PDA

View Full Version : Revised manyshot & more

red_cardinal
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Manyshot -> When triggered, it fires instantly 2 or more arrows (depending on character level). Has 5 second cooldown.

Fire force arrow -> When triggered, it fires instantly an arrow which does 1d6 force damage and doesn't miss incorporeal targets (ghost touch). Has 2 second cooldown. Costs 1 sp to use.
Fire force burst arror -> When triggered, it it fires instantly an arrow which does 1d6 force damage and 2d6 on critical and doesn't miss incorporeal targets (ghost touch). Has 3 second cooldown. Costs 3 sp to use.

And so on for other AA imbues. What do you think? /discuss please.

I think it would be a nice change to ranged damage as archers would have diversity in their abilities. True strike would also fit nicely in an attack chain. You would have an attack chain like this:
True strike-Fire force arrow-fire force burst arrow-fire fire arrow-fire explosive arrow-fire slaying arrow-fire acid arrow-manyshot-true strike...

Requiro
07-13-2011, 06:19 PM
You want nerf AA and Ranged Combat?

/No signed

Fillivan
07-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Better idea... make arcane arrows stop disappearing and make imbue arrow imbue the arrow stacks upon entering dungeon O.o. Again we have more colorful and easy to swap abilities and rangers don't need 3892759347529 mana to be useful ;)

donfilibuster
07-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Better idea... make arcane arrows stop disappearing and make imbue arrow imbue the arrow stacks upon entering dungeon O.o. Again we have more colorful and easy to swap abilities and rangers don't need 3892759347529 mana to be useful ;)

But isn't having the blue bar the whole point of the Arcane Archer being Arcane?
Without past life of wizard you are required to take a level of a spellcasting class to qualify.

DrNuegebauer
07-14-2011, 05:10 AM
But isn't having the blue bar the whole point of the Arcane Archer being Arcane?
Without past life of wizard you are required to take a level of a spellcasting class to qualify.

You recall more about your past life as a wizard. You have +1 to the DC's of spells you cast and can cast the magic missile spell ten times per rest, creating a missile of magical energy that darts forth and unerringly strikes its target inflicting 1d4+1 force damage. For every 2 caster levels beyond first you gain an additional missile, maximum 10 missiles.

??

Can't see how that helps someone qualify as an AA without a blue bar....

nothing can help you qualify as an AA without a blue bar

Aesop
07-14-2011, 05:18 AM
Can't say I agree with those changes.

It would actually lower the overall dps of ranged combat and make Arcane Archer difficult to play. Archers already have enough issues with positioning to make the most of what they have.

Now if they had a couple of built in SLA like effects that did different things on top of the current mechanics there might be something to be said for that.

example: while having the Slayer Arrow active they could still fire an "Active Effect" clicky that fired an arrow as normal but added a Fireball centered on the target of the arrow... or a Web or something else like that... that might add utility in some cases.

Aesop

donfilibuster
07-14-2011, 05:28 AM
Can't see how that helps someone qualify as an AA without a blue bar....

nothing can help you qualify as an AA without a blue bar

Was mistaken in that it is the sorcerer's past life not wizard.
May be missing something else, but think the blue bar is to qualify for mental toughness.
The alternative requirements are:

"Requires One of: Bard Energy of Music I, Elven Arcanum I, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragonblooded I, Wizard Energy of the Scholar I, Mental Toughness, Past Life: Arcane Prodigy"
(http://ddowiki.com/page/Arcane_Archer_enhancements)

In this case a ranger normally take mental toughness at lv 6, i believe.
Elven builds need either to splash or have the past life active feat.

blkcat1028
07-14-2011, 05:32 AM
Unless I'm reading it wrong you can, according to the wiki, you can be an AA as long as you have the past life feat "Arcane Prodigy". It works in the character planner as well. I was able to create, in the planner, a ranger 2/ monk 18 AA and Shintao 3.

Edit: You got your second post in while I while I was typing mine :D

Requiro
07-14-2011, 05:59 AM
<snip>

example: while having the Slayer Arrow active they could still fire an "Active Effect" clicky that fired an arrow as normal but added a Fireball centered on the target of the arrow... or a Web or something else like that... that might add utility in some cases.

Aesop

Maybe a whole PrE redesign? :) http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=277242

Aesop
07-15-2011, 05:07 AM
Just for clarity sake. If you do not have a blue bar to begin with you gain no benefit from feats that increase your blue bar. We've actually already confirmed this with Eladrin.

What this means is that while the sorcerer past life feat is one of the optional PrE feats you cannot use it with say pure Fighter to gain the PrE, because Fighter doesn't already have a Blue Bar.

Rangers have an inherent Blue Bar and thus can qualify for the PrE.

You have to have some form of inherent Spell Points before you can effectively be an Arcane Archer.