PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: port for iPad/tablets

wax_on_wax_off
08-16-2011, 09:45 PM
Let's get the best mmo onto the app store :)

Is this possible? It seems that the system requirements of ddo are low enough that the iPad should be able to handle it.

It's an excellent source of potential revenue as the market is a huge growth area and people are looking for games which suit their interests and the microtransaction nature of ddo is perfect for this.

Adapting controls for an iPad would be challenging of course but DDO can be played purely point and click so it is possible at least to implement it in that sense. The accelerometer could be used for mouse look or for movement or both interchangeably.

Make it happen, please?

puget
08-16-2011, 10:53 PM
Nice idea I think. What is there to lose.....I think even most cell phones these days could probably run DDO, I ca stream movies better with mine than on the computer........

kuro_zero
08-16-2011, 11:08 PM
Processor prowess and graphical prowess are two very different things. The new Tegra processors can push out some amazing graphics, but your talking about massive optimization to be able to decompress all the game assests on a mobile processor. You would literally need to code a new game.

And DDO is much too fast paced for touch controls.

Dwane_Diblie
08-17-2011, 01:14 AM
I can see how clickies and the such would work but how would you controll movement and more importantly the way the characters attach?

altrocks
08-17-2011, 01:21 AM
They can barely keep the game running on fully powered PC's at the moment between massive lag problems and memory leaks. And you want them to waste time porting it to crappy mobile devices?

<NotSureIfSerious.jpg>

whitehawk74
08-17-2011, 02:05 AM
No way.
If the devs are going to spend time on something, this isnt it.
The market for it would be way too small for the bother anyway.

append: DDO needs to become multi-threading first. This would really help.

MsEricka
08-17-2011, 03:49 AM
/not signed

Lets not waste developer time by making a port that would be of low usage and therefore low return.

silvermesh
08-17-2011, 04:07 AM
/not signed
its a decent idea. I've toyed with it myself. I've actually got a 3D MMO for my android phone with decent graphics.
the problem with ddo is control. I think you vastly underestimate how much ddo uses different keys and functions. I play using a PS3 controller which has something like sixteen buttons and two control sticks. using one of the shoulder buttons as a "shift key" function to add a second command to each button I still play with the keyboard at hand for things I simply can't fit on the gamepad. you are talking about removing ALL the buttons. even a vanilla melee needs at least one hotbar worth of commands if he wants to contribute.

Mat59765
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
rather than the actual game being ported on to ipads etc what about a build planner type tool maybe an inventory management app to, theres build planners programs for pc etc so i doubt itd be too difficult (time consuming) to code an app version, itd pull in a little revenue on sales if you make it cheap and people download all sorts of cheap apps and stuff some people might sign up to play after seeing the app

Goldeneye
08-17-2011, 04:55 PM
iPad wouldn't be able to hand it... not until they put a graphics card in it.

k1ngp1n
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
Is this possible? It seems that the system requirements of ddo are low enough that the iPad should be able to handle it.

I think you highly overestimate the performance of the iPad.

R0cksteady
08-18-2011, 07:44 AM
I think you highly overestimate the performance of the iPad.

People who don't overestimate the performance of iPads, don't buy iPads. So why does this surprise you?

whitehawk74
08-18-2011, 10:02 AM
.. and here's proof
http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/job-fails-id-also-like-to-see-it-compared-to-actual-apples.jpg

k1ngp1n
08-18-2011, 01:59 PM
So why does this surprise you?

It doesn't at all.

I've been eyeballing this: Asus EP121 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220961). Would be really handy for work.

muffinlad
08-18-2011, 04:30 PM
.. and here's proof
http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/job-fails-id-also-like-to-see-it-compared-to-actual-apples.jpg

You might want to put a green check on the Pictures/video and a ? for Skype -phone on the Ipad now.

I would think they need to wait a few more generations before they take it to the Ipad...just a hunch this suggestion might be a bit early. The Rock will pretty much always have it beat as a giant killer as well....meaning actual giants.

muffinipadowner

voodoogroves
08-18-2011, 04:34 PM
One day I'll try running DDO in a hosted / VDI model, but that day isn't today.

Magil
08-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I'd rather see a port to other OS platforms before a phone gets it.

In any case, I don't think the iPad could handle it anyway.

wax_on_wax_off
08-18-2011, 11:20 PM
.. and here's proof

Umm ... iPad 2 (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/) ...
Phone = Skype = tick
Takes Photos = tick
Takes Videos = tick
1080p = tick
HDMI output = tick
3rd party apps = app store?
Good Games = app store? I've been playing games on my iPhone for ages.
Survive 6" drop = iphone can ... Otterbox ftw :)
Focking $500+ = welll ... it's $499 apparently, zing?

I don't have an iPad 2 but I kind of want one ...

Furthermore, it has a dual core 1 Ghz processor. I've been playing an MMO on my iPhone lately which has a much smaller screen and it is really fun. Little Joystick for movement. Up to 12 abilities visible. For DDO you could activate various hotbar abilities by simply pressing on them with your finger. Sure, some builds would be more possible than others due to hot bar overcrowding but it could work for many builds and for others adjustments could be made (loading various hotbar setups perhaps for different situations).

Fact is, this is a growth area as people love to have accessible gaming which isn't restricted to a big lunky computer.

Even at home it would be great to be crafting on your crafting toon on the iPad 2 while questing on the normal computer ...

Perhaps start with an inventory app to interact with the auction house while not in game? Would be great to be able to buy and sell while out and about.

BOgre
08-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I'd rather see a port to mac first, and then linux. Once it's on linux then it's a pretty easy sidestep to iphone/ipad. Although i like the samsung tab waaay better.

Grenada
08-19-2011, 12:14 AM
If they even just opened up barbarian and fighter, max level 5, korthos island only. also solo only (ie not online), it would at least bring more attention to the game (its a pretty nice looking game...).

imagine how many more people would actually join ddo if they happened to stumble upon it in the app store once. (the only reason i found out about this game was i was looking for things related to pnp dnd, and not everyone plays that with much intensity, if at all.)

jakeelala
08-19-2011, 12:21 AM
yeah just port to OSx already. It runs x86 code for chrissakes now on Intel chips! How hard is that?

wax_on_wax_off
08-19-2011, 01:50 AM
I'd rather see a port to mac first, and then linux. Once it's on linux then it's a pretty easy sidestep to iphone/ipad. Although i like the samsung tab waaay better.

There is already a working port to linux/osx here (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=17785).

I've been playing on OSX for more than a year. There are some stability issues but that is true of playing on windows as well. It never stopped me from raiding or anything like that.

If they even just opened up barbarian and fighter, max level 5, korthos island only. also solo only (ie not online), it would at least bring more attention to the game (its a pretty nice looking game...).

imagine how many more people would actually join ddo if they happened to stumble upon it in the app store once. (the only reason i found out about this game was i was looking for things related to pnp dnd, and not everyone plays that with much intensity, if at all.)

I think this is a great idea. Code it for Korthos Island only and see what the response is. I don't think that it would be necessary to limit the classes as all classes are pretty simple in the first few levels and would be easy to implement on a touchscreen. I don't even think it would be necessary to make it offline as I've played MMO's on the iPhone which have no problem supporting up to 5 players in a fast paced game.

The issue with the whole idea in the extreme instance is that 3G internet connections probably can't support raid environments.