PDA

View Full Version : New paid service or rare: TR XP bank/Item

Fallout
07-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Implement a paid item or a rare raid drop of a device that banks XP after you cap, so can apply towards TR.

XP Bank Level 1 trinket : Holds X amount of XP
XP Bank Level 2 trinket: Holds Y amount of XP

And each level cost more, harder to get etc.

And you get repetition penalties as usual for quest.

After you TR, can use that trinklet's XP.

TR is literally a boring grind. This helps alleviate the boring grind, and alot of TR's would gladly pay for something like this. Helps generate new revenue.

boricua_in_cali
07-09-2011, 04:34 PM
/not signed.
You'll have every noob on every server banking XP, TR'ing, and then TR'ing again & again using bankable XP. Completionist is already too easy to unlock in my opinion.

Fallout
07-09-2011, 06:30 PM
Make the items expensive in TP.

Paid service. You don't like it, don't have to buy it.

But for people who do not have the time to spend a month or two on a single TR, this would be a great service. For people who does not want to buy it, nothing changes.

Memnir
07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
No thank you.

Morosy
07-09-2011, 06:32 PM
Looks like it would only be able to bank so much, so probably just eliminates earlier levels, which go fast enough anyway. So not worth the trouble.

Fearlessleader62
07-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Sounds like you would just like to skip playing to game and go right to 20 *LOL*

I don't see any need for such a thing. I like to tr my toons to give more time to run all the quests in the game and get max favor and never run no Xp favor runs. As it stands you need to tr 2 times at least to get XP and favor.

Truly there is lots of fun to be had from 1 - 20 whats the rush?

Whats next Pay to roll level 20 like vet build?

wolflairabyss99
07-09-2011, 07:23 PM
i think some of the repliers didn't quite read the op. we got xp pots, level 4 starters, exp shrines, quest bonuses up the wazoo, and voice of the master...why not add something to the ddo store that is guaranteed to sell well?

i think an item like this would be use once and destroy. also i'm sure that it wouldn't be an item where you can bank 10k exp and advance from level 19 to 20.

theres a ton of items in the ddo store that aren't selling and that are near worthless, why not add something that alot of people would buy?

if you think such an item is op, buy it or don't. don't tell people how they should play.

Vellrad
07-09-2011, 08:06 PM
I think devs made TR XP a mad grind, because they wanted it to be a mad XP grind, so they won't change it.

JOTMON
07-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Just apply VIP to TR's . then you start at level 4.

Uska
07-09-2011, 09:16 PM
No!

Arlith
07-09-2011, 09:21 PM
No thanks.

Chazzie
07-09-2011, 09:29 PM
i think some of the repliers didn't quite read the op. we got xp pots, level 4 starters, exp shrines, quest bonuses up the wazoo, and voice of the master...why not add something to the ddo store that is guaranteed to sell well?

i think an item like this would be use once and destroy. also i'm sure that it wouldn't be an item where you can bank 10k exp and advance from level 19 to 20.

theres a ton of items in the ddo store that aren't selling and that are near worthless, why not add something that alot of people would buy?

if you think such an item is op, buy it or don't. don't tell people how they should play.

Ummm NO (still) !!! ~ No more easy buttons Please !!!

Tsuarok
07-09-2011, 09:31 PM
I don't understand why people think TRing is a grind. At cap, you repeat a handful of raids and epics over and over again. When TRing you have hundreds of quests to choose from. How is that more of a grind? If anything, it alleviates the grind, 'cause when you get bored of cap quests, you can do all the others again.

bigolbear
07-09-2011, 09:49 PM
/signed good idea.

yep paid service no problem there.

I wouldnt buy it but a lot of folks HATE TR 'grind', personaly i see it as a way to play through the game again.

they already sell xp elixirs and such, its realy no different.

If they drop in chests they should be unboud.

As its a pure convenience item no problem with it being store only.

id also like to see 'elixir of the friendly TR': you do not loose -10% xp bonus if someone other than you dies in a quest. causes a visual effect of rainbow hearts to fly around your character and happy buny rabits to dance at your feet.
cost: free to a good home.

this post contains ALMOST as much irony as the tool tip for completionist 'you won ddo'.

stille_nacht
07-09-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't understand why people think TRing is a grind. At cap, you repeat a handful of raids and epics over and over again. When TRing you have hundreds of quests to choose from. How is that more of a grind? If anything, it alleviates the grind, 'cause when you get bored of cap quests, you can do all the others again.

its because they level to cap on 3rd or later tr in a matter 3 weeks by using the same quests over and over and over instead of exploring the game fully again.

Tsuarok
07-09-2011, 10:13 PM
its because they level to cap on 3rd or later tr in a matter 3 weeks by using the same quests over and over and over instead of exploring the game fully again.

That's silly.

vVAnjilaVv
07-09-2011, 10:26 PM
Completionist is already too easy to unlock in my opinion.

Uhmmmmm....no....it's not.

The TR system basically sucks.....you are not given enough extra power to warrant the extra XP you need.......something should be changed.

Who really cares at all if a TR is way more powerful than a non TR.........in another MMO I have played you are given almost double the power you had originally by the time you get to the get to what is the equivalent of your 2nd TR.

I'm sorry but four extra build points and for the most part stacking feats that really aren't even needed to for the XP you have to grind.

All it is now is a time sink.....a way to fix an old messed up character...to obtain any kind of real significant power from DDO's TR system it requires you to play a bunch of classes you probably wouldn't play just for the sake of the stacking past life feats.

As I have said before, I love options, but DDO has TOO many.

Plus I have played with a a lot of people that have TR'ed the same character a lot of times....and they really aren't anything special at all....non TR's should be intimidated to even approach grouping with them. It's 90% the gear they have that makes them powerful and has almost nothing to do with the fact they are a Hero or Legend...or even Completionist.

As it is now...I have seen a lot of non-TR's make multiple TR's look like they just started playing.

I like TR'ing a character I want to relive.....I would never do it to try and make my character "stronger" tho.........I am pretty content with all my non TR's.......at the very least the past life feats need to be made way more powerful for certain classes.

Something like Wiz past life feats are awesome.....

Then you look as a Rangers in comparsion....the Rangers is an utter joke.

A ranger get's what +2 to bow damage or something and some extra elemental resistance..........a Wiz gets something that helps them overcome a Spell Pen to insta-death or charm something.

The past life feats need adjustment.....TR's should be superior to non TR's because of what they were given from TR'ing...not because they happen to have more raid gear than a non TR.

insaneuou
07-09-2011, 10:32 PM
/not signed

vVAnjilaVv
07-09-2011, 10:34 PM

Really? Do you advocate eating food or watching things on television or reading things you detest just to fully immerse yourself daily?

JollySwagMan
07-09-2011, 10:35 PM
TR is literally a boring grind.

It's a video game. Treating it like a menial task is your prerogative though...

Tsuarok
07-10-2011, 12:57 AM
Really? Do you advocate eating food or watching things on television or reading things you detest just to fully immerse yourself daily?

Well dear god man, if you detest doing quests, you shouldn't be here. Its the same at cap as it is through the rest of the game, except that while leveling, the quests change. At cap, they don't.

As a previous post pointed out, the gain in power is fairly insignificant. If somehow you love the 15ish endgame quests and hate the hundreds of other quests, just don't TR.

BoolZ
07-10-2011, 01:18 AM
How is TR'ing a boring grind? I mean, OK, if you run the same set of quests nnnnnnhe then I guess I could see it. But if that's the case don't run like that.

I could see TR'ing being a longer grind than a first life, but it's just more of the same as a first life. Even then though as of yet I can't seem to get a first lifer through the game at level. Made the mistake on my current toon of running everything on elite. By the time I was done with the harbor I was overlevel for most of the market and Carnival.

If TR'ing is a boring grind then simply don't TR. Want to experience more the game, roll a new toon, and run different quests with that one.

vVAnjilaVv
07-10-2011, 01:27 AM
Well dear god man, if you detest doing quests, you shouldn't be here. Its the same at cap as it is through the rest of the game, except that while leveling, the quests change. At cap, they don't.

As a previous post pointed out, the gain in power is fairly insignificant. If somehow you love the 15ish endgame quests and hate the hundreds of other quests, just don't TR.

I'm not a man...and no it's not OK to assume everyone here is.

And BTW I like almost all the quests...but I still am not going to do something I don't want to just to satisfy your standards.

Fallout
07-10-2011, 01:50 AM
When TRing all you want to do is get to point L20 ASAP. Its mind numbing to run the same XP quest every time. Sure you mix it up a little, but its just a big time sink, thats all. But if this paid service enables some people to reduce that time its a win-win for both customer and Turbine.

Not even for completionist. Say you want to add a +1 to hit. One fighter life. But it takes 2 months to do 1 fighter life due to real life. That 2 months takes a way other things like trying to get raid/epic items.

And multiply the number of months if want more past lives, or additional characters. Mind numbing grind.

If TR was actually fun or even challenging then no complaints.

Its just boring.

Tsuarok
07-10-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm not a man...and no it's not OK to assume everyone here is.

And BTW I like almost all the quests...but I still am not going to do something I don't want to just to satisfy your standards.

Man is something one can call all humans. As in, "hey man, how's it going?" or "the time of Elves is ending. We are in the time of Man." I was assuming nothing about your sex; your sex didn't begin to enter my mind.

I don't know what standards I have, but I think we're in agreement with the do what makes you happy. It is, after all, something we do for fun.

Tsuarok
07-10-2011, 01:57 AM
When TRing all you want to do is get to point L20 ASAP.

That is not what I want to do. I don't like being at 20. In fact, when I'm at 20 all I want to do is reroll.

Fortunately, this game offers an option to do that without trashing all my stuff, and as a bonus, I get PL feats and extra build points.

These are minor perks that are not worth doing something you hate. If you want to improve your character quickly, run epics and end-game raids and collect loot; 'cause that's where the power is.

vVAnjilaVv
07-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Man is something one can call all humans. As in, "hey man, how's it going?" or "the time of Elves is ending. We are in the time of Man." I was assuming nothing about your sex; your sex didn't begin to enter my mind.

I don't know what standards I have, but I think we're in agreement with the do what makes you happy. It is, after all, something we do for fun.

It can be taken in more ways than your meaning of it...besides......using the word Man for both males and females is absurd...Men are men.....Women are not men......nor were the created from one.....so the term Man shouldn't even be used as a phrase that encircles both genders.

Fallout
07-10-2011, 02:07 AM
That is not what I want to do. I don't like being at 20. In fact, when I'm at 20 all I want to do is reroll.

Fortunately, this game offers an option to do that without trashing all my stuff, and as a bonus, I get PL feats and extra build points.

These are minor perks that are not worth doing something you hate. If you want to improve your character quickly, run epics and end-game raids and collect loot; 'cause that's where the power is.

Thats perfectly fine since you're happy. But most people I know complain of TR grind. There is zero challenge in TR grind except trying to finish it fast. Thus this is a market for a new product that helps it.

I have a dozen capped toons. TR a few of them, and more to go.
Zero challenge, just boring. And if this product enables me to finish a TR, say half the time, how does it impact everyone else? It does not.

vVAnjilaVv
07-10-2011, 02:23 AM
I personally think TR'ing is fun if you want to relive a character.......and you have a bunch of nice gear you weren't able to equip at level the first time around.

I by no means at all think it is worth the grind for the past life feats and completionist for the most part......most people are not even going for stacking past life feats or completionist because it's fun for them, which makes me wonder why they are bothering.

This is the main issue I have.....a single TR, let alone multiples should offer a lot more than they do if your doing it solely for TR'ing to get more power.

I think the only TR I would do solely for past life feats are probably my Enchantment specc'ed bard and my Wizard......obviously because their past life feats actually add a lot of power...maybe my fighter as well...IMO the other ones currently are just fluff....or really not worth doing 3 times just to max out the past life feats. It just feels like a really well spun web that happens to trap a lot of players...and I am not hearing a lot of them rejoicing over it.

Lleren
07-10-2011, 06:54 AM

For some the Game begins at Max level, no matter what MMO they are playing.
Even on thier first time through.

For some its the leveling process, with max level as the end.

I'm been guilded with a lot more of the first type, then the second type, in every MMO I've played.

Xenostrata
07-10-2011, 09:18 AM
I like this idea.

Have it be a rare drop in some quests, or a ddo store item, that lets you bank the XP of the next quest you complete.

For instance, lets say you run elite ToD. The odds of you running that not at cap is incredibly low, which ruins any chance of keeping that tasty +50% first time bonus. So, instead of wasting it, you bring a "_____ of XP capturing" to grab all the xp you get for that quest. Maybe 25k xp is now bottled up, to be used in your next life.

Now, in your next life, you buy a 20% xp potion and run shadow crypt. The amount of xp you get is vastly superior to what you got from the last life, but the main difference is that the xp from the elite ToD now is no longer needed to be ground out.

So a slight increase to xp, but one that takes no tike to grind for?
/signed.

Chette
07-10-2011, 10:46 AM
It can be taken in more ways than your meaning of it...besides......using the word Man for both males and females is absurd...Men are men.....Women are not men......nor were the created from one.....so the term Man shouldn't even be used as a phrase that encircles both genders.

As a female, I regularly use the term "man" when speaking to just about any other player in the game. I do not spend one second to consider the gender of that person, as I couldn't give a darn.

vVAnjilaVv
07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
As a female, I regularly use the term "man" when speaking to just about any other player in the game. I do not spend one second to consider the gender of that person, as I couldn't give a darn.

Well your entitled to you stance on things.....don't expect me to agree tho.

mournbladereigns
07-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Why limit it to TR's, how about just letting me buy xp in 10k packs. Why even make me bank xp while grinding raids at cap, give it to me nao! How about starting as 2nd life TR right up front, its kind of boring. And an option on a sweet eSoS or something:)

A little to much pay to win in your proposal sorry.

/notsigned

Fallout
07-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Why limit it to TR's, how about just letting me buy xp in 10k packs. Why even make me bank xp while grinding raids at cap, give it to me nao! How about starting as 2nd life TR right up front, its kind of boring. And an option on a sweet eSoS or something:)

A little to much pay to win in your proposal sorry.

/notsigned

Notice only the detractors mention outlandish things like that. No where did anyone else say 'buy eSOS'. No where did I say go buy L20 XP. The service has to be design within reason. If someone takes 1 months instead of 3 months to do a TR life, how does it effect you? How is it an easy button? The super hard core people can knock out a TR in 3 days. People busy in RL, maybe 3 months a TR.

People complained same things about respec, but look how much it helped the game.
Its a paid service, if people are willing to pay to save time, it does not affect the game. There will always be stupid players.

What it will really help are people who can't spend 2-3 months a TR life. Also new revenue for Turbine. Win Win.

Darlor
07-11-2011, 12:37 PM
Reincarnation is not a core part of the game experience - it's not meant to be for everyone. At the moment, the effort to reward ratio is nice - it's a no-brainer for people who prefer the leveling experience over end-game content, but people don't feel the need to do it just for the extra power.

The main reason it's so grindy is that quests greatly deviate in their exp value in a seemingly arbitrary way. One quest may reward 1500xp/minute when done efficiently, while another may give no more than 300xp/minute despite the latter not being any easier, giving any better loot, or having greater total experience. If quests were at least partially normalized towards some of the more exp-rich quests (with difficulty, total length, amount of loot, etc. factored into things) then there would be much less incentive to simply hit the same quest 3-10 times.

In any event, the grind associated with TRing is a problem with its implementation - giving a paid service to ameliorate a flaw in its implementation is not a very tasteful way of dealing with the problem. Another neat idea that's been bounced around a lot in the past is to make TR xp tables the same as normal characters, but make it so TRs can only do quests on elite and epic (or at least, implement a stiff penalty for doing quests below elite, e.g. -80 to -100% xp penalty for that character, so it's still possible to help friends on normal quests and farm raids for mats).

Uska
07-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Notice only the detractors mention outlandish things like that. No where did anyone else say 'buy eSOS'. No where did I say go buy L20 XP. The service has to be design within reason. If someone takes 1 months instead of 3 months to do a TR life, how does it effect you? How is it an easy button? The super hard core people can knock out a TR in 3 days. People busy in RL, maybe 3 months a TR.

People complained same things about respec, but look how much it helped the game.
Its a paid service, if people are willing to pay to save time, it does not affect the game. There will always be stupid players.

What it will really help are people who can't spend 2-3 months a TR life. Also new revenue for Turbine. Win Win.

All I can say is slippery slope do what you want and the next thing people will be wanting to buy xp or levels

Cyr
07-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Not a fan of giving Turbine more ways to charge us for stuff that makes sense to be in the game on it's own merits and is not content.

That said, banking xp for TR's is an idea I have in the past and still agree with.

I think that people running epic quests is challenging them a heck of a lot more then them running kobold's new ringleader. I always thought that banked xp should be applied to the total xp required to level in such a manner that it reduces the xp per level needed by an equal percentage. That way you wouldn't start a TR at level 7 for example and still have the long boring grinds at levels 16-19 unaffected by you banking xp.

Challenge should always trump easy grinds. End game play pretty much always trumps leveling play, particularly on a TR, when it comes to challenge. As it stands now many many players hit 20 and TR within a week and miss out on a big part of the game, the end game.

Thrudh
07-11-2011, 12:50 PM

Excellent post, and my new sig! +1

Thrudh
07-11-2011, 12:52 PM

Yep, if TR is a grind, it's their own fault. They CHOOSE to do the same 30 quests 10x each.

Thrudh
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM

LOL... If you really detest all quests below cap, maybe you should not TR (i.e. stay at cap).

If you hate TRing so much, don't do it...

Grinding out epic items and raid loot will increase your power faster than TRing.

Bodic
07-11-2011, 12:54 PM
P2WFOnGTFO (P@WFOnGTFO)

Uska
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Not a fan of giving Turbine more ways to charge us for stuff that makes sense to be in the game on it's own merits and is not content.

That said, banking xp for TR's is an idea I have in the past and still agree with.

I think that people running epic quests is challenging them a heck of a lot more then them running kobold's new ringleader. I always thought that banked xp should be applied to the total xp required to level in such a manner that it reduces the xp per level needed by an equal percentage. That way you wouldn't start a TR at level 7 for example and still have the long boring grinds at levels 16-19 unaffected by you banking xp.

Challenge should always trump easy grinds. End game play pretty much always trumps leveling play, particularly on a TR, when it comes to challenge. As it stands now many many players hit 20 and TR within a week and miss out on a big part of the game, the end game.

The end game isnt where its at for everyone I enjoy the midlevel stuff much more myself never have liked the end game of any mmo that much and never understood the drive some people to get there so fast and their claim thats where the game starts out.

Thrudh
07-11-2011, 12:58 PM
When TRing all you want to do is get to point L20 ASAP...

Its just boring.

Don't try to get to 20 ASAP, and it's not that bad...

The trick, IMO, is to have a couple of characters at cap, and a couple of characters TRing...

Instead of focusing hard-core on one character getting back to 20 ASAP, you can enjoy all the levels, and break up the pace of play...

When I log on, I have no idea what I'm going to do... I check out the LFMs, and then decide which character to play.

There is almost zero grind when I play this way.

And if it ever feels like a grind, I go play a DIFFERENT game for a while. When I come back, DDO is fun again.

Playing a game should never feel like a grind.

gloopygloop
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

The fact that you can take it more than one way doesn't mean that it was meant in more than one way. If you dislike the use of the word "man" as a gender neutral term, then you'll need to take that up with the official English language board of directors. ...Oh, wait; there isn't one.

So just chill out, dude.

Uska
07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

The trick, IMO, is to have a couple of characters at cap, and a couple of characters TRing...

Instead of focusing hard-core on one character getting back to 20 ASAP, you can enjoy all the levels, and break up the pace of play...

When I log on, I have no idea what I'm going to do... I check out the LFMs, and then decide which character to play.

And if it ever feels like a grind, I go play a DIFFERENT game for a while. When I come back, DDO is fun again.

all of this

+1 to you sir

Cyr
07-11-2011, 01:07 PM

It should be noted that changing game design goes alot further in changing users experiences when it comes to their perception of the grind a game involves versus telling users to play the game differently.

Gremmlynn
07-11-2011, 03:33 PM
I'd rather see an alternative method of receiving past life type feats by completing epic content and end game (level 20+ equivalent) raids with capped characters. Want a past life feat ( and a respec with extra build points) either TR or use an Epic Heart of Wood to become a level 20 of whatever build you choose with the past life of your last build and extra points, but is prevented from either TRing beyond that or Epically Reincarnating until they earn a set amount of xp from end game content. ER2+ costs even more xp.

Fallout
07-11-2011, 04:00 PM

Or also have a XP bank option. Its choice. For people who has no need to it, they don't use it. But for people who wants to use it, the choice is there. I wouldn't mind TR if it was fun, but its not. Its not even a challenge, just a time sink.

The quests don't change. Static dungeons. No surprises. There are some new quest you run a few times, but thats about it.

And its 4M XP for 3+ TR. Double that of first life.

Static dungeons, double XP requirements, these artificially push people to grind/zerg quest.

Uska
07-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Or also have a XP bank option. Its choice. For people who has no need to it, they don't use it. But for people who wants to use it, the choice is there. I wouldn't mind TR if it was fun, but its not. Its not even a challenge, just a time sink.

The quests don't change. Static dungeons. No surprises. There are some new quest you run a few times, but thats about it.

And its 4M XP for 3+ TR. Double that of first life.

Static dungeons, double XP requirements, these artificially push people to grind/zerg quest.

its slightly worse its 4.3 million I dont like it and think it should be adjusted somehow but banking exp the way you suggest isnt the way to go I feel

vVAnjilaVv
07-11-2011, 09:21 PM
The fact that you can take it more than one way doesn't mean that it was meant in more than one way. If you dislike the use of the word "man" as a gender neutral term, then you'll need to take that up with the official English language board of directors. ...Oh, wait; there isn't one.

So just chill out, dude.

Oh I see...everything in books or the dictionary is proper just because it's in there......LOL

Yeah...GL with that attitude in life DUDE

Burem
07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
I don't think Turbine is going to do this. DDO has an endgame with very few (if any) real tiers of content. How are they going to hold onto hardcore players if they don't talk them into grinding out their character 20 times? The very fact that people would ask for this is an indication that the TR system is a pitiful way to stretch content instead of actually making things people want to do, but that's just my opinion.

Oh I see...everything in books or the dictionary is proper just because it's in there......LOL

Yeah...GL with that attitude in life DUDE

I'm almost 100% certain this is a thread about DDO rather than your persecution complex, man.

Wildseed
07-11-2011, 10:03 PM
I TR to try out new builds at 20, I don't TR to retry content I've been playing since beta, as if it's new. (although there is of course new content there is more old content than new) So I like this idea and would love to bank some of that first time exp for my next life to instantly go to 4 like veteran or something

So
/signed