PDA

View Full Version : Air AOE DOT

Asmodeus451
08-25-2011, 04:11 PM
so i proposed this awhile back, but i decided to revisit the idea and rather than necro that thread i thought it would be better to re-post as it is a (somewhat) new idea.

Crackling Cloud:

You call forth a cloud charged with electrical energy, dealing 1d2 electrical damage per caster level (max 15d2) every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. tagets first entering the cloud may make a Reflex save for half, but remaining in the cloud will take damage with no save. Aditionally, targets within the cloud are slowed by 10% and have a 5% chance to be Dazed when damaged by this spell.

aditionally, upon ending this spell releases its remaining charge in a single burst, potentially Stunning targets within for 10 seconds

reasoning:

i'd like to see Air Savs and elec soecced Wizzys get a AOE DOT in thier own element.

lowered the damage (compared to Acid Rain) and added the Daze, Stunning, and movement debuff cause the last thing we need in this game is another pure DPS spell with no utility.

Utility > Pure DPS at this time IMO. we have enough pure DPS already

Roaringdragon
08-25-2011, 04:14 PM
so i proposed this awhile back, but i decided to revisit the idea and rather than necro that thread i thought it would be better to re-post as it is a (somewhat) new idea.

Crackling Cloud:

You call forth a cloud charged with electrical energy, dealing 1d3 electrical damage per caster level (max 15d3)

Do you really need to have this? I mean there is other ones :)

Asmodeus451
08-25-2011, 04:16 PM
accidentally hit post instead of preview, editing in full description now

Tinco
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
You mean as a cloud? Or just fire and forget? AOE DOT sounds... dangerous ;)

What Air really needs IMO is an improvement of (the targeting mechanic of) Chain Lightning. That little bugger is so unreliable that I often regret spending the SP for it.

[EDIT]Ah, clearer now. A persistent cloud effect for air would be convenient but I think that's what sets it apart from the other elements. Not sure how I feel about it.

Roaringdragon
08-25-2011, 04:19 PM

Crackling Cloud:

You call forth a cloud charged with electrical energy, dealing 1d2 electrical damage per caster level (max 15d2) every 2 seconds for 10 seconds. tagets first entering the cloud may make a Reflex save for half, but remaining in the cloud will take damage with no save. Aditionally, targets within the cloud are slowed by 10% and have a 5% chance to be Dazed when damaged by this spell.

What will be the save then?

Asmodeus451
08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
spell description is finished now. will add in my reasoning next

Asmodeus451
08-25-2011, 04:28 PM
post is finally finished, sorry for the inconvenience.

will try not to miss-click in future:D

stille_nacht
08-25-2011, 04:31 PM
What will be the save then?

save are always 10+spell level + caster stat bonus + item bonus

Unreliable
08-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Theres no such thing as a two sided die :D

Tinco
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
If you're looking for utility and no-save damage I'd rather take the damage dice and duration of Acid Fog or Incendary Cloud.

Acid Rain is imo not the correct template for a utility/cloud spell, it's more like a concentrated Firewall.

licho
08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
While AoE air DoT is fine by me, everyone got some, why not air?
I think that proporsal spells is overcomplicated. 2 effects are nice, but mixing stun/daze/slow and nerf bat hit on crits is a little too much.

I would see it more like that:
Lv: 4
Duracion: 30sec, fixed
Dmg: something around 20 electro per tick (2sec)
Saves: Reflex save for half each time enter the cloud, if target stays in cloud receives full or half dmg depending on last roll.
Side effect: If fail the reflex save, then roll willpower agains dazed.
Note: staying in cloud will not generate extra daze chances.

This way it fits my need more. SInce:
AoEs are for long fight, if fight may last only 10 sec i would rather blast it.
In this spell side effect (daze) is quite important and strong, daze=no action for 6sec, so CC spells should last 30sec to be useful. Again if combat will end after 10 sec there is no need for CC.