PDA

View Full Version : Ebberon-based Races

DawnofEntropy
08-29-2011, 10:14 PM
Sign if you'd rather have the dev team focus on races directly related to the ebberon setting rather than gnomes kobolds planetouched etc.
We want kalashtar, Shifters and changelings first!

The_Brave2
08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
/Unsigned

Prestige's First.

Aashrym
08-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Eberron races and gnomes. We can have it all. ;)

mournbladereigns
08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Sign if you'd rather have the dev team focus on races directly related to the ebberon setting rather than gnomes kobolds planetouched etc.

I want Eberronian gnomes, and Kalashtar!

and I don't care how many FvS have to lose their wings for me to get them either!

fco-karatekid
08-29-2011, 10:36 PM

/not signed

Totally a personal opinion, but since eberron in general is less than immersive, I'd rather (given the choice) the classic DnD races.

Battlehawke
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
I would be extremely happy if they would pump out one new Race, PRE or Class EVERY Update, no matter what they were!!!!

Dawnsfire
08-29-2011, 10:45 PM
/not signed

With the arrival of Artificers and guild airships, I think gnomes logically come next (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Gnomes).

Gnomes are the only race to have thoroughly mastered the art of elemental binding, which is used in a multitude of what are now considered essential technologies in contemporary post-War Khorvaire, including air ships and the Lightning Rail. As a result gnome alchemists, wizards and artificers are in high demand, especially by House Cannith, House Lyrandar and House Orien.

Besides maybe if we get gnomes I will finally get to see the one Eberron oddity I have been waiting for: the Lightning Rail (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Rail):

The House Orien operated Lightning Rail is an international, magical train line connecting many of the major cities throughout Khorvaire. In many ways, the Lightning Rail resembles and functions like trains of the Old West, but instead of following along rails, the Lightning Rail follows a path of conductor stones.

Aashrym
08-29-2011, 11:01 PM
/not signed

With the arrival of Artificers and guild airships, I think gnomes logically come next (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Gnomes).

Besides maybe if we get gnomes I will finally get to see the one Eberron oddity I have been waiting for: the Lightning Rail (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Lightning_Rail):

Wrong continent for the lightning rail. We're in a very uncivilized area. With only the one city where would the lightning rail go? Interesting idea tho.

Falco_Easts
08-29-2011, 11:02 PM

As one of the dragonmarked races I kind of thought Gnomes were related to the Eberron setting.

Indoran
08-29-2011, 11:03 PM
/not signed

Totally a personal opinion, but since eberron in general is less than immersive, I'd rather (given the choice) the classic DnD races.

and that's your personal opinion... thing is eberron needs a noir atmosphere and that's not easy to do...

but I think they are learning...

Aashrym
08-29-2011, 11:05 PM
As one of the dragonmarked races I kind of thought Gnomes were related ot the Eberron setting.

They get the mark of scribing. I want to see how that gets implemented. ;)

oradafu
08-29-2011, 11:06 PM
/not signed

If Druids are truly the next race/class that the Devs are working on, then I rather they focus on completing Druids and all the Prestige Classes that have been announced. Since it's questionable about the progress of Druids, they should be focusing on Prestige Classes. Since it appears that some classes are being balanced around a single Prestige Class, the Devs need hop on the ball and finish incomplete Prestige Classes so the balance of the game doesn't go to finished Prestige Class (i.e. Assassin) or start Prestige Classes so there is variety in the class (i.e. Occult Slayer/Ravenger).

Then maybe they can focus on the core races/classes, Gnome and (depending on your definition of core) Psion. Racial Prestige classes would be nice too...but with the focus on House C and especially Lord of Blades for the next two updates, they should have had WF Juggernaut done already.

Dawnsfire
08-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Wrong continent for the lightning rail. We're in a very uncivilized area. With only the one city where would the lightning rail go? Interesting idea tho.

Unfortunately you are right. That said I still want to see it. Maybe Stormreach can build a smaller version between the city and somewhere else (future new adventure pack area)?

If that sounds a bit farfetched it maybe because I care more about seeing it then I do about technicalities :p

TiranBlade
08-29-2011, 11:25 PM

That's simple a house cannith monorail to replace the portals.......

j/k btw

Zachski
08-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Playable races I'd rather see first:

Gnomes
Kobolds (If it shows up in a civilized setting as a friendly NPC, it should be playable in D&D.)
Lizardfolk (Because lizard-people are awesome)
Dragonborn (Reincarnation-style race, though one that doesn't involve TRing, merely replacing your existing race. +2 Con, -2 Dex, replaces existing racial mods, for those who don't know.)
Spellscales (We have melee-focused races, where are our magic-focused races?)

fco-karatekid
08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
and that's your personal opinion...

Right, hence, I posted it.

what is kind of ironic, though, is I always LIKED gnomes, but never LOVED them.
I think a deployment of gnomes would have to include some additional illusion/enchantment spells in addition to what we have now;so adding them would need to be during a timeframe when they can dedicate more time.
Kinda like how they've focused on artificers this go around; they'd need such a dedicated time to do gnomes justice.

Letrii
08-30-2011, 04:08 AM
Dragonborn

wax_on_wax_off
08-30-2011, 04:21 AM
/not signed.

Gnomes are core. We need Gnomes. DDO isn't D&D without them.

Gauthaag
08-30-2011, 04:56 AM

if we can go to shhavarrath, why not to khorvaire?

Gauthaag
08-30-2011, 04:57 AM
and please not that 4E S##t

Talias006
08-30-2011, 05:00 AM
/not signed.

Gnomes are core. We need Gnomes. DDO isn't D&D without them.

More so than core, gnomes are a fixture in Eberron. They're a dragonmarked race. Might be a less than usefull dragonmark, but still, they're one of the marked races.

Kobolds are eberron related too, as are planetouched. Especially given that Eberron is in some form of contact with many of the planes so often.

Personally, I'd rather they put most of their resources into just getting Druid up and running before giving us another race to figure out what niche they can fill.

To give us Kalashtar, they really need to implement psionics, and that would be a hefty upgrade. Mental powers that rival that of wizards and have no need of somatic, verbal or material/focus. At what cost to ability would this be given us?

grgurius
08-30-2011, 05:03 AM

WotC legal ward is stronger then barriers between planes.

Letrii
08-30-2011, 06:15 AM
and please not that 4E S##t

Did I miss someone talking about 4e?

Aashrym
08-30-2011, 11:05 AM

Coterminus planes are closer than geographical locations apparently. :D

Uska
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
yes but add gnomes back in they are a key Eberron race

Uska
08-30-2011, 11:11 AM
/not signed

other than gnomes what classic dnd race are we missing? and I dont mean any silly optional races either.

Uska
08-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Playable races I'd rather see first:

Gnomes
Kobolds (If it shows up in a civilized setting as a friendly NPC, it should be playable in D&D.)
Lizardfolk (Because lizard-people are awesome)
Dragonborn (Reincarnation-style race, though one that doesn't involve TRing, merely replacing your existing race. +2 Con, -2 Dex, replaces existing racial mods, for those who don't know.)
Spellscales (We have melee-focused races, where are our magic-focused races?)

Unless you go to the chesse that is 4E dragonborn dont exist on Eberron the dragons wont permit it

Uska
08-30-2011, 11:15 AM
Did I miss someone talking about 4e?

yes the dragonborn baloney optional race that doesnt exist in 3.5 eberron the dragons wouldnt permit it(they dont like stinky cheese)

Zachski
09-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Unless you go to the chesse that is 4E dragonborn dont exist on Eberron the dragons wont permit it

Uh, I have a 3.5E book devoted to the dragon races. It explicitly mentions Dragonborn being able to work in an Eberron setting.

You're thinking of half-dragons, which are entirely different from Dragonborn in 3.5. Dragonborn are the servants of the good dragons, other races remade into a draconic form to fight evil dragons. This can work in Eberron without breaking 3.5 Lore.

Please, I know what I'm talking about, I even read the passage three times to make sure what I was read was what was really being said >_>

Norean
09-01-2011, 06:56 AM
I'd like to suggest the addition of tieflings as a race. What do you all think?

Satinavian
09-01-2011, 07:11 AM
shifters will come after druids. They are bound to use the shapeshifting code once finished.

khalashtar will come after psion. As i am not sure, if psion will come at all, i am not sure if they will make it.

Norean
09-01-2011, 07:15 AM
Psion. Isn't that the creative race that learns every technology but has a low gravity penalty like that's supposed to offset it?

Uska
09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Uh, I have a 3.5E book devoted to the dragon races. It explicitly mentions Dragonborn being able to work in an Eberron setting.

You're thinking of half-dragons, which are entirely different from Dragonborn in 3.5. Dragonborn are the servants of the good dragons, other races remade into a draconic form to fight evil dragons. This can work in Eberron without breaking 3.5 Lore.

Please, I know what I'm talking about, I even read the passage three times to make sure what I was read was what was really being said >_>

That was a cheese splat optional book I know the one your talking about no one around here allowed itP when eberron was first released it was specifically stated that there were no dragonborn on eberron this was stated on the official forums

Uska
09-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd like to suggest the addition of tieflings as a race. What do you all think?

After gnomes and the rest of the eberron races and then only if they add asimar at the same time

Uska
09-01-2011, 08:23 AM
shifters will come after druids. They are bound to use the shapeshifting code once finished.

khalashtar will come after psion. As i am not sure, if psion will come at all, i am not sure if they will make it.

I would predict shifters before Druids they dont full shapeshifting like Druids do

Zachski
09-01-2011, 01:52 PM
That was a cheese splat optional book I know the one your talking about no one around here allowed itP when eberron was first released it was specifically stated that there were no dragonborn on eberron this was stated on the official forums

First of all, it's still 3.5E, so you might want to take back that talk about 4E from earlier.

Second of all, "no one here allowed it" sounds very... "MY D&D group didn't allow such a book, therefore, no one's should!"

Finally, it's a stupid and arbitrary rule to have no Dragonborn in Eberron. Dragonborn are not actually born dragons, but are other races that devote themselves to highest good dragon, undergoing a ritualistic transformation that rebirths them in that dragon's image. In traditional D&D, this would make them platinum scaled due to the highest metallic dragon being metallic. They aren't actually half dragons, they are something so much more than half dragons.

Why other dragons in Eberron would want to supersede the will of the highest good dragon is beyond me.

It's an official optional rule, which means that Turbine would be well within their rights to add Dragonborn to Eberron. Don't like it? Tough, it's an official optional rule. Even settings have options, that's why this is D&D and not just a series of novels.

Also, call it "cheese" if you want, I consider Artificers no different. They may have been an important class for Eberron, but they sure as hell weren't a core class for the rest of D&D, and thus, as you put it, "cheese" or whatever you want that word to mean.

Also, I'm still convinced you're operating off of "Half Dragon" and not "Dragonborn" when it comes to that rule for Eberron, which is silly. Now, in 4E, Dragonborn ARE their own race and so your complaint might make sense, but not in 3.5E.

Uska
09-02-2011, 02:08 PM
First of all, it's still 3.5E, so you might want to take back that talk about 4E from earlier.

Second of all, "no one here allowed it" sounds very... "MY D&D group didn't allow such a book, therefore, no one's should!"

Finally, it's a stupid and arbitrary rule to have no Dragonborn in Eberron. Dragonborn are not actually born dragons, but are other races that devote themselves to highest good dragon, undergoing a ritualistic transformation that rebirths them in that dragon's image. In traditional D&D, this would make them platinum scaled due to the highest metallic dragon being metallic. They aren't actually half dragons, they are something so much more than half dragons.

Why other dragons in Eberron would want to supersede the will of the highest good dragon is beyond me.

It's an official optional rule, which means that Turbine would be well within their rights to add Dragonborn to Eberron. Don't like it? Tough, it's an official optional rule. Even settings have options, that's why this is D&D and not just a series of novels.

Also, call it "cheese" if you want, I consider Artificers no different. They may have been an important class for Eberron, but they sure as hell weren't a core class for the rest of D&D, and thus, as you put it, "cheese" or whatever you want that word to mean.

Also, I'm still convinced you're operating off of "Half Dragon" and not "Dragonborn" when it comes to that rule for Eberron, which is silly. Now, in 4E, Dragonborn ARE their own race and so your complaint might make sense, but not in 3.5E.

it wasnt a core book is what I am saying and halfdragons are even bigger cheese than are dragonborn everything in the races of the dragon was optional and most gms I encountered at cons didnt allow it as it was broken now the monty haul gms freely allowed it if you dont get the reference I will understand.

Zachski
09-02-2011, 08:44 PM
it wasnt a core book is what I am saying and halfdragons are even bigger cheese than are dragonborn everything in the races of the dragon was optional and most gms I encountered at cons didnt allow it as it was broken now the monty haul gms freely allowed it if you dont get the reference I will understand.

You know what else isn't a core book?

Eberron.

Also, Favored Souls and Artificers aren't core either.

I really fail to see how Dragonborn are broken. Dragonborn are +2 Con -2 Dex, putting them on the same level as dwarves. They get to choose between wings and breathing fire (and something else but I forget), but wings are something else in DDO.

You're right, I don't get the reference to Monty Haul. Funny thing is, this means nothing. Saying that I don't get a reference to something and then condescendingly stating "I understand" is little more than an ad hominem.

Core book or not, you haven't provided one good argument against dragonborn, meanwhile, I've provided official sources that say that, thematically, they can and will work in Eberron. All you've stated is that they are cheese and that all of the GMs you've met (Which I'm sure accounts for all GMs everywhere) don't like the book, despite probably never having read it.

Also note, the plural of anecdote is not data.

Letrii
09-02-2011, 11:05 PM
Monty Haul games refer to GM throwing loot to have characters way over-geared for their level. DDO is a Monty Haul game.

Zachski
09-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Monty Haul games refer to GM throwing loot to have characters way over-geared for their level. DDO is a Monty Haul game.

Ah, thank you.

Also, pretty much, but then it's helped make melees competitive with arcanes.

Except for the part where it's insta-death city, but hopefully that'll get fixed soon.

That being said, I still don't see how Dragonborn are "cheese". I think they're awesome and that Turbine would be missing out if they didn't grab that rare chance to have a playable draconic race, something only Istaria has accomplished.

Letrii
09-02-2011, 11:25 PM
Except for the part where it's insta-death city, but hopefully that'll get fixed soon.

It shouldn't get fixed, it is true to DnD. Just remember the rule, what the players do the GM can do.

Dispel/disjunct to remove protections, then SoD spells.

Zachski
09-03-2011, 01:43 AM
It shouldn't get fixed, it is true to DnD. Just remember the rule, what the players do the GM can do.

Dispel/disjunct to remove protections, then SoD spells.

I made that same argument once. Now I regret it because I realize that melee characters have to make parties without arcanes if they want to be able to play instead of tag along.

There are some things that should be true to DnD and some that shouldn't. Arcane casters ruling the roost while melee characters act as playable saddlebags shouldn't be the case.

Letrii
09-03-2011, 01:44 AM
I made that same argument once. Now I regret it because I realize that melee characters have to make parties without arcanes if they want to be able to play instead of tag along.

There are some things that should be true to DnD and some that shouldn't. Arcane casters ruling the roost while melee characters act as playable saddlebags shouldn't be the case.

Then they should implement classes from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine swords.

Zachski
09-03-2011, 01:45 AM
Then they should implement classes from Tome of Battle: Book of Nine swords.

Or, even better, just balance the game so that caster's insta-death abilities aren't so overpowered in epic, while still making them relevant as more than buffbots like so many players treated them in the past.

Letrii
09-03-2011, 01:49 AM
Or, even better, just balance the game so that caster's insta-death abilities aren't so overpowered in epic, while still making them relevant as more than buffbots like so many players treated them in the past.

But this is supposed to be DnD, wizards can reshape reality itself and instakill is OP?

Zachski
09-03-2011, 02:00 AM
But this is supposed to be DnD, wizards can reshape reality itself and instakill is OP?

DnD, the pen and paper game, is an entirely different creature from DDO, the MMO.

You see, pen and paper games are about fooling around. Balance isn't an issue unless you're a min/maxer. The DM can adjust each individual quest to the party's needs, and a good DM can make it so that the Fighter never feels useless.

DDO is an MMO. MMOs are expected to be balanced, so that all players have equal value. MMOs are expected to be fun for everyone. Finally, in MMOs, the DM is an NPC that reads text out loud, and cannot tailor the quest to the individual party because he is a voice coming out of the speakers, and the quests themselves are static instances with a few random elements that do not consider the make up of the party.

Finally, DDO is not D&D, it is a part of the D&D franchise which is a different creature entirely from the pen and paper game. For instance: Dungeons and Dragons: Shadows of Mystara is a beat'em up side scrolling game that had literally nothing in common, mechanically, with the pen and paper game, it just had the classes and the setting.