PDA

View Full Version : Faster logging in and switching servers?

Afyndax
08-12-2011, 10:15 AM
It seems to take an aweful long time to actually get in the game. You have the iniitial launcher stuff (checks), then I think 3 different splashscreens, the final one which is for your zone with hints... and has a blue bar that seems to move very slowly. It isn´t a problem with my connection.. ping is good.

And is there a way to switch to a different character on a different server without logging all the way out and starting the process again? If you just want to log in to check the status of the AH, it takes way too long.

Morosy
08-12-2011, 06:25 PM
It seems to take an aweful long time to actually get in the game. You have the iniitial launcher stuff (checks), then I think 3 different splashscreens, the final one which is for your zone with hints... and has a blue bar that seems to move very slowly. It isn´t a problem with my connection.. ping is good.

And is there a way to switch to a different character on a different server without logging all the way out and starting the process again? If you just want to log in to check the status of the AH, it takes way too long.

No, I've actually looked through some things for it and it seems quite a few other people have wanted it too, for a long time. But no luck so far for it.

Uska
08-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Been asking since the game started no luck yet but havent given up hope yet. I mean we are finally getting artificers

DoctorWhofan
08-12-2011, 06:27 PM
No on the servers.

as for logging quickly, log off in a tavern that doesn't have PvP. You can gain a few seconds there. Well, it works for me.

EllisDee37
08-13-2011, 02:02 AM
One tip I've read is that there is a memory leak in the game when switching characters, and my experience seems to confirm this. My old/slow computer can run the game pretty well, but switching characters more than twice results in so much in-game lag that I have to close the game and restart it. (I also defrag my hard drive before restarting the game; only takes a couple minutes with Diskeeper.)

Nowadays I limit switching characters to once per login, meaning the second time I switch characters involves exiting the game first.

as for logging quickly, log off in a tavern that doesn't have PvP. You can gain a few seconds there. Well, it works for me.This was changed in a recent update so that now logging off in any common area is the faster speed, not just taverns.

Frotz
08-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Didn't have *really* long load times before but recently upgraded various aspects of my comp and had to reinstall and am now getting much slower initial load times. It could be just that now I can run Very High texture detail and that naturally takes longer to load. It is the disk queue that shoots up without much of a transfer rate which seems to be the source of the delay. I recall some post about the file access control in the OS being rather borky with the DDO installation (thus causing the OS to think much too hard when accessing the files, which may be backed-up by the observation of a large disk queue without much transfer), but don't recall what the supposed fix was. :)

Afyndax
08-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure there was nothing I was doing wrong, or something I was missing with switching servers. All that said, it is just a minor annoyance, much rather have the devs adding content..

Garix
08-14-2011, 11:05 AM
You say its all fine your end as your ping is good but (story time) just upgrade mine and the wife's laptops - shes gone from 7-10 minutes (4-5 for me) from clicking on the launcher to being able to move, to being in game and moving in around 60 seconds....Solid State HD's have made a huge difference (for us - YMMV)

Shade
08-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Buy an SSD. (Solid state drive, they are quite affordable these days, check NCIX.com)

I can log in near-instantly.

On lamannia, log in times are under 30 seconds, due to low server load.
On live severs, im limited to how fast the server can talk to me.. So it still takes a minute, as it has to load the client up with everyones name/stats whos logged in, and it has a bandwidth cap that ensures thats slow.

Bodic
08-14-2011, 11:31 AM
One tip I've read is that there is a memory leak in the game when switching characters, and my experience seems to confirm this. My old/slow computer can run the game pretty well, but switching characters more than twice results in so much in-game lag that I have to close the game and restart it. (I also defrag my hard drive before restarting the game; only takes a couple minutes with Diskeeper.)

Nowadays I limit switching characters to once per login, meaning the second time I switch characters involves exiting the game first.

This was changed in a recent update so that now logging off in any common area is the faster speed, not just taverns.

a low population low instance area is still better(faster) than logging on/off than the Market.

@ OP You have to switch servers means a different routing so that takes longer.

I can full reboot my PC going from in game to tower shutdown and back in game inside 5 minutes that is nothing as far as time concerns.

Afyndax
08-14-2011, 11:47 AM
a low population low instance area is still better(faster) than logging on/off than the Market.

@ OP You have to switch servers means a different routing so that takes longer.

I can full reboot my PC going from in game to tower shutdown and back in game inside 5 minutes that is nothing as far as time concerns.

hate to compare games. But going from ´clicking icon to launch game´ to ´character movement´. WOW is 45 seconds, DDO is 4 minutes. Going from ´character on server A´ to moving a character on server B is similar, WOW is around 30 seconds.. DDO is at 4 mins.

When you are starting up the game and planning on playing for an hour or two, it is no big deal. When you want to scan auctions or check mail on 2 or more servers, it is a noticeable.

But I just wanted to make sure there wasn´t something I was doing wrong..

Smitey
08-14-2011, 12:27 PM
going from ´clicking icon to launch game´ to ´character movement´. WOW is 45 seconds, DDO is 4 minutes.

For me in the UK (ping~115) clicking icon to launch game to character selection is 35 seconds (timing fresh launches)
Loading a selected character (the blue bar tip screen you refer to) is then around 20 seconds on top.

Under a minute in all 5 tests using 2 diferent alts

Tech info: I'm using OCZ Vertex2 solid state hard disk with 8Gb ram and 2month old install of Win7SP1 64bit with latest Mod10 client patched to 10.2