PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul skills - Search and Spot

Fenricus
08-22-2011, 05:21 PM
Hi all,
I've been toying with various stats for a Favored Soul build, and I am not quite sure what to do. Most of my toons have rogue splashes, which is fine, but with FvS, I don't want to lose all the important stuff, like spell points, DCs, etc.

The skills I am most concerned about are search and spot. My characters mostly solo, so it's helpful to be able to at least spot traps. It seems like a waste of initial skill points to pump up the search and spot to 2 when I could start off with 4 by splashing rogue ( with +2 INT modifier, so 6 on search, +3 Wis 7 on spot).

Just a little worried. I've already nerfed 3 clerics with my cleric/rogue builds, don't want to make the same mistake again. Here are the stats I have been toying with:

STR 12
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 16
CHA 14

Just so I am clear, my aim is to create an effective offensive and CC caster, rather than a healer focussed build. Added STR to give a little bit of clout with Melee, though I want a caster primarily.
So, simply put, should I splash rogue, or just put FvS skill points into Search and Spot?

Any advice and help would be gratefully appreciated. :)

Dragonscar
08-22-2011, 05:39 PM
You asked so...
Read this

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199266&highlight=evoker

I solo a lot, too...but you can heal yourself you are a fvs after all.

Some folks splash monk for feats, evasions, etc but I think straight stick fvs is the way to go...

gl

Rumbaar
08-22-2011, 05:41 PM
Yeah zero in DEX, lower CHA and INT I think is a waste of time for SPOT and SEARCH focus on a FvS.

Therigar
08-22-2011, 05:51 PM
You absolutely do not need Search. So do not invest much into INT because those can easily become wasted build points.

Spot, on the other hand, is a bit different.

Spot is useful for noticing traps. It is also useful for noticing other things, like hidden enemies or secret doors. It is a skill that some players really like to have and that others can't be bothered with. As a result you will probably get conflicting advice on whether to take Spot or not.

I, personally, like to have some Spot. It helps that it is a WIS based skill and WIS will be fairly high on your FvS.

IMO you do not need to splash for Spot. Keep putting in half ranks and it should be high enough with your planned WIS for the things you'll use it for.

Use secret door clickies to search out secret doors. Take the spell Find Traps if you really need to search out traps -- although spotting them should normally be good enough.

Keep in mind you don't get a lot of skill points to play with as a FvS. Make sure to cover your main needs first.

-Zephyr-
08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Search and Spot on a FvS ? Forget that.
FvS have good enough saves to survive traps, enough self heals to recover and... Did I forget to mention you are gimping your FvS abilities ?

You want MAX wisdom on a caster FvS, every points count, as they have a hard time getting good enough DCs without past lives. You want concentration for scroll usage. UMD is always helpful too.

Unless you solo everything on elite with no spoilers at all, traps are a non issue. Seriously.

Fenricus
08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks guys. Extremely valuable input from all of you.

Should have checked in here before screwing up my clerics. :)

Once again, thanks.

I will drop search, but throw in spot, just for a little peace of mind. Don't want to be walking into traps blindly. :)

And from what I can gather, the rogue splash is a no-go.

Sound advice and input.