh, but when we fail, we fail hard! (and if you're going to fail, it's fun to out in a blaze of glory and/or drama)

True. Remember that sabotage ToD we ran? :D

Neverwinterer
09-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Come to Khyber!!! I don't know if our server is the best, but we have the best loot drama around!
And remember BYOP (bring your own popcorn).

Now more seriously, it varies from day to day, but soon you'll recognise the good raid leaders. I've met many great players/raid leaders often enough as to keep my toon busy all night long. :)

Diyon
09-03-2011, 09:22 AM
True. Remember that sabotage ToD we ran? :D

Of course, but we were trying to make that fail, and everyone else knew that two of us were (and very quickly, us specifically).

I couldn't stop cackling between the "DON'T rez Wyl!!!!!!" with the rez scrolls in my hand and the "Kill both of them at the same time!!!!"

We should run another one of those. But ya, they might have to ban rez use from the saboteurs. Then it will just be a matter of grabbing a few of the shadows aggro early on in part 2.

Chaos000
09-03-2011, 09:30 AM

Dunno, sometimes the quality of a pug really depends on the guild they are associated with.

GoMeansGreen
09-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Dunno, sometimes the quality of a pug really depends on the guild they are associated with.

pug is pick up group? so, supposedly random jokers, but there are those who guild up to pug. Interesting that the guilds have such character. Why do the ones with stupid names have to invite me and not one with a cool name?

It is like the opposite of role-play, the people act like their guild, or just the nature of people to congregate with like-minded. A way to filter guilds, pug em.

IDK, i guess 'favor runners' is so OOC it just says 'so what' to me, or 'dark slimers' or whatever dark xxx ... there are no 'evil' PCs in this game, though there seem to be evil puggers

I suppose I just wonder at the people who decline to party, or refuse my request to join theirs. Whatsupwiththat?

Diyon
09-03-2011, 09:57 AM
I suppose I just wonder at the people who decline to party, or refuse my request to join theirs. Whatsupwiththat?

You'll find that people generally consider random invites to be very rude, and many will blacklist/squelch people for it. If you aren't going to put up an LFM and wait for people to apply, then at the very least, send a message to them first asking if they would like to join. Even then some find that rude if you don't know the person, and you're probably better off with and LFM.

As to refusing your request, that could be anything from you don't meet what they are looking for for their group (in other words, please, please, please read the LFM comments before clicking join on the group) or perhaps they don't like the look of your class split or your build (sometime people will MyDDO someone before accepting, far from universal, but it does occur). Someone who has a lvl 2 cleric/1 wizard/1 paladin is likely to be declined from a group (I'll accept crazy stuff like that, but only accept it twice if the person proves they know what they are doing with it) and at higher lvls people will get declined for not having heavy fort and heavily neglecting HP.

That's my best guess as to "Whatsupwiththat?" without having more information.

Edit: Also, some people are just stupid.

Xenostrata
09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Also, some people are just stupid.

This.

One downside of khyber is that we still have a plethora of people who are unwilling to accept that
• multiclassing isn't always gimp
• casters are DPS now
• casters are still CC capable
• it's not always the healer's fault.

These people aren't leading the majority of LFMs, but you'll see an LFM with "dps only" and only the fighter and barbarian icons left all too often.

GoMeansGreen
09-03-2011, 11:56 PM
yeah, that is a good way to segregate yourself from others... i really don't want to play with people who are that obsessive, though at higher levels the obsessiveness becomes more important, im sure

and of course I want to make a valuable contribution to the team and not be considered the 5th wheel, but, it is just a game... shrug, don't need em if they cant be open minded

two sides to every story

my least favorite party is the one with the uber zerg leader(s) and the 'what happened to soandso' .. he got killed.. oh well, someone wanna go back.. nah, we fine, lets go, see if you can get another... >drop<

Or... "hey, im lost, which way?" ... no answer... "hey"... whatever, <recall>

Chaos000
09-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Pick up groups tend to be pretty consistent across servers in my experience.

Players will play the way they want to play and you *will* encounter rogues that can't find trap boxes but will grab aggro and take damage consistently, healers that won't spend money on wand/scrolls and blow all or most of his mana on the first fight, rangers and paladins that don't buy/use wands, barbarian's who won't spend money on potions but will run into a fight with a sliver of health, casters who won't buff, bards don't consistently use bard song... etc.

On Thelanis there are certain guilds that I consistently see when joining a pug that lets me know they're going to die once or twice during the quest irregardless of how the rest of the group performs.

caution
09-04-2011, 06:33 AM
I would normally vote Khyber and the difference is that there is less "exclusive" guilds more than anything other factor.

LordMond63
09-04-2011, 04:51 PM
While I love Orien, I just can't recommend it for someone with limited time to play- not because the population isn't friendly but because, compared to other servers, our population isn't very populous. In other words, we're good people but there ain't all that many of us.

GoMeansGreen
09-05-2011, 09:31 PM
there is a sort of masochism in dying in a blaze of 'glory'... and a sadism in some way... like the overly bossy group leader? sir talkstomuch?

interesting how personalities come out

I've been playing almost non-stop on khyber for a couple of days now... after first 3 levels, maybe 4, I had to make my own pugs, which went very well, generally... got all E on harbor list

thanks...

I think you can still play any server, pugs aren't the all that, but i like it
finding a healer is the big deal (or knowing how to use your hling)

stille_nacht
09-05-2011, 09:46 PM
khyber has the most LFMs in my experience, and ive played on all the servers.

Diyon
09-06-2011, 10:17 AM
there is a sort of masochism in dying in a blaze of 'glory'... and a sadism in some way... like the overly bossy group leader? sir talkstomuch?

interesting how personalities come out

I've been playing almost non-stop on khyber for a couple of days now... after first 3 levels, maybe 4, I had to make my own pugs, which went very well, generally... got all E on harbor list

thanks...

I think you can still play any server, pugs aren't the all that, but i like it
finding a healer is the big deal (or knowing how to use your hling)

Well as to the "blaze of glory" thing, I just find that if the group is going to fail, it might as well be fun. That, and then there's the slight chance you may actually pull it off and succeed. And it is a sweet thing to pull a victory from the jaws of defeat.