PDA

View Full Version : Divine Favor Fix

Seager52
08-23-2011, 01:49 PM
This is an oldie but a goodie.

The Spell is supposed to function as +1 to attack and Damage for every 3 levels. That is how the spell is discribed in PnP and in DDO.

But for some reason DDO caps the spell at 3. I am not sure why this wasnt fixed in the "Spell Pass" but its kinda silly not to have it work as intended.

I know that there are going to be some certain non-divine melee toon lovers that will hate this because it doesnt help their class but does help another. Just keep in mind that this is not a request to improve the spell, just make it work as discribed/intended.

In PnP it hits max bonus at +6, i think it would be cool to not have a max so with the right gear you could get it to +7 but thats just my opinion. I think there should be more spells that dont have max caster levels so some epic gear that raises caster level could be accually valuable.

Dolphious
08-23-2011, 02:11 PM
It capped at +3 in 3.5 PnP also.

kabrinski
08-23-2011, 02:13 PM
It capped at +3 in 3.5 PnP also.

Yep. +3 is max.

Linky (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divineFavor.htm)

Seager52
08-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Divine Favor
Evocation
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute
Calling upon the strength and wisdom of a
deity, you gain a +1 luck bonus on attack
and weapon damage rolls for every three
caster levels you have (at least +1, maximum
+6). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell
damage.

Copied directy from Players Handbook having trouble clipping the image, but will continue to try

kabrinski
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
3.5 Players Handbook Errata:

"Divine Favor
Player’s Handbook, page 224
Player's Handbook v.3.5 Errata 02/17/2006
©2006 Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc. All rights reserved.
Changes to the spell’s description are noted in boldface
type:
Calling upon the strength and wisdom of a deity, you
gain a +1 luck bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls
for every three caster levels you have (at least +1,
maximum +3). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell
damage."

Link (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a)

tikwid
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
it still would be fun it if capped at 18 for +5 attack and damage

Dolphious
08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Divine Favor
Evocation
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 minute
Calling upon the strength and wisdom of a
deity, you gain a +1 luck bonus on attack
and weapon damage rolls for every three
caster levels you have (at least +1, maximum
+6). The bonus doesn’t apply to spell
damage.

Copied directy from Players Handbook having trouble clipping the image, but will continue to try

What PH? I just looked in up in my 3.5 and it clearly says max +3.

kabrinski
08-23-2011, 02:36 PM
What PH? I just looked in up in my 3.5 and it clearly says max +3.

He might have an older printing (or PDF of the older print) whereas you have a newer one that was printed after the errata was released.

Seager52
08-23-2011, 02:37 PM
Ok I see what it is. My PHB is older so it doesnt have a change that WotC put out. It used to be max 6 but now max 3. Stupid change IMO.

SO where is Rightous Might then?

Paleus
08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
I think that we can consider it established that in many versions of pnp the spell itself has a cap at 3. Therefore, any discussion of changing the spell should move into elements of balance. Yes, it would be nice if all divines could have an easy +6 to hit and damage from the perspective of a divine player, but we cannot base decisions on that alone. I think the +3 it already gives is clearly good, already makes it a widely used spell, and I see no current reason to need to add more on top of it.

Thats just my opinion. Perhaps some number cruncher will come by and show us how much more dps a change like that would mean in more quantifiable terms. Til then, I'll stick with my gut feeling that is good 'nough and not zomg overpowered.

kabrinski
08-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Ok I see what it is. My PHB is older so it doesnt have a change that WotC put out. It used to be max 6 but now max 3. Stupid change IMO.

SO where is Rightous Might then?

Now that one I agree with. They don't have Enlarge Person either, and they both increase your physical size. It's possible since Druegar have the ability to do so (and use it quite frequently). Maybe minimize the physical size increase and give us the buffs?

Dolphious
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
I think that we can consider it established that in many versions of pnp the spell itself has a cap at 3. Therefore, any discussion of changing the spell should move into elements of balance. Yes, it would be nice if all divines could have an easy +6 to hit and damage from the perspective of a divine player, but we cannot base decisions on that alone. I think the +3 it already gives is clearly good, already makes it a widely used spell, and I see no current reason to need to add more on top of it.

Thats just my opinion. Perhaps some number cruncher will come by and show us how much more dps a change like that would mean in more quantifiable terms. Til then, I'll stick with my gut feeling that is good 'nough and not zomg overpowered.

I don't think it would be a balance problem. Clerics and Fvs will still do more damage with spells under most circumstances, and pallys currently lag behind fighters and barbs in DPS.

Of course now every spell in the game available on wands/scrolls/clickies needs to be balanced with the fact that capstone artificers will be able to cast them at level.

And yeah, righteous might would be great!