PDA

View Full Version : Docents and puppies

voodoogroves
08-18-2011, 06:54 PM
If I, for instance, pull a BTC docent from somewhere - can I stick that on my puppy?

i'm not at all sure how the gearing works - is there a screenie somewhere?

redspecter23
08-18-2011, 06:58 PM
You do drag and drop your equipment from your inventory right onto the pet so it sounds like it might work, though I haven't actually BtC stuff myself. I'd also be interested in knowing if it works on the pet.

MrCow
08-18-2011, 07:01 PM
The dog can equip docents that are bound to your account or character.

Isolani
08-18-2011, 07:37 PM

So, blademark's docent at L5 for dog, Gorgon at L8, or craft something? I'll have to make a dragontouched docent just for my dog...heavy fort, crushing wave guard, and disintegration guard or something like that if using him as tank.

voodoogroves
08-18-2011, 07:39 PM
Heh so I can load it up with my BTC Docent of Defiance?

Awesome

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
Though i think Pet equipment is bugged.... put a +1 docent of lesser cold resistance on my dog and it didnt get any cold resistance on its sheet, and its module wasnt giving +1 fire damage per attack.

Culver.Civello
08-18-2011, 07:48 PM
I tried buying a Docent from the store and putting that on my dog, but it didn't work. I'm thinking it is because the 'Race Absolutely Required: Warforged' on it... which doesn't seem to be on any of the other docents I have put on my dog, and considering the dog is a construct but not specifically a WF. >.> I'm curious if this is WAI or they just didn't change anything in the store to work with the new update maybe? Idk. Just thought I'd throw that out there... Docents from the store do not work on pets.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I tried buying a Docent from the store and putting that on my dog, but it didn't work. I'm thinking it is because the 'Race Absolutely Required: Warforged' on it... which doesn't seem to be on any of the other docents I have put on my dog, and considering the dog is a construct but not specifically a WF. >.> I'm curious if this is WAI or they just didn't change anything in the store to work with the new update maybe? Idk. Just thought I'd throw that out there... Docents from the store do not work on pets.

I believe DDO store bought items are "player only"

MrCow
08-18-2011, 08:05 PM
Though i think Pet equipment is bugged.... put a +1 docent of lesser cold resistance on my dog and it didnt get any cold resistance on its sheet

The pet benefits from the resists. It just currently does not show on the pet's character sheet.

Heh so I can load it up with my BTC Docent of Defiance?

Awesome

Yep.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a74/Ukenburger/Forum/DefiantPet.png

voodoogroves
08-18-2011, 08:13 PM
What's the range on your equip function? Do you have to be reasonably close?

MrCow
08-18-2011, 08:22 PM
What's the range on your equip function? Do you have to be reasonably close?

Currently you just have to be in the same zone, it appears. I haven't done any major checking of this, but I have been able to equip my dog, residing near the DeGenev Brothers, while I was at the southern end of the marketplace by the Artificer trainer.

Musouka
08-18-2011, 08:30 PM
DoD is cool!

Saw someone put the unsuppressed Quorforged into one.

Isolani
08-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Just to clarify...can you get the docent from your pet back when you want or does it keep it permanently? Don't think I want to give it a DoD if I can't take it back.

Alexandryte
08-18-2011, 10:26 PM
You can recoup the docent if you remove it from him. However I think someone mentioned it gets destroyed if you LR/GR (and consequently get stuck on the boat).

The modules are what throw me.

Crafted a Ghost touch of PG since Ive been encountering annoying situations with undead.

Apparently it just changed the damage type to good....no d6 was involved. WAI?

If that is the case it might be more beneficial to put unique proc effects instead when there isnt some DR to be bypassed.

(Also, its kinda annoying to try and grab trap parts when you are one of 4-5 other arti's with 1000% exp......mind putting trap parts back in the store on lama for testing? Its rather hard to test the modules when each time I need to specifically farm something each time I want to test a new effect (and only get 1 part per trap it seems))

ormsbygore
08-18-2011, 11:24 PM
The modules are what throw me.

Crafted a Ghost touch of PG since Ive been encountering annoying situations with undead.

Apparently it just changed the damage type to good....no d6 was involved. WAI?

I think those are bugged. I crafted a pair of +2 Flaiming Burst Handwraps of Pure Good into a Module, and the only thing that changed was the good DR bypass....no extra damage. The Artificer elemental damage infusions also didn't work on the pet modules.(guess I should have bug reported those)

Galeria
08-18-2011, 11:29 PM
When you first put the docent on your dog, he gets a cute little striped sweater on.

After he's dismissed and resummoned, the cosmetic effect goes away unless you take the docent back off, then re-equip it.

FYI

sacredguyver
08-18-2011, 11:52 PM
However I think someone mentioned it gets destroyed if you LR/GR (and consequently get stuck on the boat).
I was rather vocal about that. ^^;

What happened was:

I TR'ed a copied character into an Artificer. Thinking I'd be smart (and having a preference for melees), I tried to make it into a melee-artificer. It sucked.... horribly. Solution: Lesser Reincarnate. Picked up a normal Lesser Heart of Wood (no + for level exchanging) and promptly LR'ed at character level 6. I failed to notice before doing the LR, however, that I did not remove the Blademark's Docent from my pet. Once I completed the LR (quite successfully, perhaps because it didn't give me class exchange choices like Vet Status), I remembered about the docent and went to unequip it. It disappeared. It just disappeared. It wasn't in my bags, my bank, TR cache, or pet. Completely gone. Really bothered me a bit, but I was glad it happened on the test server instead of live.

Coldin
08-19-2011, 01:45 AM
I think the Modules are adding extra damage, but it's not displaying right in the overhead damage numbers.

Check your combat log. Even though I wasn't seeing the numbers, on my pet with +3 holy burst, I would still see that the pet was dealing a small amount of good damage.

Valakai
08-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Just remember that if you are warforged and you happen to loot a great docent - you have to ROLL for it with your dog!

Glenalth
08-19-2011, 04:11 AM
I think the Modules are adding extra damage, but it's not displaying right in the overhead damage numbers.

Check your combat log. Even though I wasn't seeing the numbers, on my pet with +3 holy burst, I would still see that the pet was dealing a small amount of good damage.

While the numbers were only singles for me, I was seeing shocking and acid death animations from the modules I equipped mine with.

MaxwellEdison
08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
I noticed when putting a +3 docent on my puppy there was no displayed change in it's armor class. Can anyone think of a good way to test if it is being applied but not displayed?

KoboldTerror
08-19-2011, 01:51 PM
When you first put the docent on your dog, he gets a cute little striped sweater on.

After he's dismissed and resummoned, the cosmetic effect goes away unless you take the docent back off, then re-equip it.

FYI

This is a known issue, the cosmetics effects should stay on through re-summons.

mrtreats
08-19-2011, 09:14 PM
I noticed when putting a +3 docent on my puppy there was no displayed change in it's armor class. Can anyone think of a good way to test if it is being applied but not displayed?

PVP have somone roll and see what they need to break the AC if dog says 32 AC and they roll a 33 no it dont work

Solmage
08-20-2011, 03:40 AM
I noticed when putting a +3 docent on my puppy there was no displayed change in it's armour class. Can anyone think of a good way to test if it is being applied but not displayed?

I tested it and bug reported and as far as I can tell the AC isn't being added up. What's worse, a mage armour spell DOES work on them, so something is screwy. To make it more interesting, a +5 crafted docent will add exactly 1 AC.

The dog's adamantine enhancements should instead be working like the WF adamantine feat, and mage armour shouldn't work, but the docent's enhancement should.

moorewr
08-21-2011, 09:01 AM
I ran into a problem with no-ML docents.. they would not equip on the pet. No error message, they just don't appear on their character sheet when you drag them. I was using the humble +1 docent from the House K armor shop to test.

Other docents, including B2A ones, had no issues on the same pet.

(Yes, I bug reported it).

incineration
08-21-2011, 09:19 AM
I ran into a problem with no-ML docents.. they would not equip on the pet. No error message, they just don't appear on their character sheet when you drag them. I was using the humble +1 docent from the House K armor shop to test.

it actually seems to be mostly an issue with plat bought docents from the stores

Firewall
08-21-2011, 05:38 PM
I have used the Gorgon Docent on my Puppy. The +4 CON is applied correctly and the additional HP show up immediately. I haven't seen it benefit from the Earthen Guard so far and the AC doesn't change either.

Lost Docent of the Mastermind applies the DR 3/Pierce, Bludgeon correctly but no change in AC either

I was not able to try Dragontouched Docents so far. Do they really work on puppies?

Glenalth
08-21-2011, 05:48 PM
I have used the Gorgon Docent on my Puppy. The +4 CON is applied correctly and the additional HP show up immediately. I haven't seen it benefit from the Earthen Guard so far and the AC doesn't change either.

Lost Docent of the Mastermind applies the DR 3/Pierce, Bludgeon correctly but no change in AC either

I was not able to try Dragontouched Docents so far. Do they really work on puppies?

I have seen the Gorgon Docent proc on mine, didn't seem like it was as often as it happened on my last character that wore it though.

I do like the idea of DT on them, but I'm a bigger fan of putting together an Epic Blademark's.

Arovin
08-21-2011, 06:34 PM
Has anyone tried a Red or Blue dragon scale docent on the puppy to see if the Combustion or Potency affected its fire breath?

binnsr
08-22-2011, 05:38 PM

it actually seems to be mostly an issue with plat bought docents from the stores

I tried a Docent of Defiance, and have seen him get slowed down (he almost looks stuck, so it was hard to figure out when it was happening). However, applying the docent doesn't affect his visible AC nor show the fire/acid/lightning resistance on the character sheet. Given his survivability under fire, it seems that he probably is getting the benefit from the resists (since I never remember to throw resists on him). I haven't tested in the PvP pit since the one time that I tried, we had issues even targeting the puppies.

Coldin
08-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Just to add my own experience with Docents. I gave my iron defender a Fearsome docent, and the fearsome actually worked. I was a bit surprised.

Zion_Halcyon
08-23-2011, 11:49 AM
anyone find out yet if DT works with the pups?

Could actually be a good reason to re-run Reavers Refuge once you get your own set done.

SisAmethyst
08-24-2011, 02:48 PM
anyone find out yet if DT works with the pups?

Could actually be a good reason to re-run Reavers Refuge once you get your own set done.

That would be indeed interesting, still need a little bit to get back to level with my Arti to test this out. Also it would be cool if certain Docents would have a different visual effect beside the stripes.

Ikuryo
08-26-2011, 03:45 AM
Made a reinforced plating +3 docent. No change in AC. He's not getting the +3 to AC from the enhancement on my +3 docent either.

Tenkari_Rozahas
08-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Made a reinforced plating +3 docent. No change in AC. He's not getting the +3 to AC from the enhancement on my +3 docent either.

odd. my pup's getting the +1 from a simple +1 docent i gave him. maybe its bugged with crafted docents?

LightBear
08-26-2011, 08:12 AM
What's the pet doing with a clicky on the docent?

Can he activate these by himself from time to time or does his master get some control over it?

Missing_Minds
08-26-2011, 08:24 AM
Oh my... I may be looking at dragon touched again.

That would be indeed interesting, still need a little bit to get back to level with my Arti to test this out. Also it would be cool if certain Docents would have a different visual effect beside the stripes.
Yeah. For some reason I see the puppies getting the ancient look (dreams of insanity) if you stick on dragontouched.

ilhares
08-27-2011, 12:33 AM
What's the pet doing with a clicky on the docent?

Can he activate these by himself from time to time or does his master get some control over it?
I'm hoping they update the AI to auto-use some of them (Gorgon docent is a popular one so far), but as it stands, they don't presently activate them. Nor can you, the master, do so by clicking on it if it's on your hotbar, it will tell you that you don't own the item. Because of the way the pet sheet is set up, you also can't drag it into one of the slots for it to apply to the pet toolbar.

The pet sheet has a lot of flaws about not updating information on-the-fly correctly as the player sheet does, however. Several things require you to close and reopen the pet sheet to see changes.

And yes, wraps with extra damage types DO apply their damage, there's just nothing in the visual display to indicate it, except for sneak attack. You have to read the combat log to see all the other effects.

ilhares
08-27-2011, 12:35 AM
This is a known issue, the cosmetics effects should stay on through re-summons.

From what I've seen of it, Kobold, this 'bug' doesn't exist unless your pet has been upgraded with the adamantine enhancement, which gives it the new slick armored appearance.(and very finely detailed back spikes).

It would be nice if the armored enhancement skin had some other touch of visual flavor per docent that didn't remove the great looks.

Ikuryo
08-27-2011, 01:53 AM
BTW, for people looking for a different skin, I made a blademark docent and slapped it on the puppy and it turned dark blue, with possible black stripes. It was much different looking from the crafted docents I put on him. Its possible the different named Docents have special skins and the stripes are from the color changes that normally happen with docents on WF.

It would be interesting to take a Docent, check what skin color it gives a WF, then put it on a pet and see if the stripes on it match the colors the WF had.

You could have WF in pink with a pet that has pink stripes if it works that way.

Oh, I wonder what happens if you buy and armor kit and put it on the docent before giving it to the pet.

Hmm, I can go grab another 2k in a little, bit. I'll give it a try.