PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Pure 20 WF Wiz

Zogdor
07-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Any good builds or tips for a pure WF Wiz? I'm currently levelling a Wiz/rogue but am planning on reincarnating +2 to pure Wiz once I hit 20, so any help/tips would be gratefully appreciated :)

Zogdor
07-25-2011, 05:01 PM
This toon is my first attempt at an arcane, so I'm still learning really! Any help whatsoever would be gratefully appreciated :)

The_Brave2
07-25-2011, 06:05 PM
well, seeing as you already rolled the toon, so i guess the only advice i can think of is for gear/Enhancements:

5-Piece Epic Abashi - Amazing.
Rahkirrs ring6/1/2int/belt - A Must
Other ring: ToD ring w/ something/+1/2con
Staff of the Petitoner - Necro/Enchantment FTW
Docent of the Diabolist - +7 INT

I would sugest going Enchantment focus as your primary and necro as your secondary, untill you can up your DC's high enough to be viable CC in epics having Enchantment as your secondary. Some people swear by having Conj. spec as their secondary or even primary for the archmage web SLA but personally I wouldnt recommend it. enchantment is still by far the best CC for epics. Shoot for about a 42-44 on your enchantment DC before you reverse your spec, you should be able to have a sustainable 41 DC on enchant and 43 on your necro, including ship buffs and yugo pots. with a +3 tome you can up those to 42/44.

Enhancements:

Ice/Elec spec - for Niacs and Eladars surge
*take theese after you have figured out all of your other points into archmage/arcane sigil*
**note you cant fully spec into both of theese so you do about 6 teirs of each of the damage and 1 tier of crit chance/damage, change for preference**

the SLA's of Hypno and Resistable dance are amazing, huge sp saver for epics.

Zogdor
07-26-2011, 11:17 AM
Thank you for that. I have already rolled the toon, but I will effectively be re-rolling as soon as I hit 20.

A lot of what you have written is still pretty foreign to me as I'm that new to being an arcane! However, it gives me a few pointers as to what I should aim at investigating further! Thanks for the advice, I've now got some homework to do :)

jaegarnel
07-26-2011, 12:21 PM
As a warforged wizard, you'll have 1 less dc than human or drow, but you compensate with much better survivability (higher hp + construct spells).
Since you don't need the self healing, you should probably go with the archmage PrE instead of pale master (it gives more than the self healing, so if you love the idea of going necromancy, still go pm).

If you really want max survivability, you could take 2 levels of rogue or monk to get evasion, making you nearly immune to most attack spells if you take insightful reflex. That would take a chunk out of your offensive power (1 less dc, 2 less spell penetration, 2 less caster lvl, 1 less feat), but WF's main advantage is not dying when another race would anyway.

Otherwise, go full wizard, as an archmage, taking 2 of enchantment/necromancy/conjuration as primary and secondary school focuses is best. Enchantment and Conjuration are great for Crowd Control, especially at lower lvl for conjuration (web is probably the best cc spell in the game for its cost), higher lvl for enchantment with charm monster, Otto's dancing sphere and mass hold monster. Necromancy is great at higher levels for the insta-kill spells, and good at lower levels for CC (scare, fear).

You should make use of the SLAs of those schools too, 1 sp hypnotism, 3 sp resistible dance and 3 sp web are by far the most cost-effective forms of CC in the game. Necromancy unfortunately doesn't have anything good except 10 sp enervation, but that's a lot of max sp taken out of your blue bar for a spell you probably won't use all that often.

richieelias27
07-26-2011, 01:09 PM
As a warforged wizard, you'll have 1 less dc than human or drow, but you compensate with much better survivability (higher hp + construct spells).

WF only has -1 DC over human if your final INT as a Warforged is an odd number. Otherwise they have an equal spell DC.

jaegarnel
07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
WF only has -1 DC over human if your final INT as a Warforged is an odd number. Otherwise they have an equal spell DC.

No, you're forgetting that human can get +1 int from adaptability. With that +1, they get in the same int bracket with top gear as a drow.

The_Brave2
07-26-2011, 01:45 PM
higher lvl for enchantment with charm monster, Otto's dancing sphere and mass hold monster. Necromancy is great at higher levels for the insta-kill spells, and good at lower levels for CC (scare, fear).

You should make use of the SLAs of those schools too, 1 sp hypnotism, 3 sp resistible dance and 3 sp web are by far the most cost-effective forms of CC in the game

NO, using Charm Monster at any level is a mistake, it slows down the quest and is a waste of a spell slot

1sp Hypno 3sp Dance are amazing, the 3sp web some people swear by but I fail to find use for it, the way I built my WF Archmage was Necro/Enchantment and I love it. Necro because I run epics constantly and it owns, having a 44 DC with a +3 tome and a Wiz PL makes it even better, having conj as your secondary baisicly screws you if you have necro as your main because you wont be able to get your dancing ball above 40, even with top gear, my enchantment is currently sitting at 42 and works perfectly. The 3sp Web is nice the the cooldown on it is ridic and personally I just found it aggrovating.

Most of the endgame content that I end up running is stuff like eDA/eChrono where there are fire mobs that will make a web spec utterly useless, so I couldnt justify a conj spec.

If you go pure CC, Enchantment/Conj it would be a great choice, boring imo since you wouldnt be able to death spell stuff, but you would be an unstoppable CC bot.

jaegarnel
07-26-2011, 02:17 PM
NO, using Charm Monster at any level is a mistake, it slows down the quest and is a waste of a spell slot

1sp Hypno 3sp Dance are amazing, the 3sp web some people swear by but I fail to find use for it, the way I built my WF Archmage was Necro/Enchantment and I love it. Necro because I run epics constantly and it owns, having a 44 DC with a +3 tome and a Wiz PL makes it even better, having conj as your secondary baisicly screws you if you have necro as your main because you wont be able to get your dancing ball above 40, even with top gear, my enchantment is currently sitting at 42 and works perfectly. The 3sp Web is nice the the cooldown on it is ridic and personally I just found it aggrovating.

Most of the endgame content that I end up running is stuff like eDA/eChrono where there are fire mobs that will make a web spec utterly useless, so I couldnt justify a conj spec.

If you go pure CC, Enchantment/Conj it would be a great choice, boring imo since you wouldnt be able to death spell stuff, but you would be an unstoppable CC bot.

Charm monster is very useful at lower levels if you want to solo stuff. Charming just one mob will likely get it killed very fast if it's in a pack, and it's extra time to get yourself out of a sticky situation or cast the right spell to deal with that pack.
Even in a party it's situationally useful. For instance, charming the mobs on top of the ridges in Madstone Crater, since your melees can't kill them anyway.

I do agree that necromancy is probably the best end-game school currently, but it suffers from a lack of really good spells until circle of death. I was worried about not having good enough DCs since it's my first character, so I went full CC on my archmage. At least if one CC spell doesn't work, you can try another with a different save, while if your necro DC can't beat a mob's fortitude save, you're out of luck.

3 sp heightened webs are amazingly useful to me, at my level anyway (doing Vale stuff right now).

The_Brave2
07-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Charm monster is very useful at lower levels if you want to solo stuff. Charming just one mob will likely get it killed very fast if it's in a pack, and it's extra time to get yourself out of a sticky situation or cast the right spell to deal with that pack.
Even in a party it's situationally useful. For instance, charming the mobs on top of the ridges in Madstone Crater, since your melees can't kill them anyway.

I do agree that necromancy is probably the best end-game school currently, but it suffers from a lack of really good spells until circle of death. I was worried about not having good enough DCs since it's my first character, so I went full CC on my archmage. At least if one CC spell doesn't work, you can try another with a different save, while if your necro DC can't beat a mob's fortitude save, you're out of luck.

3 sp heightened webs are amazingly useful to me, at my level anyway (doing Vale stuff right now).

Charm monster is useless at any level.
If you are having problems with survivability you are doing something wrong, on a WF wiz you baisicly rule DDO and can solo baisicly anything, charm is useless in madstone because of the invis trick.

Thats why you get your necro DC high enough as to where nothing will save on it, and if they do, throw a energy drain.

All advice im giving is focused on endgame, anything except endgame content is irrelivent :D

jaegarnel
07-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Charm monster is useless at any level.
If you are having problems with survivability you are doing something wrong, on a WF wiz you baisicly rule DDO and can solo baisicly anything, charm is useless in madstone because of the invis trick.

Thats why you get your necro DC high enough as to where nothing will save on it, and if they do, throw a energy drain.

All advice im giving is focused on endgame, anything except endgame content is irrelivent :D
I found Charm useful in Gianthold, where mobs have low will saves but lots of hp and so take about as much sp to kill via charm as via nukes, but to each his own.

My archmage is human not WF, that's why survivability is a bit more of a problem for me. CSW pots are just not enough sometimes. I'm sure I'm doing plenty of things wrong, this is my first character after all, it would be a bit sad if I could play DDO perfectly after a month or two. :)

Yes, well, I expect it's months of grinding to get the gear needed to have high enough necro DCs, and you have to be able to do something in the meantime to get into groups. You can always use a lesser/greater heart of wood and flawless syberys shards once you've gotten what you want, by that point you should easily have enough plat to buy a respec.

I understand that, and it's very useful, but there are still 19 levels to go and lots of grinding for gear before you hit endgame. That can take quite a while, and as I said, you can always respec to a better epic-oriented build once you get there.