PDA

View Full Version : Drow Asassin Advice

noobinberg
08-31-2011, 12:12 AM
Hello, I've been playing for about 18 months. I've built a so so impressive Halfling Rogue. Problem is at level 20 this rogue has incredibly low DPS. I've started on a new build. I'm at level 13 and everything seems to be going good. I can't seem to use any same level Hirelings and them keep aggro though. I'd like some advice on keeping the build leveling for DPS at level 20. I was using a guide to choose feats and such but had to reinstall my OS and now the bookmark for the guide I was using is lost. Does anyone have a good link to DPS builds for a Drow Rogue Assassin? Thanks!~

blerkington
08-31-2011, 12:28 AM
Hi,

Not sure I've completely understood the problem here. Are you saying that you keep on pulling aggro from your hirelings and other party members? I'm assuming that as a rogue you don't actually want aggro, so you can make best use of your sneak attack and assassinate.

If getting aggro is the problem, you can do a few different things. One is to use threat reduction gear and class enhancements. The second is being careful about what you attack; let aggro set on someone else, then move in when you can finish the enemy off before it switches to you. Thirdly, if you don't have a Radiance 2 rapier, work on getting one. It will allow you to sneak attack monsters whose aggro you have (if they are vulnerable to a sneak attack).

You said that your DPS seemed very low. If you wanted to improve it, you do that with a strength build instead of a dex build, including power attack and improved critical in your feat selections, a seeker item, and using the right weapons (good base damage, crit profile, and magical effects like bane, smiting, banishing, disruption, for extra damage). Some people splash other classes with rogue to improve DPS; monk and fighter seem to work well, but that costs you a really nice capstone.

Not sure how much effort you've sunk into your new toon, but there is an argument for TRing your old one into a STR build rogue. You will have his gear and more build points to use. I'm not saying finesse rogues are bad, but the other approach might suit you better and you'll have access to nice past life feats too.

Good luck with it.

ReaperAlexEU
08-31-2011, 05:53 AM
you can use diplomacy to try shedding aggro. its not perfect as it only moves you to the bottom of the aggro list, and if you are the only person to be on that list, then you're still going to get hit. that will need full points in to be effective, so at lvl13 its probably too late to start now.

bluff can also help but it only works on one target.

for build advice tell us what your starting stats at character creation were, what stat you have pumped every 4 levels and what feat choices you have made (fred in house J can help work out which were choices and which were freebies)

red_cardinal
08-31-2011, 06:10 AM
The best bet would be to get 2 levels of fighter and two toughness feats. Also, greater false life item and Minos helm. Boost your HP to max. Then, if you get aggro, a hireling can heal you. You could still land assasinate on epic if you started with 16 int and if you take 2 levels of fighter.

I didn't have any great gear, except those mentioned. Also, if can get your hands on the 2 polycurse daggers you could get blinded mob here and there and also a chance for deception (mob turns away). I used these daggers on epic. The bad part about it is that you need Sustaining symbiont so the curses don't get applied to you. If you cant get it, buy 100 remove curse pots. It works nicely. Also, Turbulent Epee x 2 is a nice way to go.

noobinberg
08-31-2011, 06:27 PM
I'm Really not concerned with my aggro. I only get it when I run with Hirelings or lower/same levels (which I rarely do.) I am only interested in building a pure Rogue at this point. I may splash future builds but not now.

I just found that my level 20 Halfling Rogue seemed to hit pretty lightly. In the beginning I was building a trapper. In the end I learned that all those trapping choices were not needed in groups anymore. I could've used those choices to build a better assassin and compensated with gear. So, that's where I'm at now.

Level 13 and got a pretty good hit (60-80 HP regular and 100-120 HP on Critical) when running with higher level players (lvl 15-16 works best to keep aggro off.) My hit on the practice dummy or when not sneak attacking is 15-25 HP. Assassinate kills 70-80% on the average enemy but not well on the higher CR enemies.

Like I stated early, I WAS following a guide but can no longer find it (wiped my favorites out.) I am looking for an easy to follow guide to build this Assassin to level 20 and be a viable group member for raids and end game quests.

for build advice tell us what your starting stats at character creation were, what stat you have pumped every 4 levels and what feat choices you have made

STATS:
STR 14 Base used +1 Tome---19 After equipment/Tome Bonus
DEX 21 Base No Tome yet---27 After Equipment Bonus (This was the only ability raised during leveling)
CON 12 Base No Tome yet---17 After Equipment Bonus
INT 16 Base used +1 Tome---17 after Tome Bonus
WIS 8 Base used +1 Tome---14 After Equipment/Tome Bonus
CHA 10 Base used +2 Tome---12 After Tome Bonus

202 Hit Points equipped.

Chosen Feats:
Crippling Strike
Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons
Improved 2WF
Opportunist
Toughness
Weapon Finesse

Current Equipment/Weapons: (Still looking for a decent pair of Rapiers)

+3 Impact Light Mace of Backstabbing (+3 to Attack and +5 to Damage on Sneak Attack)
+2 Acid Shortsword of Backstabbing (+3 to Attack and +5 to Damage on Sneak Attack)
Range: +2 Icy Burst Returning Throwing Dagger of Backstabbing (+3 to Attack and +5 to Damage on Sneak Attack)
Snakeskin Vest (+5 AC, +10 Search, +10 Spot, Proof Against Poison, Greater Nimbleness)
+4 STR Bracers
+5 DEX Ring
+25% Striders of Springing +3
+10 Escape Gloves
Proof against Poison Ring of Spell Resistance (17)
Belt of Greater False Life
Cloak of Shadows (+7 Hide, +7 Move Silently, +2 Protection)
Sventusk's Gem (No, I don't know why I wear it)
+5 CON Necklace
+5 WIS Hat

Inventory has the usual change up equipment/weapons and lots of potions/wands. But that is what I run with mostly.

unbongwah
08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Fairly standard DEX-based rogue. Most would've told you to go STR-based instead, but too late to change that now. For your last two regular feats take GTWF & Power Atk; for your next rogue feat take Imp Evasion and take whatever you want for your last one.

As for gear, I don't see a Heavy Fortification item; that should be your first priority, IMHO. You can get a free Heavy Fort necklace from Relic of a Sovereign Past (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=284046); if you have Necro 4, Minos Legens (http://ddowiki.com/page/Minos_Legens) is practically a must-have since it provides Heavy Fort + Toughness. If you have Harbinger of Madness, I would definitely go for a pair of Turbulent Epees (http://ddowiki.com/page/Turbulent_Epee); they're s a good substitute for MoPG weapons.

Kmnh
08-31-2011, 07:10 PM
The best advice would be "friends don't let friends build drow assassins".

There is nothing you can do on a drow assassin that a halfling doesn't do better. Even a 28 point one.

Starting with less than 14 con is a terrible mistake - you need 450+ hp to survive a disintegrate on epic quests, and 12 con will leave you short of that.

What kind of rogue was your halfling? was it the dex/int gimp that plagues these forums, or DPS-focused STR build?

LR the halfling into a str-based khopesh user, take all to-hit and damage enhancements you can, and laugh at the sillyness of your old, gimpy build :)

Here's a nice build for a halfling: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=309669

I play a weird Half-orc assassin that I built to abuse heavy picks on pre-u9 epics, and later converted into a Khopesh user. It's public on myddo: http://my.ddo.com/character/cannith/kmn/

It's a really fun build when you have the gear, but I wouldn't recommend other people to go that way :)

noobinberg
08-31-2011, 08:34 PM
What kind of rogue was your halfling? was it the dex/int gimp that plagues these forums, or DPS-focused STR build?

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/kuranjahsin/

noobinberg
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
As for gear, I don't see a Heavy Fortification item; that should be your first priority, IMHO

I do have a heavy fort belt but that's waiting for 1 more point of UMD so I can use it. It's a different race required belt.

noobinberg
08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
LR the halfling into a str-based khopesh user, take all to-hit and damage enhancements you can, and laugh at the sillyness of your old, gimpy build :)

LR....is that "lesser reincarnation?" I don't know how to do that. I think there are quests I need to finish in order to do that too and getting someone to play in a group with my level 20 is like pulling teeth sometimes.

I was hoping on gaining enough favor to do a 32 point build but the grind gets to me sometimes. With 32 point build I want to use a halfling again. But there are SO many suggestions (Conflicting) I really don't know what to do. I'll check out the links provided. I would think that Drow's make good assassins but, maybe I've been reading too many fantasy novels...LOL!

Thank you.

TheDearLeader
08-31-2011, 08:51 PM
LR....is that "lesser reincarnation?" I don't know how to do that. I think there are quests I need to finish in order to do that too and getting someone to play in a group with my level 20 is like pulling teeth sometimes.

I was hoping on gaining enough favor to do a 32 point build but the grind gets to me sometimes. With 32 point build I want to use a halfling again. But there are SO many suggestions (Conflicting) I really don't know what to do. I'll check out the links provided. I would think that Drow's make good assassins but, maybe I've been reading too many fantasy novels...LOL!

Thank you.

Lesser Reincarnation is done via a Heart in the DDO Store. You don't need any questing/flagging, just need to spend some points.

I'd suggest asking someone to help you do it. I'd also suggest unlocking 32-point ahead of time.

Or, you could just TR when you get to 20. Regardless of point builds unlocked, a 1st time TR is 34 point, or 30 point in the case of Drow.

Kmnh
09-01-2011, 07:02 AM
http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/kuranjahsin/

Oh, you don't seem to have much gear on that character! Keep working on it, it will get better :)

Run the 5 flagging quests on Vale of twilight - go crazy, you will need about 7 runs through each - make a pair of greensteel base weapons, then charge them up to second tier. People will give you small and medium ingredients if you ask nicely.

Run Hound of Xoriat and A Vision Of Destruction a few times. Tharne's goggles will add 8 points of damage to each of your swings. The breastplate of destruction will add the "destruction" effect on all your attacks.

Bufo_Alvarius
09-01-2011, 07:30 AM
STATS:
STR 14 Base used +1 Tome---19 After equipment/Tome Bonus
DEX 21 Base No Tome yet---27 After Equipment Bonus (This was the only ability raised during leveling)
CON 12 Base No Tome yet---17 After Equipment Bonus
INT 16 Base used +1 Tome---17 after Tome Bonus
WIS 8 Base used +1 Tome---14 After Equipment/Tome Bonus
CHA 10 Base used +2 Tome---12 After Tome Bonus

202 Hit Points equipped.

Chosen Feats:
Crippling Strike
Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons
Improved 2WF
Opportunist
Toughness
Weapon Finesse

Current Equipment/Weapons: (Still looking for a decent pair of Rapiers)

+3 Impact Light Mace of Backstabbing (+3 to Attack and +5 to Damage on Sneak Attack)
+2 Acid Shortsword of Backstabbing (+3 to Attack and +5 to Damage on Sneak Attack)
Range: +2 Icy Burst Returning Throwing Dagger of Backstabbing (+3 to Attack and +5 to Damage on Sneak Attack)
Snakeskin Vest (+5 AC, +10 Search, +10 Spot, Proof Against Poison, Greater Nimbleness)
+4 STR Bracers
+5 DEX Ring
+25% Striders of Springing +3
+10 Escape Gloves
Proof against Poison Ring of Spell Resistance (17)
Belt of Greater False Life
Cloak of Shadows (+7 Hide, +7 Move Silently, +2 Protection)
Sventusk's Gem (No, I don't know why I wear it)
+5 CON Necklace
+5 WIS Hat

Inventory has the usual change up equipment/weapons and lots of potions/wands. But that is what I run with mostly.

For a first life you look to be on the right track. Int is a bit high for my tastes but with the right gear your assasinate dc will be pretty solid. Heavy fort is your first priority imo.

Look me up on Orien if you have any questions.

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/shoeboogie/

Miow
09-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Mooooarrr hp, moooaarrr strenght, less dexterity, less int mooooarrr con....i have a strenght dwarven rogue with DAs i have a 39 dc to assassinate when i equip my intell gear. Also i can do epic traps/sneaking no problems. I now hit 587 hp with rage/double madstone

red_cardinal
09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
The best advice would be "friends don't let friends build drow assassins".

There is nothing you can do on a drow assassin that a halfling doesn't do better. Even a 28 point one.

Starting with less than 14 con is a terrible mistake - you need 450+ hp to survive a disintegrate on epic quests, and 12 con will leave you short of that.

Now, now... Don't get carried away. Dex built Drow assassin can land Assassinate on epics starting with 16 INT. Yes, hp isn't great, but with 2 fighter, you'd get toughness feats and still be better assassin than your weird rogue. :)

Also, going DEX as assassin also goes great with move silently/hide which Drow get plenty. Also, a drow assassin can be a better trap monkey than a halfling due to racial bonuses to spot and search. Even with 18r/2fighter I did epic traps on Chains of flame and assasinate landed here and there. I had 500hp+ with 4 toughness feats, IC:Piercing and the whole TWF line.

And to OP: stay drow. Next time you build a rogue, take 2 levels of fighter for extra feats.

Miow
09-01-2011, 08:33 AM
he is losing alot of dps by not having 2 move levels of rogue and the capstone which is awesome.

TheDearLeader
09-01-2011, 03:34 PM
I would argue against the 2 levels of Fighter. Go pure or go home - Rogue Deadly Shadow is one of the best capstones in game, and is in fact best on a TWF Assassin.

As for race? Meh, I'd go Human and Khopesh. But to each their own.

Kinerd
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
The training dummy is not a good way of measuring rogue DPS, because it is immune to sneak attacks. Even Dex-based rogues do good DPS if compared like to like with other classes.

The first thing I would recommend is to get much better weapons. Maces are bad, and the one you have is really bad. Backstabbings do not stack, so you only need one. Your shortsword is serviceable, but don't get attached to it. As mentioned, Tharne's Goggles is a much better place to have Backstabbing, leaving you free to have another DPS enhancement on a weapon. It will take a long time to make elite green steel weapons, but running Shroud is a good source of resources anyway.

It is crucial to have big league DR bypassers, even if you have to resort to maces. Silver & good, cold iron & good, adamantine.

Very strongly disagree with splashing 2 fighter on a rogue. You're giving up 5d6 SA damage and a rogue feat, nothing you get back from fighter will be worth it.

Kmnh
09-01-2011, 07:12 PM
Now, now... Don't get carried away. Dex built Drow assassin can land Assassinate on epics starting with 16 INT. Yes, hp isn't great, but with 2 fighter, you'd get toughness feats and still be better assassin than your weird rogue. :)

Also, going DEX as assassin also goes great with move silently/hide which Drow get plenty. Also, a drow assassin can be a better trap monkey than a halfling due to racial bonuses to spot and search. Even with 18r/2fighter I did epic traps on Chains of flame and assasinate landed here and there. I had 500hp+ with 4 toughness feats, IC:Piercing and the whole TWF line.

And to OP: stay drow. Next time you build a rogue, take 2 levels of fighter for extra feats.

My "weird rogue" is one of the best on my server, it will usually kill 4 or 5 mobs in the time it takes for the assassinate cooldown to reload. I never liked the mechanics on that enhancement to begin with.

I don't have good advice for assassinate-based rogues, I never played one and I don't like the idea. The OP is asking for better DPS, not assassinate.

If you want max DPS, go str based and use Khopeshes. Aside from that, it's all about gear :)

noobinberg
09-01-2011, 09:32 PM
So, it's looking like: "get better gear for ur lvl 20 and TR." I can do that. Planned on getting another point card anyway. Now, I wannna find a good build guide for a 34 point Halfling rogue. By the time I'm ready to TR my Drow will be level 20 and good for loot farming. My new build will be very well equipped.

noobinberg
09-04-2011, 04:35 PM
I'm going to focus on creating green steel backstabbing rapiers or shortswords first. I've looked up a couple sites on greensteel crafting but they seem a little confusing. Anybody know of a good "Crafting for Dummies" site or 2?

~sumptingwong
09-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Hello, I've been playing for about 18 months. I've built a so so impressive Halfling Rogue. Problem is at level 20 this rogue has incredibly low DPS. I've started on a new build. I'm at level 13 and everything seems to be going good. I can't seem to use any same level Hirelings and them keep aggro though. I'd like some advice on keeping the build leveling for DPS at level 20. I was using a guide to choose feats and such but had to reinstall my OS and now the bookmark for the guide I was using is lost. Does anyone have a good link to DPS builds for a Drow Rogue Assassin? Thanks!~

Halflings get halfling guile rasing dps, use haste boosts, make it strength biased, and you should be golden for good dps :P

TheDearLeader
09-04-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm going to focus on creating green steel backstabbing rapiers or shortswords first. I've looked up a couple sites on greensteel crafting but they seem a little confusing. Anybody know of a good "Crafting for Dummies" site or 2?

Those websites are supposed to be the "Crafting for Dummies" sites.. -.-

What are you trying to make exactly? I would personally suggest Rad II Rapier Main Hand, Lit II Rapier Off Hand.

noobinberg
09-04-2011, 05:21 PM
Those websites are supposed to be the "Crafting for Dummies" sites.. -.-

What are you trying to make exactly? I would personally suggest Rad II Rapier Main Hand, Lit II Rapier Off Hand.

haha....I guess I'll need a site for "special" dummies...o.O

But, seriously...i checked out that Rad II and started drooling all over my keyboard...found a pretty ez to follow recipe too. I'll work on that one first. Thanks! As for the Lit II, I like what I've read about it but, still looking for the recipe.

How would I, (or would I want to) put backstab on one of them? I always like the SA bonus for backstab weapons. Not sure if it would even matter that much at Endgame with my Capstone.

TheDearLeader
09-04-2011, 05:30 PM
haha....I guess I'll need a site for "special" dummies...

But, seriously...i checked out that Rad II and started drooling all over my keyboard...found a pretty ez to follow recipe too. Thanks! As for the Lit II, I like what I've read about it but, still looking for the recipe.

Rad II Rapier, Better against Evil Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=12&tier2=81&tier3=192&tier4=189&bonus1=15&bonus2=40&altC=0&type=i)
Rad II Rapier, Better against Neutral Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=9&tier2=84&tier3=192&tier4=189&bonus1=15&bonus2=40&altC=0&type=i)
Lit II Rapier, Better against Evil Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=12&tier2=79&tier3=192&tier4=187&bonus1=6&bonus2=33&altC=0&type=i)
Lit II Rapier, Better against Neutral Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=7&tier2=84&tier3=192&tier4=187&bonus1=6&bonus2=33&altC=0&type=i)

noobinberg
09-04-2011, 05:52 PM
Rad II Rapier, Better against Evil Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=12&tier2=81&tier3=192&tier4=189&bonus1=15&bonus2=40&altC=0&type=i)
Rad II Rapier, Better against Neutral Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=9&tier2=84&tier3=192&tier4=189&bonus1=15&bonus2=40&altC=0&type=i)
Lit II Rapier, Better against Evil Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=12&tier2=79&tier3=192&tier4=187&bonus1=6&bonus2=33&altC=0&type=i)
Lit II Rapier, Better against Neutral Targets (http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php?base=35&tier1=7&tier2=84&tier3=192&tier4=187&bonus1=6&bonus2=33&altC=0&type=i)

OMG! These links provide the easiest recipes to follow I've seen....MUCHOS GRACIAS!!!

TheDearLeader
09-04-2011, 06:12 PM
OMG! These links provide the easiest recipes to follow I've seen....MUCHOS GRACIAS!!!

Glad to be of assistance.

noobinberg
09-05-2011, 03:29 PM
I've created my first +5 Greensteel Rapier with no problems...now to Shroud Crafting.