PDA

View Full Version : Ranger PrE

dasomdas
07-07-2011, 08:04 AM
can i take elven Arcane archer AND ranger deepwood sniper?

MrLarone
07-07-2011, 08:07 AM
no, afaik you can never take 2 pre's from the same class, even if one of those is available via other means.

i'm sure somone will post the evidence for this but i remeber this being stipulated when AA first came out.

Mercureal
07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
no, afaik you can never take 2 pre's from the same class, even if one of those is available via other means.

i'm sure somone will post the evidence for this but i remeber this being stipulated when AA first came out.

This is correct. From the Compendium: http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Enhancement:Elven_Arcane_Archer_I

"Elven Arcane Archer I

You may possess only one prestige enhancement line at a time for each class. Despite being a racial enhancement, this enhancement counts as your choice of Ranger Specialties."

Kawai
07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
...you can, however, become Kensai + AA... (yea, thats two Prestiges for those of you counting at home) and its a very good "class" to exploit. Tons of Feats, Babs, and of course... DAMAGE. The Fighter line gives you access to Ranged Feats that Rangers dont even have access to, as well as enhancements. Its not a class for everyone, but its worth trying out for yourself. -Kia

MrLarone
07-07-2011, 10:25 AM
@ Kawai

absolutely.

to be clear. there is no limit on the amount of pres you can have only that you can only have one from each 9 pure classes. as we can multiclass using up to 3 different classes it's possible to have three pre's on one toon (provided all feat and AP restrictions are met)

i say this as counter to calling Kensai + AA a "class" ;-)

Failedlegend
07-07-2011, 12:11 PM
...you can, however, become Kensai + AA... (yea, thats two Prestiges for those of you counting at home) and its a very good "class" to exploit. Tons of Feats, Babs, and of course... DAMAGE. The Fighter line gives you access to Ranged Feats that Rangers dont even have access to, as well as enhancements. Its not a class for everyone, but its worth trying out for yourself. -Kia

If your crazy enough and have the twitch skill to pull it off you can make a Kensai2/AA/Mech1 (Power Surge+Manyshot = Win) IntimiHate Tanks will hate this guy.

Elven 12Fighter/7Rogue/1Wizard (Kensai2/AA/Mech1)

Stats (assuming 32pt w/ Basic, Easy to obtain boosts):

Str 14+6(Item) +1(Tome) +3(Fighter) = 24
Dex 18+6(Item) +2(Tome) +2(Elf) +2(Rogue) = 30
Con 12+6(Item) +2(Tome) = 20
Int 16+6(Item) +2(Tome) +5(Lvls) = 27

Level Order:

Rogue 1-7, Wizard 8, Fighter 9-20

Required Tomes: +2 Int Tome (Level 7) & +1 Dex Tome (Before Lvl 14)

Feats

With the fighter feats the regular feats and the wiz feat you end up with 15 feats.

1 PBS
3 WF: Ranged
6 Precise Shot
8 Mental Toughness
9 Rapid Shot, Manyshot
10 Rapid Reload
12 WS:Ranged, Bow Strength
14 IPS
15 IC:Ranged
16 GWF: Ranged
18 Quick Draw, Toughness
20 GWS: Ranged

Note: Quickdraw. Rapid Reload & Toughness can be swapped around based on you personal preference.

Skills:

Fighter/Wizard Levels: UMD,Disable Device, Search (Any leftover points from tomes/leveling put in Balance & Spot)
Rogue Lvls: UMD, OL, Disable Device, Search, Spot, Balance & w/e

You could also go Half-Elf If you'd like but dillys that this build has access to aren't worth much...ranger is redundant (mini bow str), Fighter is again redundant (martial prof), Rogue would be nice but it doesn't stack with other SA, the only two that give even minor bonuses are Barb (HP/DR) or Wizard (Cast wands/scrolls up to a level 10 wiz) but you won't have the AP to take advantage.

I would like to note that U11 is slated to turn ranged combat in general upisde down and backwards as well as many other changes including an entirely new class which might totally mess everything up so I'd really recommned waiting till U11 for any ranged build.

Twidger
07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
You could drop Mental Toughness and take Maximize with the Wizard bonus feat, and use Energy of the Scholar enhancement to qualify for AA.

Kawai
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Actually, with my first life I went through multiple Hearts of Wood after making it to Ranger-20 to get what I felt was right for me. DDO hearts are expensive, but it was worth it. With my second life i have perfected it for myself. The build in question being Fighter-12 Ranger-6 Rogue-2. You still get 15 feats, maximum bow damage, 2 Favored enemys (which, at high level is pretty close to all i need anyway) very good skill points and of course -Evasion. ~Kensai II AA~

Failedlegend
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
You could drop Mental Toughness and take Maximize with the Wizard bonus feat, and use Energy of the Scholar enhancement to qualify for AA.

That would be nice except theres nothing for me to use maximize on being that im only using 1 lvl of wiz (unless maximize somehow effect imbued arrows

Twidger
07-08-2011, 08:04 PM
That would be nice except theres nothing for me to use maximize on being that im only using 1 lvl of wiz (unless maximize somehow effect imbued arrows

Maximize works on Cure spells. Some rangers take it for CSW, though some prefer not to use their blue bar for healing.

Failedlegend
07-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Maximize works on Cure spells. Some rangers take it for CSW, though some prefer not to use their blue bar for healing.

These are my classes..12Fighter/7Rogue/1Wizard...only spells ill have is likely feather fall, jump and expeditious retreat

Twidger
07-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Ah, good point. I hadn't realized you'd gone with the fighter build. Mea culpa.

Failedlegend
07-08-2011, 10:36 PM
Ah, good point. I hadn't realized you'd gone with the fighter build. Mea culpa.

No worries :)

Kinerd
07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
@ Kawai

absolutely.

to be clear. there is no limit on the amount of pres you can have only that you can only have one from each 9 pure classes. as we can multiclass using up to 3 different classes it's possible to have three pre's on one toon (provided all feat and AP restrictions are met)

i say this as counter to calling Kensai + AA a "class" ;-)You can even have 4 so long as one is AA. The only ones that conflict are:

FB and Assassin
Any Ranger and AA
DoS and SD
HotD and Radiant Servant
Any Savant, Angel of Vengeance, Archmage, and Pale Master

You could do a Pale Master, Hunter of the Dead, Arcane Archer, Assassin, or a Pale Arcane Assassin Master for short, or PAAM for even shorter.

KreepyKritter
07-10-2011, 07:41 PM
If your crazy enough and have the twitch skill to pull it off you can make a Kensai2/AA/Mech1

let's assume 12Fighter/7Rogue/1Wizard

With the fighter feats the regualr feats and the wiz feat you end up with 15 feats.

Not in any order:

1 Manyshot
2 WF: Ranged
3 GWF: Ranged
4 WS: Ranged
5 GWS: Ranged
6 Bow Strength
7 Toughness
8 PBS
9 Rapid Shot
10 Rapid Reload
11 Precise Shot
12 IPS
13 IC:Ranged
14 Mental Toughness
15 Quick Draw

Stats (assuming 32pt):

Half-Elf

Str 14
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 16

Elf

Str 14
Dex 18
Con 12
Int 16

I'd say your best bet is Elf...the Half-Elf dillys that this build has access to aren't worth much...ranger is redundant (mini bow str), Fighter is again redundant (martial prof), Rogue would be nice but it doesn't stack with other SA, the only two that give even minor bonuses are Barb (HP/DR) or Wizard (Cast wands/scrolls up to a level 10 wiz)

I would like to note that U11 is slated to turn ranged combat in general upisde down and backwards as well as many other changes including an entirely new class which might totally mess everything up so I'd really recommned waiting till U11 for any ranged build.

Why have you dumpstatted con on your Elf build?

Honestly, you could take Con up to 14 (at least), make more out of that bow strength feat, and actually have some appreciable HP by endgame.

Str 16
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 16

Failedlegend
07-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Why have you dumpstatted con on your Elf build?

Honestly, you could take Con up to 14 (at least), make more out of that bow strength feat, and actually have some appreciable HP by endgame.

Str 16
Dex 16
Con 14
Int 16

ummm...its not dump statted I prefer to have 14 Con but 12 is acceptable (especially on a -2 con race) and its ends up being a difference of 20 HP...with your version I'll need a +3 tome to take some of the feats i want.

Note: Cleaned build post up a bit, added a few things and put the feats in order.