PDA

View Full Version : Standard Dagger Rogue Build?

dsmith93
08-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm new to the game and I'm wondering if anyone could reccomend a fairly simple Human Rogue Build

I just want it to be a standard rogue build, The type of rogue that uses two daggers and focuses on melee, Any help is appreciated thanks.

TheDearLeader
08-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Is there a particular reason you want to use daggers? Is this perhaps something from Pen and Paper D&D that you've just assumed should carry over?

Most Rogues in DDO that go the TWF route tend toward Khopeshes and Rapiers, is why I ask. Both have *much* better damage profiles to them.

dsmith93
08-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Is there a particular reason you want to use daggers? Is this perhaps something from Pen and Paper D&D that you've just assumed should carry over?

Most Rogues in DDO that go the TWF route tend toward Khopeshes and Rapiers, is why I ask. Both have *much* better damage profiles to them.

I actually don't have much experience with DDO, I was basing the Daggers off of other games I have played, Such as WoW or Rift most rogues use daggers. What I'm after is an Assassin, Someone who strikes using stealth but that could sound like complete nonsense since I don't know much about DDOs game mechanics

Varhann
08-16-2011, 03:42 PM
This build has always treated me well.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=204337

Someone turned me on to it when I just started DDO and it's held up well over the last 2 years.

dkyle
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I actually don't have much experience with DDO, I was basing the Daggers off of other games I have played, Such as WoW or Rift most rogues use daggers. What I'm after is an Assassin, Someone who strikes using stealth but that could sound like complete nonsense since I don't know much about DDOs game mechanics

Daggers, unfortunately, have no compelling reason to use them. For a Rogue, Shortswords are strictly better, and Rapiers are almost certainly better still. Assassins do exist (they are a type of Rogue; generally regarded as the best type), but they gain no benefit from using daggers.

The only advantage is that daggers are so undesirable, that they're relatively cheap to buy from people. But you can always start with cheap daggers, but build towards better weapons. At high level, the best weapons are bound (untradeable) crafted/named ones anyway, so the cost difference is irrelevant.

dsmith93
08-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Daggers, unfortunately, have no compelling reason to use them. For a Rogue, Shortswords are strictly better, and Rapiers are almost certainly better still. Assassins do exist (they are a type of Rogue; generally regarded as the best type), but they gain no benefit from using daggers.

The only advantage is that daggers are so undesirable, that they're relatively cheap to buy from people.

Well if Rapiers are the best I shall use Rapiers, Might you have a build that is sort of what im looking for? A standard assassin that focuses on melee

dkyle
08-16-2011, 03:51 PM
Well if Rapiers are the best I shall use Rapiers, Might you have a build that is sort of what im looking for? A standard assassin that focuses on melee

Varhann's link looks good to me. It's for a Khopesh build, which is better DPS than a Rapier, but costs a feat to use effectively. Rogues get Rapiers naturally.

dsmith93
08-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Varhann's link looks good to me. It's for a Khopesh build, which is better DPS than a Rapier, but costs a feat to use effectively. Rogues get Rapiers naturally.

Would The Khopesh or this build be better http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1302420#post1302420

dkyle
08-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Would The Khopesh or this build be better http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1302420#post1302420

They're very similar, but overall, I'd go with Impaqt's build.

Sigtrent's is a little better at traps, but a Rogue is really about DPS, and Impaqt's has the advantage there. And traps aren't really that hard to get. As a new player, you might struggle a bit to get gear for it as you level, but ultimately, a Rogue can get all the important traps with just 6 INT.

You might want to take the Mechanic enhancements from level 1 to 11 to help with your traps. You can easily respec your enhancements to Assassin at 12 (it just costs a little plat). Before 12, Assassin doesn't really do much.

FrozenNova
08-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Rogues arn't too difficult to draft up.

Finesse rogues use their spare feat for Weapon Finesse, and use rapiers.
Strength rogues use their spare feat for Khopesh, and deal somewhat higher damage, while having somewhat lower reflex. The difference isn't huge, since the major portion of a rogue's damage, sneak damage, is applied equally regardless of weapon - but strength rogues are generally preferred, as they're better able to combat targets with fortification, which counters sneak damage.

With the U11 change to damage boost, there are three rogue races, human, halfling, and horc.

Human provides its own 25% damage boost that can be activated at the same time as haste boost, hence its place in the list. The extra feat also lets you grab sap. Helf/barbarian wouldn't be a terrible choice, but not something I'd consider primarily.

Halfling recieve a +8 bonus to sneak damage, and bonuses to reflex.
Horcs recieve bonuses to strength, and power attack bonuses.

The three are fairly similar in terms of damage capacity, with horc just above halfling over time, and humans winning the burst dps contest.

28pt newbie stats -
Race: Str/dex/con/int/wis/cha
Human: 15/16/14/12/8/8
Halfling: 14/16/14/12/8/8
Horc: 16/16/14/12/8/6

Levelup stats:
Level 8 into Dexterity
All others into Strength

Skills (Max each level) -
Balance, Jump, UMD, Spot, Search, Disable Device, Hide, Move Silently, Open Locks
Humans choose one out of bluff, diplomacy, haggle.
One rank in Tumble at creation, take one out of balance.

Feats -
1) Toughness
1:human) Sap
3) Two weapon fighting
6) Khopesh or Power Attack
9) Improved two weapon fighting
12) Improved Critical:Slashing
15) Greater two weapon fighting
18) Left of Khopesh or Power attack

Power attack at level 6 won't be too useful for you, you'll miss too often. Neither will khopesh, they'll be too expensive to be worth the investment over rapiers. What I'd recommend would be taking power attack at 6, using rapiers until 18, and taking improved critical: piercing instead at 12, then swapping it for slashing at 18. Every toon gets one free feat swap, which can be used to make feat order more pleasant.

Enhancements are simple enough. Make sure to grab the rogue enhancements for sneak damage, stealth speed, and the Assassin PrE. Make sure to grab all toughness enhancements available.
Halflings make sure to grab the full halfling guile line, and potentially halfling companion.
Halforcs make sure to grab the bonuses to strength and power attack and action boost uses.
Humans make sure to grab the human versatility line, and adaptability: strength and constitution.

Basic advice -

Trap skill gear needs to be up to date 100% of the time for reliable skills in at-level elites.
That means roughly every odd level, you need to grab new Search, Spot and Disable gear.
This is expensive. Optimally, excluding named gear you want search and disable goggles, and a ring of spot.

Most of your damage will come from sneak damage. You recieve this whenever an enemy is not attacking you. Enemies automatically attack the first thing they see, so try to make sure they see the barbarian first. Stealth helps if you don't want to wait. If an enemy is attacking you, either - ignore it and attack something else, bluff it and continue attacking it, or use diplomacy and attack something else.

Make sure you carry appropriate anti-undead, anti-construct and anti-elemental weaponry. Your sneak damage doesn't affect these targets, so without ideal weaponry you'll be hardly contributing.

Carry a handful of potions of Fox's cunning and Heroism. These combined will boost your search and disable by four when necessary.

Acquire gear to boost your UMD as much as possible. 39 is the basic magic number, for Heal scrolls. People will expect a competant rogue to be healing using wands and scrolls, and raising the dead. A breakdown may look like..
23 ranks
03 charisma (8+2 tome+6 item)
03 competance bonus (persuasion item, golden cartouche, etc)
02 good luck (Craftable, or Head of good fortune)
06 greensteel exceptional charisma skills
04 Greater heroism (scroll, planar gird, or draconic necklace)
for 41. (40, for a horc with a cha penalty).

More experienced players will usually forgo spot (you remember where the traps are easily enough) and rarely put max ranks in open lock (in every mandatory situation, lock dc's are low enough to be simple with gear and buffs).

stille_nacht
08-16-2011, 05:41 PM
yeahh unfortunately there is not attack speed difference between different weapons.

as well as the builds others have suggested here is another: (this is a list of builds for new players, includes rogue and other classes)
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660

also, as a new player, i would strongly consider going rapier, simply because they are much. much. cheaper/easier to find on the auction house.