PDA

View Full Version : Let Boosts Regenerate Over Time

Khurse
08-31-2011, 08:23 PM
Would maybe help melee vs casters if the various action boosts (which are obviously mostly melee based) regenerated slowly over time for those long dungeons (and the upcoming Boss HP boosts).

Was thinking something along the lines of 1/minute.

Thoughts?

HarveyMilk
08-31-2011, 08:26 PM
Seems like it's a rather large mechanic change that would require much more balancing consideration. Could be fun though.

TheDearLeader
08-31-2011, 08:27 PM
1/Minute seems a bit short. I'd prefer it to be an item-based regeration, rather than automatically granted to anyone and everyone.

Keep in mind that certain boost-y things are a minute Duration(Divine Might, Kensei Surge), and would be pretty much infinite at that point.

Bodic
08-31-2011, 08:35 PM
the boss hp boost ws to increse the challenge.

Granted its effect is just and maybe more resources. More an endurance than difficulty.

The power creep is the big issue. People have TR3+ toons thaat have 5 years of playtime.
Knowing what is coming aroud every corner and the better gear for the same old quest that is less a challenge now without gear pre or anything added since.

MrTops
08-31-2011, 08:39 PM
Divine might is based on turn undeads, which a radiant servant already gets back at 1 every two minutes (but not a Paladin).

I'm with the notion of regenerating action boosts in the same way Smite regenerates (I think that's one every 90 seconds?).

I'm also happy with 1 regen a minute.

It's currently lot of AP for not much use. With the regen you won't have to save it just for boss fights.

hit_fido
08-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Wont help melee vs casters, but increasing boost use would be nice, starting with "fixing" items that are supposed to increase your number of boosts.

t0r012
08-31-2011, 08:44 PM
what about melee that do't get boosts? say monks? who happen to already be behind the damage curve by a good bit.

TheDearLeader
what about melee that do't get boosts? say monks? who happen to already be behind the damage curve by a good bit.

I loled. Good joke bro.

licho
Would maybe help melee vs casters if the various action boosts (which are obviously mostly melee based) regenerated slowly over time for those long dungeons (and the upcoming Boss HP boosts).

Was thinking something along the lines of 1/minute.

Thoughts?

Hmm im against, the managment of action boost is part of resources managment.
If you run out of this you are srewed. Try better next time.
Also there are ap enchamtnets and items granting extra uses, if it will just renegerate there will be less point in picking them.

However as a item... why not. There are items for recovering songs or sp, so why not AB.
Also maybe in form of echoes of power, if you fall to 0 you get 1 after minute, but no more. So you can still play your toy but not as much.

Sidenote: it will be also cool if AB will recover in public areas. Yes i have toon with speed boost ands not fun, when i used all my stack to get to party faster to start quest.

aristarchus1000
08-31-2011, 08:53 PM
1/minute seems too fast, but something like bard songs... Every 3-5 minutes would seem good. Long enough that nobody is just going to just stand there and wait, and not fast enough for any given fight.

Tying it to an item is not bad either. How about stamina pots that restore boosts and rages?

TheDearLeader
08-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Tying it to an item is not bad either. How about stamina pots that restore boosts and rages?

DDO seems more like the Apple Store every day:
There's an App for that.. err, Pot for that. Sorry.

Requiro
08-31-2011, 08:54 PM
/not signed for passive ability

But very good idea for Boost Ability for casters:

Something like:

Class Spell Point Reduction I (1 AP): Grants –15% less SP when casting
Class Spell Point Reduction II (2 AP): Grants –20% less SP when casting
Class Spell Point Reduction III (3 AP): Grants –25% less SP when casting
Class Spell Point Reduction IV (4 AP): Grants –30% less SP when casting
Duration: 40 second, Colddown: 60 second, 5 uses per rest.

or/and

Class Spell Point Refresh I (1 AP): Regenerate 2% SP
Class Spell Point Refresh II (2 AP): Regenerate 3% SP
Class Spell Point Refresh III (3 AP): Regenerate 4% SP
Class Spell Point Refresh IV (4 AP): Regenerate 5% SP
Duration: 20 second, Colddown: 30 second, 5 uses per rest.

Cam_Neely
08-31-2011, 08:56 PM
I often see many posts arguing in favor or against boosting characters. How it will effect balance, how it will be coded ect...

But I never see the basic question necessary before any of that discussion is had.

Why do characters need a boost? We are already overpowered vs the baddies. Boost the baddies tactics and AI before you boost characters more.

TheDearLeader
08-31-2011, 08:58 PM
Boost the baddies tactics and AI before you boost characters more.

They did.

Their newest tactic was to go to the AH and buy a Con +6 and Fortification item.

licho
08-31-2011, 09:01 PM
/not signed for passive ability

But very good idea for Boost Ability for casters:

Something like:

Class Spell Point Reduction I (1 AP): Grants –15% less SP when casting
Class Spell Point Reduction II (2 AP): Grants –20% less SP when casting
Class Spell Point Reduction III (3 AP): Grants –25% less SP when casting
Class Spell Point Reduction IV (4 AP): Grants –30% less SP when casting
Duration: 40 second, Colddown: 60 second, 5 uses per rest.

or/and

Class Spell Point Refresh I (1 AP): Regenerate 2% SP
Class Spell Point Refresh II (2 AP): Regenerate 3% SP
Class Spell Point Refresh III (3 AP): Regenerate 4% SP
Class Spell Point Refresh IV (4 AP): Regenerate 5% SP
Duration: 20 second, Colddown: 30 second, 5 uses per rest.

Roftl.
This idea has potencial, its Drama potencial, so more ideas:

Penetracion boost +1/+2/+3/+4 SP
DC boost +1/+2/+3/+4 DC
DMG boost +10/+15/+20/+25 dmg
Spellcatsing time +10/+15/+20/+25 self explained.

I suppose the game with this will be real blast to play.

Tip: Roll for your detect irony skill.

Why do characters need a boost?

For me its not about poweh ( i play elves so no power to speak about) its about activity. Clikies, and among them haste boost are fun to play with. In the same way its nice click trip/stun/sunder/smiteevil...

Vellrad
08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
Its not bad, but IMO speed should be based on max number of boosts (the more, the faster it comes back, so more AP boost enhancement is not ignored by everyone).

Khurse
08-31-2011, 09:59 PM
Based on equipment might not be a bad idea, just something I thought about when looking at all teh SP regen items my caster has.

Actually migh make more sense as an item, and I wasn't really considering the 1/minute for ones that last a minute, 1 every 2 minutes might be far better.