PDA

View Full Version : DWS suggestions and ideas.

wax_on_wax_off
08-26-2011, 12:00 AM
So DWSII has been promised in the next slew of PrE releases whether they come in U11 (unlikely) or U12.

Here is my suggestion for a rework of DWSI and addition of II and III (discussion below):

Ranger Deepwood Sniper I
Usage: Passive
Cost: 4 action points
Spent: 16 action points
Requires All of: Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons, Improved Hide II, Improved Move Silently II, Improved Spot II
Available to Ranger class level 6
Grants a +1 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, and Spot. Sneak Attack and Point Blank Shot range raises from 15 meters (45 ft) to 25 meters (80 ft). Grants +1d6 ranged sneak attack (functions identically to sneak attack but only with ranged weapons). You sneak 10% faster. Also grants the ability to take an aimed sniper shot with a bonus to hit, critical threat range, and critical threat multiplier.

This enhancement automatically grants the following:
Deepwood Sniper: Sniper Shot
Usage: Active
Cost: 0 action points
Cooldown: 6 seconds
Performs a ranged attack with a +4 bonus to hit, +1 to critical threat range, and +1 to critical threat multiplier.

Ranger Deepwood Sniper II
Cost: 2 action points
Spent: 42 action points
Requires All of: Deepwood Sniper I, Ranger Dexterity II, Improved Hide III, Improved Move Silently III, Improved Spot III
Requires One of: Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Great Crossbow, Stealthy
Available to Ranger class level 12
Grants an additional +1 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, and Spot. Grants an additional +1d6 ranged sneak attack. You gain +1d6 sneak attack. You sneak 10% faster. Your sniper shot ability is improved. You gain the ability to use cripple shot and ranged pin.

Deepwood Sniper: Improved Sniper Shot
Cooldown: 5 seconds
Performs a ranged attack with a +4 bonus to hit, +2 seeker, +2 to critical threat range, and +2 to critical threat multiplier. This attack bypasses 25% fortification. For this attack sneak attack and point blank shot will function out to 120 feat (1.5x base).

Deepwood Sniper: Ranged Pin
Cooldown: Uses the cooldown of trip (and is affected by improved trip)
Allows you to trip and pin your opponents from range. Works identically to trip except that you can use your strength or intelligence modifier (whichever is higher). Additionally, this ability applies an AC debuff equal to half of your strength or intelligence modifier (whichever is higher). The debuff lasts for 1 second per ranger level.

Deepwood Sniper: Cripple Shot
Cooldown: 20 seconds
Lets you perform a variety of debilitating shots:
1. Leg Shot: 20% movement penalty, 1d6 dexterity damage
2. Arm Shot: -4 attack penalty, 1d6 dexterity damage
3. Throat Shot: 50% spell failure penalty, 1d6 constitution damage
4. Weakening Shot: -2 damage penalty, 1d6 strength damage
The debuff portion last for 1 second per ranger level.

Ranger Deepwood Sniper III
Cost: 2 action points
Spent: 66 action points
Requires All of: Deepwood Sniper II, Ranger Dexterity III, Improved Hide IV, Improved Move Silently IV, Improved Spot IV
Requires One of: Stealthy, Power Critical
Available to Ranger class level 18
Grants an additional +1 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, and Spot. Grants an additional +1d6 ranged sneak attack. You gain +2d6 sneak attack. You sneak 10% faster. Your sniper shot ability is improved. You gain the ability to use assassinate.

Deepwood Sniper: Greater Sniper Shot
Cooldown: 4 seconds
Performs a ranged attack with a +4 bonus to hit, +2 seeker, +2 damage, +3 to critical threat range, and +3 to critical threat multiplier. This attack bypasses 50% fortification. For this attack sneak attack and point blank shot will function out to 160 feat (2.0x base).

Deepwood Sniper: Assassinate
Cooldown: 30 seconds
Performs a ranged attack that on a successful sneak attack can kill a living target instantly if the target fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + Ranger Level + Rogue Level + Int Modifier). Even on a successful save, the target takes 10d6 additional damage from the sneak attack. Can only be used while stealthed. If the attack passes through anything on the way to its target then it is negated (Precise Shot does not overcome this constraint).

The theme of the PrE is a stealthy/utility ranged character that doesn't have as much incentive to use higher RoF weapons (as the abilities are tied to cooldowns). I've tried to extrapolate this from the current tier I DWS.

While Greater Sniper Shot seems excessive it actually only adds ~30 DPS vs 0 fort in the most extreme circumstances (full epic gear, full raid buffs). The fortification bypassing aspect is a more flexible idea, perhaps capping at 25% would be more appropriate.

I envisage that DWS should have close to or higher DPS vs 0 fort enemies while AA has higher DPS vs higher DPS foes.

I was quite torn on whether or not to include sneak attack and if so how much and what type. I think "ranged only" sneak attack is quite appropriate for DWS. The inclusion of normal sneak attack is more flexible but I think it would suit a more flexible/utility character in comparison to AA.

If it was necessary to balance this PrE against AA then I'd prefer to see it done by providing more utility to AA and to provide incentives to use other imbues other than just slayer arrows (in 99% of situations). CC and debuff themed imbues seems a natural extension of the AA PrE and should balance the 2 PrE's against each other if that is a concern.

In a direct DPS comparison between DWSIII and AA:
6d6 sneak attack = average 21 sneak + sniper shot III vs +5 arrows +~25 damage from Slayer Arrows.

For an idea of the significance of sniper shot III it's the rough equivalent of adding +10 damage to a melee DPS (~+30 DPS).

So, what do you think?

LordKhaan
08-26-2011, 12:31 AM
I like it, this class has LONG TIME needed some luvin. +1 to u sir!

wax_on_wax_off
08-26-2011, 12:49 AM
I like it, this class has LONG TIME needed some luvin. +1 to u sir!

Thank you, I'm glad you like it. I should probably work on the format and put some indents and colours in. Anyone good at formatting things like this? Anyone have any hints about how best to format it so it looks less Wall of Text (even though it's paragraphed)?

Any thoughts on the likely hood of something like this being implemented? Overall balance compared to other PrE's?