PDA

View Full Version : it's unfair!!!

shadowranger
08-18-2011, 01:48 AM
the artificer's pets have their own enhancements system,get good control UI,and can equip docents and modules.when artificer level up,they leve up.
How about ranger's pets?
it's really unfair!!!
I want my "Guenhwyvar" become more powerful~~~just like the artificer's!

budalic
08-18-2011, 01:54 AM
the artificer's pets have their own enhancements system,get good control UI,and can equip docents and modules.when artificer level up,they leve up.
How about ranger's pets?
it's really unfair!!!

You lost my simpathy as soon as you mentioned Drizzt's cat.

Now I hope we'll never have ranger pets. Number of Drayzzits with Guenyhyviars will become unbearable.

grgurius
08-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Rangers don't have pets yet (animal companions would be a correct term here), you have summoned monsters, that's completely different category.

ReaperAlexEU
08-18-2011, 05:42 AM
the dev's have said that rangers pets will be a possibility, they just arnt sure if they want to add them or not.

to compensate for no pets rangers were given both TWF and ranged combat lines. if built right rangers are very solid characters with great melee DPS thanks to the low DEX requirement (just 13 tempest not 17 for imp TWF) and thanks to the arcane archer also make for good ranged builds too

so the main problem is rangers would get too much power from a new pet.

kuro_zero
08-18-2011, 05:55 AM
the dev's have said that rangers pets will be a possibility, they just arnt sure if they want to add them or not.

to compensate for no pets rangers were given both TWF and ranged combat lines. if built right rangers are very solid characters with great melee DPS thanks to the low DEX requirement (just 13 tempest not 17 for imp TWF) and thanks to the arcane archer also make for good ranged builds too

Ranger animal companion would be 4 levels below the char ranger level and IF I recall correctly gain a level for every 2 ranger levels there after (unlike druid which is 1:1) Ranger spell progression also was to follow this formula as well.

Regardless, IMO, it would do alot to bring rangers in-line with other melees after nerf to tempest. As it is, a ranger is equal barb and fighters in terms of DPS only against favored enemies (and maybe behind). Non-favored enemies the others leave rangers in the dust. Animal companion could bring alot of versatillity and benefits instead of sttaight DPS.

It would also be nice for AA builds to, I dunno, actually BE a ranger instead of opimizing it with racial PrE with other classes.

learst
08-18-2011, 06:05 AM

Now I hope we'll never have ranger pets. Number of Drayzzits with Guenyhyviars will become unbearable.

For some reason, I LOLed at this. So I guess GuenhwayvarZZZZ are the new DrizZZZ?

Chronotrip
08-18-2011, 06:31 AM
I for one am ALL for Rangers getting animal pets, and I agree that Summon monster spells are not the same.

The Reason is simple, and two fold. Pets work well in other MMO's so long as they are balanced which can be an issue, and also because pets can be a lot of Fun. When you have your own personal pet that you get to name, and train and watch grow stronger with you, it can be another hobby, yet another time sink, and those are important in any MMO.

Another good reason is because that's the way it is in P&P. I know some people get tired of hearing that and I know all to well that this is a Video game and a MMO, not P&P and I get that, I do, but being able to play D&D online with lots of people any time you want is one of the major reasons I think that a lot of us play.

If you go by P&P rules I think that the pets would be seriously underpowered, much like the summon monsters are, which is Ironic, seeing as how summon monster is one of the best spell lines in almost every other game based on D&D and is pretty powerful in P&P as well. There for I would make them about as powerful as they should be, but give them inflated hit points and saves and also give them a nice Debuff or a trip or something that can add to the party that does not have to be simply dps.

For example, A wolf pet could trip, or maybe give the whole party +10 to jump or maybe 20%-30% striding (at ranger lvl 20 or something).

And an Owl Pet might be able to give the whole party a +3 bonus to UMD skill, or maybe +1 to all skills

A Rat pet could give a bonus to Hide and Sneak, A Raven pet could have a chance to blind the mobs with each hit,
A Bear pet could Intimidate to try and tank, and also maybe increase the intim of the party, A Tiger pet could trip and give bonus to Balance skill, An alligator pet might have a chance to Limb chop with every attack, A monkey pet could give a bonus to Haggle and Reflex saves Vs. Traps (or just Reflex period) ect.

Obviously I think that any skill bonuses should be there own modifier, like a pet bonus, so that they will stack. Also It is very important that any and all skills be very well balanced, for example, for the owl to give a bonus to a very important skill like UMD or a smaller bonus but to ALL skills, then it would have be rather weak DPS wise and HP wise compared to a Bear or Wolf, where as these pets that are better at combat would give out less important/powerful skills like Jump or Intimi.

Regardless, there are lots of ways to make different pets that function, are balanced, and most importantly are fun, with out having to worry about making them be a significant bonus to the party in terms of DPS.

I think that there are some Major problems with the way that summon monster spells work, and I hope that Artificers can help to balance and address some of these issues, they really are a very important and fun aspect of any Fantasy based MMO and D&D in particular.

NaturalHazard
08-18-2011, 06:35 AM

lol +1 he lost my sympathy as well. I want rangers to get animal companions, but I hope one of the options is not panther for this very reason, in fact no cats :p.

Seikojin
08-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Uh... I thought the pets for arti's was a way to see if the system worked so they could add ranger pets and familiars... Hmm.

smatt
08-18-2011, 01:01 PM
No pets.. bad pets....

rimble
08-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Rangers don't have pets yet (animal companions would be a correct term here), you have summoned monsters, that's completely different category.

Gonna start a petition for no panther pets...heck, nothing cat-like...they all must go.

elraido
08-18-2011, 01:04 PM

If that is the case, what about the Paladins Mount? One of the main things a paladin has, and they left it out.

Lithic
08-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Gonna start a petition for no panther pets...heck, nothing cat-like...they all must go.

If there are no cats available, you know someone will name their dog/bird/turtle "IwishIwasapanthernamedGwen" or some such heh

Satinavian
08-18-2011, 01:06 PM
We get a new class with a trainable pet ...

And druid is to come when they finally solved their shapeshifting problems

That means :

They are testing the pet programming with the artificier and when they finally have decided how strong it should be and have fixed the most urgent bugs, they will use the same engine for druid animal companions and rangers.

In fact it wouldn't surprise me if the pet programming was originally done for druids (who are still buggy otherwise ) and the artificier got their pet only because the programming was already done for the most part.

rimble
08-18-2011, 01:09 PM
If there are no cats available, you know someone will name their dog/bird/turtle "IwishIwasapanthernamedGwen" or some such heh

Starting a second petition to be able to challenge PCs pets to PvP...

Riggs
08-18-2011, 01:14 PM

All rangers who have any variation of drizzt in their name should be banned for copyright violation (and lamitude). Ditto for pet panthers.

But otherwise Rangers (and Druids) should have pets too.

Oh - and wizards should be able to also get some kind of homonculus - maybe not as powerful as Artificers - but something. They are the original crafters after all. (Where do you think all the golems came from?)

NytCrawlr
08-18-2011, 01:20 PM
For example, A wolf pet could trip, or maybe give the whole party +10 to jump or maybe 20%-30% striding (at ranger lvl 20 or something).

And an Owl Pet might be able to give the whole party a +3 bonus to UMD skill, or maybe +1 to all skills

A Rat pet could give a bonus to Hide and Sneak, A Raven pet could have a chance to blind the mobs with each hit,
A Bear pet could Intimidate to try and tank, and also maybe increase the intim of the party, A Tiger pet could trip and give bonus to Balance skill, An alligator pet might have a chance to Limb chop with every attack, A monkey pet could give a bonus to Haggle and Reflex saves Vs. Traps (or just Reflex period) ect.

Great idea! Totally loving it and wish I could give a +1 (out of rep for the day), so I will snag you tomorrow.

And yes, if they drop Bow Strength and give it to the proper weapon that it belongs to, give Rangers pets as well and retailer Ranger to a closer version of its PnP counterpart, I think it would make for a more viable character with tons of options, as opposed to another boring DPS machine that has certain small perks in very low incremental situations.

I think it's going to happen in time, as long as the majority of us continue to show support for it, but I bet anything Druid is next in line.

Alavatar
08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Starting a second petition to be able to challenge PCs pets to PvP...

Starting a third petition to be able to carry your pet in a small ball the size of a baseball.

TheDjinnFor
08-18-2011, 01:33 PM

I keep hearing this characters name and despite the fact that I love reading fantasy novels, I haven't the slightest interest in touching those books and can't for the life of me figure out what all of the commotion is over that name.

Sounds like a boring character to me.

jsaving
08-18-2011, 01:35 PM

If that really is the main problem, why not just treat the pet as a combat line and let rangers choose any two of the three?

zorander6
08-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I just want a miniature giant space hamster that I can name boo.

licho
08-18-2011, 08:00 PM
How about ranger's pets?
it's really unfair!!!

I understand the sorrows of OP, many ppl will like to play class:
- good at range
- with useful buffs
- funny pet
- some special utylity abilities
- welcome in party

Now, the problem that we are not talking about rangers here. :-(

xandariant
08-19-2011, 03:18 AM
Yet rangers should get pets, even no this update. Its really not that much work to implement algorithm used in Artifacters on another class. What will be needed is only some changes in pet looks made in 3D so pets will change with lvl and you can basically choose 2 pets like: cat and wolf, no pets feats changes are needed and it can be done just in next patches if Turbine wants to make differences.

Yet I will say WE SHOULD GET PETS FOR RANGES ASAP.

Razcar
08-19-2011, 03:39 AM
I wouldn't mind more pets for other classes, but I'm slightly concerned that if too many classes get them there will be like a rampaging zoo in raids with litters of critters running around and creating havok ("No! No peeing on Harry's altar! Don't chew that book it's daddy's +4 tome!")

I keep hearing this characters name and despite the fact that I love reading fantasy novels, I haven't the slightest interest in touching those books and can't for the life of me figure out what all of the commotion is over that name.

I've read the first couple of books and IMO your assertion is largely correct. They are not very good, even when judging them on a benevolent fantasy scale. I think the popularity of the Drizzt character came because he was quite skillfully sculpted to resonate very strongly with slightly lost and geeky teenage boys. (Kind of like Twlight's Bella character, and her story and problems, was cunningly calculated to appeal to pre-teenage girls.)

Drizzt is misunderstood and badly treated by his community's authority figures, but breaks free when he gets out of high school and goes to college to meet other's like him... umm, sorry, gets out of Menzoberranzan and meets others of Good alignment. And he's like an awesome Drow with two scimitars and a pet panther! So a smart idea by Salvatore which has generated lots of money. He sure knew his target market well.

Teharahma
08-19-2011, 04:28 AM
I've read the first couple of books and IMO your assertion is largely correct. They are not very good, even when judging them on a benevolent fantasy scale. I think the popularity of the Drizzt character came because he was quite skillfully sculpted to resonate very strongly with slightly lost and geeky teenage boys. (Kind of like Twlight's Bella character, and her story and problems, was cunningly calculated to appeal to pre-teenage girls.)

Drizzt is misunderstood and badly treated by his community's authority figures, but breaks free when he gets out of high school and goes to college to meet other's like him... umm, sorry, gets out of Menzoberranzan and meets others of Good alignment. And he's like an awesome Drow with two scimitars and a pet panther! So a smart idea by Salvatore which has generated lots of money. He sure knew his target market well.

This is why society makes me sick :')

FuzzyDuck81
08-19-2011, 04:43 AM

Agree... "oh i'm so emo & angsty" yeah, whatever *Drizzit* go take a look at Fitzchivalry Farseer if you want to see a fantasy character that has problems... and a well written set of books to go with them :)

pHo3nix
08-19-2011, 04:58 AM
I wouldn't mind more pets for other classes, but I'm slightly concerned that if too many classes get them there will be like a rampaging zoo in raids with litters of critters running around and creating havok ("No! No peeing on Harry's altar! Don't chew that book it's daddy's +4 tome!")

I agree, Jarlaxle and Entreri are way better than Drizzt, although they appear in later books :)

Teufel_Hunden
08-19-2011, 08:06 AM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQUz89u84QJDC_bp2jTCEAm04WKn9uTf UhjwR_OgLNMD6aNcCK6rA

NaturalHazard
08-22-2011, 10:30 PM

Oh - and wizards should be able to also get some kind of homonculus - maybe not as powerful as Artificers - but something. They are the original crafters after all. (Where do you think all the golems came from?)

wizards and sorcs should get familiars.

NaturalHazard
08-22-2011, 10:32 PM

lolz largely correct, I prefered the other charactors to dritzz or what ever his name was. I would like to read a book where he gets his butt royally kicked.

Bodic
08-22-2011, 10:47 PM
How about ranger's pets?
it's really unfair!!!

They will come one day wait for the debuging process, and well try as you might not one single character from forgotten realms name can be used in DDO its not that they are taken you just can't, and sorry even when they do you will nott be granted an extraplaner creature.

mournbladereigns
08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
I'm gonna call my Artificer Man-At-Arms and his Dog Battlecat!

http://biomania.yolasite.com/resources/man%20at%20arms.jpg

http://www.luckyrob.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/batte-cat.jpg

Quarterling
08-23-2011, 12:24 AM
Starting a third petition to be able to carry your pet in a small ball the size of a baseball.

You mean like what Rich Burlew does to his paladin characters? Such as Miko Miyazaki? :D

(though why a horse says "pika" is way beyond me)

http://i.imgur.com/oxScy.png

edragoon148
08-23-2011, 01:00 AM

Starting a fourth petition to replace Taverns with "Gyms" that require you to pit your pet in one-on-one combat with the owner's. Badges are awarded and required for leveling.

fatherpirate
08-23-2011, 01:27 AM
well, if it was PnP the following 'pets' would be controlable

Artificer pet- takes commands
Druid pet AND summons - takes commands...druids can communicate with animals
Ranger Companion - limited commands, some tricks
Mage and Sorceror Familiar - complete control or commands
Hirelings - takes commands
Intel summons ...like a devil - takes commands..might obey them
PM pet - limited commands

That my take on it

MsEricka
08-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Cool I'm gonna play dungeons and dragons online! I wanna be just like Drizzt!

/rolls toon

Lets see if Drizzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzzzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzzzzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzzzzzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if Drizzzzzzzzzt is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if xDrizztx is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if xxDrizztxx is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if xxxDrizztxxx is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if xxxxDrizztxxxx is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if xDrizzztx is taken. oh no it is.
Lets see if xDrizzzztx is taken. oh no it is.

Close game

Just say no to using Drizzt and Guenhwyvar anywhere in the game and everyone will be fine.

Rakian_Knight
08-23-2011, 02:49 PM
All rangers who have any variation of drizzt in their name should be banned for copyright violation (and lamitude). Ditto for pet panthers.

But otherwise Rangers (and Druids) should have pets too.

This comic was my first thought when I read your comment so couldn't help but to share.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html

Anyway, I do believe that well most likely see rangers get their animal compainions before druids are released kind of as a beta. The artificer companions are the alpha, ranger companions will be the beta (since in pnp they are the same ability just ranger gets half levels), then we will have druids hopefully.

Doganpc
08-23-2011, 03:56 PM
Suppose the OP wants to choose between AA and Tempest too... Leave the pets, keep the feats.

Dogan
They're better.

budalic
08-23-2011, 04:11 PM
This comic was my first thought when I read your comment so couldn't help but to share.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0789.html

Anyway, I do believe that well most likely see rangers get their animal compainions before druids are released kind of as a beta. The artificer companions are the alpha, ranger companions will be the beta (since in pnp they are the same ability just ranger gets half levels), then we will have druids hopefully.

If pet does get released, I hope they will get rid of Ranger's companion being half-level compared to druid. Druid was much stronger class in PnP (and will probably be at least as strong as ranger in DDO, pet or no pet), Rangers need a buff currently in DDO anyway, and, most importantly, half-level pet = no pet in most cases.

Regarding OotS, I recall title of that comic was 'Also, his popularity has waned'. I immediately tought: 'Somebody should tell that to all Dreizzzzits in DDO'.

Tholar
08-23-2011, 04:57 PM
I have a Drizzzit, think that is the spelling. I have never played him.

He is just there to drive my guildies insane by being on the roster.

I made him a male half-elf and he can be found dancing on our ship from time to time.

fyrst.grok
08-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Congratulations - you are NOT emotionally challenged! ;p

azrael4h
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
Congratulations - you are NOT emotionally challenged! ;p

Don't make me get my twin scimitars; 'angst' and 'emo', after you! ;)

QuantumFX
08-23-2011, 05:19 PM
I’m still down with the idea of giving Rangers Animal Companions using the same system as Artificers. I think they could capture the P&P feel of “Lesser” Animal companions by making the “better” companions cost the ranger some AP's. (And, yes, I would give up the ranger summon spells to have this.)

Ex.
Canine Companion:
Companion Enhancements lean towards DPS
1 AP gets you a Wolf
2 AP gets you a Black Wolf
3 AP gets you a Winter Wolf

Feline Companion:
Companion Enhancements lean towards reactive damage
1 AP gets you a Panther
2 AP gets you a Lion
3 AP gets you a Razor Cat

Spider Companion (Requires FE: Vermin):
Companion Enhancements lean towards Casting
1 AP gets you a Brown Spider
2 AP gets you a Brown Spider Prince
3 AP gets you a Whatever the spiders that cast spells are

Scorpion Companion (Requires Race: drow or FE: Vermin):
Companion Enhancements lean towards heavy tanking (AC/DR) and poison
1 AP gets you a Night Scorpion
2 AP gets you a Large Monstrous Scorpion
3 AP gets you a Menecturan Scorpion

Chai
08-23-2011, 05:27 PM

Salvatore is an excellent author, but its not his protagonists that are well written. Its the villains, which later carry their own books, which become his best characters. The other books he has authored outside of his FR contracts are well done. He even admits in interviews that in the beginning, the Drizzt character was his shout out to the world that no matter what the problem, this character will conquer it, but nowdays the character is learning that no matter how much he tries to correct the wrongs of the world, he cant even begin to make a dent in their numbers, and also there are some forces as of late that have bested his efforts to win the day. The Pirate King is a perfect example of this.

Mister_Peace
08-23-2011, 05:36 PM
"Guenhwyvar"

Figurine of Wondrous Power + Handle Animal skill

not actually ranger animal companion

SarKarNor
08-23-2011, 06:27 PM
nobody cares that my Paladin doesn't get her pony

QuantumFX
08-23-2011, 06:51 PM
nobody cares that my Paladin doesn't get her pony

If a new class had a mount then we would be all over Turbine to implement those for Pallies.

wax_on_wax_off
08-23-2011, 09:30 PM

Gwen is there in my dreams!

Drakos
08-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Uh... I thought the pets for arti's was a way to see if the system worked so they could add ranger pets and familiars... Hmm.

I would be more inclined to think it was a means for them to test the Druids animal companion. I think they invented the mechanic for use with Druid and decided to test it with the Artificer since Drids were taking so long.

Muldamai
08-24-2011, 11:04 AM
Wizards should get familiars, but they only stand there to let you know how poorly you are playing. Every so often, they will address the whole party just to make sure everyone knows how poorly you are playing. Besides that, they should do nothing.

wax_on_wax_off
08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
I’m still down with the idea of giving Rangers Animal Companions using the same system as Artificers. I think they could capture the P&P feel of “Lesser” Animal companions by making the “better” companions cost the ranger some AP's. (And, yes, I would give up the ranger summon spells to have this.)

Ex.
Canine Companion:
Companion Enhancements lean towards DPS
1 AP gets you a Wolf
2 AP gets you a Black Wolf
3 AP gets you a Winter Wolf

Feline Companion:
Companion Enhancements lean towards reactive damage
1 AP gets you a Panther
2 AP gets you a Lion
3 AP gets you a Razor Cat

Spider Companion (Requires FE: Vermin):
Companion Enhancements lean towards Casting
1 AP gets you a Brown Spider
2 AP gets you a Brown Spider Prince
3 AP gets you a Whatever the spiders that cast spells are

Scorpion Companion (Requires Race: drow or FE: Vermin):
Companion Enhancements lean towards heavy tanking (AC/DR) and poison
1 AP gets you a Night Scorpion
2 AP gets you a Large Monstrous Scorpion
3 AP gets you a Menecturan Scorpion

I want my bear and badger companion option too!

Tholar
08-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I want my bear and badger companion option too!

Can mine be a honey badger?

Perspicacity
08-25-2011, 05:22 AM
If that is the case, what about the Paladins Mount? One of the main things a paladin has, and they left it out.

NO MOUNTS

That is all.

Lalangamena
08-25-2011, 05:47 AM
Can mine be a honey badger?

NO, because honey badger just dont give a f....k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Tholar
08-25-2011, 10:17 AM
NO, because honey badger just dont give a f....k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

I figured that may be the case.

spiritadrft
08-26-2011, 01:45 PM
I think that there are some Major problems with the way that summon monster spells work, and I hope that Artificers can help to balance and address some of these issues, they really are a very important and fun aspect of any Fantasy based MMO and D&D in particular.[/QUOTE]

I whole heatedly agree with just about all you have said..this is a nice ending..we shall see what comes along the way...