PDA

View Full Version : Monk Dark to Light Experiences

SensaiRyu
07-05-2011, 11:48 AM
At lvl 17 I LR'd my second-life HElf dark monk to light. So my first life was dark and up to lvl 16 my second life was dark also. I was very happy with both dark builds. But I really hated not having DR beaters other than shortswords - no Devout wraps, no ToD ring, and my first life build had room for improvement.

There's not much different between this build and my second-life dark build - mostly the Shintao line is all I changed. I may LR again and swap the str/wis scores for a bit more DC on light moves. I took rogue dilly's for better trap saves and because squeezing in cleric dilly III/Void IV/Shintao III/Versatility enhancements is rough.

I chose to have a nice str for a better chance at tripping and SB procs. I rarely use trip anymore - too many other options on my quickbar. SB is good when I'm running low on Ki.

Things I like - 4 stunning attacks. Kukan-Do almost always procs and is great for mages in elite Coal Chamber where they keep casting lightning at you while you're climbing. It's also great when SF/SB fail. Heal guard and Healing Ki are fairly useful.

Things I don't like - I either have too little ki or too much ki. Tomb of Jade has way too long a cooldown. I haven't gotten the hang of all the attacks - I should probably use Jade Strike more often.

Here's my build:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Half-Elf Female
(20 Monk)
Hit Points: 304
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 15
Will: 16

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(34 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 22
Dexterity 15 17
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 16 18
Charisma 8 10

Skills
Concentration/Balance/Jump. Dump into Tumble

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Everything

Level 1 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Diehard
Feat: (Half-Elf Dilettante) Half-Elf Dilettante: Rogue
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Disciple of the Fist
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Harmonious Balance: Fists of Light

Level 4 (Monk)
Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Stunning Blow
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Toughness

Level 7 (Monk)

Level 8 (Monk)

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Monk)

Level 17 (Monk)
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Human Versatility I
Enhancement: Human Versatility II
Enhancement: Human Versatility III
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise I
Enhancement: Way of the Patient Tortoise II
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery I
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery II
Enhancement: Monk Improved Recovery III
Enhancement: Shintao Monk I
Enhancement: Shintao Monk II
Enhancement: Void Strike I
Enhancement: Void Strike II
Enhancement: Void Strike III
Enhancement: Adept of Wind
Enhancement: Master of Thunder
Enhancement: Adept of Rock
Enhancement: Master of Stone
Enhancement: Adept of Flame
Enhancement: Master of Bonfires
Enhancement: Adept of Rain
Enhancement: Master of the Sea
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
Enhancement: Improved Jump I
Enhancement: Half-Elf Improved Trap Sense I

Level 18 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Half-Elf Improved Trap Sense II
Enhancement: Grandmaster of the Sun
Enhancement: Shintao Monk III

Level 19 (Monk)
Enhancement: Void Strike IV

Level 20 (Monk)
Enhancement: Improved Rogue Dilettante II
Enhancement: Monk Serenity

Overall I get good dmg. I haven't had much problems with SF/SB saves yet unless I'm running a quest a bit higher than me. Kukan-Do almost always procs. Tomb of Jade lands less often based on the quest. In Genesis Point Tomb of Jade hits about 50% of the time @ 36 DC. I didn't really count. Kukan-Do hits most of the time - I almost always wear +10 stun wraps.

One noteworthy thing (to me at least)... I was able to solo Lord of Eyes at lvl 18 - I successfully used Tomb of Jade or stun on almost all the beholders - even Opuloxx. A healer joined me shortly before the boss run. He healed while I solo'd Belashyrra. No deaths. This is something I don't think my dark monk would've been able to do. But then it wasn't a Metaru build.

Between dark monk and light monk, I'm finding this build is growing on me - although a bit harder with all the moves I can use. I don't have any metalline/good wraps and have a bunch of element burst/good or holy-stun/vertigo/bane/disruption/etc. wraps. It's nice to actually have a wrap selection for any mob I encounter.

Overall the build is turning out useful in the high level quests. Good survivability, nice DPS, and excellent saves with a splash of party support. I own all the monsters I used to be wary of, bearded devils, orthons, renders/reavers/flensers, beholders. My build is probably a bit wis anemic - I'll wait and see in epics before I LR to fix it - but it gets the job done and is fun to play. I never thought that I'd enjoy a light monk.