PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Reconstruct Aura

The_Brave2
08-28-2011, 01:00 AM
The basis for this idea is coming from the fact that Pale-masters get Death Aura (http://ddowiki.com/page/Death_Aura) and Clerics get a Positive Energy Aura (http://ddowiki.com/page/Positive_Energy_Aura) So, based on Artificer Lore it would make sense for them to get a Reconstructive Aura that would follow along the same lines.

This Aura would tick for something close to the Positive Energy Aura and would only affect Warforged or Fleshie (w/ Construct Essence) characters and the Artificers pet. The Aura would be affected by the Repair enhancement line and all Potency-like affects, However it would not be affected by Empower or Maximize.

The Aura would be attached to the Artificers PRE line, on the second Tier of it, similar to the Cleric's PRE line and Energy Aura. Along with this, the Aura could either be linked to Action Boosts* or SP*.

*For Action Boosts, I would suggest that the Aura last twice as long as Action boosts are currently more valuable than turn undead attempts to most clerics

*For SP, I would suggest that the Aura last the same cleric Positive energy aura's duration, and cost 30 SP, However, for this route I would also suggest that the base repair effect be lowered and have meta magics effect it.

Basic Numbers for the Aura:

Repairs for:
2d6 + 1 Per Caster Level (Maximum 2d6 + 10)
Meaning:
Average 17 Damage per tick
-25.5 w/ Full Enhancements
-34 w/ 50% potency
Or. 24-44 with 50%potency and full Enhancements.

Current Cleric Pos Energy Aura on Llama Land:
LEVEL ---------------- DURATION
12____________________1:06
13____________________1:09
14____________________1:12
15____________________1:15
16____________________1:18
17____________________1:21
18____________________1:24
19____________________1:27
20____________________1:30

Not something that would be considered overpowered, just an addition to the class based on the fact that they created the Warforged, so it stands to reason they would have more ways of healing them.

RecklessDawn
08-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Cool idea, makes sense to me from the perspective of their contributions and knowledge of warforged. Their very presence magically enables warforged to repair over time?

Makes sense considering other auras in game and would certainly justify warforged artificers.

blkcat1028
08-28-2011, 01:12 AM
That's a pretty interesting idea. Maybe it could be the next PrE for the class.

Xenostrata
08-28-2011, 01:50 AM
That's a pretty interesting idea. Maybe it could be the next PrE for the class.

This.

Make it an ability that comes with tier two of the inevitable Renegade Mastermaker. For instance,

Tier 1
Prereqs - full repair line, construct essence feat OR wf, etc.
Your homunculus receives a 5% bonus to health and DR 2/adamantine as you begin to build upon it
+2 to repair
+15% bonus to repair spells
Repair now works at 65% on oneself, WF get a +20% bonus to incoming repair spells
Reconstructive Burst - Same as divine version, except costs 10 sp cooldown 20 seconds (no TU equivalent for uses). Acts as an Inflict Damage spell to enemy constructs.

Tier 2
Your homunculus receives a 10% bonus to health and DR 4/adamantine as you continue to build upon it.
+4 to repair
+30% bonus to repair spells, +20% to crits and +5% crit chance
Repair spells are now 80% effective on fleshies, but divine healing is reduced to 70%. Warforged instead get a +40% bonus to repair spells.
Internal Tampering: You now get a passive regen of 2 hp every 5 seconds.
Reconstructive Aura: As the divine version
Reconstructive Vigor: When casting the spell Reconstruct, the Haste effect is now a Morale bonus instead of Enhancement, allowing it to stack with haste.

Tier 3
Your homunculus receives 15% extra HP and DR 6/adamantine as you add your finishing touches to it.
+45% bonus to repair spells, +40% to crits, +10% crit chance
Repair spells are now completely effective on fleshies, but they take only 65% healing from divine magic (same as WF w/ one healer's friend enhancement). Warforged instead take 150% from incoming repair spells.
Clockwork Heart: You have learned all of the tricks to how mechanics and life energy work together. You have now successfuly hidden your heart inside of your Homunculus. Should you die while your homunculus is still alive, a Raise Dead spell will be cast on you 10 seconds after your death if your homunculus is within 5 meters of your soul stone (ie, standing right on top of it). If you die and your homunculus is outside of this range, it will immediately abandon what it is doing and attempt to reach your side. Certain effects or obstacles may prevent your homunculus from successfully reaching your side.

The_Brave2
08-28-2011, 01:54 AM
Reconstructive Burst - Same as divine version, except costs 10 sp cooldown 20 seconds (no TU equivalent for uses). Acts as an Inflict Damage spell to enemy constructs.

Tier 2

Reconstructive Aura: As the divine version
Reconstructive Vigor: When casting the spell Reconstruct, the Haste effect is now a Morale bonus instead of Enhancement, allowing it to stack with haste.

Reconstructive Vigor seems tad bit over powered imo.

But I like the idea of attaching it to a PRE line, i'll be adding that to the OP.

supp3nhuhn
08-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Unlike the other 2 auras the one you're proposing would pigeonhole artificiers into being warforged.
Don't really like that.

Failedlegend
08-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Unlike the other 2 auras the one you're proposing would pigeonhole artificiers into being warforged.
Don't really like that.

Agreed I will /sign this but ONLY with the caveat that the aura functions on fleshies with construct essence.

Also The Radiant aura is based off turn undead uses so how would the "Reconstructing Aura" be activated just SP like the death aura?

gDra
08-28-2011, 09:58 AM
Other classes have it, Artificers should have it too?
I can't follow that reasoning.

It's a good thing imo, if I dont have to play an Artificer like other classes.
(And no; I haven't tried them yet)

The_Brave2
08-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Don't really like that.

Good point. One of the suggestions above is that also in that PRE line is that fleshies with that PRE would be considered part warforged and take 65% from repair effects, Something along those lines would not only fit well with the artificer lore, but it would stop the pigeonhole you bring up.

Also The Radiant aura is based off turn undead uses so how would the "Reconstructing Aura" be activated just SP like the death aura?

Another good point, It could be based off of action points or SP. If it were to use Action points it would have to last longer than the current Positive Energy Aura because Action boosts are far more valuable than the current Turn undead attempts to most clerics, So I would suggest double the duration of Positive Energy Aura if that were the case. If it would make more sense to make it SP based as to not inter-fear with the combat abilities of Artificer than half the duration of Positive Energy Aura and a SP cost of 15 SP seems reasonable.

Here is a Duration Table for the Radiant Savant Aura Currently on llama land:

CLERIC CLASS LEVEL - DURATION
12____________________1:06
13____________________1:09
14____________________1:12
15____________________1:15
16____________________1:18
17____________________1:21
18____________________1:24
19____________________1:27
20____________________1:30

I'll be adding this table along with both options of how to implement it to the OP

Failedlegend
08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Agreed to most of that except NOT half the duration that's only like 45 seconds at lvl 20. (Frankly I think all the auras should have 5 minute durations by lvl 20)

The_Brave2
08-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Agreed to most of that except NOT half the duration that's only like 45 seconds at lvl 20. (Frankly I think all the auras should have 5 minute durations by lvl 20)

Possibly 1:30 for 40 SP then? Have to balance it somehow.

Failedlegend
08-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Possibly 1:30 for 40 SP then? Have to balance it somehow.

Why not just match it to its more similar counterpart the "Death Aura"

Name: Death Aura
School: Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Spell Point Cost: 25
Components: V, S
Metamagic: Extend, Heighten, Quicken
Range: Standard AOE
Target: Self
Duration: 24 seconds + 6 seconds per caster level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Cooldown: 5 seconds

So like this

Name: Reconstructing Aura
School: Transmutation
Level: Tier 2 Arty PrE

Actually makes me kind of wonder why D-Aura is a wiz spell as opposed to just an ability obtained with tier 1 or 2 (personally I think it should be tier but w/e)

The_Brave2
08-28-2011, 07:27 PM
Why not just match it to its more similar counterpart the "Death Aura"

Name: Death Aura
School: Necromancy
Level: Sor/Wiz 4

So like this

Name: Reconstructing Aura
School: Transmutation
Level: Tier 2 Arty PrE

Actually makes me kind of wonder why D-Aura is a wiz spell as opposed to just an ability obtained with tier 1 or 2 (personally I think it should be tier but w/e)

Well, for the PM Aura you cant use it unless you take the PM PRE and go into lich form, at which point you cannot receive any other forms of healing. I think the best option here is to make it only linked to AP and make it last 3min

Seems like there's no good way to balance it SP wise imo.

The_Brave2
08-31-2011, 01:23 AM
Since there is already a feat for fleshies to become part Warforged, I will be removing the PRE that grants partial mechanical parts.

Adken
08-31-2011, 01:43 AM
The aura should be affected by the repair line, not force. Repair spells work that way, and make the aura work with the force enhancements seem overpowered IMO.

Also, i think not too much people would choose that PrE unless they run regularly with WF, considering there's plenty of ways for self heal (and more for an artificer)

The_Brave2
08-31-2011, 01:48 AM
The aura should be affected by the repair line, not force. Repair spells work that way, and make the aura work with the force enhancements seem overpowered IMO.

Also, i think not too much people would choose that PrE unless they run regularly with WF, considering there's plenty of ways for self heal (and more for an artificer)

The force line was a complete typo, fixing now. The Aura would be great for the artificer himself along with any party members who happen to be Warforged or Artificers themselves, much like the Palemaster Aura only works on himself and other undead party members. Other things would go along with the PRE, but im not going to get into that. Just suffice to say that it would be a viable PRE Vs. current one, or even an addition to the current one.

stoerm
08-31-2011, 02:08 AM
I don't want to be a damp squib, but I don't see how a "repair aura" works or fits in the lore. From a "balance" point of view, maybe. By this I mean RTS kind of balance that Nod must have similar capability to GID - but we don't have that in DDO anyway.

The healing and negative energy auras are just that, divine and magical auras. A cleric is so pure she exudes divine power, a pale master is so consumed by the dark arts he radiates negative energy. But what is it about an artificer that makes broken things work when he's close? As a techie I know when I'm asked to fix a computer problem it tends to go away the moment I come near the machine, but ... a "repair aura" ... not so sure.

I concede we already have repair spells and constructs have an element of magic to them, they are not purely mechanical. But yet ... for me a it feels kind of forced and artificial (hah) lore made to justify a game mechanic.

Having said all this, it could be neat (and the right thing to add). This is just a comment on the "lore" bit in the OP.

The_Brave2
08-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Having said all this, it could be neat (and the right thing to add). This is just a comment on the "lore" bit in the OP.

Well, I'd still argue that since Artificers are Masters of Machines it would make sense that when machines are near them they would be inspired, so a buff aura makes sense... but since artificers already have so many buff like abilities I would change that into a repair aura.

But yes, it makes sense from a balance standpoint even if you believe it does not fit with the lore of artificers. So I believe it would be a interesting ability for them to have.