PDA

View Full Version : Carnifex Question

djl
08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I just unlocked Thrall of the Necromancer...

Since that is a separate quest than the Deliras Tomb chain, do I have to run through Deliras Tomb again if I want to farm Thrall? Or is it possible to just start Thrall by itself?

Emizand
08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
You need to complete the entire chain. All four quests. ;-)

On the upside it is good xp.

djl
08-28-2011, 10:58 AM
You need to complete the entire chain. All four quests. ;-)

On the upside it is good xp.

Wow.....

It takes so long :(

Deanarth
08-28-2011, 10:59 AM
You can farm your Voice of the Master there too. And a Golden Cartouche.

Emizand
08-28-2011, 11:01 AM
Wow.....

It takes so long :(

Only till you get used to it. What server are you on, if Thelanis I will run it with you.

djl
08-28-2011, 11:27 AM
Only till you get used to it. What server are you on, if Thelanis I will run it with you.

Sardonis :(

Spoonwelder
08-28-2011, 11:40 AM
The way I read your post is you have finished the first 3 parts of the Delera Chain and only have Thrall of the Necromancer left to complete the chain and collect your end reward. Not the end reward from Derrik but the one that Delera gives you.

This chain has a drippy little mechanic in the middle that is more about advancing the story versus advancing the quest. Once you have finished the third quest - you talk to Derrick and get your first reward then go back into the Graveyard and Talk to Hargo then talk to Hargo again and either pay him 10k gold OR have bluff of at least 3 and you can bluff him to let you advance - then you go back to the third quest entrance and enter and talk to Delera (remember to walk right up to her as if you don't the quest doesn't actually advance (doesn't trigger the quest objective of 'approach Delera'.

Then you go back to the Thrall of the Necromancer quest and you can enter it.

Huge PITA that wastes 2 minutes that could have been all done at the end of quest 3 when you finish it. BUT......after 5 years(ish) they ain't likely to fix it.

So you don't have to do the entire chain over just to get into Thrall unless you have finished Thrall and claimed your end reward.

As for farming for a Carneflex - if that is your goal just keep putting up LFM's - most half decent groups can finish the chain in under and hour and you will get prettydecent XP. Definitely worth it to do on a first life.

djl
08-28-2011, 11:59 AM
The way I read your post is you have finished the first 3 parts of the Delera Chain and only have Thrall of the Necromancer left to complete the chain and collect your end reward. Not the end reward from Derrik but the one that Delera gives you.

This chain has a drippy little mechanic in the middle that is more about advancing the story versus advancing the quest. Once you have finished the third quest - you talk to Derrick and get your first reward then go back into the Graveyard and Talk to Hargo then talk to Hargo again and either pay him 10k gold OR have bluff of at least 3 and you can bluff him to let you advance - then you go back to the third quest entrance and enter and talk to Delera (remember to walk right up to her as if you don't the quest doesn't actually advance (doesn't trigger the quest objective of 'approach Delera'.

Then you go back to the Thrall of the Necromancer quest and you can enter it.

Huge PITA that wastes 2 minutes that could have been all done at the end of quest 3 when you finish it. BUT......after 5 years(ish) they ain't likely to fix it.

So you don't have to do the entire chain over just to get into Thrall unless you have finished Thrall and claimed your end reward.

As for farming for a Carneflex - if that is your goal just keep putting up LFM's - most half decent groups can finish the chain in under and hour and you will get prettydecent XP. Definitely worth it to do on a first life.

Thanks for the thorough response :) Yeah, I was doing the chain last night and my group fell apart after the third part, so all that is left is to do Thrall and collect the reward.

Also, do I have to pay that jerk 1k plat every single time I do the chain? That kind of sucks if I do. That's a decent amount of plat at my level (I'm level 7 and have around 50k total). Also, even on normal I struggle with the enemies. I have a +2 flametouched maul and a +1 shocking burst greatsword as my weapons, neither of which are all that effective. I'd hate to see how hard it is on hard or elite.

Emizand
08-28-2011, 12:00 PM
Also, do I have to pay that jerk 1k plat every single time I do the chain? That kind of sucks if I do. That's a decent amount of plat at my level (I'm level 7 and have around 50k total).

Try a heroism pot and an eagles splendour pot or a bluff item.

dlsidhe
08-28-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the thorough response :) Yeah, I was doing the chain last night and my group fell apart after the third part, so all that is left is to do Thrall and collect the reward.

Also, do I have to pay that jerk 1k plat every single time I do the chain? That kind of sucks if I do. That's a decent amount of plat at my level (I'm level 7 and have around 50k total). Also, even on normal I struggle with the enemies. I have a +2 flametouched maul and a +1 shocking burst greatsword as my weapons, neither of which are all that effective. I'd hate to see how hard it is on hard or elite.

Grab a pot of Eagle's Splendor and a +3 bluff item. Cheap and easy.

Garix
08-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Just to put a number on the info Emizand has given you, you only need a buff of +3 to avoid paying.

edit....Gloves of Deciet drop from WaterWorks (iirc) and are +5 bluff. enough even for a WF with dumped Charisma

Crann
08-28-2011, 12:08 PM
The rewards for that chain will not always be the same.

Take carnifex if it is there, it is not there frequently. It is arguably the best under level 12 weapon, and is Bound to Account, so it can be passed through shared bank.

Voice of the Master is always there, you can run again (parts 1 thru 4) to get it if there is something better.

maha0201
08-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Heads up on carnifex i runed chain for completion round 40 times on different toons. I saw only 1 carnifex and i got alot of cartouche ( 6+ ).
But when i grinded delara on mine wizard i runned chain 6 time and couldnt get cartouche :S

Dark_Uncle72
08-28-2011, 12:19 PM
Heads up on carnifex i runed chain for completion round 40 times on different toons. I saw only 1 carnifex and i got alot of cartouche ( 6+ ).
But when i grinded delara on mine wizard i runned chain 6 time and couldnt get cartouche :S

Well I reckon it's a good thing they're BTA

maha0201
08-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Well I reckon it's a good thing they're BTA

They are. i was new to pack and runned it like 10 times before i decided to let cartocuhe go ( and bought bunny hat). Then on TR i got like 5 cartouches out of 7 runs ...

NovaNZ
08-29-2011, 09:11 PM
yup bit of a lottery.
Several days back I got carnifex on the first run (N), MoV on the second (no cartouche), then cartouche on the third. :D
Luck of the draw is all.

Definately take carnifex at first opportunity though then probably cartouche second (or buy bunny hat).

GL.

TheDearLeader
08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Sardonis :(

Who?

NovaNZ
08-29-2011, 09:14 PM
lol DearLeader

The onis is on Sarlona to figure it out.

Spoonwelder
08-30-2011, 11:25 AM

To avoid paying him you need a Bluff skill of at least 3...check your character screen - with a dumped Cha of 8 you will need either a +4 item or a +3 and Stat bump of +2 or +4. Fairly easy for most people. In a group someone will almost always be able to help you with either heroism or just trading you their bluff item for a minute.

As to hitting in there - the dangerous mobs are actually pretty easy to hit. There are two problems in this quest chain....

The Ghostly Skeletons require a 'Good' aligned weapon to break their damage resistance ie. Pure Good, Holy or Righteosness. They give you the club of the holy flame in the quest and it is better than a non-DR weapon most of the time. On normal you may not have noticed it as much (yellow numbers that are small) but on Hard/Elite that DR spikes and they are fairly undamageable. Note for these particular skeletons it is only Good DR - not blunt as well - but if you are lazy like me and one a onesize fits all weapon a maul or greatclub of PG will cover you for most of the quest chain. If you can get a Ghost Touch weapon with good aligned on it as well you are golden for the whole quest chain. If you need Pure Good and/or Ghost Touch and don't have plat go run the Catacombs as the end reward gives you a couple of handy weapons for dealing with undead. The chain is an abysmally planned run back and forth but the end rewards can help in the early Necro and Delera's quests.

The Skeleton Archers - these guys have higher AC and hitpoints than most of the mobs in the quest - here's the trick though - they are turretted in almost all cases. By this I mean they can't run after you (they will jump around if you beat on them but they won't follow) AND they don't contribute to Dungeon Alert - SO have some spearblock and ignore them or just ignore them -they do low damage and in this quest there are so many corners and passages that they can't hit you for long. It's a zerger tactic BUT it does save alot of time and frustration with these jumpy bastards.

As for the Carneflex - yes take it if it comes up - even on a caster - you will use it OR pass it to another character - I have four on one server but only one on the other server I play on....just random chance. Next take the Voice of the Master for the +5% XP - that is always helpful and you will hear people bark 'Voices On' - a reminder to swap the trinket if you need to in order to get the 5% on the final XP as the quest is about to finish. Finally take whatever tickles your fancy - Cartouche is nice but at level still likely not helpful in making your UMD mean much and you can likely get some other item later on to fill in the UMD gap. Personally I like the Sparkstriker on a melee in anticipation of going into Tear of Dhakan and needing Adamantine to bypass the Golems DR.

Enjoy the chain - I run it on most of my first life toons from beginning to end (not bothering to Window farm) as I can solo it in about an hour and the end rewards are pretty good and the XP is still very good. I will LFM it but won't wait for anyone since it is just as likely to get harder vs. easier with other some days.