PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Spring attack. Do we even care?

Ragnarnessaja
07-12-2011, 12:05 AM
So. Do we need this? I'd really rather not, as I don't want to spend the feats on it, but with Rage and Half Orc 20 Str at creation, will I need this feat to smash the baddies running after party members?

Only reason I ask is because my TWF Ranger notices a significant increase in the success of the "Stick and move" strategy.

Isolani
07-12-2011, 12:16 AM
If you're going melee ranger, you are going to want Tempest enhancements, and Spring Attack is a requirement to take Tempest. So yeah, it's not that great, but you may need to take it anyway.

killerzee25
07-12-2011, 12:20 AM
What kind of toon are you asking about? the 3 feats needed aren't really worth it unless your a ranger who needs it for tempest or a fighter who cant think of anything else to use your feats for.
If you need a way to fight mobs being kited i suggest putting a few points into int and picking up intimidate for the few situations its needed for its nice to be able to pull aggro right away from the kiting ranger.

dkyle
07-12-2011, 12:29 AM
Complete waste of feats on a Barbarian. Honestly, a waste on anything besides a Tempest, where it's a prereq.

The only targets you should have any trouble hitting don't require much movement, typically.

blerkington
07-12-2011, 12:33 AM
Hi,

You may find spring attack useful in endgame content against bosses with very high ACs. Some of the bosses in epics spring to mind. Unless you have feats to burn though, or need them for a PrE, there are probably better choices

Thanks.

Jaid314
07-12-2011, 12:45 AM
Hi,

You may find spring attack useful in endgame content against bosses with very high ACs. Some of the bosses in epics spring to mind. Unless you have feats to burn though, or need them for a PrE, there are probably better choices

Thanks.

which bosses on epics? most of them don't move much, and the one i can think of that does (and has high AC) is honestly about as tough to fight as... well... as a level 5 succubus with a lot more hit points, basically.

azrael4h
07-12-2011, 03:41 AM
The question is this: what are you giving up to fit in those three feats? And is +1 Dodge AC, +4 AC while tumbling, and no penalty to-hit while moving worth what you are giving up?

You need PA and Cleave for FB, You need IC:x because a doubled crit range is always nice on a melee. Many people take Stunning Blow, and since so much damage comes off of glancing blows, the entire THF feat line as well. So which of these are you giving up for Dodge, Mobility, and Spring Attack?

TBH, the game seems to be bugged in regards to hitting moving critters; I can be ramming into them and swinging away, but only occasionally do I get an attack roll.

Ragnarnessaja
07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Will be pure Barbarian.

These replies have confirmed my belief that it's simply not worth it, when you need to spend two feats to get FB, and the THF line is just too good not to get. Then there's IC:Slashing since you'd be crazy not to and you have either Toughness/Stunning Blow/Something else to choose from unless you're human.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I just wanted to be sure.

dkyle
07-12-2011, 09:14 AM
TBH, the game seems to be bugged in regards to hitting moving critters; I can be ramming into them and swinging away, but only occasionally do I get an attack roll.

Yes, another reason why spring attack isn't worth much. Even without the -4 penalty, chances are you won't even get an attack roll.

I sometimes find that I can hit if I run faster (Barbarian Sprint Boost FTW!), and swing at where the enemy will be in a moment.

Dartwick
07-12-2011, 10:50 AM
Will be pure Barbarian.

With the limited feats it would be crazy for a pure barb to take the spring attack line.

SickCat
07-12-2011, 12:16 PM
Yes, another reason why spring attack isn't worth much. Even without the -4 penalty, chances are you won't even get an attack roll.

I sometimes find that I can hit if I run faster (Barbarian Sprint Boost FTW!), and swing at where the enemy will be in a moment.

This is the client/server lag I prattle on about on occasion. Your game client shows you where a mob is in relation to you...but the server has a different, more 'real time' version of where things are, so when your gigantic 1/2 orc wielded eSoS swings completely through a mob you're chasing, doing no damage, or even registering that you're swinging at it with a 'miss' message, your game client sends this information to the server, but the server, having the final say, tells your client, "*** are you talking about, Mr. Game Client, that mob is MILES in front of that player", and you continue to bounce off the back side of the creature...and kind of teleport around...it's bizarre. A +4 tohit while moving isn't going to help this AT ALL. It WILL help your tohit roll if you actually run in front of the mob and guess where it's going, but I have a rather large problem expecting a player base to fudge how they play to overcome a bad game mechanic...unless it's been identified by those slinging code, and the workaround communicated. I tend to strafe along side moving targets while they move, staying a bit ahead...kinda works, kinda doesn't. It's a game mechanic Turbine not only isn't fixing, they aren't even acknowledging it exists.

Wrong forum for all this garbage from me, but I've jacked posts before...I'm no dev, but a couple of possible solutions might be to:
1. Let the game client have the final say as to weather or not a swing/cast/missile has connected (this has the potential to be horrifically abused using 3rd party apps and data stream manipulation...assuming no good encryption)
2. Fix the synchronization between the client and the server removing this delay and subsequent bad communication between the two.

TLDR: Spring Attack sucks (removing the tohit penalty while moving AND giving it a static +2 tohit, MIGHT help it out)

eulogy098
07-12-2011, 02:21 PM
No. simply no. A barbarian should never have any of the three feats associated with Spring Attack. Ever.

insaneuou
07-12-2011, 02:38 PM
spring attack/? what? nvr heard of it? does it exist? lol