PDA

View Full Version : how do I tell them apart?

puget
08-17-2011, 07:35 PM
Ok, I have said it before, and I say it again, I am an Etard with electronics.

How do I tell the Lamannia client from the live client?

I have 3 or 4 clients, and the icons all look the same, I downloaded Lam in the last update, but now cant find it, it is not in the Lam program files *I thought I sent it to the desktop after I downloaded it* but all of them open the live client.

windows search is not helping in the startbar, and whenever I poke my nose into things on my machine where I have no business, things always seem to go awry......I don't want to reinstall windows for the 7th time if I can help it.

I tried searching ddolamannia.exe, DDOLamannia, DDOLamannia.exe, and about 5 other variations of the same basic search.

UPDATE: I found it, unless they released the updates live, I found one that is currently downloading updates.

Culver.Civello
08-17-2011, 07:40 PM
The Lamannia one says '(preview)' at the end. I made shortcuts for both and renamed them myself :P

One I named 'DDO', and the other 'Lamannia'

puget
08-17-2011, 07:42 PM
The Lamannia one says '(preview)' at the end. I made shortcuts for both and renamed them myself :P

One I named 'DDO', and the other 'Lamannia'

Yeah, I would have as well, but I am not getting an option when I right click it for a shortcut. So I just pinned it to my start bar as soon as I read the launcher full of Lam stuff.

I have nothing pinned to the startbar, so I can't screw that one up.

NM, I can screw it up, I just hope by not touching without need I won't though.

EDIT: And mine doesn't say preview at the end, it LOOKS 100% identical to the live client option. Must be nice. I am envious of you now. Lucky bat turd.

I learned it can be clicked and dragged to make a shortcut as well. TY Culver.

Alabore
08-18-2011, 05:17 AM
How do I tell the Lamannia client from the live client?

I grabbed an alternative icon from an icon pack and slapped it in place of the old gold on red "&" device.
Also, renamed main client to DDO Eberron, and the Lama client to DDO Lamannia.

-> http://www.veryicon.com/icons/game/mega-games-pack-34/dungeons-dragons-online-2.html

:)

Shade
08-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Computer 101
To rename a shortcut in windows:
Single left click to select.
Press F2.
Type name
Press return

Ryiah
08-18-2011, 07:18 AM
Single left click to select.
Press F2.
Type name
Press return

That's interesting to know, but after seeing how some people spend more than a few seconds finding a single key, it might be better to just tell them to click the shortcut once, wait half a second, and click it again around the vicinity of the file's name. It will allow them to rename it.

Oh and I have to say - Windows 7's search feature built into the Start Menu is by far their best addition. I stopped navigating long ago. Now I just use the first three or four letters of the application. "ddo" for live, "lam" for Lamannia. :D

Shade
08-18-2011, 07:21 AM
That's interesting to know, but after seeing how some people spend more than a few seconds finding a single key, it might be better to just tell them to click the shortcut once, wait half a second, and click it again around the vicinity of the file's name. It will allow them to rename it.

heh nope, Trust me.. I've done some minimal tech support over the phone and that kinda thing is impossible for the less tech savy.

They up clicking too long and draging the icon somewhere bad, or clicking too fast and launching the program.

Then programs launched and the icons in the trash bin and .. yea lol.

Better let them search for a couple mins for the F2 key, at least they cant mess that up (well not as easily).