PDA

View Full Version : New spell ?

gogetta101
07-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Can we ever look forward to any new spells in the near future.?
Been playing for just under a year and a half. havnt seen a new spell yet. Seen the death aura get redesigned but thats about as close to new as Ive seen.

What spell would make a good addition to the game anyways ?
Nothing too op but nothing thats just going to take up a spell slot and not do anything..

Feedback appreciated

Milfeulle
07-13-2011, 09:04 AM
Already got 3 new DoT spell from U9.

Doxmaster
07-13-2011, 09:09 AM
2nd post proved OP wrong.
/Thread.

Cholera
07-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Id like to see Time Stop.

Pauses everything in the dungeon for a few seconds - except the caster. Give it a 30 minute cool down and a once per dungeon (regardless of the number of casters within) capacity. Sure, even with such restrictions it could be used to grief but then, hey, there's grease and thats popular enough :P
-Nah, I dunno... would probably be impossible to impliment without annoying A LOT of people but its fun to think about.

Maybe limited wish and wish as one time (ever) spells... or, how about find familar? Give casters a perminant pet whenever they zone into a dungeon - one they can command like a hireling - maybe even take possession of and scout with? Maybe the familiar could level up too? - Nah, probably too much coding involved. But who knows? Fun idea though.

One thing I do know is that they need to add are spheres of annilhilation. Yep, I know its not a spell (or is it?) but that would be huge fun.

Theres lots of good stuff in the old DnD books.

donfilibuster
07-13-2011, 11:09 AM
For making a thread about this you could at least have checked ddowiki.
u5 had gust of wind and cyclonic blast.
u9 had the three DoT spells but also scorch.

Of course, can't have too many, new spells are always welcome.
Plenty of spells to tap from PnP, many of which would not be controversial or too hard to implement.
Inventing new ones is technically fine but kind of wasting the missing spells.

Grenada
07-13-2011, 11:50 AM
Please, i want moar spells.

Like these:
wall of stone and wall of iron
Bigby's hand series (even if it has to be modified, its just so much fun)
animate objects (it may be unrealistic to implement, but i can dream)
polymorph (again, probably too hard to implement)

kilagan800
07-13-2011, 04:46 PM
Black Tentacles
Spectral Hand
Keen Edge

These would be awesome.

Phidius
07-13-2011, 04:53 PM

Pauses everything in the dungeon for a few seconds - except the caster...

Had this happen in the Reaver's during lunch today, only it backfired... I was the only thing that froze, all the mobs got to continue what they were doing.

Namely, kick my ass.

biggin
07-13-2011, 05:00 PM

Pauses everything in the dungeon for a few seconds - except the caster. Give it a 30 minute cool down and a once per dungeon (regardless of the number of casters within) capacity.

We've had that for a long time, but unfortunately it also affects the caster. You sometimes can use it multiple times in quests.

It's called lag.

Talias006
07-13-2011, 05:56 PM
we've Had That For A Long Time, But Unfortunately It Also Affects The Caster. You Sometimes Can Use It Multiple Times In Quests.

It's Called Lag.

Lol!

Okwono
07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I think Shadow Evocation or Shadow Conjuration could be interesting and fun additions to our spell list.

These two spells could basically expand the options of what an arcane could have available with the possibility of them not being quite as effective as the actual spells they can mimic. In game could see this spell working similar to spells like resist energy in that it brings up a list of what you can cast. (The down side is that this spell could possibly feel redundant to some because it would basically cast spells that already exist in our game)

other spells to be considered:

Vampiric Touch ( touch spell that deals damage and heals the caster the same amount)

Cholera
07-13-2011, 06:40 PM
Had this happen in the Reaver's during lunch today, only it backfired... I was the only thing that froze, all the mobs got to continue what they were doing.

Namely, kick my ass.

Heh, yah... I guess the mobs have had Time Stop for quite some time now, havent they?

doubledge
07-13-2011, 06:42 PM
i have only one spell i'm looking forward to.

SUMMON EXPLODING CHICKEN

you summon a chicken which is a friendly cr 1 for 2 minutes, or until it dies.

upon dying, or the timer expiring, the chicken inflicts 2d8+3/caster level fire damage to everything in a 3 foot radius from the chicken.

Lunatic-fringe
07-13-2011, 06:43 PM
How about Mordikinen's Sword(yes I know I spelled it wrong, didn't what to look it up). Set it up as a short term fighter hireling.

Ebonta
07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
There are a whole bunch of spells on the D20SRD that could be added. The game's woefully lacking on higher level spells, honestly IMHO.

TheDearLeader
07-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Can we ever look forward to any new spells in the near future.?
Been playing for just under a year and a half. havnt seen a new spell yet. Seen the death aura get redesigned but thats about as close to new as Ive seen.

What spell would make a good addition to the game anyways ?
Nothing too op but nothing thats just going to take up a spell slot and not do anything..

Feedback appreciated

...Feedback? You need to learn your spells before you post.

U9
Eladar's Electric Surge
Niac's Biting Cold
Divine Punishment
Scorch
U7
Gust of Wind
Cyclonic Blast
U5
Sonic Blast
Negative Energy Burst
Death Aura
Lesser Death Aura (This was U5. If you've been here a year and a half, well, U5 was only a year and a month ago. So these spells have been added to game since you arrived.)
Necrotic Ray

So that's at least 11 new spells since you started playing. Also, big spell changes have happened during that time. Mass Heal got upgraded from 6 targets to 1/level, Holy Aura got made AoE instead of self only, and U9 was all about making existing spells more viable.

I appreciate that variety is the spice of life, but if you're going to propose something, please at least be right on your basis for this proposal.

Ebonta
07-14-2011, 12:48 PM
...Feedback? You need to learn your spells before you post.

U9
Eladar's Electric Surge
Niac's Biting Cold
Divine Punishment
Scorch
U7
Gust of Wind
Cyclonic Blast
U5
Sonic Blast
Negative Energy Burst
Death Aura
Lesser Death Aura (This was U5. If you've been here a year and a half, well, U5 was only a year and a month ago. So these spells have been added to game since you arrived.)
Necrotic Ray

So that's at least 11 new spells since you started playing. Also, big spell changes have happened during that time. Mass Heal got upgraded from 6 targets to 1/level, Holy Aura got made AoE instead of self only, and U9 was all about making existing spells more viable.

I appreciate that variety is the spice of life, but if you're going to propose something, please at least be right on your basis for this proposal.

The three DoTs are basically the best spells they've added in a long time. Not to mention they're all relatively low level spells, if we could flesh out level 7-9 for arcanes and divines it would be great.

TheDearLeader
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
The three DoTs are basically the best spells they've added in a long time. Not to mention they're all relatively low level spells, if we could flesh out level 7-9 for arcanes and divines it would be great.

It would, I entirely agree with that.

Corwinsky
07-14-2011, 01:43 PM
If they were to design new spells they would need to have unique features so that they are not just a better version of something else that casters currently have memo'ed.

They should be spells that are situational to force more swapping of spells between quests as right now wizards are not much different from sorcerers in that they never really need to change their spells for quests. And sorcerers don't have to make a lot of heart breaking choices when selecting the spells they will know.

i.e assuming they don't buy scrolls (which they do and are so cheap compared to pots and what money they earn from trash items that they concretely have no spells memo limits) one of the only quests that would require lot of swapping is HoX. Otherwise some quests could require one swap max (still assuming they wouldn't use scrolls) depending on what the wizard usually prefers: flesh to stone, web, halt undead are spells used not very often in most quests.
That's pretty small considering that in the pnp version choosing the right selection of spells each morning was so much more important.

For these new spells to work they would need to design new quests that make them very good/essential in that particular quest but somehow doesn't add any value in other ones.
They might want to redesign mobs resistance as well to force more swapping between electricity, force, fire, cold and acid lines.
They could also increase the cost of scrolls sell by vendors.

They also need to look at game balance (mobs againsts players, challenge of completing quest) when creating new spells.
Sure time stop is cool, improved invisibility as well, let's not mention wish... etc but in a MMO they could completely disrupt the balance of the game (which is already not top notch).

In pnp the casters don't haste, blur, stoneskin, holy aura the group for each fight against trash mobs.
If these spells are so powerfull, and if more generally casters at high levels are so powerfull in pnp (compared to melees) it's because magic and casters were supposed to be rare.
Not so in this game.

TheDearLeader
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM
If these spells are so powerfull, and if more generally casters at high levels are so powerfull in pnp (compared to melees) it's because magic and casters were supposed to be rare.
Not so in this game.

I'd have to counter this particular statement with "Your gameplay experience may vary". Low Magic/Moderate Magic/High Magic/Monty Hall campaigns are all accepted yet very different forms of playing PnP D&D. Some P&P Campaigns *are* this magick-y. I wish I could find those DMs >.>

Talias006
07-16-2011, 06:28 AM
i have only one spell i'm looking forward to.

SUMMON EXPLODING CHICKEN

you summon a chicken which is a friendly cr 1 for 2 minutes, or until it dies.

upon dying, or the timer expiring, the chicken inflicts 2d8+3/caster level fire damage to everything in a 3 foot radius from the chicken.

Can you smeeeeeeeell what the Col. is cooking???
KFC bomb-buckets ftw!

I'd have to counter this particular statement with "Your gameplay experience may vary". Low Magic/Moderate Magic/High Magic/Monty Hall campaigns are all accepted yet very different forms of playing PnP D&D. Some P&P Campaigns *are* this magick-y. I wish I could find those DMs >.>

Monty Haul campaigns are great at first, and then it gets stale because the plot has to go quickly into divine territory for the players to feel challenged.
Personally, I've always been a bigger fan of Dark Sun, just because the novelty of getting a +1 Iron Scimitar was truly better than finding a +2 or better weapon made of bone.
Which has a tendency to break, so it's just a temporary magic weapon.
Magic really meant something.
And non-evil non-npc magic users were exceptionally rare.
Psionics was one of my favorite systems, and would still be if they ever introduce it into this game.

Of course, that's just my personal preference. Others may not like my play-styles, the same as I might not like theirs. That's the great thing about choices. :D