PDA

View Full Version : Two quick artificer questions (more flavor oriented)

brinclhof
08-17-2011, 04:07 PM
So currently Artificers are crossbow based. So what is the minimum dex you need to be effective with the cross bow and still be proficient with melee.

I played wit the character builder briefly for starting stats....this looked kinda funny but could be a decent all around build. want another opinion

32 point build
str 14
dex 14
con 14
int 16
wis 8
cha 12

Also do we have the ability to name our construct pets so when we summon them they show up on the screen with a name...or just Iron companion....

ChronicGenius1
08-17-2011, 04:26 PM
Though I prefer using the crossbows my self, having used repeater rogues before, I would say just go pure melee and not split your stats. Like 16, 8, 16, 16, 8, 10. Just use maces until you can get the rune arms that give the proficiencies (or take the feat if you want to). Splitting your stats like that will make you less effective later.

And for the naming thing, right click over the picture of the defender on the hireling bar and select view character sheet. There should be an option to name your pet.

Unsure1
08-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Half Elf Repeater Artie with a barb dilatantte. starting stats 10str 16dex 16con 16int 8wis and 8cha (i believe)
at lvl 6 i had 119hp with both toughness feat and barb toughness enhancement with 2natural dr. and nothing sofar except special mobs (landslide) (Wraiths) actually get close enough to hit me.

also there are spells u get to take attack rolls off of your int instead of dex with a xbow

Captain_Anarchy
09-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Half Elf Repeater Artie with a barb dilatantte. starting stats 10str 16dex 16con 16int 8wis and 8cha (i believe)
at lvl 6 i had 119hp with both toughness feat and barb toughness enhancement with 2natural dr. and nothing sofar except special mobs (landslide) (Wraiths) actually get close enough to hit me.

also there are spells u get to take attack rolls off of your int instead of dex with a xbow

That spell, BTW, is Insightful Damage/Attack, and you get it at level 3 IIRC.

Shade
09-05-2011, 03:59 PM
18 base imo if you don't plan on putting level up points in it.

Tho i prefer sticking to hard/elite/epic content..

If you mainly run normal, you can get by with 16 perhaps.

But far as being proficient at both melee and ranged combat whats primarily - jack of all trades, master of none class to begin with that focuses on spellcasting and ranged.. Not really.. Tho they do get a lot of bonus feats, they are frankly a terrible melee class..
So to be even a passable melee on one, you really need to devote 100% of your attention to it.

You can get either
- passable ranged, and great spell casting tho.
- Or maxxed ranged, and passable spell casting.
-Or passable melee, and workable (mainly just buffing) spell casting.

Any of those 3 focus combos should work well.

Dirichlet
09-06-2011, 01:56 AM
You're looking at reaching 19 Dex for Improves Precise Shot (probably 17 base + 2 tome), then as much in Int as possible (probably level ups here) for damage, while keeping a reasonable Con score. That leaves you nothing for Str.

Just going with 32 point Human/Helf for arguments sake, going:

Dex: 17
Con: 14
Int: 17

and you've already used all your build points. In other words Str = 8.

Drow is actually slightly better off, even with their 28 points. The same Dex/Con/Int leaves you 2 spare points for 10 Str.

Get this, with those same Dex/Con/Int figures, guess which race can achieve the highest starting Str? Halfling. Hah!

But that's just bonus points for carrying capacity. You won't be able to hit or damage anything. If you want a side of melee on a crossbow based build, (can't believe I'm gonna suggest this) go Finesse. You can use Insightful Damage like with crossbows (so long as it's one hander + Rune Arm), so you're in the same boat: Dex for hit, Int for damage.

wax_on_wax_off
09-06-2011, 03:57 AM
Depends what you're going for.

I've imagined that on my melee build (8 dex) that I can cast insightful strikes or insightful damage and just use the crossbow for the approach with Endless Fusillade blazing before I close to melee distance and pull out my Bastard Sword. What Shade said was right on that if you are going to go melee then you have to do it all the way (16 str to qualify for GTHF with a +1 tome, 14 con, 18 int+level ups).

On any other build melee won't really be an option as it will be better just to kite and pew pew.

I don't really see that rapier + weapon finesse would be viable as it is lacking any sort of glancing blows (which is the basis for melee damage for Artificers using Bastard Sword/Dwarven Axes).

Dirichlet
09-06-2011, 04:16 AM
I don't really see that rapier + weapon finesse would be viable as it is lacking any sort of glancing blows (which is the basis for melee damage for Artificers using Bastard Sword/Dwarven Axes).

Another thing is you wouldn't qualify for Power Attack. Halfling could just about manage starting with 11/17/14/17 and a +2 tome, but really you'd want to be going 8/17/14/18 if your focus is on the crossbows. It seems like a melee basis can get more out of ranged than a ranged basis can get out of melee.