PDA

View Full Version : Epic solo farm, Wizard or FVS?

Gaijinn
07-13-2011, 08:32 AM
So I've got a 20 wizard that I'm planning to TR, mainly will be a toon used for epic farming, what would I be looking for? a Human wizard as a PM with necro and enchantment focus or a WF archmage with necro and enchantment focus?

Or perhaps a human evoker fvs is more suited?

Could use some advice

Milfeulle
07-13-2011, 08:40 AM
I use Sorc.

WF wiz if you can achieve hi DC.

xtchizobr
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
I use Sorc.

WF wiz if you can achieve hi DC.

someone explain to me why wiz can't get "high DC"?

sweez
07-13-2011, 08:42 AM
Any caster can do it efficiently, just TR into whatever suits your playstyle. Don't TR into a class just because it's maybe slightly better at scroll farming lol.

TheDjinnFor
07-13-2011, 09:21 AM
someone explain to me why wiz can't get "high DC"?

I think you read that wrong. He said go wiz if you CAN get a high DC.

xtchizobr
07-13-2011, 09:21 AM
I think you read that wrong. He said go wiz if you CAN get a high DC.

i think, then, it was phrased wrong...

Kamo
07-13-2011, 09:27 AM
They both play great in epics.

I play a Human evoker, drag through BB, enverate, symbol of death, implosion... Plus you get wings :)

sweez
07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
They both play great in epics.

I play a Human evoker, drag through BB, enverate, circle of death, implosion... Plus you get wings :)

Huh?

Sarisa
07-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Probably means Symbol of Death, which works quite well with BB kiting.

KingOfCheese
07-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Any caster type (arcane or divine) works well. Some work better in some environments than others, but all work well.

Kamo
07-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Huh?

Errrr Symbol, of death, apologies.

thewalex
07-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Yep. I use my Pale Master for Epic DQ (trap mobs in a pit and range) and Epic Phiarlan Carnival farming and my Evoker FvS for quests with lots of melee mobs (Tharashk Arena and Into the Deep). So it's entirely case dependent on what type of mobs are in said epic quests and somewhat your mood (how do you want to do yer killin'?) I still haven't found a good way to farm Epic Chrono though since U9.

KingOfCheese
07-13-2011, 01:14 PM
I still haven't found a good way to farm Epic Chrono though since U9.

A few good options.

1) Sorc with high DC. Insta-kill those things that can be insta-killed. For those that can't (devils, flying chickens, deathwarded casters), avoid them (judicious use of invis, ddoor, position) if you can; and dps-kill them if you can't (dance and dot; stone and dot; or for abashi dot and dodge).

2) Wiz with high DC. Same as above, but mostly avoid those that can't be insta-killed (1st devil needs to be killed to advance--disable and dot).

3) FVS with high DC. Gather a survivable amount. Blade and fly. Blade and fly. For flying chickens--dot and dodge.

Gaijinn
07-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Thanks for all the tips :)

sirgog
07-14-2011, 03:00 AM
Yep. I use my Pale Master for Epic DQ (trap mobs in a pit and range) and Epic Phiarlan Carnival farming and my Evoker FvS for quests with lots of melee mobs (Tharashk Arena and Into the Deep). So it's entirely case dependent on what type of mobs are in said epic quests and somewhat your mood (how do you want to do yer killin'?) I still haven't found a good way to farm Epic Chrono though since U9.

Wizard all the way for Colonoscope. Except when I make a mistake, or the Arcanist makes a fluke save, I can usually get 9 kills each Power Word Kill cooldown.

Walk in, talk to Nelle/Tremas, buff (the fight doesn't start for 48 seconds after you talk to Tremas, you know you've run this too often when you've timed that). Critical buffs are Displacement, Resist Cold and Protection from Elements. Put a Discoball down where the three archers spawn and stand behind the Shavarath Acolyte.

When Bazdor says the word 'Kill' in the DM voiceover, Power Word Kill the Acolyte (you've got about 1 second before he casts Mass Deathward). Then Circle of Death the three archers that are in your Discoball and run toward them. Once you get to your Discoball, Wail.

Next, find the Shavarath Arcanist (the one dangerous mob left) and Energy Drain it, then Finger it. If he saves (which I believe requires a 20 for even a moderate DC), you might have a problem - make sure to refresh Protection from Elements. Begin running in circles picking off survivors once your spells are off cooldown. Ignore Bazdor altogether (Web or Power Word Stun if needed to buy time), just heal through damage he does to you. The higher priority mobs to kill are the archers, as they appear to Hamstring you on a vorpal strike.

Once you've killed everything but Bazdor, Teleport away to Meridia, step outside and summon a Hireling (which resets your Colonoscope instance). If you still have over 1k SP, teleport to the Market and repeat, but don't talk to Tremas until PWK's cooldown is under 48 seconds. If you have under 1k SP, teleport to the Portable Hole instead, and drink a tavern drink.

Problems occur when the archers Cripple you early on, or when you don't successfully PWK the Acolyte in time.

svinja
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Wizard all the way for Colonoscope. Except when I make a mistake, or the Arcanist makes a fluke save, I can usually get 9 kills each Power Word Kill cooldown.

Walk in, talk to Nelle/Tremas, buff (the fight doesn't start for 48 seconds after you talk to Tremas, you know you've run this too often when you've timed that). Critical buffs are Displacement, Resist Cold and Protection from Elements. Put a Discoball down where the three archers spawn and stand behind the Shavarath Acolyte.

When Bazdor says the word 'Kill' in the DM voiceover, Power Word Kill the Acolyte (you've got about 1 second before he casts Mass Deathward). Then Circle of Death the three archers that are in your Discoball and run toward them. Once you get to your Discoball, Wail.

Next, find the Shavarath Arcanist (the one dangerous mob left) and Energy Drain it, then Finger it. If he saves (which I believe requires a 20 for even a moderate DC), you might have a problem - make sure to refresh Protection from Elements. Begin running in circles picking off survivors once your spells are off cooldown. Ignore Bazdor altogether (Web or Power Word Stun if needed to buy time), just heal through damage he does to you. The higher priority mobs to kill are the archers, as they appear to Hamstring you on a vorpal strike.

Once you've killed everything but Bazdor, Teleport away to Meridia, step outside and summon a Hireling (which resets your Colonoscope instance). If you still have over 1k SP, teleport to the Market and repeat, but don't talk to Tremas until PWK's cooldown is under 48 seconds. If you have under 1k SP, teleport to the Portable Hole instead, and drink a tavern drink.

Problems occur when the archers Cripple you early on, or when you don't successfully PWK the Acolyte in time.

I do it the same way, although I stand on the opposite side, so I can symbol/circle/wail a ton of mobs immediately after PWKing the acolyte, and you can still PWK her in time if you spam right click on her before she "activates" and then PWK immediately when you select her. And for people who have problems with the game crashing after you teleport to Meridia and step into the Vale (like I do), an alternative is to go inside Archer Point Defense and summon a hireling to reset, Archer Point is right next to Chrono and has a clickable exit.

darksol23
07-14-2011, 10:41 AM

I agree with the previous posters… Both work, but use the right tool for the job. I use Wiz for farming some and FvS for others.

I farm the first room of chrono with my Wiz just a little differently then sirgog to minimize the risk associated with the acolyte get off a death ward. Talk to Nelle/Tremas and run up the circular stars on the archer’s side, the same stairs that exist in the chrono in gianthold are in the raid, just hard to see. Once upstairs nothing will see you initially when they spawn. Ease up to the edge and PWK the Acolyte, and energy drain and finger the arcanist. I usually drop a crushing despair and circle of death on the archers, jump down wait for the melee to come into the circle, toss a wail, finger survivors, teleport, reset with hireling/second account, rinse repeat. You could stay up top and hit them one by one but that’s slow. Once the two casters are gone the rest of the mobs are fairly weak...

Gaijinn
07-14-2011, 01:48 PM

May I ask what race you are and if archmage or palemaster?

svinja
07-14-2011, 02:35 PM
I agree with the previous posters… Both work, but use the right tool for the job. I use Wiz for farming some and FvS for others.

I farm the first room of chrono with my Wiz just a little differently then sirgog to minimize the risk associated with the acolyte get off a death ward. Talk to Nelle/Tremas and run up the circular stars on the archer’s side, the same stairs that exist in the chrono in gianthold are in the raid, just hard to see. Once upstairs nothing will see you initially when they spawn. Ease up to the edge and PWK the Acolyte, and energy drain and finger the arcanist. I usually drop a crushing despair and circle of death on the archers, jump down wait for the melee to come into the circle, toss a wail, finger survivors, teleport, reset with hireling/second account, rinse repeat. You could stay up top and hit them one by one but that’s slow. Once the two casters are gone the rest of the mobs are fairly weak...

Wow, I just tried this and it completely trivializes the fight. I had no idea those stairs were even there, much less that mobs won't see you if you climb them.

darksol23
07-14-2011, 03:33 PM
Wow, I just tried this and it completely trivializes the fight. I had no idea those stairs were even there, much less that mobs won't see you if you climb them.

Really helps to neutralize the casters. However, just like instakilling mobs of at range in other quests if something makes a save everyone will be on you, and the melees and the devil can come the stairs/ramp. The archers, well... They are DDO AI powered archers...

pHo3nix
07-14-2011, 04:04 PM

Pretty much the same way i run it, except that i cast a couple of webs under acolyte and caster to hold them in place :)

sirgog
07-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Pretty much the same way i run it, except that i cast a couple of webs under acolyte and caster to hold them in place :)

I web the Arcanist sometimes (with Insightful Reflexes, I only fail saves on really, really low rolls so he doesn't do much damage), but the Acolyte - let's just say I take no chances with him rolling a 20 any more. PWK at the timing I stated gets him every time, no save, no escape unless you make a mistake.

LeLoric
07-14-2011, 09:01 PM
I go into chrono on my pale master clear the first room, then I run around killing off all the tieflings and kite the devils from the bank area over to the searing heights entrance and ddoor out.

Run around then and kill respawning tieflings while torcing up on archers when ya get low. Occasionally an abashai will see you. When it does energy drain, power word stun edrain again and necrotic ray and it's dead.

I can ifinitely do this over and over and get about 180-200 kills an hour.

For fens scrolls go farm Fathom the depths just run through and kill everything until you get to the boss and recall use a hireling to reset instance and hope back in. about 270-300 kills per hour.

For von scrolls go into evon5 with undeath to death loaded and kill zombies all the way up to the puzzle. Instakill wf at the puzzle until oom. 220-250 kills/hour.

Carnival kill tieflings in outer areas of big top for quick easy kills. 350/hour here.

I dont scroll farm in desert as I have multiples of all but raid scrolls and the drop rate for those is so bad it's easier to farm chrono stuff to trade.

Sentinels I don't really need and don't farm either but due to sr issues black loch would probably be the easiest.

Zildoran
07-18-2011, 03:45 AM
What is your strategy for taking down Bazdor? I had been giving him some energy drain and then using Pale Master SLA's to finish him off. I also had a little trouble with the Bearded Devil near the entrance, as Pw:Kill and FOD don't seem to be working on him at all. I just noticed you had Necrotic Ray for dealing with Abishai...same strategy for the Devils?

The other trash is insignificant, but Bazdor takes a couple minutes for me to take down. I'm on a first life Drow Wiz so spell DC aren't super high, 40 Necro and 39 Enchant currently. Next life I should be able to increase both of those by 2 at least.

LolWutRoflstomped
07-18-2011, 03:56 AM

Stack Webs on the Acolyte before she spawns and don't worry about the mass deathward and no need for PWK.

sirgog
07-18-2011, 04:47 AM
What is your strategy for taking down Bazdor? I had been giving him some energy drain and then using Pale Master SLA's to finish him off. I also had a little trouble with the Bearded Devil near the entrance, as Pw:Kill and FOD don't seem to be working on him at all. I just noticed you had Necrotic Ray for dealing with Abishai...same strategy for the Devils?

The other trash is insignificant, but Bazdor takes a couple minutes for me to take down. I'm on a first life Drow Wiz so spell DC aren't super high, 40 Necro and 39 Enchant currently. Next life I should be able to increase both of those by 2 at least.

I used to kill him by first Energy Draining him (which drops his max HP significantly), then 3-stacking Niac's and Eladar's.

Now I don't bother. I find I get more kills per time period just ignoring him altogether and healing through any damage he might do to me (which isn't much, he neither swings fast nor hard, and doesn't have True Seeing).

If my latency was lower, I'd spend more time killing in the Marketplace, but that area is really unforgiving with a ping over about 150. Often you get crippled by an archer, then rubberband into danger, and have to burn a lot of SP to survive.

bebeosita
07-18-2011, 04:53 AM
Fvs ofc they can farm solo raids and epics w/o problems and the ppl never cry to nerf them!
If u made a caster u need understand they can get a nerf in some days cause the ppl dont stop cry :/ so fvs for sure.

DragonTroy
07-18-2011, 05:01 AM
Fvs ofc they can farm solo raids and epics w/o problems and the ppl never cry to nerf them!
If u made a caster u need understand they can get a nerf in some days cause the ppl dont stop cry :/ so fvs for sure.

choosing a class just because people dont want to nerf it right now is not a good reason to pick them. are fvs a great class for scroll farming? certainly. but, frankly, you can never predict when the next nerf bat is coming or who its going to hit. but they will never make anything un-playable. its simply about knowing how to adapt

also, a good bit of the time those fvs that are solo farming raids and such rather excellently geared. i think its possible, but unlikely that someone new to the class could have similar results

DragonTroy
07-18-2011, 05:06 AM
as to scroll farming, i have just recently capped my new sorc and me and a guildie(WF evo/enchant archy with DCs so high it makes me cry) have been duo-ing the fight, and we were using the hidden stairs, PWK-ing the acolyte and arcanist, then him mass holding the trash and me nuking them and bazdor to smithereens. shrine, recall, reset.i think we were doing about 3 minute runs including the reset, and i think that it was quite nice

Rawel_San
07-18-2011, 05:08 AM

^^ exactly. One thing you can do to minimize the chance of Mass Deathward is just drop webs on the acolyte.
He saves 1/20 on mine.

Erekose
07-18-2011, 06:58 AM
My personal preference is the WF wizzy necrochanter.

http://youtu.be/irPW_XdCdF4

http://youtu.be/3VN9-AIGohs

enjoy

Zildoran
07-18-2011, 01:19 PM
The actual first fight is very fast for me now that I have it figured out (if skipping Bazdor and just teleporting). The slow part is regenning my sp after resetting the instance. That really hurts my # of kills/hour. If I could kill more in the marketplace and make use of the 2 shrines I think that might increase it a bit.

After taking out the acolyte and arcanist I've been killing the soldier from upstairs, dropping a disco ball and web on the archers and dropping down to circle/wail the rest and pick off survivors. That seems to be the most effective strategy for me with slightly low necro DC's.

Exar_Jun
07-18-2011, 01:57 PM
So what is an average number of scrolls you get per hour? 1 - 2 or like .1. What is your general rate on return of work.

HelvanderSeries6
07-18-2011, 02:07 PM
Wizard all the way for Colonoscope.

Just thought this was funny how you spelled Chrono. +1 rep for making my day :D

Zildoran
07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Last night was crappy as I was still working out how to do it and died some. If I can figure out a fast way to kill Bazdor that will speed it up immensely as I can just use the first shrine and go reset without having to regen at a bar. Can you still Flesh to Stone him?

emptysands
07-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Last night was crappy as I was still working out how to do it and died some. If I can figure out a fast way to kill Bazdor that will speed it up immensely as I can just use the first shrine and go reset without having to regen at a bar. Can you still Flesh to Stone him?

The only way I've been able to reliably kill him is dance and then spam energy drain, nerco SLA and niac's dot. 10 or so energy drains and your dps should have an effect.

I'm guessing that Leloric kites the 2nd orange name devil into the searing heights entrance. I haven't tried that yet, but disco ball/web, circle/wail and then kite on the 2nd set of mobs is probably a good strategy.

emptysands
07-18-2011, 04:35 PM
With a PM in eDQ1 I buff, don't bother with invis. Run towards the Scorpion pit. You'll probably hit yellow alert, but that shouldn't be a problem. Best run between two pillars and jump onto the ledge around the mark on the floor before the floor breaks, otherwise you might find a Scorpion follows you onto the ledge. Ice storm. Drag Monkey, ice storm. Drag the merphits, ice storm. You can also Disco, Mass Hold and circle/wail the merphits - depending on how SP you have left.

Ignoring the chests, generally can get 40-50 kills in 15min. Recall, shine, reset and repeat. If you have someone who can open you can even do this when on timer.

The other method is with a FvS: blade barrier kiting in the pit - more action, and can drag more mobs into the pit through alerts. BB placements is important.

Personally I find the Wiz method more re****l. ;)

Zildoran
07-19-2011, 02:20 AM
So what is an average number of scrolls you get per hour? 1 - 2 or like .1. What is your general rate on return of work.

No idea what the per hour rate is, but I got 4 scrolls today and 2 of them are probably 4-5 FRDS total and the others maybe 500k plat.

I'm still working on the fastest way for me to get it done...I don't think I'm getting much more than 100 kills an hour with this method.

vVAnjilaVv
07-19-2011, 05:43 AM

WOW awesome...new nerf for U11 :rolleyes:

Zildoran
07-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Prepare for more DoOm incoming.

Kakashi67
07-19-2011, 10:51 AM
WOW awesome...new nerf for U11 :rolleyes:

Prepare for more DoOm incoming.

DooOOOOoOoOOOOOoooOOoOommMMMmMM!!!11!11!!!1

Mercureal
07-19-2011, 11:00 AM
-snip-

Personally I find the Wiz method more re****l. ;)

re****l? I'm trying to figure out what that could be and I have no idea. :)